• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

kaye wanna do a double date on sunday? i'll bring bec

no im not kidding

Vashimus

Smash Master
It's a very ambiguous, tedious, and time-consuming affair that should be relatively simple. I have to go through each and every persona that I have and check every persona combination just to see what I'll even get, rather than something not insanely annoying like a list that tells me what + what = this or what + what + what = this based on my current inventory, and every persona combines into something different. For example, I combine Justice + Strength and that gives me something, but combining a different Justice + different Strength, gets me something else? Not to mention the game keeps no record of known combinations, nor will it provide blueprints of any kind, so just about every attempt I do is a shot in the dark. I found myself merely collecting random personas, combining them with other random personas and hoping something sticks. And what the hell do those circles mean? As far as I can tell the game doesn't explain it. Triangle fuse is such a goddamn pain in the ***
There's nothing wrong with fusing random Persona together until you get good ones with good skills, though you can't get through certain bosses unless you pay attention to resistances. When you played the game before, you kinda just know which ones are good to fuse, but I often forget how confusing it can really get, in which case outside help is really helpful. There's a Persona 3 fusion calculator online that tells you the ingredients of any Persona you want to make, and any Persona you've made is automatically registered in the compendium, which you can summon again if you happen to get rid of it for a fee.

Fusion accidents are dumb. Injecting a random chance for the fusion to screw up does nothing but encourage save scumming in case the game decides to give you the middle finger for no reason at all.
Then save before you do fusions. Save scumming has been around since the dawn of RPGs, from Final Fantasy to Pokémon. Everyone does it at some point because **** happens. If you choose not to do it, that's your prerogative, but don't whine about it later if it happens.

Fusion accidents are pretty stupid, but thankfully are fairly rare occurrences. Just save often and you won't have a problem. And who knows, you might get an even more useful demon from the accident then the one you wanted to fuse.

And even when you get a fused persona, it somehow becomes even more complicated. I get the basic idea that certain arcanas can only inherit certain abilities from their parents, but what abilities and how is it decided? Why is it that every time I look at the end fusion, the inherited abilities change? I have to spend like 10 minutes just trying to get Ares to inherit exactly Dodge Wind, Double Fangs, and Tarukaja or whatever the hell it's called. Why can't I just pick what I want from the start? Why does Chariot inherit buff abilities, but not Strength? And oh god, why do their stats vary depending on what I used to fuse? Titan's strength is 27, but suddenly it's 23 if I use this specific persona? I swear to god, if stat growths are also decided by parents...
It's generally random, though physical Personae are more likely to learn physical moves than magical ones and vice versa. Pretty sure Igor even tells you this if you ask him. So how do you get the skills you want? You quit out and refresh then look again till you do. Yes it's silly and I'm glad they stopped doing it so you wouldn't have to waste time re-rolling for a good moveset.

What the hell does the Hanged Man do? Come to think of it, what the hell do ANY of the Arcanas do? What do they specialize in, and what abilities do they profess in? Some are straightforward (Strength), but what does Moon do? Star? Hermit? A simple explanation would have been friggin' nice, like "Fool: Everything starts at 0, much like your journey. Specializing in nothing and being weak at nothing, versatility is your weapon." I want to be able to choose my playstyle and build my personas around that, but I can't do that if I don't know what any of them do. And it's not even worth leveling them up since they take such insane amounts, so by the time you get them to a respectable level you're already able to replace it with something far better.
Arcanas are essentially "races" that categorize the demons similar to the races in the SMT games. The seven ranks of angels for instance (Angel, Archangel, Principality, etc) are Justice Arcana. Races that fuse with other races can give you different ones (i.e. Strength + Preistess = Chariot), and there's a table in the manual, but it's not required to memorize or even use to enjoy the game. They don't inherently mean anything otherwise.

Demons are not like Pokémon, especially in Persona, where they gain experience extremely slowly compared to your MC. Think of them like weapons, not buddies that you're trying to level up. As soon as a demon stops pulling its weight, fuse it off for something better.

The easiest way to level up demons is through social links. Spending time with certain characters and improving your relationship with them levels up their respective Arcana, which is used to give massive experience bonuses to demons that you fuse of that same Arcana. The higher the social link, the more experience it gets. This is the best way to get the good level up moves for your demons than grinding away for hours in Tartarus, which definitely isn't fun.

Oh yeah, and what the **** do the abilities even mean? I don't know what Rakukaja means. I don't know what Media means. And I sure as hell don't know what Zan-ei means. It get's even more confusing when abilities with similar prefixes, such as Rakunda, come into play. This wouldn't be so bad, if the game actually let me check what the hell they do in the stats screen! ****, at least Pokemon let me get a detailed description of what each Pokemon's moves did, and there were only 4 moves. Here, the only time I can check without going into a battle is if the persona has to forget a move. And there's a max of 8! This is such a blatant oversight I can't believe nobody ever caught it when designing this game. I'm not about to bust out a notepad and write down what everything does because of the game's shortcomings. Just call them Defense Down, Attack Up, or Heal if you aren't going to let me look at their descriptions. It is far easier to understand, instead of trying to translate this crazy made-up nonsense that I don't even know if it's actually made up or not
Pretty sure you can see what the skills do by going to the pause menu and clicking SKILL (though I know you can't see what they do in the fusion screen). But for a general rundown.

Taru- = attack
Raku- = defense
Suku- = Hit / Evasion rate

-kaja = stat buff (on party)
-unda = stat nerf (on enemy)
Dekaja = removes enemy stat buffs
Dekunda = removes party stat nerfs

Dia- = healing spell (single target)
Media- = healing spell (full party)
-rama = medium healing
-rahan = full healing

Bufu = Ice
Agi = Fire
Zio = Lightning
Zan (or Garu in Persona) = Wind
Hama = Light
Mudo = Dark
Megido = Almighty

It's confusing at first, but it's no more different than learning Final Fantasy spell naming, and it stays consistent.

Persona 3's good, but going to Tartarus over and over can get very repetitive and kill some of the experience. Dungeon crawling is prevalent in the other games, but when it's just a single tower where you go up floors, it gets a lot more tedious.

MegaTen gets very frustrating when you don't understand the game mechanics, especially when even regular enemies can easily annihilate you. Once you do though and you figure things out, they can be some of the most rewarding RPGs you'll ever play. Nocturne's still one of my all-time favorite games.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Started with Runescape, stopped after I graduated high school. Used to do a bit of WoW, and then stopped before Cataclysm. Then I played this one called Atlantica for about a year before getting bored and stopping. Haven't touched an MMO since. I kinda just want one that's less about raiding and fetch quests and more about exploring a world and finding cool stuff with friends. I got tired of the grind and the optimization. I was hoping Elder Scrolls Online might give me my fix, but that didn't do it.

Like, an open world MMO where the big objective is for players to work together and build civilization and explore and fight off other player-made nations while trying to, basically, map out the world they're all on would be something I'd be super interested in.
If the MMOspace eventually rebounds with some solid, deep sandbox MMOs I'll be super happy and might even pick up an MMO again. I used to play a semi-sandboxy MMO (FFXI) and it was honestly pretty good times. Game's design and balancing were awful and/or outright ridiculous in many ways, but it was an interesting and surprisingly deep game. That and the friends I made playing it kept me playing it pretty actively for a few years. The relatively slow combat system was also kind of a blessing in disguise from a social perspective, you could actually talk to people in-game in most situations without needing to set up voice chat.

Then they turned the game's progression on its head (stat vomit etc) and implemented a bunch of new content that lacked much of the prior content's nuance. Small wonder content updates are ending this November.

...but apparently they're making a mobile version, which I find utterly hilarious.

The MMO space seems to be picking up for once, with actual variety with games that aren't WoW and WoW Killer #027. I'd recommend checking out things like FF14, Star Trek online (I think) and a few others like guild wars. Infact, one MMO which seems like what you want is Everquest Next, which is coming out Soon...? Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try something new.
FFXIV is firmly in the themepark vein these days. Gorgeous game, but utterly vapid. Variety is not to be found there. What's actually going on with EQN lately? There was so much buzz for that game last year, but I haven't heard a peep about it in months.

PM Mondays is a thing you know.

I just really dislike this whole hate train on VGBC. Yeah, people hate on VGBC for being a sell-out and claim that he gained much of his fame from streaming PM and everything, all of which are fair points. That being said, people tend to forget that VGBC was the only reputable streamer that was willing to consistently stream and support the PM scene since the 2.0 days. VGBC may not have grown as largely without PM, but PM definitely would not have grown if it weren't for VGBC. imo it isn't fair to only ostracize GimR for making a tough executive decision, especially considering what he's done for us.
I'd buy it if 1) they'd actually put some semblance of an effort into even an appearance of making an effort to continue supporting PM instead of just shoving it into UMDSmash's arms and calling it a day and 2) if he'd actually reuploaded the videos in a timely fashion, videos that for all we know never needed to be taken down in the first place. Outright removal of some of the highest profile PM matches is damaging towards PM's exposure and limits the availability of content of historic value to the scene. While reuploading them in a timely manner doesn't fix the former, it'd at least be a token gesture of "Hey I haven't totally forgotten about you guys on a personal level" that also goes a ways towards remedying the damage he's done in the latter category.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
kaye wanna do a double date on sunday? i'll bring bec

no im not kidding
If you're serious, I can ask her and see if she's not busy or anything. As long as it's after church for her, it might be good. Though it might be awkward since you and bec are a couple and we aren't. XD

If she isn't free, should I just show up anyway to meet you guys and be a third wheel? lol Or would you wanna reschedule?

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
We should watch good anime this time.
I tried to do that on the subreddit but no one was interested. They kept asking about SAO and Deadman Wonderland and all sorts of ****. The only time I took their suggestions they didn't even talk about the movie.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you're serious, I can ask her and see if she's not busy or anything. As long as it's after church for her, it might be good. Though it might be awkward since you and bec are a couple and we aren't. XD

If she isn't free, should I just show up anyway to meet you guys and be a third wheel? lol Or would you wanna reschedule?
just go 2 bowser's revenge on saturday and hang out with every1

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
just go 2 bowser's revenge on saturday and hang out with every1
I'm guessing that's another event, huh? Where is it and what time? I have a party I'm apparently supposed to be at that I didn't know about, but I'll gladly cut it off to play some Smash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm guessing that's another event, huh? Where is it and what time? I have a party I'm apparently supposed to be at that I didn't know about, but I'll gladly cut it off to play some Smash.
BR is the PM monthly down here, it usually ends at a reasonable time (last time finished at like 8 PM I think). It's at FX Game Exchange in Plano, dubs starts at 11 and singles at 1 PM.

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
yeah do that, you should totally do that

i would if i could...

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
still super-annoyed at how... stagnant PM's scene is here

it seems like there WAS constantly weeklies but they just... stopped? and there's weird selfish drama surrounding it??? aagh I just want to get my kirby to decent levels

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Battleship Yamato 2199 snip
Darn straight.
be77706595ae480e61bf1d81c4bf19e3.jpg

Look at that.

yeah, but all of the good anime came out like decades ago anyway
the most recent good anime is eight years old

Okay, though.
I think I'll just read through Berserk again. I'll have time to do it twice before a new chapter.

I quite liked Psycho-Pass, but I'm a total sucker for cyberpunk

Understandably so.

Last edited:

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
okay wow my original post ended up sounding way worse than i thought it did, i apologize for that
to clarify, these issues that i mention about the fusion system aren't actually huge deals to me, i just like to dramatically blow issues way out of proportion
except for fusion accidents, that can go die in a fire

There's nothing wrong with fusing random Persona together until you get good ones with good skills, though you can't get through certain bosses unless you pay attention to resistances. When you played the game before, you kinda just know which ones are good to fuse, but I often forget how confusing it can really get, in which case outside help is really helpful. There's a Persona 3 fusion calculator online that tells you the ingredients of any Persona you want to make, and any Persona you've made is automatically registered in the compendium, which you can summon again if you happen to get rid of it for a fee.
There's definitely nothing wrong with the experimentation process. The main issue I have with it is that, unless you use outside help or use a pen and paper, it is very difficult to keep track of Persona combinations, as well as the ingredients required. My idea was that, upon discovering a combination, there would be a list of crafted Personas, and you could see the ingredients, functioning like the fusion calculator you mentioned, but only limited to what you have discovered. I'm not against using outside sources, I just prefer to have the compendium of information within the game for convenience's sake. Although I still have no idea what those "Valid" circles are.

Arcanas are essentially "races" that categorize the demons similar to the races in the SMT games. The seven ranks of angels for instance (Angel, Archangel, Principality, etc) are Justice Arcana. Races that fuse with other races can give you different ones (i.e. Strength + Preistess = Chariot), and there's a table in the manual, but it's not required to memorize or even use to enjoy the game. They don't inherently mean anything otherwise.
I understand this much, but what I was trying to say was I wish that somewhere in the game, there was a clear-cut definition of what the individual Arcanas were good in, like how in other RPGs it gives you class descriptions. For example, a description of the Hanged Man being the tank Persona. And oh wow I just looked at the table right now, I feel so dumb. I could have sworn that combining two of the same Arcana, but with different Personas gave me differing Arcana results. I was incompetent in this regard.

Pretty sure you can see what the skills do by going to the pause menu and clicking SKILL (though I know you can't see what they do in the fusion screen).
This is the feature that I wish was in, on top of doing the same on the Persona stats screen rather than in the "Skills" list. That way, if I run into a new move that I haven't seen before (e.g. Rebellion), I can see what it does from there.

Once you do though and you figure things out, they can be some of the most rewarding RPGs you'll ever play. Nocturne's still one of my all-time favorite games.
This is precisely why I wanted to find a Megami Tensei game. Persona 3 was the only one that the nearby used video game store had, so I wanted to know how the others were different. It seems that Nocturne is consistently praised whenever the topic of Megami Tensei comes up, so I'll look into that next

Also, I should mention that I already have 20 hours clocked in the game, and my Justice social link is like level 5 or 6 I think

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
read the words "objective game review", laughed and closed the tab
I don't get it

Edit: Being the literal person I am, I should clarify: What makes it so supposedly difficult for reviewers to just say what a game has? Beyond more subjective things like "clunky controls," which could be prefaced by saying it is a more personal opinion so as to allow readers the ability to determine such themselves, I don't see why it could be so difficult to reduce personal bias to a reasonable level (no such thing as zero, after all) unless the problem is the lack of actual expertise on the part of reviewers

Last edited:

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub

it seems like there WAS constantly weeklies but they just... stopped? and there's weird selfish drama surrounding it??? aagh I just want to get my kirby to decent levels
Come to Montreal, or Toronto :D f Vancouver

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
While the recent events do give credence to his decision the fact that he took so long to tell us and that he's completely removed all the existing content still leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many. Of course GIMR has done a ton for PM and the Smash community, but like you said he handled the situation awfully and I don't think it's wishing too much for him to have done it better.
Actually, here's an idea. So the relocation of the videos is obviously a huge task. The reason GimR doesn't get outside help is because he himself is bogged down with obligations and can't afford to pay someone else to do the work and can't trust someone who has no title.

So what if the PMDT hired a guy (to give him a reputable title) specifically meant to contact GimR and help him with the relocation process. Or something along those lines, idk.

/r/showerthoughts

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
man it's 2015 and yall are still talking about video game reviewers like they were taken seriously after 2005

trying to review video games is like trying to review different sports and say that one sport is objectively better than another

which people jokingly do but nobody takes them seriously, you have to play the sport/game yourself to see if you'll like it

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I can't wait to watch I'm Not Yelling
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
That's funny.

SFAT came to a Chicago weekly a few weeks ago and I watched him get 3rd to Dart and Kels.

Somehow I don't think he's going to be a problem for Leffen.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice

Take a carpool down to Seattle tomorrow. Saturday is a big monthly tournament, and there's carpools coming down all the time for the various weeklies. There were four different weekly PM tournaments in Seattle this week. I went to two of them, and both had around 35 people enter. We also have the monthly at the end of the week that always gets massive over at GameClucks. (Home of SilentWolf)

At the end of the month we also have NorthWest Majors VII here in Seattle, if you haven't gotten your passes for that then you're a fool. It's a national tournament that's hosting PM. Come down and compete :).

Helsong

Smash Ace
Somehow I don't think he's going to be a problem for Leffen.
SFAT has beaten Leffen in Moneymatches before, though. I don't think it's going to be easy for Leffen at all.
The ones I'm referring to were at Paragon, where SFAT made comebacks when he was down 0-2. So not even Leffen's ability to adapt helped him there.
Leffen is the favored to win, but saying he won't have any problems is seriously underestimating sfat's skill.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Actually, here's an idea. So the relocation of the videos is obviously a huge task. The reason GimR doesn't get outside help is because he himself is bogged down with obligations and can't afford to pay someone else to do the work and can't trust someone who has no title.

So what if the PMDT hired a guy (to give him a reputable title) specifically meant to contact GimR and help him with the relocation process. Or something along those lines, idk.

/r/showerthoughts
Uploading youtube videos is really easy

Literally all you have to do is click upload, then drag the file to a square

I fail to see how it would take more than five seconds for gimr to do that then highlight every video and drag it to the box

Top Bottom