• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Yoooo zero wants to money match m2k across all 5 smash games, $500 on the line.

They're gonna use 3.02 tho, apparently. He says it's better to Pit vs M2 in 3.02 than fox ditto in 3.5, since both haven't invested time in pm for a while.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Yoooo zero wants to money match m2k across all 5 smash games, $500 on the line.

They're gonna use 3.02 tho, apparently. He says it's better to Pit vs M2 in 3.02 than fox ditto in 3.5, since both haven't invested time in pm for a while.
that sounds ok
but I'd rather not be reminded of this
I'll watch anyway

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
@ Binary Clone Binary Clone how do I become a beautiful wonderful person like you?
Step 1. Don't have a job.
Step 2. Grow up doing martial arts, piano, and playing video games all the time, developing high levels of coordination
Step 3. Decide to learn how to do things because they look cool
Step 4. Actually learn things that look cool

Seriously, though, you can learn anything you want on the internet. I'm self-taught in PS (see everything I've made here), special effects (see here, with bonus original musical arrangement), audio (see here, though you've likely heard it already), toss juggling, contact juggling, 1A and 5A yo-yo tricks, cardistry, popping dance... And have a blackbelt in taekwon do and have over a dozen years of experience playing piano. I also play smash at a decent level and go to college but who cares about those things right?

The last two (piano and TKD, I mean) were more a part of my upbringing, but the point is that you can learn ANYTHING through the internet and your own dedication. I definitely have a natural knack for a good few things, but I'm really not that special - anyone can learn how to do most of these things if they understand where to find the proper resources and have the time and energy to try them out and the dedication to follow through.

One of the most valuable talents you can have in life is knowing how to learn, and especially knowing how to learn by yourself - the skills to find the right places and people online or out in the real world to learn from so that you can improve.

In today's world, you don't really need to spend a lot of money to get really good at a lot of things anymore - in the past, you'd likely need to find a teacher and pay them a lot of money to learn a lot of the things I've learned, but the only things I've paid for have really been materials for most of my skills. Want to yo-yo on a level none of your friends have seen? It costs ~$30-$50 for a good competitive-grade yo-yo, some lubricant for the bearings, and extra strings. Want to learn dance? At most, that's around $50-$70 for new shoes for any special footwork you'll be doing. Want to learn to juggle? Contact juggle? That's $6 for some lacrosse balls to practice with. Cardistry? Buy a deck of cards, those are like $1.

Of course, some hobbies are more expensive than others - Photoshop and other Adobe programs are costly - but there are often alternatives to get you started, or even head in a different direction. Don't have cash for Photoshop? Use GIMP. Want to do audio editing? Use Audacity for free. It's limited, but there's still a lot you can do. Want to make electronic music? Try using Anvil Studio or Kristal Audio Engine to get introduced to sequencers, or go back in time a bit and make chiptunes (8-bit/16-bit gameboy/NES style music) on something like MilkyTracker or LSDJ. Want to get into 3D modeling or animation? Give Blender a try.

I'm rambling a **** ton now, but really, it's within your power to learn so many things on the cheap these days - whether it's skills for a future career, hobbies for fun, or little things you want to pick up to impress your friends, even.

I'm gonna stop rambling, but if anyone wants to learn anything that I do, or wants help finding resources to learn pretty much anything else, I'd be more than happy to help.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Why can't more people be like Binary Clone? Like I've posted on request boards just to Update a PSA and it's like something out of left field to peoplee. Like ugh, ya know?

Player -0

Smash Hero
I learned to throw cards from an internet thingy. It was really cool. Especially since it was on vacation and in a fairly small hotel room where people were trying to watch tv.

I should practice throwing cards and just run around my neighborhood poking people's eyes out. That would be sick.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I'm gonna stop rambling, but if anyone wants to learn anything that I do, or wants help finding resources to learn pretty much anything else, I'd be more than happy to help.
How do you keep your hands playing on two different tempos on piano, because I can never wrap my brain around that ****.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Because polyrhythms are much more difficult than basic western rhythms that typically consist of easy 1:2, 1:3, and 1:4 ratios.

If you can walk you can dance goes the saying.

oh haha I misread and thought you said "keep your hands *from* playing in two different tempos."

but yeah piano is doable because both hands play in the same tempo, they can just divide the beat into smaller equal divisions at different points.

Now Chopin, playing 13 notes with one hand while the other does 4, takes a special kind of skill.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
How do you keep your hands playing on two different tempos on piano, because I can never wrap my brain around that ****.
I'm gonna assume you're talking about different rhythms or speeds of playing, since playing one hand at like 180 bpm and playing with the other at 150 bpm probably isn't what you're looking for.

It takes lots and lots of practice. I did an arrangement of the song that plays on Hyrule Temple (that I don't have recorded, but I could make a quick one if you wanted) that, in one of the B sections (starting at around 1:01 in the link above), uses crossover 8th note arpeggios in the left hand, while the right hand plays triplets in octaves above it. That's one of the hardest things I've done rhythmically with regards to that.

The answer is really two things, in my opinion:
First, slow down. Probably every piano teacher every will try to drill it into you, but it's for a good reason - it works. Slow it down until it is painfully easy. Inch your way, and I mean inch your way into going faster. Use a metronome if you have to, and slowly tick the speed upwards. This is especially helpful for complex rhythms or really complicated stuff like polyrhythms and stuff.

Second, tap it out. Don't play the piano. Just tap a table with your hands, or tap the rhythms on your lap. It might feel kind of dumb, but if you can't do that second nature, you're not going to be able to get your fingers to do it, either.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
yo Pianist like Liszt had some absurd pieces with more than 2 melodies playing at the same time, it gets hard to wrap your brain around that stuff when you see it.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
oh cool namechanges are properly automated like a normal forum should

better stop procrastinating on my wanted change like I've been for like a year now

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Step 1. Don't have a job.
Step 2. Grow up doing martial arts, piano, and playing video games all the time, developing high levels of coordination
Step 3. Decide to learn how to do things because they look cool
Step 4. Actually learn things that look cool

Seriously, though, you can learn anything you want on the internet. I'm self-taught in PS (see everything I've made here), special effects (see here, with bonus original musical arrangement), audio (see here, though you've likely heard it already), toss juggling, contact juggling, 1A and 5A yo-yo tricks, cardistry, popping dance... And have a blackbelt in taekwon do and have over a dozen years of experience playing piano. I also play smash at a decent level and go to college but who cares about those things right?

The last two (piano and TKD, I mean) were more a part of my upbringing, but the point is that you can learn ANYTHING through the internet and your own dedication. I definitely have a natural knack for a good few things, but I'm really not that special - anyone can learn how to do most of these things if they understand where to find the proper resources and have the time and energy to try them out and the dedication to follow through.

One of the most valuable talents you can have in life is knowing how to learn, and especially knowing how to learn by yourself - the skills to find the right places and people online or out in the real world to learn from so that you can improve.

In today's world, you don't really need to spend a lot of money to get really good at a lot of things anymore - in the past, you'd likely need to find a teacher and pay them a lot of money to learn a lot of the things I've learned, but the only things I've paid for have really been materials for most of my skills. Want to yo-yo on a level none of your friends have seen? It costs ~$30-$50 for a good competitive-grade yo-yo, some lubricant for the bearings, and extra strings. Want to learn dance? At most, that's around $50-$70 for new shoes for any special footwork you'll be doing. Want to learn to juggle? Contact juggle? That's $6 for some lacrosse balls to practice with. Cardistry? Buy a deck of cards, those are like $1.

Of course, some hobbies are more expensive than others - Photoshop and other Adobe programs are costly - but there are often alternatives to get you started, or even head in a different direction. Don't have cash for Photoshop? Use GIMP. Want to do audio editing? Use Audacity for free. It's limited, but there's still a lot you can do. Want to make electronic music? Try using Anvil Studio or Kristal Audio Engine to get introduced to sequencers, or go back in time a bit and make chiptunes (8-bit/16-bit gameboy/NES style music) on something like MilkyTracker or LSDJ. Want to get into 3D modeling or animation? Give Blender a try.

I'm rambling a **** ton now, but really, it's within your power to learn so many things on the cheap these days - whether it's skills for a future career, hobbies for fun, or little things you want to pick up to impress your friends, even.

gggg.png

Damnit smashboards, did you really have to ask?

Also @ Binary Clone Binary Clone

Would you be willing to try a song on piano for me?
What kind of piano do you have as well, because theres a certain type of piano that I'm looking for to have that song done in.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Also @ Binary Clone Binary Clone

Would you be willing to try a song on piano for me?
What kind of piano do you have as well, because theres a certain type of piano that I'm looking for to have that song done in.
I will definitely try, but there's no guarantee that I'll have the ability/time. PS stuff is a lot easier to just crank out mindlessly to music/podcasts.

I have a P-155 (high-ish-end keyboard) that I typically use, and that can produce a few different timbres that I might match if you have some kind of sample, but I also have access to a nice old Steinway upright without going too far out of my way.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
That would be hype. 10/10 would watch more PMDepot videos.

Also SpiderMad whatchoo think about that Link? DJ in neutral is too good. Also lag nerfs your double aerials so mwauhahahaha

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I will definitely try, but there's no guarantee that I'll have the ability/time. PS stuff is a lot easier to just crank out mindlessly to music/podcasts.

I have a P-155 (high-ish-end keyboard) that I typically use, and that can produce a few different timbres that I might match if you have some kind of sample, but I also have access to a nice old Steinway upright without going too far out of my way.
now if only i knew pianos

anyway. i don't know if the sheet music exists, but if it does i'll find it tomorrow.

this is the song.

however I wanted to sound similar to the intro version which doesnt seem to exist outside of the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDS3O2EotJs

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

SpiderMad

Smash Master
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad how do you feel about chiptunes?
Usually bad unless I'm hearing it while I'm getting my program free. How epic can you be with Piano and whistles? Do you got whistles?

Lot of people out there go with chiptunes intros, which are great but I need to go beyond: can you take chiptunes and combine it with Piano/whistles?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'm enjoying this piano talk

Maybe I'll record what I have done of the song ive been working on on and off later

Although I dont have a keyboard, it'll probably be smart phone recordings of me playing on my out of tune grand lol.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like how people post assumed/speculated things about nintendos dealings with Project M as if they actually know.

Usually, they are pretty wrong :).

Top Bottom