• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
A teenage boy is getting ready to take his girlfriend to the prom. First he goes to rent a tux, but there’s a long tux line at the shop and it takes forever. Next, he has to get some flowers, so he heads over to the florist and there’s a huge flower line there. He waits forever but eventually gets the flowers. Then he heads out to rent a limo. Unfortunately, there’s a large limo line at the rental office, but he’s patient and gets the job done. Finally, the day of the prom comes. The two are dancing happily and his girlfriend is having a great time. When the song is over, she asks him to get her some punch, so he heads over to the punch table and there’s no punchline.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
browsing r/kappa, laughing my *** off at all these FGC people crying about smash

Called them out on how smash is way deeper than anything any other 2d fighter has produced, waiting for the storm :D
I take it that you are not familiar with the nature of r/Kappa

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
A teenage boy is getting ready to take his girlfriend to the prom. First he goes to rent a tux, but there’s a long tux line at the shop and it takes forever. Next, he has to get some flowers, so he heads over to the florist and there’s a huge flower line there. He waits forever but eventually gets the flowers. Then he heads out to rent a limo. Unfortunately, there’s a large limo line at the rental office, but he’s patient and gets the job done. Finally, the day of the prom comes. The two are dancing happily and his girlfriend is having a great time. When the song is over, she asks him to get her some punch, so he heads over to the punch table and there’s no punchline.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Pit's up-special is. It's for, what, reflecting projectiles thrown from above? That seems really situational.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Pit's up-special is. It's for, what, reflecting projectiles thrown from above? That seems really situational.
Combo finisher for killing off the top.

Also for recovering?

I'm not sure where the ambiguity is.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Man all thisc weapons talk is sounding like Deadliest Warriors up in here man I miss that show.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
But lets be real, the bow was out classed for a reason.

Same reason why Katanas get bopped by Broadswords.
Huh?
Now, I'm a huge fan of HEMA/ARMA, but I didn't know it was anything like a clear cut case of broadswords over katanas.
Chainmail doesn't stop piercing blows. It isn't designed to. You could pierce that vest with a damn foil blade. However, the gambeson that would be worn underneath it does not have this problem. Even firing point blank he barely penetrates his targets. There's a reason people fully draw their bows and the obvious lack of power behind his shots is why.
Yes +9999999
Gambesons were probably the most important and most overlooked part of medieval armor.

Bleck

Smash Master
the problem is that the function of the move is derived from knowledge that isn't endemic to the move itself, rather than the move expressing what its function is organically

Mario's Super Jump Punch is a jumping punch, the player can figure out to do with it

Pit's Shield Bash is a move where he takes a shield from another move that's supposed to be defensive and swings it vaguely upwards with the same visual effects on the shield, instead of using his other weapons or abilities to do something similar

like it seems fine to all of us 'cause we already know what it's supposed to be, but from an outside perspective it's really crappy design

(I also think that making it so that Pit's - the character with angel wings - primary means of vertical recovery doesn't involve his wings and is really piss-poor distance wise is kind of ridiculous)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Combo finisher for killing off the top.

Also for recovering?

It just doesn't look like he's doing anything. He hold his shield up over his head, and... I can't tell how I'm supposed to hit with it. It doesn't look like anything.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
(I also think that making it so that Pit's - the character with angel wings - primary means of vertical recovery doesn't involve his wings and is really piss-poor distance wise is kind of ridiculous)
Pit [sort of] uses his wings when he sideB/glides which is his primary recovery over upB I believe, he doesn't often need to vertically recover with all of his jumps (which also use his wings)

At any rate, I prefer this use of his shield more than his old one. (And personally feel that his shield reflect should be changed to something completely different.)

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
It just doesn't look like he's doing anything. He hold his shield up over his head, and... I can't tell how I'm supposed to hit with it. It doesn't look like anything.
Use debug mode and the move will become pretty easy to understand.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I see that, but normal play doesn't take place in debug mode. An attack should be visually clear in what it does during normal play.

Sometimes I get the impression that aesthetics are ignored entirely in the PM community.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Alternatively, you could go watch some zero/armada 3.02 matches and have an idea on how to use the move.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'd disagree about the aesthetics. It's really about character bias against Pit.

Wario represents his moves from Warioland down to the most unrecognizable forms. From his crouch, to his forward throw (or the one where he throws you like a shot put) to his shoulder charge. They wanted to represent Wario from his series rather than the Warioware Wario we got in Brawl.

I agree with the shield thing, it isn't very intuitive.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'd disagree about the aesthetics. It's really about character bias against Pit.

Wario represents his moves from Warioland down to the most unrecognizable forms. From his crouch, to his forward throw (or the one where he throws you like a shot put) to his shoulder charge. They wanted to represent Wario from his series rather than the Warioware Wario we got in Brawl.

I agree with the shield thing, it isn't very intuitive.
Maybe the shield could be replaced with an Arm or a Palm from Uprising, to keep the animation the same.

Bleck

Smash Master
yeah see if you have to do this that's crappy design

Alternatively, you could go watch some zero/armada 3.02 matches and have an idea on how to use the move.
if you have to watch somebody else play a game so that you know how to play it, the game is poorly designed

Foo

Smash Lord
Huh, I never really had any trouble with pits up-b, He quickly bursts upwards while also thrusting his shield upwards with a nice SHING sound that indicates it's an attack. Doesn't really seem unintuitive at all, tbh.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Pit's primary means of vertical recovery is his jumps which still involve his wings. To say that character's up-b's should always be their primary means of vertical recovery is kind arbitrary

Bazkip

Smash Master
I had a dream where I saw a bird and thought it was a toucan and got really excited for some reason.
Then I woke up and my first thought was "That wasn't a toucan you dumbass"

Another exciting adventure in the life of Bazkip.

Bleck

Smash Master
Pit's primary means of vertical recovery is his jumps which still involve his wings. To say that character's up-b's should always be their primary means of vertical recovery is kind arbitrary
it doesn't necessarily always have to be, but the only characters otherwise where it's not are Jigglypuff and Yoshi - I'm not sure I can see the value in giving him what he got (since it's not like Pit's SINGLE BIGGEST FAILING as the lack of a vertical kill move) other than it being a big **** you to his original up-special

it might also seem kind of counter-intuitive to players that might be migrating over from Brawl or Smash 4

I don't know, I just don't like it very much

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
And players coming from Brawl might think it's really strange that Smash 4 changed Pit's Up B. Or his Side B. Or his Down B (and custom moves in general). It's almost like moves can change from game to game if the designers think the old moves can be improved upon or no longer fit in the new game's direction.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
The value in giving him what he has right now is that at least Pit has reliable kill options, and his recovery isn't absolutely ridiculous.
Like, Jigglypuff doesn't even float or fly or whatever in pokémon, ever. It doesn't have to completely make sense.

Rᴏb

yeah see if you have to do this that's crappy design
I wouldn't really fault the game for players who don't understand the concept of a shield bash. It's easy to understand without debug mode.
Sometimes I get the impression that aesthetics are ignored entirely in the PM community.
if you didn't exaggerate so much I would've agreed with you.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Because then I would have to fault the game for players who don't understand something as simple as "hit the opponent with x ---> opponent gets hurt".
in almost every game I can think of where you can use a shield bash, the whole point of it is as a fast, low-damage move that's supposed to open up your opponents to damage with actual weapons

where is the "logic" in "go and hit your opponents with your sword enough so you can kill them with your shield"

Rᴏb

in almost every game I can think of where you can use a shield bash, the whole point of it is as a fast, low-damage move that's supposed to open up your opponents to damage with actual weapons
DaS2, but I get what you're saying.
where is the "logic" in "go and hit your opponents with your sword enough so you can kill them with your shield"
Pit's bow-thingy is pretty dainty and doesn't even glow. I mean, just seeing Pit's upb versus any of his bow-thingy moves makes it clear to me that his shield is stronger.

His upb also makes the controller vibrate iirc. That's some real power, son.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Smash's appeal has long been the lack of logic
it's a crazy game where new crazy things happen every time you play it
if you're trying to use logic and apply it to Smash you're gonna have a bad time

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
also
shields can **** you up WAY more than most weapons
like, do you know how much force a shield bash can do? easily enough to kill somebody irl

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
The value in giving him what he has right now is that at least Pit has reliable kill options, and his recovery isn't absolutely ridiculous.
Like, Jigglypuff doesn't even float or fly or whatever in pokémon, ever. It doesn't have to completely make sense.
Blue's puff in Adventures would like to have a word with you

Last edited:
Top Bottom