• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.0 Trailer Released!

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Who wants to make bets on what upcoming secret they accidentally leak this time?

JaCoBScLuB72

Smash Rookie
I must have it! There is so much stuff going on in this it's crazy! Kirby looks like he will be the next ninja!

Pichu? No? Okay :(

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Amazing, simply amazing. I love it. all of it....nnngh. Delicious. Nutritious. Filled roster.
Someone's been watching too much Shofu.

On another note, 3.0 is looking amazing. My life is now complete.. after finals that is.

Kati

Smash Lord
Dear PMBR,

I would like to make a tiny suggestion, not for your project, but for the presentation of your project. Those who don't understand our thrill for competitive matches describe this mod as one that saps everything that is fun about smash out, which is obviously not true. With trailers such as the latest receiving media attention from the likes of kotaku, I humbly suggest that for future trailers you consider including clips of frantic free-for-alls with items on bizarre large and uneven stages.

Or, make a separate trailer/promo video that clearly states that P:M does not take away items, or anything for that matter (with the exception of curry I guess). The fact is however, that the promotional material released to the public and less proactive internet users presents P:M from one perspective, and people unfortunately assume that the other one no longer exists.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I must have it! There is so much stuff going on in this it's crazy! Kirby looks like he will be the next ninja!

Pichu? No? Okay :(

Speaking of Pichu, joke characters need love too!
No seriously though, if they can revamp Roy (who was also a bad clone in SSBM), then I have no doubts that they could do a good job of making Pichu interesting and original. But this isn't the thread for that, so I digress.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Dear PMBR,

I would like to make a tiny suggestion, not for your project, but for the presentation of your project. Those who don't understand our thrill for competitive matches describe this mod as one that saps everything that is fun about smash out, which is obviously not true. With trailers such as the latest receiving media attention from the likes of kotaku, I humbly suggest that for future trailers you consider including clips of frantic free-for-alls with items on bizarre large and uneven stages.

Or, make a separate trailer/promo video that clearly states that P:M does not take away items, or anything for that matter (with the exception of curry I guess). The fact is however, that the promotional material released to the public and less proactive internet users presents P:M from one perspective, and people unfortunately assume that the other one no longer exists.

Echoing this. As someone who cares about the competitive scene but mostly plays casual free-for-all due to the lack of a competitive scene where I live, I can confirm that the game you have made *is* a massive improvement from Brawl on every level that makes casual play so much more fun, and not one of the casual players I've introduced to it can go back to Brawl now that they've tried P:M. The thing is, that absolutely doesn't come across from the trailers, which just don't seem fun at all from a casual player's perspective. I usually just end up sending You Only Ganon Twice instead, which doesn't really showcase Project M's more spectacular additions but does a good job at showing the appeal of a faster game with stronger characters.

Showcase Mewtwo and Roy's Final Smash, Bowser Fsmashing someone through a bomb, Charizard chasing and killing someone off the top with Fly only to get Solar Beam'ed to death, Lucario's Aura Sphere, Jiggs' Rest, Tink's Up B finisher some Home-Run Bat KOs because everyone loves these, etc. All in Free-for-All with spectacular items. Once that's out of the way (possibly with a couple competitive but still flashy clips mixed in), it's safe to have more competitively oriented footage. Competitive players already know what PM is and they won't stop watching the trailer because of some FFA footage, but casual players will most certainly stop watching if it starts with some seemingly "not for them" competitive footage.

Another thing that should probably be advertised more, and that can actually be put in a way that appeals to both casual and competitive players is the "Input Assist" option. Casual players trying PM out for the first time absolutely need to know about this option and turn it on, otherwise the game will feel laggy and unresponsive to them, and they'll probably blame "poor coding" for it, so that should probably be explained next to the download link and somewhere in the trailer. It's really easy to put it as a selling point too, something like: "Turn the Input Assist option on for some easy-to-play, accessible fun, or keep it off for a precise, high-level competitive experience".

The final trailer before the 3.0 release will get some good exposure on gaming sites, and it's a huge opportunity to draw in casual players. There is a very, very large demand for Mewtwo, and that alone is a massive selling point if you can convince casual players the fun wasn't sucked out of the game. And hey, once they notice how a game designed by competitive players is so much more fun than Brawl, maybe they'll try out competitive play after all.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
So after watching the VGBootCamp 3.0 demonstration, I'm so excited to see the returning characters are all extremely viable. Even Yoshi.

Hell, especially Yoshi.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Dear PMBR,

I agree with this. PJM gets a lot of hate for being a "tourneyfag" mod for Brawl, when it's more like a mod that balances the game. I think PJM devs should try to combat this negative image it has in some people's minds.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I agree with this. PJM gets a lot of hate for being a "tourney***" mod for Brawl, when it's more like a mod that balances the game. I think PJM devs should try to combat this negative image it has in some people's minds.
What does PJM stand for? Project Jack Morris? Project Jobless Malasis?

splat

Smash Lord
What does PJM stand for? Project Jack Morris? Project Jobless Malasis?
Peanutbutter Jelly Mime.

Also, I love the little touches the PMBR puts in - stuff that takes a bit of work but makes the experience just a bit better. I really like how Yoshi's shield now matches his body color and how Kirby gets Wario's cap upon inhaling. It makes it feel much more like a complete game.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Peanutbutter Jelly Mime.

Also, I love the little touches the PMBR puts in - stuff that takes a bit of work but makes the experience just a bit better. I really like how Yoshi's shield now matches his body color and how Kirby gets Wario's cap upon inhaling. It makes it feel much more like a complete game.
You mean the PJMBR?

Rat

Smash Lord
@Yoki, Kati

You make some excellent points. Casual smash is what made me love the game and the series. Don't want to take that away from anyone or have them get the wrong impression from the Trailers.

Also You only Ganon Twice is one of my favorite PM videos. 11/10

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Can we please get info on the new characters, like updated character pages, before the release. Giving us this data twice a week would be ideal.:3
Fill the rest of the time with stages and confirmed costumes. :3
leave some easter eggs, but seriously TEASE us.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Can we please get info on the new characters, like updated character pages, before the release. Giving us this data twice a week would be ideal.:3
Fill the rest of the time with stages and confirmed costumes. :3
leave some easter eggs, but seriously TEASE us.
It's not a direct tease, but they've actually added a stage to the game. The Training stage seen in the trailer does not appear to actually replace anything and instead is a wholly new addition to the game on page two of the stage selection screen. HYPE.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
View attachment 4478
Credits to the people that made these pictures
I have no idea who made this and I can't stop it from spreading, but I would prefer that my image not be used in this manner, especially not without coming to me first or asking. I know, it's within the community, they may have thought it was a safe bet or whatever, but it isn't. Come to me first.

I doubt anyone will adhere, but it's on the record.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I have no idea who made this and I can't stop it from spreading, but I would prefer that my image not be used in this manner, especially not without coming to me first or asking. I know, it's within the community, they may have thought it was a safe bet or whatever, but it isn't. Come to me first.

I doubt anyone will adhere, but it's on the record.
Good that you posted here, and I apologize again prog. EVERYONE SHOULD BE SORRY

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
My first thought of Kirby + turbo mode
Mega kirbycide. Side-Up B into Normal-Up B on an offstage character... EPIC
HHHHHYYYYYPPPPPEEEEE!!!!!

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
It's not a direct tease, but they've actually added a stage to the game. The Training stage seen in the trailer does not appear to actually replace anything and instead is a wholly new addition to the game on page two of the stage selection screen. HYPE.
I'm saying for them to put up the info on the pm site. I want teasing like a real game would. (Disregard the terminology, it's the only word I could think of)

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
******* winter just came early!!!

but really though is anyone worried that smash 4 isn't going to be as good as this?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Dats crazy yo.

Brawl was a good game in itself. Just wasn't Melee.

I'm sure smash 4 will surprise as well.
Brawl was a gigantic disappointment for me. I know some people really enjoyed it, but a giant game of tag where there basically was no balance and 0-Death chain-grabs doesn't do it for me. Sakurai would have to make one hell of a great game to have me interested in anything that he puts together in the Smash universe. I am curious though, if Pac-Man is going to be in the game. He was in Mario Kart GPX, so maybe.

Back on topic though, this trailer still has me hyped and I've been watching streams of 3.0 throughout the day. Can't stop the hype train.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Hype train has no brakes.

i just wish i got to see more gameplay. and it would be awesome to see oilmar in turbo mode. then again was the gameplay of oilmar in turbo?

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Some Stuff Shown and Mentioned in the 3.0 Stream:

- Snake has a new re-loadable handgun attack
- Final Smashes for both Roy and Mewtwo are in the game (as well as presumed FSs for the Trainer's Pokemon)
- P:M staff is thinking about adding the option to select Samus' Fire/Ice move-swap from Character Select due to high number of requests
- Character tweaks and balancing has occurred across the entire roster of characters, as to be expected from P:M, but nice to hear confirmed
- Clone Engine Characters are currently being discussed as we speak
- JCaesar's stream on Thursday is going into more detail about changes and be highly technical, so get hyped
- Etc.

Pkjoan

Smash Apprentice
Some Stuff Shown and Mentioned in the 3.0 Stream:

- Snake has a new re-loadable handgun attack
- Final Smashes for both Roy and Mewtwo are in the game (as well as presumed FSs for the Trainer's Pokemon)
- P:M staff is thinking about adding the option to select Samus' Fire/Ice move-swap from Character Select due to high number of requests
- Character tweaks and balancing has occurred across the entire roster of characters, as to be expected from P:M, but nice to hear confirmed
- Clone Engine Characters are currently being discussed as we speak
- JCaesar's stream on Thursday is going into more detail about changes and be highly technical, so get hyped
- Etc.

Once it's Thursday, can you post everything mentioned on said stream?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Is it possible to have 6 player matches?

Mewtwo Samus Roy Kirby Yoshi and Olimar with all items on in turbo mode.
Best match setup ever!

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Once it's Thursday, can you post everything mentioned on said stream?
Yeah, I'll try to come up with a list, although for the most detailed explanations it would probably be best to tune into the stream and let the P:MBR peeps do the talking.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
@Kati & Yoki: We're aware of the negative "tournament elitist" press we have been getting. Just know we don't espouse such views. I even had an open letter written a while back about this:

https://plus.google.com/105828946404202947372/posts/QwcYSjKcXXx

We're in agreement with you, and I think we'll make more efforts to present the product in a way they can find relevant to them.

Oh I know that, and I think it's particularly awesome that you do spend some time and effort for people outside of your main target demographic, going as far as coding adjustable buffer and such, and I'm grateful for that too! I was just suggesting to fight back Project M's undeserved reputation amongst casuals by tweaking your presentation a bit, and I'm glad to hear it's been considered because you guys really deserve to get your outstanding work out there to a larger audience.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@Yoki, Kati

You make some excellent points. Casual smash is what made me love the game and the series. Don't want to take that away from anyone or have them get the wrong impression from the Trailers.

Also You only Ganon Twice is one of my favorite PM videos. 11/10

Me too. I play competitively with my bros and none of us use very much ATs (at least wavedashing or L-canceling, actually). Some ATs we know by instinct (crouch-canceling for example).

I wish I could suggest my bros to play less seriously time to time as they keep blaming victories to random elements if we had items on and so forth tho. Still, I knew that PMBR is not making PM for competitive scene, instead they try their best to bring best Melee and Brawl together (with little bit of 64) to make the ultimate Smash-experience, while giving it many new twists to evolve it even further.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Im sure you guys will do whatever you feel is best for the game when it comes to the demographic :)

This was slightly pointed on in the AMA by Warchomp, but I would highly encourage in your spare time to consider an updated training video- I remember having a hell of a time wrapping my brain around Wavedashing and such- and till this day im not sure if Im even doing it right.

Im sure anyone on the team could make a simple guide to the advanced techniques :) I for one want to get better, but some tthings you have to know about first before even getting better! Cant practice something you dont know exists c:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Im sure you guys will do whatever you feel is best for the game when it comes to the demographic :)

This was slightly pointed on in the AMA by Warchomp, but I would highly encourage in your spare time to consider an updated training video- I remember having a hell of a time wrapping my brain around Wavedashing and such- and till this day im not sure if Im even doing it right.

Im sure anyone on the team could make a simple guide to the advanced techniques :) I for one want to get better, but some tthings you have to know about first before even getting better! Cant practice something you dont know exists c:
VGBootcamp just joined up with somebody else to plan and release a new wave of competitive tutorial videos. Expect those in the near future. I know I'm excited!

Top Bottom