• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Why not have the jump button just do the footstool as it does in vanilla? It seems more intuitive to press the JUMP button to JUMP someone's head >_>
Just disable footstooling on grounded opponents since it useless and happens more frequently on accident.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
air footstool happens on accident somtimes too thats why it gets its own button. i think they did it like that to appeal to the melee fans but still keep the brawl fans happy.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I have X, Y, and R all set to jump (tap jump off), and I use them all in different situations. I wouldn't be able to drop one of them without seriously adjusting my playstyle, but I'm old and set in my ways so **** that.

The D-pad is a terrible place to try to hit while trying to footstool someone. You either have to reach all the way across with your right thumb, or let go of the control stick and lose your aerial control.

:phone:

Jonas

Smash Champion
air footstool happens on accident somtimes too thats why it gets its own button. i think they did it like that to appeal to the melee fans but still keep the brawl fans happy.
I don't really care if I meteor smash someone on accident. It's a good outcome in any situation, except if you do it to yor team mate.

shanus

Smash Hero
I don't really care if I meteor smash someone on accident. It's a good outcome in any situation, except if you do it to yor team mate.
Except, it often will trigger a footstool jump only on yourself and not on the opponent. The opponent cannot be impacted by a footstool during certain actions, which leads to the frequent "phantom" footstools in brawl. This can particularly happen a lot while edgeguarding and can completely mess you up and give the player a free ride back.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Oh hey, you guys changed Bowser's ledge get-up attack animations back to melee :D Thank you so much<33

Seriously though, thank you guys for the time and effort that you've put into this game. Thank you for creating such an amazing project.

I hope you guys keep the name btw. Project M has a ring to it.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
In addition to what shanus said, even when it is a good outcome it's not one you earned. You just got it through luck, thus cheapening it for yourself and especially your opponent.

Stevo

Smash Champion
For the record, I would not play P:M if footstool was with jump like in brawl.
Footstools feel like air tripping to me. I can live with them being on a seperate button, so at least I don't have to do them by accident.

I'm not saying that view is justified, but I'm sure there are other melee players that would feel that way too.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
For the record, I would not play P:M if footstool was with jump like in brawl.
Footstools feel like air tripping to me. I can live with them being on a seperate button, so at least I don't have to do them by accident.

I'm not saying that view is justified, but I'm sure there are other melee players that would feel that way too.
Aren't footstools set to a specific button? Like X to footstool or something?

ALSO: I just got back into the PM community after my troublesome classes. What does it mean Toon Link Announced? :p

metroid1117

Smash Master
Except, it often will trigger a footstool jump only on yourself and not on the opponent. The opponent cannot be impacted by a footstool during certain actions, which leads to the frequent "phantom" footstools in brawl. This can particularly happen a lot while edgeguarding and can completely mess you up and give the player a free ride back.
A particularly annoying example of this that happened to me a lot in Brawl is when I try to edgehop DAir spike someone out of their up+B, but end up doing a footstool and they're not effected because they're in their up+B animation. I could see footstooling potentially screwing up a lot of edgeguards that involve grabbing the edge and attacking out of a double-jump during the invincibility frames.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Oh yes, auto-footstool nade me die repeatedly. It's good for it to be mapped elsewhere. I've never used it in Project M, not even once.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Why not have the jump button just do the footstool as it does in vanilla? It seems more intuitive to press the JUMP button to JUMP someone's head >_>
Just disable footstooling on grounded opponents since it useless and happens more frequently on accident.
Footstooling grounded opponents is actually one of the most practical uses for the tech. It gives you one extra mixup when they think they are going to punish your landing.

You'd also have to misspace your approach to be high enough to accidentally footstool someone while appoaching a grounded enemy. The hurtbox for footstooling is very small while standing on the ground, and you'd have to be on their head.

It could realistically happen to King DDD, but not really anyone else.

Accedental air footstools on the other hand are far more frequent. And since they happen durring edgeguarding, they are the most frustrating.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I personally feel that crawling is the only new movement option I found acceptable in Brawl. Wallcling, footstoll, tripping, ergh. Although now that we made the ledgegrab have priority over wallcling, this one annoys me less.

Now we need Zero and have his wall cling slide down the wall >.>.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's a shame you don't like a good movement option like RAR or anything you can do with less strict pivots for easier defensive options. I guess there's so DACUS and DACG and DACPG.

Wavebouncing (and not just neutral B reversal, which was also in Melee, iirc) is also an important thing for your character in particular. Not as much now, but still.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
I don't know what's wrong with just learning to use X to jump and Y for footstools, really.
it would be the opposite for me....i haven't touched the x button in years.

Y button aaaall-dayyy
tap-jump for spacies and multi-jump chars

metroid1117

Smash Master
Wavebouncing (and not just neutral B reversal, which was also in Melee, iirc) is also an important thing for your character in particular. Not as much now, but still.
Which character are you referring to? I don't know about P:M, but I thought the only character that really benefited from wavebouncing was Lucas since he drifts back so much during PK Fire.

Also, when you say "neutral B reversal," do you mean turning around before using neutral B (turnaround-B)? B-reversing refers to turning around during a special attack and changing your momentum, so it's not quite the same as a turnaround-B. I'm not trying to be nit-picky, but I could see B-reversing being a legit tactic for some characters (i.e. Ike/Falcon/Ganon using B-reversal side+Bs during the running animation [outside of dash-dance range], Falco mixing up short-hop B-reversed lasers with turnaround lasers, Sheik/DK mixing up B-reverse needles/punch with turnaround needles/punch, etc.), so differentiating between the two could become important.

Wait why would you have tap jump on for spacies and jigglypuff.
Tap-jump for spacies (especially Falco) makes shine -> BAir much easier/faster, since you don't have to jump and attack with the same finger (Y/X -> C-stick/A is slower than up [jump] -> C-stick/A). I don't know why you'd want it with Puff though.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Gona put up a stream soon. I'm just testing my capture card on my new laptop.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
I can B Reversal irl. You guys jelly?

It's a shame you don't like a good movement option like RAR or anything you can do with less strict pivots for easier defensive options.
Many characters, particularly Ganon and Lucas (but who gives a **** about Lucas?), have a very good DACUS; and Squirtle still has the faptastic Hydroplaning in his arsenal. If all else fails, B Reversalling (not to be confused with simply reversing the direction of a special), wavelanding, and playing carefully in general are still very good options.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
You could.

Wavebouncing IS b-reversing and keeps your momentum. The Mario Brothers, Bowser, Charizard and a lot of characters benefit from it. It's just that people who (a don't play brawl and (b didn't know the mechanics well enough to use them when/while they play/played didn't know about them and sleep on the usages.

Or 9k+1 can say what I was essentially saying. I already know about the movement options that Brawl gives because I still play Brawl, lol. What I'm saying is that there are a lot of small things that are drifting out of Vigi's "acceptable" threshold.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Wait why would you have tap jump on for spacies and jigglypuff.
for spacies because it's more practical? and faster in certain situations. plus to JC out of shine with y/x you need to let go of b, and if you just so happen to mess up off stage your jump will not register so it's always safer to tap-jump out of shine when offstage.

and tap-jump on multi-jump chars is just something i got used to. works for my juggles

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Or 9k+1 can say what I was essentially saying. I already know about the movement options that Brawl gives because I still play Brawl, lol. What I'm saying is that there are a lot of small things that are drifting out of Vigi's "acceptable" threshold.
Your definition of "acceptable" is an extremely tight window to cancel DA into Usmash?

Oh right, you're a Sheik main >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom