• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

No sane magic player plays formats where black lotus and force of will are legal.

As a matter of fact, the most common and most supported competitive formats are draft and sealed because limited formats are inherently more balanced, less expensive, and less ********.
Vintage is a fine format and there's nothing wrong with it. I used to play vintage all the time and it's surprisingly well-balanced.

Draft and sealed are only "more balanced" because the power level is so much lower that most decisions in a game are automatic and/or have a near-negligible effect on the game state. If you want to play big boy magic where your decisions actually matter, you have to play the expensive cards.

edit:

I couldn't figure out whether I should be laughing or be upset after seeing this. But I'll laugh anyway because of her reaction. lmao
Actually I agree with the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I like formats where by such a small decision like "what land do I play turn 1?" can and will lose you the game if you make the wrong choice.
The lack of forgiveness in each and every decision you make is exhilarating and rewards you for your play in a way you don't quite see in the more popular formats.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Yeah Umbreon, half of the world's population living in poverty is just fantastic news for all!

Maybe in some douchey, libertarian "I've got mine, screw you!" relativist morality, but not if you give a **** about people.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
that feel when neko has a new tails avatar

that feel when apex was an awesome experience

that feel when i helped a smasher who was having a extremely severe panic attack and i ran through the hotel at super sonic speed while "Super Sonic Racing" was playing in my head lololol

also

I'm convinced. I'm going to get a Kappa shirt with my very next paycheck.

It is mandatory.

:V

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Actually I agree with the guy.
Umbreon, I love you. This guy is bad at explaining what he meant, but he shoved it right in that girl's face when she was trying to bait him. In the end the situation was bad for both parties, but I agree with that guy.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
When I was younger, I tried getting into card games until I realized that if I didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks on thin pieces of cardboard a printer was all I needed. I liked to Pokemon trading card game actually.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I used to play the Pokemon TCG until a couple of years ago when the format kept on getting easier to play, stale, and seemingly more reliant on luck rather than decklist or skill level.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Umbreon, I love you. This guy is bad at explaining what he meant, but he shoved it right in that girl's face when she was trying to bait him. In the end the situation was bad for both parties, but I agree with that guy.
Nobody thinks to themselves "Half the world population is in poverty, and that is just fantastic", unless they lack any feelings of empathy or remorse towards other human beings. If they do, then by definition that person is a psychopath, which is not exactly someone I'd side with on anything.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
errrrr no
it's straight up banned in Legacy
trust me the only format I play is Legacy

:(

As an aside, the cost of Legacy at the very least is pretty misleading; playing Standard for a few years is more expensive than Legacy ultimately because the constant rotation forces you into buying brand new decks. With Legacy it's a onetime investment, albeit large, that sets you up to play the format from that day forward. Not to mention that the price of many staple printings only goes up over time whereas with Standard printings they see an inevitable steep drop as they rotate.
My bad, I miss-saw that.
But, I won't disagree with the fact that Standard is extremely expensive - the reason I see the older formats as more expensive is because of some of the enormous trump cards that can populate your entire deck, turning it into a money hole. But, truth be told my Standard deck is a bit of a money hole at the moment too, so it can go either way I suppose.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
When I was younger, I tried getting into card games until I realized that if I didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks on thin pieces of cardboard a printer was all I needed. I liked to Pokemon trading card game actually.
I use to do the same thing. Instead of buying the cards, I proxied most of my deck by printing them out, glue it on a actual card and put it in a card sleeve. Spent less than $1 making a deck.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Nobody thinks to themselves "Half the world population is in poverty, and that is just fantastic", unless they lack any feelings of empathy or remorse towards other human beings. If they do, then by definition that person is a psychopath, which is not exactly someone I'd side with on anything.
If you really badly want to talk about this, please pm me. I would like to avoid talking about political matters in the Social Thread.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
With P:M now having the cast finished, I want this to be edited with Melee on it instead.

I recently lost my SD, so I've been playing a lot more Melee recently. It's made me realize that I'll never be able to let it go, regardless of how good PM ends up being. At worst, Melee is a really great practice tool. At best, it's a beautiful game that gives me a chance to relive childhood memories and create new ones in a competitive way.

That being said, I really need to find that SD!

D

Deleted member

Yeah Umbreon, half of the world's population living in poverty is just fantastic news for all!

Maybe in some douchey, libertarian "I've got mine, screw you!" relativist morality, but not if you give a **** about people.
The human condition is poverty by nature. Man is born with nothing and any sense of wealth after that is earned. By all rights, 100% of the world's population should be born into poverty and remain there indefinitely. That our current situation in humanity is so wealthy that people can be born into wealth is actually quite a miraculous accomplishment given the scope of the situation. Even more fantastic is that the overwhelming majority of earth's inhabitants can actually achieve disposable income and extraneous wealth simply by pursuing their goals, which is a stark contrast to 99.9% of human existence and the entire animal kingdom where one's means of survival is pre-determined and set for one's entire lifespan. Only half of the world's population living in poverty means that the other half was able to defy the naturally and strictly worse living circumstance implicit to living on this planet. That is, frankly, miraculous.

At some point you have to consider feasibility. It is simply not feasible to provide earth's entire population with the condition of wealth. In the real world, you have to make trade-offs between pursuit of the ideal and accepting some weaker threshold for success to keep your goals realistic. Every time you wake up in the morning and you've slept in a heated bed without worrying about the cold, your next meal, or safety, you have already in some way taken on the "screw you I've got mine" morality, else you would distribute that wealth to others that do not have it. Yet most people with those things do not share them. I don't share my wealth. And you probably don't either in any meaningful way. And there's nothing wrong with that, because at the end of the day we don't live in some fantasy world. If you don't have the frame of reference to understand what it means for half of the world's population to be able to cheat the natural human condition of poverty, it is only because you are already so fantastically wealthy that you cannot relate to it. It's okay to simply be thankful for your situation.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Wtf were you guys seriously talking about magic the gathering for the last few pages? If thats my fault then im actually really sorry

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
With P:M now having the cast finished, I want this to be edited with Melee on it instead.

Only kidding. I never get rid of good Nintendo games, even if they sit the shelf collecting dust.
That be stupid on your part cause copies of Melee having rose in price so now they are about $40 to $50 bucks and that's for USED COPIES.

Also Melee is a one of a kind game, cherish it like you cherish children or a fine wine or a beautiful portrait in a museum. Also that Gif is hilarious at least the smash community is smart enough to not jump ship on every new game in the series released no matter what even if the game is trash unlike some communities in the FGC "cough Capcom community cough"

Last edited:
Top Bottom