• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Y-L

Smash Champion
I found out I don't have the most recent update. I think I have 3.0. I've heard that roy, mewtwo, and some alt costumes cause some sort of lag in this version. Could that be the reason why the menu is a bit laggy at times?
In 3.0 alt costumes lag game play with more than 2 alt costumes loaded simultaneously. Doesn't affect menus.

TecKnoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6242-7659
so there is absoloutely no way to play this online anymore through the wii?

i dont really wanna go spend money on an adapter for my PC, when wiiu is coming out with that nintendo only bull**** one im gonna need to buy.

Y-L

Smash Champion
so there is absoloutely no way to play this online anymore through the wii?

i dont really wanna go spend money on an adapter for my PC, when wiiu is coming out with that nintendo only bull**** one im gonna need to buy.
You can play on the wii over wifi (much more input lag) using the wiimmfi (3rd party) wifi servers which you can find information on with a google.

The wii u one will probably be compatible with pc as soon as someone makes drivers for it but if you dont want to wait that long you can get the dual port gc to usb adapter by mayflash on amazon for like 12 bucks.

TecKnoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6242-7659
Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
so is it worth spending the 15 bucks and play on dolphin since its less laggy? (input lag)

my computer is a beast so im not worried about anything other than input lag, i should have no issues running it smoothley at 100+fps

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nint...37828&sr=8-3&keywords=gamecube+to+usb+adapter

would that one work on my PC, i know it says wii/u exclusively but its a usb port.
Yes it is totally worth playing on Dolphin over a Wii. You're going to want this adapter.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Okay, a bit of a dilemma here.... (Not sure if this is the place I should be asking this...)

I am thinking of buying a Micosoft Surface Pro 3 soon. It's a great tablet that also functions as a laptop. No, I'm not talking about one of those really mediocre laptops. It can LITERALLY replace a good laptop. And according to several sources, Brawl runs smoothly on its predecessor, the Surface Pro 2.

Reddit Post: Brawl on Surface Pro 2, 60 fps

Youtube Video: Brawl on Surface Pro, Intel graphics 4000, Dolphin 4.0

Now, theres a model of the Surface Pro 3 that has the same specs of the Surface Pro 2, it's just thinner and with a bigger screen and more battery life. Here are the specs:

• CPU: 1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
  • RAM: 8GB LPDDR3
  • Storage: 256GB SSD
  • Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
From what I've researched, the processor is .5GHz greater than the Macbook Air, which my older brother seems to play Project M on (even Netplay) pretty darn smoothly. However the Graphics card in the Macbook Air is Intel HD Graphics 5000, which is, of course, a pretty substantial upgrade from the Surface Pro 3's graphics card. And since I'm a really huge worrywart when it comes to these things, I want to hear it from you guys only...

Is this enough to smoothly run Project M and Netplay? (Important side note, I will only play 1 v 1's, so my computer wont need to be able to handle four player matches smoothly.)

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
CPU: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4210M processor (Dual Core, 3MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M graphics with 2GB total GDDR5
RAM: 8GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 4G)
Storage: 1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Connectivity: 802.11ac Dual Band 2x2 AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0

Will this run PM on netplay at 60 fps?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Okay, a bit of a dilemma here.... (Not sure if this is the place I should be asking this...)

I am thinking of buying a Micosoft Surface Pro 3 soon. It's a great tablet that also functions as a laptop. No, I'm not talking about one of those really mediocre laptops. It can LITERALLY replace a good laptop. And according to several sources, Brawl runs smoothly on its predecessor, the Surface Pro 2.

Reddit Post: Brawl on Surface Pro 2, 60 fps

Youtube Video: Brawl on Surface Pro, Intel graphics 4000, Dolphin 4.0

Now, theres a model of the Surface Pro 3 that has the same specs of the Surface Pro 2, it's just thinner and with a bigger screen and more battery life. Here are the specs:

• CPU: 1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
  • RAM: 8GB LPDDR3
  • Storage: 256GB SSD
  • Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
From what I've researched, the processor is .5GHz greater than the Macbook Air, which my older brother seems to play Project M on (even Netplay) pretty darn smoothly. However the Graphics card in the Macbook Air is Intel HD Graphics 5000, which is, of course, a pretty substantial upgrade from the Surface Pro 3's graphics card. And since I'm a really huge worrywart when it comes to these things, I want to hear it from you guys only...

Is this enough to smoothly run Project M and Netplay? (Important side note, I will only play 1 v 1's, so my computer wont need to be able to handle four player matches smoothly.)
You want to be careful with U processors, they are ultra low voltage so will often underclock themselves to save power. Might wanna ask on the dolphin forums.

CPU: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4210M processor (Dual Core, 3MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M graphics with 2GB total GDDR5
RAM: 8GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 4G)
Storage: 1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Connectivity: 802.11ac Dual Band 2x2 AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0

Will this run PM on netplay at 60 fps?
Yes but make sure to use the integrated graphics over the dedicated card to prevent overheating. Laptops throttle if they overheat.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
You want to be careful with U processors, they are ultra low voltage so will often underclock themselves to save power. Might wanna ask on the dolphin forums.
Well, as I stated above the Surface 2 ran Brawl just fine at 60 fps and it has the same processor. Not to mention the Macbook Air also has a U processor, and my older brother was able to run Project M and Netplay very smoothly.

Now that I think about it, that mostly answers my question. Now my only worry is that the resolution on the Surface Pro 3 is much better than the Macbook Air and Surface 2. Would better resolution somehow decrease performance in any way?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well, as I stated above the Surface 2 ran Brawl just fine at 60 fps and it has the same processor. Not to mention the Macbook Air also has a U processor, and my older brother was able to run Project M and Netplay very smoothly.

Now that I think about it, that mostly answers my question. Now my only worry is that the resolution on the Surface Pro 3 is much better than the Macbook Air and Surface 2. Would better resolution somehow decrease performance in any way?
No, but it will decrease your battery life.

Y-L

Smash Champion
What does it mean if you run the check and the code doesn't match yours?

I followed your steps, even have an accurate NTSC ISO.
Are you sure it's accurate? Maybe it's scrubbed? Your iso could be an old revision (those still work just fine).

Ferminator

Smash Rookie
Can this run project m/ssbm netplay smoothly?
Intel® CoreTM i7 4510U Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 820M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM Graphics
8GB DDR3L 1600MHz SDRAM Memory

Y-L

Smash Champion
Can this run project m/ssbm netplay smoothly?
Intel® CoreTM i7 4510U Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 820M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM Graphics
8GB DDR3L 1600MHz SDRAM Memory
Try to avoid U processors, they are ultra low voltage meaning it will probably not run at it's max clock speed to conserve power. However it is a high end cpu so it might. But if possible look for a 4th gen M,MQ,or HQ cpu.

Hamman88

Smash Cadet
Will the 3.5 Iso Builder be released the same day as 3.5? Or shortlythereafter?

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Same day, don't worry
Good to know. I'm going to be all over 3.5 the moment I get the chance (my friends too). Can't wait!

Hopefully there won't be any kinks in the updating process.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Good to know. I'm going to be all over 3.5 the moment I get the chance (my friends too). Can't wait!

Hopefully there won't be any kinks in the updating process.
Going to be adding an auto disable items on startup code to the gct so that's why we have to make sure everyone downloads the new builder instead of modifying their old one. I'll try to upload it within a few hours after release.

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
Excited for the new builder, but I was wondering if it would be easy to remove the startup code for myself when building it?

Y-L

Smash Champion
i meant the gct, but im fairly sure i can now
I'm not sure what you're asking with "startup code" but if you mean the unlock characters code yes you can, but that will desync you over netplay. Don't try to modify the old builder to work with 3.5 though.

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what you're asking with "startup code" but if you mean the unlock characters code yes you can, but that will desync you over netplay. Don't try to modify the old builder to work with 3.5 though.
is it just a dysnc thing or will this corrupt it, this is for console use so i dont have to worry about that

Y-L

Smash Champion
is it just a dysnc thing or will this corrupt it, this is for console use so i dont have to worry about that
For console you should be able to use the old iso builder, just replace the gct with the 3.5 one and the projectm folder with the 3.5 one. However if they changed the size of the gct significantly then you'll have to change GCTSIZE in the .bat.

Because of this it's easier just to wait.. the iso builder will be released very shortly after 3.5 is.

Last edited:

Little Pac

Smash Rookie
Is the Mac method still current? Or should we wait until it's updated? Because it just links to the reddit post.

Irnkman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Irnkman
I'm having an issue, I'm playing the ISO on Dolphin 4.02 (offline) and every time I play a match, Captain Falcon shows up as a challenger afterwards, whether I win, lose, or even after a "No Contest". Any ideas? Thanks

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I have a problem. I did everything you said in OP, but when I run the .ISO it runs a 3.02 title and then it freezes...

EDIT: Nevermind, I had the SD port activated. Now it's ok!

Last edited:

lehoangvu639

Smash Rookie
I'm having an issue, I'm playing the ISO on Dolphin 4.02 (offline) and every time I play a match, Captain Falcon shows up as a challenger afterwards, whether I win, lose, or even after a "No Contest". Any ideas? Thanks
Me too, but with Sonic instead...

Top Bottom