• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
So my fiancee is almost at the point of tears from yelling/cursing at a jumping puzzle in dragon age 3.

I'm debating the relative merits of telling her she's being a child, versus having a good afternoon.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
So my fiancee is almost at the point of tears from yelling/cursing at a jumping puzzle in dragon age 3.

I'm debating the relative merits of telling her she's being a child, versus having a good afternoon.
tell her you have a puzzle she can solve without fail

in your pants

:]

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Because then I would have to fault the game for players who don't understand something as simple as "hit the opponent with x ---> opponent gets hurt".
Except he doesn't look like he's trying to hit something at all. It looks like he's trying to block something.

When one of his main OFfensive moves can be easily mistaken for a DEfensive move, something's not right.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
tell her you have a puzzle she can solve without fail

in your pants

:]
Behind his zipper is . . . another zipper!
Except he doesn't look like he's trying to hit something at all. It looks like he's trying to block something.

When one of his main OFfensive moves can be easily mistaken for a DEfensive move, something's not right.
As far as I'm concerned, it works fine as is. Pit is a balanced character, and that's more important than logic. Project M is not some kid's first game, it's a game designed with competitive play in mind. If you can play a game where rest is a OHKO, you can play a game where hitting someone with your shield is a kill option.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Behind his zipper is . . . another zipper!

As far as I'm concerned, it works fine as is. Pit is a balanced character, and that's more important than logic. Project M is not some kid's first game, it's a game designed with competitive play in mind. If you can play a game where rest is a OHKO, you can play a game where hitting someone with your shield is a kill option.
I'm just saying it can look a little better. Maybe replace the shield with an Arm weapon, like I suggested earlier. It would keep the hitboxes and animations the same while looking clearer.

I mean, he actually does use the Upperdash Arm in an uppercut in Smash 4. It wouldn't be too much if a stretch to add that model or something similar in place of the sheild.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

And I'll say it again, a shield bash is easily capable of killing a man outright. The potential blunt force trauma you can suffer from a shield bash is like being in a high speed crash.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman

Yo, this is ridiculous dude. Why all the hate? Have you never seen a shield bash, or do you really just want him to have more stuff from his most recent game, because you just want it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
And I'll say it again, a shield bash is easily capable of killing a man outright. The potential blunt force trauma you can suffer from a shield bash is like being in a high speed crash.
Yo, this is ridiculous dude. Why all the hate? Have you never seen a shield bash, or do you really just want him to have more stuff from his most recent game, because you just want it.
It doesn't even look like a shield bash, though! It looks like a block!

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
I think it's more like he's never seen anyone vertically shield bash a person above him. It does seem unintuitive.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think it's more like he's never seen anyone vertically shield bash a person above him. It does seem unintuitive.
Exactly! Balance may be more important than logic, but that's no reason to sacrifice logic where it can be added without affecting balance at all.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Of course you've never seen somebody shield bash somebody above them... real fights are ground based because we don't have the means to be airborn like you see in Smash.
Again, you people are using waaaay too much logic here. Smash is heavily driven by aerial combat, so I think an aerial shield bash makes sense in the context of Smash.
Using a shield as a weapon is intuitive. To say it isn't is to spit in the face of the thousands of years that humans used shields, prior to gunpowder. This is epitomized by spartans and how their fighting style basically revolved around the shield.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Of course you've never seen somebody shield bash somebody above them... real fights are ground based because we don't have the means to be airborn like you see in Smash.
Again, you people are using waaaay too much logic here. Smash is heavily driven by aerial combat, so I think an aerial shield bash makes sense in the context of Smash.
Using a shield as a weapon is intuitive. To say it isn't is to spit in the face of the thousands of years that humans used shields, prior to gunpowder. This is epitomized by spartans and how there fighting style basically revolved around the shield.
Even in a fantasy setting, that looks and sounds dumb. What stops me from imagining Ganon rudely stomping his "offensive vertical shield bash" in mid air?

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Alternatively, the PMDT make it a rising backhand upwards with the shield.

Might b cool.
That would require changing the animation, though, and, thus, the frame data. That's why I was suggesting reskinning the sheild into a weapon, so none of the attack's properties would change.

By the way, people saying I'm only suggesting it because "uprising lol", it's not like KI:U isn't already referenced in PM. There's an event match where Pit has to three-stock Dark Pit.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
It doesn't even look like a shield bash, though! It looks like a block!
It looks absolutely nothing like a block, though. Let's look at it in slowmo, here's an example. http://youtu.be/Uf8MSu3-ZEM?t=1m21s

Here's what happens,

1. He takes out his shield, and his wings are spread
2. Flash of light
3. Starts moving upward while his shield has been pulled to the other side of hit body.
4. Shield is swung upward has he finishes with another flash of light
5. Light continues to go upwards.
6. Light fades
7. He puts shield away.

Considering all this takes place in less than a second, the shield is only out for like 8 frames at most. Certainly doesn't look like he's trying to block. If you made him do that with his weapons instead, it would have to look just like his upair.

I really have no idea why you think it looks like a block, I have seen nothing involving a shield that looks less like a block than this. It's completely intuitive. I have not seen a player who has looked at this and didn't think it was a move with attacking potential. I've played against people who've never even seen pit played before, after they use up-b once for recovery, they always try to hit me with up-b when I'm right above them.

Even if you were right, it would be such an unbelievably minor fix that it's not even worth doing unless the PMDT literally runs out of things to change but wants to change things anyway. I mean, if we wanna talk unintuitive, lt's talk about roy's tipper having basically no knockback, yoshi getting instant and insane armor on his double jump, wario in general, lucario's cancels, rob not getting up-b back after being hit, etc etc etc etc etc.

Wow you guys sure are a bunch of nerds.
Did you expect otherwise?

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
You must be new to fighting games in general, let's explain something real quick visually unintuitive moves are standard practice even in melee and brawl which aren't really considered "fighters" by a majority of the community. See Snake as a character, jigglypuff, peach, etc., the hilarious reality is that you're complaining about aesthetics in a game that has vastly improved the alignment of hitboxes, and visual cues over its predecessors. If you really want to see moves that make little to no sense in placement of hitboxes, trajectory, and damage you should really watch some Injustice, Mortal Combat, even Streetfighter has some cringe-worthy moves. Pit can fly, shield bashes are often more dangerous than blows with anything short of a concrete sledge, he flies into you and shield bashes you, it hurts, alot, if it doesn't make sense to you it may be due to personal bias and not aesthetics in general.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I think you guys are forgetting that Pit's upB got a new animation (cause you probably haven't seen anyone play Pit in 3.5 lol)

The new one kinda does look more like a "blocking" action tbh

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You must be new to fighting games in general, let's explain something real quick visually unintuitive moves are standard practice even in melee and brawl which aren't really considered "fighters" by a majority of the community. See Snake as a character, jigglypuff, peach, etc., the hilarious reality is that you're complaining about aesthetics in a game that has vastly improved the alignment of hitboxes, and visual cues over its predecessors. If you really want to see moves that make little to no sense in placement of hitboxes, trajectory, and damage you should really watch some Injustice, Mortal Combat, even Streetfighter has some cringe-worthy moves. Pit can fly, shield bashes are often more dangerous than blows with anything short of a concrete sledge, he flies into you and shield bashes you, it hurts, alot, if it doesn't make sense to you it may be due to personal bias and not aesthetics in general.
While I don't appreciate the smarmy "you must be new here", I do see your point. I just don't personally agree. It just looks and feels not-right to me.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Bleck posts things sometimes that I can respect and be okay with, but then at other times, I just want to strangle him.

Currently he is of the prior. (Not couting the ^ post he just made tho.)

Huh?
Now, I'm a huge fan of HEMA/ARMA, but I didn't know it was anything like a clear cut case of broadswords over katanas.
Yes +9999999
Gambesons were probably the most important and most overlooked part of medieval armor.
There was a short video I watched a couple months ago about a katana's inability to break a broadsword, but the broadsword being able to break the katana.

A sword just needs to be sharp enough to render flesh to be effective, which is what a broadsword and katana do, but if the two clash against each other, unless the Katana user is signifncantly stronger or the quality in blades is drastically different, the broadsword being denser is usually going to win, which is why a katana user needs to be faster in swing speed in order to secure some sort of victory.

gg now I lost my wallet along with my phone breaking
This happened because you made that thing your avatar.

Tell her to stop being a ****ing casual.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure you guys are debating the guy who says PM Lucario makes no sense as a design because his moves aren't canon.

Not the authority on aesthetics he thinks he is.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd also like to point out that swords don't need to slice flesh to be effective. Broadswords are also designed to bludgeon AND rend, thanks to the nature of Western combat armor. Part of the reason why broadswords > kitanas in a lot of cases.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
How about, instead of a shield for up-b, pit opens a portal from below, summoning ganon to do an upwards dair that somehow also propels pit upwards.

D

Deleted member

Actually, whenever the game calculates your hitstun it goes to the price is right and spins the wheel

Falcon stomp is bugged though, it always hits 100

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
well that's really weird, because it's got that brawl mash buttons instant counterattack on it, even if you're so high on % that you are being pushed away
No, it doesn't lol. It just has really low knockback and thus low hitstun until high percents. But if they're on the ground and a fast faller (or even semi-FFer depending on the angle of the move) they might land back grounded really quickly if the hit was weak enough and do a kind of "auto CC"

Last edited:

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
While I don't appreciate the smarmy "you must be new here", I do see your point. I just don't personally agree. It just looks and feels not-right to me.
You mistake my intention, that wasn't a "you must be new here", that was a "you must not have seen what things were like before, but at least that is all you have to complain about". (considering the source material and industry standards that's a huge compliment to the PM DEVs lmfao.)

Top Bottom