• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I fixed the grab, thanks much, Indigo. All I had to do was make the hookshot appear for the single frame that the grab came out on.
Sounds like you guys could make use of this command:

Article Visibility
10050200: 0-Article ID, 3-True/False

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Thanks Eldiran! Works well!

Although I'm having a small issue, I'm not sure if it's the article visibility's fault or not. One one frame of his grab (It seems the the one with the hookshot), if I get somebody right then, you can't throw them or anything.

I'll do some testing to see if it's the fault of visibility in a bit. But aside from that little hiccup (Happening maybe 10% of grabs, if that), I've got brand new grabs, grab attack, grab release, and all throws, working perfectly! (Dthrow is my old one, but that's still custom)

I gotta put out a set today or tomorrow.. There's something like 10+ subactions edited, several of which are completely new moves for Geno.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Is that problem occuring only on the first grab of the match? Or perhaps also the next grab after he uses his air tether? If so, that's a problem I encountered and fixed as well.

Otherwise... just make sure the hookshot exists for as long as the grab hitbox does, I suppose.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Oh, just realized that I had a frame where the grab hitbox was out, but there was no hookshot. Thanks!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
OP UPDATED, NEW FIGHTER GENO!

Go check it out. Tons of new moves. Tons of polish. Much thanks to Indigo for some SFX and GFX.

Oh, and there's more?

SWORD AND SHIELD REMOVED PERMANENTLY!

Screenshots will come soon.

Also Indigo, you wanna take pictures of each of your moves? I'm thinking that'd be a good way for everybody to know what each move is. Or something. I'm not sure yet, gotta think all of it through.

Sails

Smash Ace
THE VOLUME GOES UP
TO ELSEVEN ON THIS

Seriously, I beta tested it somewhat. It's pretty badace. Great job as usual Shadic :thumbsup:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
LARGE CAPITAL FONT GIVES ATTENTION. BILLY MAYS RIP.

Badace is something I can get behind!

monkeybeast0

Smash Rookie
Just though I'd point out, what seems like its the new change log for Fighter Geno actually says Cosmic Geno 10-25 at the top. Could cause some confusion. Aside from that keep up the good work.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
idk if you knew this but geno pulls out his sheild and sword for his geno whirl lol
1) That's only Cosmic Geno. 2) We know.

Just though I'd point out, what seems like its the new change log for Fighter Geno actually says Cosmic Geno 10-25 at the top. Could cause some confusion. Aside from that keep up the good work.
Whoops. Thanks.

As a side-note, it'd be much more helpful if people actually mentioned which Geno they're talking about.

GenoWhirl9999

Smash Rookie
Well, I've got to say guys, I am really impressed with what you are doing here. As my name suggests, I am a huge Geno fan. Both versions are awesome! I have one question though: I was originally directed to this site while searching Geno pics (I found this one http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs35/f/2008/292/f/5/Geno_for_Brawl_by_fluxmage.png), and I was wondering if that model, or something like it, was eventually going to be incorporated into the mix (or if that was even possible). Anyhow, keep up the good work, and if I can find a way to help, I will. Cheers!

I lied! I have a second question....What happens if kirby swallows Geno? Thanks in advance for the answers.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
This is sounding pretty good. I haven't tested it yet, but I have a feeling that we're going to get much closer to a full collab pretty soon. :)
Until I do, I'd like to hear specific opinions on whether or not Cosmic Geno's Bair is preferable to Fighter's new one. It's a bit unusual, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to change it.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
This is sounding pretty good. I haven't tested it yet, but I have a feeling that we're going to get much closer to a full collab pretty soon. :)
Until I do, I'd like to hear specific opinions on whether or not Cosmic Geno's Bair is preferable to Fighter's new one. It's a bit unusual, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to change it.
I think I like your Bair better, if only because it's original.
:p

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Dropping in to comment on Fighter Geno... I'll test Cosmic sometime soon.

Overall, really nice. I'm not sure if there's a spike on d-air, but there doesn't need to be if there isn't. I just thought it was somewhat strange to have a high angle on it.

I would like Geno Beam to be able to be held when fully charged (i.e. not automatically fire), but IDK if that's possible (?).

B-air is much improved.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... While we're at it, can we start talking about his Final Smash? I haven't improved on the original design in a while...

Shadic, I know you said a while ago that you wanted it to be Geno Blast, but personally I think that since he has five special moves in SMRPG, those five should be his special moves in Smash (hence Geno Blast as down-B), with Geno Flash being his Final. Although it was doubtable whether or not creating the cannon was possible, now we might be able to explore new avenues, besides having to deal with my vaguely cannon-shaped special effect cluster. I'm thinking... importing a texture-hacked Cracker Launcher model to replace one of his unused special effects.

Sounds nice, eh? Unfortunately I haven't had much luck with effect swaps, so I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to help.

Also, while we're on the subject, where are the universal GFX data in the partition? I'd also like to make Geno Blast multicolored, if that's possible. It uses the 'sparks' effect.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Shadic, I know you said a while ago that you wanted it to be Geno Blast, but personally I think that since he has five special moves in SMRPG, those five should be his special moves in Smash (hence Geno Blast as down-B), with Geno Flash being his Final. Although it was doubtable whether or not creating the cannon was possible, now we might be able to explore new avenues, besides having to deal with my vaguely cannon-shaped special effect cluster. I'm thinking... importing a texture-hacked Cracker Launcher model to replace one of his unused special effects.
Well, I'm considering a new Special move for my Geno (Down B, specifically) that's going to be VERY much based off a certain Geno attack. I don't want to spoil anything, especially because I have to figure out how to make it work first... Thinking I'm going to be using some of Indigo's code for this.

The problem with Geno Blast being a normal move is that there's almost no way to prevent it from being over powered. If you changed it so it was more like Pikachu's Thunder, but with greater range, then maybe. But the diagonal, half-the-range-of-Final-Destination attack is either going to be ridiculous or weak.... At least, that's how I feel.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm considering a new Special move for my Geno (Down B, specifically) that's going to be VERY much based off a certain Geno attack. I don't want to spoil anything, especially because I have to figure out how to make it work first... Thinking I'm going to be using some of Indigo's code for this.

The problem with Geno Blast being a normal move is that there's almost no way to prevent it from being over powered. If you changed it so it was more like Pikachu's Thunder, but with greater range, then maybe. But the diagonal, half-the-range-of-Final-Destination attack is either going to be ridiculous or weak.... At least, that's how I feel.
Hmm... well, if you say so, I guess I'll wait to see what you're working on. But I've yet to find a person who finds Geno Blast to be either overpowered or worthless, despite what it looks like. It took a lot of fine-tuning, but I think its pretty balanced as it is - although I did have to take it into account when building the rest of his moveset. Most importantly, it has a strong feel of Geno-ish authenticity - more so if I can get the multicolored thing going.

Anyway, I tried out the latest Fighter Geno, and I like its feel as a fighter - as a Geno, I've already stated my opinion on the matter so I won't get into that now. His new Bair feels a lot more natural than the old one, Dair is a little awkward to hit with at first but it's a good move once you get the hang of it. There is a slight problem with the aerials, although it's pretty hard to avoid, in which the animation kind of clashes when he slowly turns into the original character's falling pose and then suddenly jumps to Tink's. Of course, with Fighter Geno's fast-falling physics you don't have to worry about that so much since he usually hits the ground before he finishes the animation anyway - still, it might be possible to use frame rate modifiers to make it look a little smoother. As for his new taunt... perfect! I can't believe I didn't even think of Ness! *facepalm* Also, good job getting the throws to work right, although I'm a little surprised that you didn't just take Down throw from Ness also, seeing as how it's pretty much the same idea as its current version besides avoiding the whole 'stuck in the floor' thing.

So yeah, I'm going to use some of these and get back to making my next build - right after I put some finishing touches on this minor project/abomination I've been throwing together over this past week... :demon:

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Personally, I like Geno Blast, but I don't think its balanced.In single player, normally its kinda worthless, but it has alot of edgeguarding potential, its only real use, and its really easy to see coming... In the air, it's kinda worthless in 1v1. It turns Broken in teams, as it just adds up to too many possibilities. I like the idea for the move, but it could be more balanced.

Despite the brokeness in teams, the huge plus and the huge negative don't even out, I'm gonna say that It's kinda weak.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Added a buncha new pictures (Removed the old) so you people who haven't tested it before can give it a try.

GenoWhirl9999

Smash Rookie
Question for cosmic geno...I downloaded the file, but what do I rename the actual thing. I already have the fittoonlink03.pcs so it replaces his third costume, but the moves aren't taking. What am I doing wrong. I apologize if this has been talked about before. Thanks in advanced.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I must say, this project is very polished. I tried out the Cosmic Geno and I was very pleased with what was brought to me. I wouldn't mind at all even if Geno replaced Toon Link permanently since I never felt Toon Link fit Brawl in general.

There's no way to have both Fighter Geno and Cosmic Geno playable at once, correct?

Thanks for the awesome character.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I chatted with him about it. There was some freak glitch with the Ice Climbers where a grab release was doing 999%. Still haven't been able to replicate it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Doublepostbump:

Hey Indigo, I think you made a typo or something in your latest pac, or maybe even before.

Subaction 1D1 GFX has a goto to 0x0000FA01, did you mean 0x0000F1A0? Because FA01 is empty.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Doublepostbump:

Hey Indigo, I think you made a typo or something in your latest pac, or maybe even before.

Subaction 1D1 GFX has a goto to 0x0000FA01, did you mean 0x0000F1A0? Because FA01 is empty.
Translation pl0x?
xD

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Doublepostbump:

Yeah, you got it. Thanks!

Are you by any chance trying to make Geno Beam work in the air? Now that I think about it, proper use of frame rates might make it doable. The problem with it was that if you started charging in the air and then hit the ground, the charge count would reset, which could get confusing, so I took out the air charge altogether (using Samus as a justification). But I think that has to do with the animation being on a loop, or something, so if you could slow down the animation and then speed up the events so that the loop wouldn't be necessary, it might work...

GenoWhirl9999

Smash Rookie
I had a minute, so I thought I'd throw out my opinion of Cosmic Geno. I love how he plays uniquely! All of the custom stuff you've done is remarkable. That being said, there is still room for improvement.

First- I find that in one-on-one matches, I can't kill on the ground unless I hit with Geno Whirl (which is lovely by the way). Here are some suggestions: Make Geno Beam storable, make forward tilt a bit more like wario's (to emphasize the rocket punch and ko aspect), or make his forward smash reach a tad farther (maybe as it goes out farther, it sinks a little). You might also try making Geno Blast like pikachu's thunder, but slower, and still put him into fall state. Another idea for forward tilt is to make a samus rocket wood colored and have it reach out and then retract.

Second- In the air, I find it easy to connect with his aerial, but I find that they don't knockback enough (plenty of % though). I suggest making down air hit a little to the side (either, like fox's dair) to give him a good hard hitting aerial, that doesn't require setup (like fair). Or, you could change bair to something more concrete (like another rocket punch move), so instead of just the fire puffs you could have the current ftilt effect shoot out a few times at a few different angles.

Third- Fighter Geno has the Ness head nod as a taunt, but this one doesn't. I say its a perfect fit for the Geno taunt! I think its a must (however small).

Last- Overall, I find that the lag after certain moves is a bit disproportionate. Ftilt, might need a bit less start up, but the ending lag is necessary to keep it in check. Uair and Dair, mostly, should have less ending lag in my opinion.

The only other suggestions I can make are to graphically change jab and Geno Blast. That will go a long way to make him feel more like Geno (just like original sound effects would, but I am under the impression that that is impossible). Other than that, keep up the good work! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to weigh in on one of my favorite Video Game characters.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Not of any near-recent sets. Both Indigo and I would probably be pretty happy to get one though, hah.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, just to give some idea of what I'm doing:

I'm probably not going to change any of his moves significantly unless there's a clear public opinion on how it should be changed. That being said, I am making some changes using move swaps, although not as many as Fighter Geno.

Expected changes:
All grabbing and throwing copied straight from Fighter Geno, but with star-based instead of aura-based effects.
The Nod, although I prefer making it his down taunt and moving the 'item' taunt (currently down) to his side taunt.
FTilt's first hit will have a set, small knockback, making it much easier to get the double hit.
Possibly some kind of change to Dair. Unfortunately, trying to use the down kick with Cosmic Geno's floatier physics means that the animation choppiness at the end of it will occur frequently (it happens with Fighter too, but since he usually hits the ground anyway before the attack finishes it isn't quite as annoying.) And that annoys me.

Possible changes:
Trying to make Geno Boost work the same on the ground and in the air.
Also trying to make Geno Beam chargeable in the air.

Possible future changes:
I'd like to find some model that looks like a bullet for use in his jab. I never liked the shiny bullets but he's got to have a Finger Shot somewhere in his moveset. Does anything in this game have bullets? (The Infantry and Tanks don't seem to have a model for their shots... I don't get it.)
Still looking for the original 'spark' GFX in the Partition. If someone could point them out to me, I could try making a multicolored Geno Blast.
Make a real cannon for his Final Smash using a texture edited Cracker Launcher model, and get it to work properly.

Top Bottom