• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I wish someone would re release Weapon Lord on XBLA/ PSN store so I can play it on a HD console.

Also someone should bring back Bloody Roar and not make it ass.

Just like how I pray that they will be another DarkStalkers and a Viewtiful Joe 3 :(

Last edited:

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
That's not entirely true. 06 has some neat levels and ideas. And while using a game that's actually ****ing solid (Generations) with some tweaks and fixes, the 06 levels may actually be enjoyable to a reasonable degree now.

There isnt a point in trying to denounce it without giving it a go imo.

I'm only behind this because of Project Unleashed which ported the Unleashed daytime stages to Generations and they were so much more fun to play because Generations is more solid than Unleashed.
To each his own I guess, but I really hate everything about that game on a creative level. The aesthetic, the premise, pretty much everything about the audio (music and voice acting) except for the "His World" instrumental theme, the characters...I very much dislike them all. I really like Sonic Generations (preordered it and loved it), so if people are going to take the time to mess around with it, I'd be more interested in a different direction.

I want Sonic games to go fast, but I'm tired of how auto-pilot most Sonic games feel.

Games like Sonic Generations are neat, but even Generations felt like I was just holding forward + boost for the whole game. Any sort of big turns were done in those "auto-pilot til the section is done" scenes.

If Sonic Unleashed was purely Day stages then it would have been a much better game overall. All of those levels were awesome.

If Sonic is going to keep going fast they need to take another look at how their levels are designed. The mechanics in Unleashed and in Generations were great, using quicksteps to avoid obstacles, and you could even drift, but you don't even need to use these half the time. Enemies don't even do anything anymore either, you just boost right through them without giving a damn half the time because they don't pose any real threat.

imo it'd be nice if SEGA tried to make a Sonic game that played a little more like a racing game with tight turns that actually required you to drift around stuff, rather than just make it so Sonic did all that on auto-pilot, as well as add obstacles that actually matter. That way I could maybe test my ability to react to stuff that's coming up instead of just watching the screen while I hold down two buttons while occasionally tapping a third.
I agree with this so hard. Even the classic Sonic games don't really reward you for going fast...but I'm not sure how to make speed work in those games. The only thing I can think of is a challenging time limit, virtually turning the game into a series of speed-runs, but I'm not sure how people would take to something that basically requires you to re-play levels until you know them well enough to not screw up...

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I might as well ask here since it's been bugging me:

Anyone know of a semi-obscure fighting game, where one of the characters is this Sultan-looking fellow that has a signature flopping move? He like, inflates up and slams the ground with his belly. The sound effects were amazing, I wanted to show a friend a video about it but I can't remember the game, character, etc

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I might as well ask here since it's been bugging me:

Anyone know of a semi-obscure fighting game, where one of the characters is this Sultan-looking fellow that has a signature flopping move? He like, inflates up and slams the ground with his belly. The sound effects were amazing, I wanted to show a friend a video about it but I can't remember the game, character, etc
I think your thinking of Breakers revenge or World Heroes Perfect. I know what you are talking about as well.

EDIT: Here's the video. IT was Breakers Revenge.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You instantly found it, holy **** you're a (semi)-god!

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
You instantly found it, holy **** you're a (semi)-god!
LOL NP. It took me a bit cause it was a part of the homo-genius: A history of gay inventors videos but I didn't know which one was it sadly till I did a quick Google search of Breaker's revenge balloons.

Also here's a random matches of the game on GGPO.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm having all these experiences where I know this game, and know this show, but I was somehow too young or something to remember

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well I'm a nerd that's about to inflate (someone else) and steamroll bracket

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Well I'm a nerd that's about to inflate (someone else) and steamroll bracket
Balloono and best of luck sir. You should dress up like the character and get a genie sidekick to add more insult to injury.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yeah, I recall Sega branching off from the America's. Still, isn't it kinda logical that the power over the company will go to the faction with the most popularity with the stock holders etc? I mean, looking at Sega games now...the Japanese influence is pretty damn clear, so they clearly have something of a grapple on how the show is run.
Which is fair BUT Sonic has the most popularity in the EU, barely beating out the US IIRC. JP is a far 3rd in terms of Sonic's popularity.

Sonic sells the best in the US as well.

So it's like

What the **** Sega. Cater to your largest fanbase when it comes to Sonic, aka the West.

all a sonic game needs is TO FEEL ****ING GOOD TO RUN AROUND IN. Sonic is about going fast ffs. Thats all sonic needs to be. If you want to throw in cool other stuff like nice overworlds, exploration, Chao Gardens, Knuckles levels, etc thats fine.
JUST LET ME RUN FAST WHENEVER I'M SONIC FFS
hold the ****ing phone

let me stop you right here

Sonic is NOT just about going fast.

Sonic is about speed gain through skillful platforming; however speed is not the primary focus. It's clever and fluid level design that is designed around pinball physics.

These are the reasons why S1 - S3K is so critically acclaimed and S3K is lauded as the best sonic game ever by SOOO many.

I don't understand any of this Sonic talk. I just pop-in Sonic Heroes every so often and have fun

Also, why did they give Shadow a gun for that one game? Wtf. I swear it's like Sonic game devs, producers, or some gnarly mix find creative ways to try and dilute the entire worth of the franchise, one random game at a time!

Shadow the Hedgehog is the result of Sega listening to the fan's demands. The fans demanded Shadow because Shadow embodied what was cool in that time period. Edginess.

If Sonic was made to embody 90s cool, then Shadow was made to embody 2000's cool. So along with the edginess, they grabbed whatever else they considered edgy and cool and gave it Shadow. Guns, Motocycles, A convoluted Story. Everything.

I want Sonic games to go fast, but I'm tired of how auto-pilot most Sonic games feel.

Games like Sonic Generations are neat, but even Generations felt like I was just holding forward + boost for the whole game. Any sort of big turns were done in those "auto-pilot til the section is done" scenes.

If Sonic Unleashed was purely Day stages then it would have been a much better game overall. All of those levels were awesome.

If Sonic is going to keep going fast they need to take another look at how their levels are designed. The mechanics in Unleashed and in Generations were great, using quicksteps to avoid obstacles, and you could even drift, but you don't even need to use these half the time. Enemies don't even do anything anymore either, you just boost right through them without giving a damn half the time because they don't pose any real threat.

imo it'd be nice if SEGA tried to make a Sonic game that played a little more like a racing game with tight turns that actually required you to drift around stuff, rather than just make it so Sonic did all that on auto-pilot, as well as add obstacles that actually matter. That way I could maybe test my ability to react to stuff that's coming up instead of just watching the screen while I hold down two buttons while occasionally tapping a third.

The issue with Unleashed/Generations and to a lesser degree, Colors; is that Modern Sonic/Day Time Sonic's stages all boil down to muscle memory more than reaction and Skillful platforming. Especially if you're speed running.

You can't really boost to win in Unleashed/Generations without prior knowledge to the level map else get hit a lot, especially in lower levels. Once you get used it, then like I said muscle memory does the job for you and you dont really have to pay much attention to where you're going.

Colors is not as bad because there is a greater emphasis on platforming and earning speed through platforming, which is why I enjoy it more the Generations. Generations itself does have a greater emphasis on skillful platforming than Unleashed though, but not as much as colors. The minichallenges kinda help alleviate it but they're all gimmicky. (I do think the best challenge stages are the action master ones though)

It's all fun, but it's not really what made Sonic ...Sonic imo. But of course, because of all the babies that started with Adventure, it's just fine for them lol.

Sonic Unleashed would have been a better game if the scratched the werehog, replaced him with Knuckles, killed the stretchy arms mechanic, changed the night time stages to suit Knuckles' abilities, and labled it Sonic and Knuckles 2.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
To each his own I guess, but I really hate everything about that game on a creative level. The aesthetic, the premise, pretty much everything about the audio (music and voice acting) except for the "His World" instrumental theme, the characters...I very much dislike them all. I really like Sonic Generations (preordered it and loved it), so if people are going to take the time to mess around with it, I'd be more interested in a different direction.

I agree with this so hard. Even the classic Sonic games don't really reward you for going fast...but I'm not sure how to make speed work in those games. The only thing I can think of is a challenging time limit, virtually turning the game into a series of speed-runs, but I'm not sure how people would take to something that basically requires you to re-play levels until you know them well enough to not screw up...

Sonic Generations is great, but after the excitement subsided, I really started to feel that Sonic generations OVERALL was a very meh experience.

The most enjoyable part of the game was Modern Sanic. Classic Sonic was a horrible experience because his physics were so terribly off; especially compared to the 3DS version of Generations where DIMPS bothered to port Classic Sonic's physics damn near 1:1, but then hampered on it by forcing Homing Attack on him. The modern stages were a hassle and unfun for both Modern and Classic and I really only find myself replaying Classic and Dreamcast era stages because that's where I have the most fun before the stages get silly.

Honestly, I feel they should focus more on Colors-styled level design and improve on it.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The last thing Sonic needs is more blocky level design, painfully slow puzzles and focused on a transformation gimmick like Colors.

Colors is so bad in retrospect.

Nothing about it is good other than Eggman's PA announcements.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I want more Onepunch-Man already

Someone translate more of the webcomic for me, unless translations for that are basically up to date. I know about the redrawn series but they are only like halfway to where the original stuff is at. I NEED MORE DAMNIT

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The last thing Sonic needs is more blocky level design, painfully slow puzzles and focused on a transformation gimmick like Colors.

Colors is so bad in retrospect.

Nothing about it is good other than Eggman's PA announcements.
The short, puzzle like levels are only a portion of the levels and are supposed to introduce variety so that you're not always playing high speed levels. I dont agree with it though I feel the whole game should have been more high speed and platforming based.

The colors gimmick was just that a gimmick, BUT if you collect all the red rings and enable super sonic mode, then the all the colors are diabled and you can no longer use any colors ability. The level sections that require you to use colors are replaced with springs or whatever items to allow you to progress without using the powers. The game in this form, in my opinion, is a far stronger game than standard colors and feels more Sonic like because you have nooooo gimmicks that you're forced to use and feels a lot more like a natural modern Sonic game.

If you havnt unlocked Super Sonic, I say do it, or use a cheat code to unlock the mode with Ocarina and maybe you'll enjoy the levels more.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
As I grow older, I find myself greatly disliking RNG based games or games that rely heavily on it in some form more and more, including games I used to play like Mario Party and Mario Kart.
Something about losing to an element beyond your control is really irritating. More irritating than getting bodied by, say, Zero May Cry/Wobbling/Some other infinite.

Can't explain why, but it is what it is.

DKR4lyfe

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Where is that sound clip of the DK rap, but instead of, "to kick some tail!" It says, "from the depths of hell". I forgot to bookmark it and it was so amazing.
Why are melee characters so boring to watch and play against
You don't approve of my transcendent lasers that induce hitstun?

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
From an athetics standpoint, I think that Mech has best waifu.
I'm not enough of a nerd to actually watch all these animes to see who is truly best waifu.

Edit: @ GHNeko GHNeko I demand a pinball wizard costume for Sonic

Last edited:

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
As I grow older, I find myself greatly disliking RNG based games or games that rely heavily on it in some form more and more, including games I used to play like Mario Party and Mario Kart.
Something about losing to an element beyond your control is really irritating. More irritating than getting bodied by, say, Zero May Cry/Wobbling/Some other infinite.

Can't explain why, but it is what it is.

DKR4lyfe
Because RNG is an outdated atrocity that was shoe-horned into video games from board games and other simple, less-interactive media. Unfortunately it really is a degenerate mechanic that inherently removes depth and player interaction under the guise of "simulating the impact of chance in real life". Which, while I can see how it could be justified it in tabletop RPG's and other games which lack any real form of player interaction or mitigation, it actually tends to serve the opposite purpose in games by working against both mitigation and active, meaningful interaction and the progress one would hope to achieve from it.

IE: diceroll, you fall off a cliff vs. you fall of a cliff and have the option to try to do something about it, or don't totally fall, or any other infinite number of circumstances rng is used to completely negate and replace. So if in real life you have infinite options leading up to the "random event" (weird how professionals don't seem to randomly fall often) and infinite options during and after it. How exactly does removing control from the player in favor of rng deciding one or two stages with dice-rolls bring you any closer to the real world?

TLDR: I hate rng, a lot

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
******* don't know about RNG till you play Vindictus.

****s RNGsane

Scrolls with 1% or less drop rates from missions that take 15 mins or more.

Those scrolls have a success rate of 25%-40% depending on some meter that you try to get as close to 100 with 5 elixirs.

There is only 3 different types of elixirs.
one that randomly gives between 3 and 5 to the meter.
one that gives between 1 and 10 to the meter.
one that gives between 10 and 50 to the meter.
if you go over 100 you get minimum success rate.

on top of that, if you fail the scroll you've got some rng that determines how much durability the equipment loses, or the 20% chance that the equip is just destroyed.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
*****es don't know about RNG till you play Vindictus.

****s RNGsane

Scrolls with 1% or less drop rates from missions that take 15 mins or more.

Those scrolls have a success rate of 25%-40% depending on some meter that you try to get as close to 100 with 5 elixirs.

There is only 3 different types of elixirs.
one that randomly gives between 3 and 5 to the meter.
one that gives between 1 and 10 to the meter.
one that gives between 10 and 50 to the meter.
if you go over 100 you get minimum success rate.

on top of that, if you fail the scroll you've got some rng that determines how much durability the equipment loses, or the 20% chance that the equip is just destroyed.
Hah, sounds like grinding weapons in PSU (which at least wasn't that important). Grinding and affixing early on in PSO2 was infuriating and I remember dropping the game for an entire week because I failed to push a 9* (which is not a really high rarity weapon) to +10. Absolute and utter bull****.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I always get mad that there's nobody doing videos similar to dandyDLC nowadays
I forgot to mention all the times I've styled crossing people's shield up back and forth with Metroid's crawl

@ Soft Serve Soft Serve where's that post where you said Diddy's tech is solved? My next video should show you a thing or two

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I forgot to mention all the times I've styled crossing people's shield up back and forth with Metroid's crawl

@ Soft Serve Soft Serve where's that post where you said Diddy's tech is solved? My next video should show you a thing or two
Pls give me more tech, I'm slowly finding new things to do and ways to mix up, feed me more

Top Bottom