• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Aristod

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aristod
Here comes another "can my pc run dolphin well enough for good netplay?" question. Well can it run melee and/or project m netplay without problems?

Here it is
Dell Inspiron 620 - Core i5 2310 2.9 GHz - 8 GB - 1 TB - LED 24
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

I know, ill make my own computer soon, but for now i have to deal with this. What do u guys say? Can pm be enjoyed without worry or lag? Can it be enjoyed without worry or lag on netplay? Do you guys need more info? Thanks c:

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
Yo I have TONS of desync. But my PM 3.5 is ok, i verified it. My dolphin setings are ok too, I dont't understand.
(I played with several persons, and 0 problem with Melee)
Can somebody help me ? I can't undersant.

Thanks.

samtheman264

Smash Rookie
So I put brawl in the builder folder, and also downloaded 3.5 not from the pm website but from their mediafire mirror. I run the .bat but it says the system cannot find the path specified for every item, and no pm iso appears. I am trying to build the iso for my wii with homebrew. I did download the correct pm I believe because it says homebrew.zip. Am I doing something foolishly foolish?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Yo I have TONS of desync. But my PM 3.5 is ok, i verified it. My dolphin setings are ok too, I dont't understand.
(I played with several persons, and 0 problem with Melee)
Can somebody help me ? I can't undersant.

Thanks.
Are you sure you have all Wii Remotes set to off and Insert SD Card is disabled?

Here comes another "can my pc run dolphin well enough for good netplay?" question. Well can it run melee and/or project m netplay without problems?

Here it is

I know, ill make my own computer soon, but for now i have to deal with this. What do u guys say? Can pm be enjoyed without worry or lag? Can it be enjoyed without worry or lag on netplay? Do you guys need more info? Thanks c:
Your processor is fine, but the integrated GPU isn't even close to powerful enough to run Dolphin well.

samtheman264

Smash Rookie
So I put brawl in the builder folder, and also downloaded 3.5 not from the pm website but from their mediafire mirror. I run the .bat but it says the system cannot find the path specified for every item, and no pm iso appears. I am trying to build the iso for my wii with homebrew. I did download the correct pm I believe because it says homebrew.zip. Am I doing something foolishly foolish?
Nevermind I got it. If this happens to you try a different brawl iso

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
i too am crashing on the pokemon trainer fight in subspace on console, also my even matches seem to be the same

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Are the first 10 event matches supposed to be the same first 10 in Brawl, or is this another dolphin issue?
I will look into this as well.

Here it is

I'm not even sure about the cpu. But the integrated graphics are far too weak to run Dolphin.

i too am crashing on the pokemon trainer fight in subspace on console, also my even matches seem to be the same
Could you test if this happens without usb loading?

Little Pac

Smash Rookie
Hey, do you have an ISO builder for Mac that I can use for the full version of PM 3.5 so I can run it on console?

ultimamax

Smash Rookie
Ok so:
  • I grabbed the ISO Builder [Offline Mode]
  • I grabbed the Homebrew set from the 3.5 download page
  • I took my brawl iso and put it in a new folder
  • I extracted the files into the same folder as the iso, so that everything required is in this brand new folder.
  • I deleted the old 3.0 project m from my device using WBFSManager.
  • I even reformatted it like new to make sure it had no traces of PM 3.0
  • Result: When I boot up Project M 3.5, it opens up to the 3.0 splash screen and then the screen goes black.
How the hell is it even getting the wrong splash screen. I do not understand why I cannot get this to work. I did everything right. Any suggestions?
I know that when I give Dolphin access to several different PM/Brawl ISOs it mixes them up. Put 3.5 in a directory, isolated, and then put that as the only path for Dolphin to search for isos (Config > Paths)

Y-L

Smash Champion
The offline and online isos won't get mixed up because I gave them different game id's. However, 3.02 and 3.5 isos will.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is there a reason why all star vs doesn't work on netplay yet it does work in training mode offline?
We're not sure atm, we're looking into it.

Hey, do you have an ISO builder for Mac that I can use for the full version of PM 3.5 so I can run it on console?
Use the same builder but replace the RSBE01.gct with one from vanilla PM 3.5.

skintay12

Smash Rookie
When using the ISO builder for 3.5, I receive the error "Cannot find the "projectm\pf\" folder containing ProjectM files, exiting..." despite having the builder in the same folder as the projectm\pf\ folder. Any reason why it won't work properly?

Sean Lowitz

Smash Rookie
Im attempting to build the iso for mac and im not too great with code or terminal. I keep getting this error when i run the .py file in python- "OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied." From what ive found on google i need to run as root which i have enabled in the system preferences but im not sure how to run the .py with the root permission

Last edited:

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
i took a look at the .bat and it doesnt include the menu2 folder, which would explain why events arent being displayed. You may want to comb over the builder one more time y-l

edit: it does incluide the folder, missed that, but it does miss sc_sel_event.pac

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
When using the ISO builder for 3.5, I receive the error "Cannot find the "projectm\pf\" folder containing ProjectM files, exiting..." despite having the builder in the same folder as the projectm\pf\ folder. Any reason why it won't work properly?
Is your brawl iso in there? You try a redumped iso?

Im attempting to build the iso for mac and im not too great with code or terminal. I keep getting this error when i run the .py file in python- "OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied." From what ive found on google i need to run as root which i have enabled in the system preferences but im not sure how to run the .py with the root permission
Well it's clear here that you need administrative access. I don't know how to do this on mac, so I guess try googling how to get administrative access on a per application basis.

i took a look at the .bat and it doesnt include the menu2 folder, which would explain why events arent being displayed. You may want to comb over the builder one more time y-l

edit: it does incluide the folder, missed that, but it does miss sc_sel_event.pac
Thanks. I wasn't the one who made the iso builder for 3.5, kinda annoying how I was left out of this.. I even had to help them on release. I'll talk this over with everyone else and collaborate to try to fix all the bugs then we might rerelease.

Last edited:

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
also dont see pf\menu\intro\ending

also the use of individual files done versus folders seems weird but im sure there is a reason

Last edited:

Z-Rock

Smash Rookie
I tried to build this ISO for console. When I ran it through a USB loader I got the 3.0 banner, Then it froze. Any suggestions? I used the offline use builder.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I tried to build this ISO for console. When I ran it through a USB loader I got the 3.0 banner, Then it froze. Any suggestions? I used the offline use builder.
I recommend to people to delete everything 3.0 related before making the iso, I'm not sure why this would happen otherwise.

skintay12

Smash Rookie
Is your brawl iso in there? You try a redumped iso?

Well it's clear here that you need administrative access. I don't know how to do this on mac, so I guess try googling how to get administrative access on a per application basis.

Thanks. I wasn't the one who made the iso builder for 3.5, kinda annoying how I was left out of this.. I even had to help them on release. I'll talk this over with everyone else and collaborate to try to fix all the bugs then we might rerelease.
Yes, my Brawl ISO is here, though I am unsure if I have a redumped ISO.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
My 3.5 .iso is lagging uncontrolably... 3.0 and Melee work just fine with my dolphin, but for some reason this thing is erratic.

This is a .iso made thru my friend's PC and I downloaded it from him. Does that have any effect on the performance?

D

Deleted member

So why does this guide suggest the older version of dolphin builds?

The dolphin build used doesn't affect desyncs (well older ones might) and the newer dev builds provide major performance boost and noticeably reduced input delay, and less frame drops in directx fullscreen. I think the reduced input delay alone should convince everyone to be running the latest dev versions rather then the stable and tested ones. I'll admit I haven't actually tested if it causes desyncs but the later version haven't changed how Dolphin handles netplay so it shouldn't be an issue.

My 3.5 .iso is lagging uncontrolably... 3.0 and Melee work just fine with my dolphin, but for some reason this thing is erratic.

This is a .iso made thru my friend's PC and I downloaded it from him. Does that have any effect on the performance?
What version of dolphin are you using? You should have him send you his Brawl iso, use the iso you used for your 3.02 build, or get a new copy yourself and build it. Also check your Dolphin graphics settings to make sure they're following the tutorials optimized settings. Another thing you could try is to download the latest dev build of Dolphin and you should get a drastic performance boost from that. Also make sure you used the new Project M iso 3.5 builder and not the old one from before.

3.5 is harder to run then 3.02, but it should be only slightly. The only cause I can think of would be how the iso was made unless you changed something else as well when testing 3.02 and 3.5, but I'm assuming you're using the same Dolphin configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yudoken

Smash Rookie
Hey Y-L, I just wanted to thank you for all your support, mods and your general awesomeness =).
I really like your thread and have a few questions:
1.Could you provide an other link ti the auto patcher? And maybe a version with the other version which isn't compatible over Wifi?
I only play locally (Wii and PC) and would like to have the full experience.
I don't really care about online compatibility.

2.Could you provide other download links?
Mediafire somehow doesn't work.

Thanks again for everything!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yes, my Brawl ISO is here, though I am unsure if I have a redumped ISO.
By this I mean try redumping your brawl iso from your Wii (or reobtain it however you did)

If the md5 is correct then that is impossible. Perhaps (if you're playing on a laptop) you changed your power settings or something?

So why does this guide suggest the older version of dolphin builds?

The dolphin build used doesn't affect desyncs (well older ones might) and the newer dev builds provide major performance boost and noticeably reduced input delay, and less frame drops in directx fullscreen. I think the reduced input delay alone should convince everyone to be running the latest dev versions rather then the stable and tested ones. I'll admit I haven't actually tested if it causes desyncs but the later version haven't changed how Dolphin handles netplay so it shouldn't be an issue.
I am aware of all of the new features in the dev build, but there is a reason we have not switched. For one, dual core netplay was only recently merged, so before it would be slower to play on new builds. However now dual core works on almost all netplay games. Games do not desync in dev builds either with dual core working. The main reason we havent changed is because our branch (the version we are using is unofficial) has UDP netplay. This allows you to use those 8 digit codes and open a port for you. Using the newer builds, everyone would have to port forward, which is too annoying for most people to do. UDP netplay in the master branch is still under development and we will switch to that when it is ready. Until then, more accessibility outweighs better performance.

263774 said:
Hey Y-L, I just wanted to thank you for all your support, mods and your general awesomeness =).
I really like your thread and have a few questions:
1.Could you provide an other link ti the auto patcher? And maybe a version with the other version which isn't compatible over Wifi?
I only play locally (Wii and PC) and would like to have the full experience.
I don't really care about online compatibility.

2.Could you provide other download links?
Mediafire somehow doesn't work.

Thanks again for everything!
Strange that people are having issues with mediafire, the old builder was on there and no one had trouble with it. I'll upload mirrors today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Clarify please? :o
Well a correct md5 means the files are identical so that can't be it. If you're on a laptop set your power options in windows to high performance, maybe you accidently put that on power saver or something.

D

Deleted member

So I can't use my pro controller online then? Is there an easy workaround to getting that working?
you can enable it, it's just unnecessary since most people don't use wiimotes and use controllers instead.

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
an updated version of this builder, i just need to know what to change after adding files in the .bat so i can start trying to fix my isssues. apparently i need to change the size of the output file but am unsure how to find that

ive added these lines which seems to be missing but am not sure if i will run into ussues with the ------------- so i might have to just try the entire ending folder at once

copy /b projectm\pf\menu2\sc_sel_event.pac ssbb.d\files\menu2\sc_sel_event.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu\intro\ending\-----------.pac ssbb.d\files\menu\intro\ending\-----------.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu\intro\ending\--------------.pac ssbb.d\files\menu\intro\ending\--------------.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu\intro\ending\EndingAll31.pac ssbb.d\files\menu\intro\ending\EndingAll31.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu\intro\ending\EndingAll40.pac ssbb.d\files\menu\intro\ending\EndingAll40.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu\intro\ending\EndingSimple31.pac ssbb.d\files\menu\intro\ending\EndingSimple31.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu\intro\ending\EndingSimple40.pac ssbb.d\files\menu\intro\ending\EndingSimple40.pac
or to save time on builds i can creat one bat for the extract and a 2nd just to put it back together and back it up first

Last edited:

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
oh, looks like the items folder isnt being done either. it tries to do the entire items folder but each item has its own folder

yeah, im just going to extract it, copy the files myself, and then put it back together so i dont miss anything

really wish i knew more about this, lol, but i have a hard time just sitting and doing nothing

Last edited:

Latromi

Smash Rookie
I am using USB Loader GX with the 3.5 ISO builder for Wii loading since my Wii disc drive is busted. I got the builder off reddit, but it's the exact same URL as the one you provided for console use. I seem to be running into an issue with events.

Events run fine, but I don't think/know if they are the updated events or not. Event number 4 is still listed as "Cleaning House in Skyworld", but when I play it, its a 3 stock fight vs Dark Pit. Event 6 is still listed as "Super Bowser Bros", but playing it is a fight on Fountain of Dreams against 3 continually respawning Bowsers where you have to survive for 1 minute.

Is it just the menus not loading properly? Or are the events not working altogether? Any idea what might cause this to be happening, if something is wrong? Anyone out there know if there is a way to fix it?

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Well a correct md5 means the files are identical so that can't be it. If you're on a laptop set your power options in windows to high performance, maybe you accidently put that on power saver or something.
How to do that stuff via Mac? (sorry if I'm being a pest lol)

Top Bottom