• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
the dpad buttons actually start out as tilt modifiers, so the idea is you theoretically have access to every possible tilt

except in reality it results in like a kajillion different combinations and even narrowing those down to stuff like best WD angles will still result in you learning how to hold a lot of god damn buttons
Yeah that's what I figured they did from watching the video, and I came to the exact same conclusion you did. Seems unnecessarily complicated for something that a simple analog stick could fix.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the argument, afaik, is that it could technically count as a "macro"... forgetting that macros in FGC terms take away flat timing, and isn't just two inputs smooshed together

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Yeah, a smash hitbox with an analog stick would be a ****ing beautiful future.

And I'm 100% sure there will be super strict traditionalists who will violently opposed anyone who refuses the trials of their Lord and Savior, fox McCloud, attah attah blink blink toriyah

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
So I read back on the conversation some of you were having. Starting from here..

I think natural is being used in the context of wanting to do something and it happens more or less without substantial change from the desire intended.

Basically not awkward

as opposed to nature made laws.

also more thoughts about ded things and becoming bored of being alive sounds spooky too. Eventually if you were like thousands of years old it might happen. Then it's like if deity thing exists how does salvation work. Are you actually happy, is salvation actually /salvation/?

friggen spooked man. friggen spooked.
...and have a question for you all.
(whoever was discussing it)

The question is basically this... What is it that this does for you? Or what do you get out of it?
(Or if this is the wrong question)

Is there some way that this kind of contemplation benefits you in daily living? How do you make use of this kind of understanding? Is there a way or thing you notice in yourself from exploring this?

I'm simply not sure how any of this is really use-able or how you make use of what you've been discussing. It's a little too abstract for my liking I suppose.

The academic approach in general, which (both technically and therefore historically) isn't one of transformation, is like going into a tunnel (down the rabbit hole) and hitting a series of perpetual dead-ends.

Which you've covered, and is essentially this.

This is where it gets all speculatory and science fiction though
This plays a part in the dead-ending of it even, and quite obviously so.

Basically this is science fiction. I get that all of this abstract and in fun for the most part, but it is such a bad model.
The model is as incomplete as the 'Computer Model' for the brain and almost every other model in the mainstream world of study.
BUT!
These models have their place. Which is good. They're not something that needs shunning, their place is their place.
This is within the academic approach and will always fold to its own roots. It's functional, to a point, and that's that.
It has its place.

^with that in mind
Back to the questions (above)

How does this benefit you?
How does discussing and contemplating and thinking about this kind of abstract and speculatory thing, benefit a human being living a life-experience yada-yada?

The best I can come up with is that it can provide a sort of blanket inspiration from looking at these things. Or the philosophers game of not knowing what one thinks until one bounces it off another.
Otherwise, the standard analysis and contemplation through academic methods is basically banking on epiphanies and acts as a form of rubber-ducking each other over and over to see what happens.
Which then your best bet in the practical order is to Koan yourself into insight.

And that's leaning HEAVILY on that classic great (as in significant) difference between overplaying oneself into fluency vs being fluent at the play. Hence so often it ends up with a kind of information-heavy era where everyone learns everything they can about swimming and nobody actually learns how to swim (the difference is obviously very significant) and people wind up drowning in their ignorance while full of information they hoped would keep their head above the water.

This may be handy for this kind of thing if it goes too deep.
Seriously, though, if you feel like talking about this kind of thing, feel free to hmu on discord, here or wherever. I got plenty of time.
So the question is that I'm intrigued, since you're all being fairly smart about this, how is it that this kind of topic intrigues YOU?

What is it about this dissecting of the possible mechanics -and/or- study of beyond-what-we-know stuff 'cool' to you?

Or what has it done for you?

Or what about your life is different because of the looking-into-this that you've done and do?

TOO LONG DID NOT READ

Specifically

Question: What is it about the academic approach to this topic that benefits you in your actual liveliness?

I'll chime in some things eventually, but this is interesting me plenty.

Mostly what I'm leaning on is how this can be discussed without the abstractions, and some directions this would go if another angle of approach was brought to the table.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Yo why did I not see this before and why is it the most amazing cringey 3mins of my life

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
HTC usually does it right when it's Smash related. Sharp people over there

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The point is generally buttons are much more responsive than a stick. There's an obvious threshold for when the input is active and isn't, on top of the buttons being low mass so both your finger and the elastic mechanism inside (be it a rubber pad or spring idk what hitboxes actually use) and press and release it as rapidly as possible. Buttons also allow you to push multiple at at one time, which is low energy and doesn't involve travel time of a stick, so if you want to left-right-left it can be as simple as hold left, press and release right; the same applies for other movements like quarter circles/dp inputs/etc most of which aren't in smash or exist in different forms but smash also has a lot of others, making for less strain on the hands and less dependency on the speed at which you move your wrist.

but hopefully the layout they use changes once the kickstarter opens. I hope that's just a prototype, because moving your whole right hand to use partial angles is really really inconvenient for stuff that requires quick angling. I hope they didn't test like just ****ing melee high/top tiers or some **** because they'll completely not account for designs that would benefit low tiers/characters in other games that need near-instantaneous angling, like m2 teleports and the like.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Nausicaa Nausicaa
TOO LONG DID NOT READ
Question: What is it about the academic approach to this topic that benefits you in your actual liveliness?
Mostly what I'm leaning on is how this can be discussed without the abstractions, and some directions this would go if another angle of approach was brought to the table.
Your first question boils down to philosophy. Idk what your worldview is, so I'm just going to be straight about what I think without sugarcoating it. Existence is absurd. Any pursuit in life is personal preference. But also there is no free will (That is why trying to create a moral system, especially a categorical one is really stupid, but for practical purposes we should have a . Universe isn't deterministic either for quantum mechanical reasons.

So really your question should be, "what is your metric for success?" Is it a happy social life, wealth, spiritual, academic? I think all of these things can be correct for a person. I'd prefer people choose their metric success with the knowledge that there is no right or wrong answer, so they could give up their anxieties about choosing.

People like talking about new developments in science for the same reason they like watching Star Trek. The human mind wants to speculate and solve problems. As early as Aristotle, writers understood when writing fiction, there should be catharsis; people want to feel a spectrum of emotions. People want to seek out conflicts and resolve them with a satisfying conclusion. People avoid drama in their life, because the stakes are personal (plus the conflict wouldn't really be so if the "protagonists" weren't trying to resolve it), but honestly they partly enjoy it, sometimes they instigate it. This is why fiction: you get to have that fun and exciting conflict without having to handle the consequences.

Now you ask why the abstract. Firstly, Abstract problems arise out of concrete problems. Abstract problems offer us complete information, where concrete problems are too multifaceted to ever tackle. By creating theory and testing it against the concrete, we are far more productive. the success in using math and science to predict the natural world. See: Mendeleev predicting elements and their properties, being so accurate as to correct a researcher who discovered the element, but made errors in his measurements.

The "academic approach"* is, in fact, practical in advancing typical metanarratives. Personally, I don't care about teleological justifications for my or other people's actions: most of the time they function as rationalizations; the remaining cases are unattainable.
*This term carries no clear meaning. I think you mean making an effort to learn in general. However, due to your questioning implying you are critical of this "approach", you come across as very anti-intellectual. It seems you are, at best, a pragmatist; at worst you support demagogy.
All this talk of 4d and no one's wondering what the 4dpds look like
Seriously, why isn't an anime loosely premised on String theory out there. It could fit in really well with the red string of fate thing in Japanese culture. Wait, don't tell me; I haven't watched Steins;Gate past the first two episodes.

Wait, I just came to the realization that we are probably trapped in a huge pyramid scheme of rules. TBH the universe is probably making up **** as we go along, so physicists will solve it. Universe is a bitcoin mining operation.

Guys, if you could would you.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
So you have 4 guys, all with supernatural powers, which allow lightning quick and precise attacks. One of them can destroy parts of reality. ONE OF THEM CAN STOP TIME FOR 2 SECONDS.

THEY ALL LET THE VILLAIN GET AWAY ON A MOTORBIKE DURING EXPOSITION. I CAN'T ANIME ANYMORE.
Maybe in the manga it doesn't seem as dumb because the action is assumed to be still happening while you read the dialogue. But in a TV show you have everyone just stand around and talk it is just so obvious that they didn't think about adapting it to a new medium at all, WHY?

e: Ok so the caught up to him, but still. STANDING AROUND.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Lizalfos Lizalfos Looks awesome, will read thoroughly and reply properly when I'm not supar buzay and my finger isn't bleeding.

In other news, I went to a local tournament on Tuesday and it was super fun.
20 to 40 people with 2$ entry per event type of gatherings feel so much more intimate and pleasant than those massive events where it's super noisy and time-constrained. A nice relaxing pace so everyone can get friendlies in, and a top-5 payout with cheap entries is something I can accept. Taking hundreds in cash from friends who more often than not actually need it more than me never felt good. Lots of discussions about the game and catching up with people I haven't seen in almost a year. Playing the games I don't usually get to play (dabbled in S4 when I first got there and that game is wack)

Very fun. It's nice to be playing this game again. Been a long time.

To add to it, my little bro started playing at the same time I did and set up a PM in his room and practiced over the weekend, and was doing REALLY well against some of the better players that came over.
He came to the tourney and get 3rd!!!
Quite a few of the better players were missing and I think he somehow cheesed his way passed the person who got 2nd in like the 2nd round of bracket. Got knocked out by them in LFs. Think we got both of those sets recorded so gonna upload them this weekend. Pretty awesome though. His first week back in a FULL YEAR of not touching a controller. woop

Edit: Also to add to this is an old-schooler before even my time showed up after a 6 month trip to south-east asia.
He got wrecked though. lol

Missed doubles and all melee stuff though. Will catch that next time.
Also didn't record GFs because we're idiots. Got a few sets of me on the recording set-up throughout the tourney though. Will upload those this weekend too.
First Smash in 7 months, first PM in 1 year.
Feels good to be in the game again.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
okay, but like

how are you supposed to do tilts with buttons
apparently the dpad buttons are supposed to be tilt buttons.

which just sounds like overly complicating the thing.

analog joystick with the other buttons master race, imo.

D

Deleted member

Alex19 isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a player with such an ability and movement with Fox? Alex puts the game in another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a player with his skill and passion for the game again. Mang0 breaks records. Armada breaks records. Alex19 breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
my crush told me the truth about how they felt

feelsbadman
It happens. Plenty of fish in the sea, you're young, etc etc. I hated hearing that **** when I was younger but it ends up being true. Today's woes become distant memories soon enough.

D

Deleted member

doesn't hurt as bad as it did when they texted me after i got off of work but like yeah, bigger picture etc etc, the metaphorical **** will settle in soon enough

holy heck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bleck

Smash Master
the big picture is that nobody is interested in you unless you have either a lot of money or a lot of drugs

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Anyone know how to critique music? I know some concepts such as melody, pitch and rhythm but when I think about something I listened to, all that comes to mind is just sounds good/bad.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
you need to more than just music theory to critique music lmao

music is art which basically means you need to know modern music trends as well as all sorts of societal context in order to fully understand/critique music

Top Bottom