• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelue

Smash Lord
I just realized that the old BF let's me use music that fits that wouldn't match on most other legal stages. I'd have to move the song from Bob$'s combo video to another stage though... daytime smashville works but nighttime doesn't. Yoshi's melee stage, maybe...
I am not losing that song, ever.

Oldeeber

Smash Cadet
i saw a video of some1 aerial glide tossing under dreamland by throwing a projectile up and the stage and catching it, then DIing towards the left or right. Is that still possible? or was that really outdated.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
She looks like a rejected vocaloid singer mixed with a cheap hooker. At least they made Zelda (on top of being somewhat attractive in a weird Wind Waker/anime way) somewhat of an actual character as opposed to "I do ****. Save me. Lol jk you're the one who needs saving. Let me shoot light **** and turn into a dude so you can live." Also, Groose's attempted suicide was fricking hilarious.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
for spacies because it's more practical? and faster in certain situations. plus to JC out of shine with y/x you need to let go of b, and if you just so happen to mess up off stage your jump will not register so it's always safer to tap-jump out of shine when offstage.

You can just slide from the B button over A and onto X without any problems. Even if you press A accidentally, it doesn't mess anything up because there's no buffer and the shine is only interruptable by jump.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
You can just slide from the B button over A and onto X without any problems. Even if you press A accidentally, it doesn't mess anything up because there's no buffer and the shine is only interruptable by jump.
I only find this useful for multi shining...it all comes down to personal preference i guess.

metroid1117

Smash Master
That's true, but the distance from B to X is a lot larger than the distance from down to up on the analog stick. It's not a question of which is easier, it's just that shine -> up -> C-stick/A is faster than shine -> X -> C-stick/A. I personally can't imagine someone getting a shine -> turnaround BAir on Link at 235% with Fox any other way.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
My gf told me to post in here that she highly approves of the new peefcam on JC's stream.

Andshelikesyourbeardcmart.grumblegrumble "Hey daz, why can't you grow a beard?"

T_T

leelue

Smash Lord
That's true, but the distance from B to X is a lot larger than the distance from down to up on the analog stick. It's not a question of which is easier, it's just that shine -> up -> C-stick/A is faster than shine -> X -> C-stick/A. I personally can't imagine someone getting a shine -> turnaround BAir on Link at 235% with Fox any other way.
I want to retire at smash after watching this. I feel like a scrubbing bubble

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Fox's shine has set KB so the percent is irrelevant in this clip (outside of the fact it's a % where bair will definitely kill)

kaizo13

Smash Champion
the point is that tap-jump leaves you with a free right thumb to C-stick/A faster than sliding from b>x

metroid1117

Smash Master
Fox's shine has set KB so the percent is irrelevant in this clip (outside of the fact it's a % where bair will definitely kill)
The KB growth on Fox's shine is set to 0? My bad, I didn't know that.

Kink-Link5 said:
Dark made some very very smart choices in some of those combos, but combo videos make me skeptical since there's always the chance that a lot of the combos are staged.
Actually, I think Dark's choices were excessively flashy and sometimes altogether impractical (the short-hop laser cross-up on Pikachu is a good example of this), but incredibly entertaining and impressive haha.

By the way, if anyone wants more of Dark, they should watch this video. I'd personally be surprised if they didn't see it though, since it was linked onto the homepage.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Actually, I think Dark's choices were excessively flashy and sometimes altogether impractical (the short-hop laser cross-up on Pikachu is a good example of this), but incredibly entertaining and impressive haha.
Isn't that what he's most famous for?

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't the whole thing with the Perfect Dark combo video was that it WAS set up and tool assisted? I mean, there's even a disclaimer saying "even the fastest player is limited by the speed of his fingers, or his mind's ability to control them... but when speed is not a factor... when theory becomes reality... the game can be pushed to its limits"

That's basically saying "these are some sweet combos that could never really happen"

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Wasn't the whole thing with the Perfect Dark combo video was that it WAS set up and tool assisted? I mean, there's even a disclaimer saying "even the fastest player is limited by the speed of his fingers, or his mind's ability to control them... but when speed is not a factor... when theory becomes reality... the game can be pushed to its limits"

That's basically saying "these are some sweet combos that could never really happen"
That's a quote from Perfect Control (unless it was from something else before that, but that's where I saw it first).

Dark is the guy who's well known for being super technical in his gameplay even though he's not a top-level player. He doesn't win tournaments or beat people better than him, but he can do fast maneuvers that almost nobody else can do.

That's probably the joke saying that he can play as perfectly as a TAS. But no, those are all real clips.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
How do you not be the best player in the game if you have that level tech skill? Not even Ken could out tech-skill what's in that video.

Last I checked tech-skill was 99% of how you win.

metroid1117

Smash Master
How do you not be the best player in the game if you have that level tech skill? Not even Ken could out tech-skill what's in that video.

Last I checked tech-skill was 99% of how you win.
Tech-skill is vital to expanding what options you have and how much you can profit from punishing a mistake, but what's even more important (especially in high levels of play) is how smart you play. In an interview, Lovage stated that Mango has one of the worst tech skill compared to top players such as Armada, Dr. PP, and Mew2King, but the reason why he's so successful is because he plays so intelligently. High level of play revolves around positioning your character so that you can limit your opponent's options while remaining as safe as possible (spacing); this is especially true when both players are in the neutral position trying to get the first hit. Having all the tech skill in the world doesn't help when you are constantly put in bad positions such that you can't get any momentum to attack your opponent and they can read which option you pick. Cactuar is a textbook example of a player who's notorious for displaying relatively (note: relatively) little tech skill compared to other Fox players but is extremely good at positioning himself so he can score hits without being counter-attacked.

Also, Ken wasn't technical at all compared to today's standards; Ken's strengths were his god-like precision in his dash-dancing and ability to get good reads. I remember an old video where he played Mango's Puff at Evo and baited Mango into approaching by FSmashing just out of a punishable range, then shielding and counter-attacking. Granted, that Mango is clearly not the Mango of today, but it just goes to show how far you can get by good positioning and reads.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
My gf told me to post in here that she highly approves of the new peefcam on JC's stream.

Andshelikesyourbeardcmart.grumblegrumble "Hey daz, why can't you grow a beard?"

T_T
See JCz? After the last weekend I was there, your swag went up by 1000 levels. And you didn't even have to try. That was only the tip of the iceberg my friend.

Thank you #based me.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
EXACTLY! I actually pride myself on being able to beat players with tech skill orders of magnitude better than mine :p

Anyone see me on VGBootcamp's Melee stream Tuesday night? I just dsmash a lot with Peach and beat real Melee players hehe.
See JCz? After the last weekend I was there, your swag went up by 1000 levels. And you didn't even have to try. That was only the tip of the iceberg my friend.

Thank you #based me.
So you gonna come over this weekend and show the Smash community how to be technical in game and stylish IRL at the same time?

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom