• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, the 3DS version certainly has told us a lot.

DLC? Who knows.

I think we're only going to have 54 characters on the CSS when all is said and done. In this light, those last 5 slots will probably be DLC.

Still, there's the chance that this 3DS roster is all there is. Wouldn't that be something? I'm not complaining--we're not in the position to complain. Just feels like all the time spent defending certain characters' merits has been for nothing.

My bet? Krystal's not gonna make it. Sorry guys, I just can't hold onto hope anymore--it's too taxing.

I don't think I'll be around to speculate for the next Smash, if there's even a next Smash.

Maybe around the year 2021?

Heh... We'll see. Time will tell.

I'll hang around for the group forum, but I don't think I'll post all that often.
I blame Sakurai's KI bias, I might just buy a PS4 instead, punishing Sakurai's refusal to listen to us

D

Deleted member

I blame Sakurai's KI bias, I might just buy a PS4 instead, punishing Sakurai's refusal to listen to us
Kinda pointless though considering how much of a giant advertising beast Smash is. They're too busy showerin themselves with dosh, a boycott is useless

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Kinda pointless though considering how much of a giant advertising beast Smash is. They're too busy showerin themselves with dosh, a boycott is useless
Yeah, but this roster sucks, this roster proves that Nintendo doesn't listen to their fan base, and if they will ignore us, Star Fox or no Star Fox, than I'll take my money to Sony, who actually is trying to listen to the fanbase

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but this roster sucks, this roster proves that Nintendo doesn't listen to their fan base, and if they will ignore us, Star Fox or no Star Fox, than I'll take my money to Sony, who actually is trying to listen to the fanbase
All right, its your call but IMO its kind of futile at this point.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
All right, its your call but IMO its kind of futile at this point.
That's exactly why the PS4 is kicking Nintendo's ass, because Nintendo is refusing to listen to the fans, while Sony is listening and the Wii U's failure will probably teach Nintendo a lesson, that they can't ignore the fan base

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Nintendo knows we'll all still buy Smash--it has too much marketing power by itself, regardless of which characters get in.

This is why they probably feel they don't have to listen to us that much. They can do whatever they want and still get millions of sales.

This is why speculation is useless.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Nintendo knows we'll all still buy Smash--it has too much marketing power by itself, regardless of which characters get in.

This is why they probably feel they don't have to listen to us that much. They can do whatever they want and still get millions of sales.

This is why speculation is useless.
Well that's arrogance, and as you can see tjay will inevitably bite them in the backside, and it has been the case with the Wii U

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Well that's arrogance, and as you can see tjay will inevitably bite them in the backside, and it has been the case with the Wii U
Well we have to consider the honor and strictness of the Eastern culture that Nintendo hails from. Perhaps the older members of the Nintendo devs adhere to this a lot?

It would make sense, because "bending to the whim of fans" could be considered "dishonorable" in some eyes. As silly as that sounds.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well we have to consider the honor and strictness of the Eastern culture that Nintendo hails from. Perhaps the older members of the Nintendo devs adhere to this a lot?

It would make sense, because "bending to the whim of fans" could be considered "dishonorable" in some eyes. As silly as that sounds.
Well, true, but there's also honor in humility and admitting blame, and remember that traditions unfortunately can't last forever, many Jewish Americans have assimilated into the American culture with little to no observance of Jewish traditions, oh and Sony is also from Japan, yet they listen to their fans, it's clearly not dishonorable

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's exactly why the PS4 is kicking Nintendo's ***, because Nintendo is refusing to listen to the fans, while Sony is listening and the Wii U's failure will probably teach Nintendo a lesson, that they can't ignore the fan base
But do you know why Sony is listening? Its not because they want to be good guys to anyone, its because they're pinching pennies by cutting off divisions & firing many employees. They had to get themselves in good graces ever since that PSN 2011 hack

Tobias Amaranth

Smash Apprentice
Or maybe you're being incredibly short sighted and there's more than you could ever imagine in store for this game in the future. We don't know Nintendo's marketing plans in the least. Pokemon, Mario, and Kid Icarus have all been 'big things' in the last few years. The other main series have not been.

But there's nothing preventing them from adding additional characters down the line anymore. The game is an engine, and the passengers on the hype train can grow in number.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
But do you know why Sony is listening? Its not because they want to be good guys to anyone, its because they're pinching pennies by cutting off divisions & firing many employees. They had to get themselves in good graces ever since that PSN 2011 hack
You're right, and Nintendo needs to listen to their fans more if they want to turn Wii U around, there's an old saying, which Nintendo has learned the hard way "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Easy, guys. We all had the wind taken out of our sails today, okay?. We're all in this. Let's not make any emotionally-charged and shortsighted decisions.

The good news about this iteration of Smash compared to the others is that we're not done yet. For the first time, Nintendo can create post-release content and add things that might've missed the cut originally. We could see newcomers added via Spotpass or DLC, and anything added that way could only improve the roster. It also potentially puts Krystal in a very good position to be added around when the new Star Fox comes out and makes her relevant again. She might even get the nod over Wolf, because every newcomer that made it this time had a combination of high moveset potential and/or something unique the other characters don't have...both of which she'd provide.

I like us having a group to fall back on...but to those who want to talk in real time, my Skype name is the same as it is here.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Easy, guys. We all had the wind taken out of our sails today, okay?. We're all in this. Let's not make any emotionally-charged and shortsighted decisions.

The good news about this iteration of Smash compared to the others is that we're not done yet. For the first time, Nintendo can create post-release content and add things that might've missed the cut originally. We could see newcomers added via Spotpass or DLC, and anything added that way could only improve the roster. It also potentially puts Krystal in a very good position to be added around when the new Star Fox comes out and makes her relevant again. She might even get the nod over Wolf, because every newcomer that made it this time had a combination of high moveset potential and/or something unique the other characters don't have...both of which she'd provide.

I like us having a group to fall back on...but to those who want to talk in real time, my Skype name is the same as it is here.
Okay, fine but if the DLC sucks, I am going PS4

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
Guess I'll post this last picture though, I don't think it's all that great and it's old. x)

You guys are always welcome to find me on Miiverse (search either Krayon or Kaphonie) once you get a wii u. ^^ I'll join the Star Fox thread Tillie made but I may not be that active. x) I've already said why I like Krystal just a few pages back so I won't repeat it. x) I'll keep waiting for her as DLC for Smash and for her appearance in the new Star Fox. ^^ and if I remember, I'll definitely be back when it's time to speculate Smash 5 xD

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys, guys, it ain't over yet, remember the marketing theory is one step closer to being reality, Sakurai probably predicted the backlash and rage as part of the plan, he and Hideo Kojima are the biggest trolls in gaming

D

Deleted member

Guys, guys, it ain't over yet, remember the marketing theory is one step closer to being reality, Sakurai probably predicted the backlash and rage as part of the plan, he and Hideo Kojima are the biggest trolls in gaming
Until we get info about DLC, Wii U features & the such, its really safe to assume Krystal isn't playable. Have to move on now or you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
....I was planning on getting a wii u anyways....Well atleast there's hyrule warriors but guys I swear where getting a star fox character....

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Actually...

I've been looking at the thread with the old marketing theory for old time's sake:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...erent-hidden-characters.365209/#post-17371243

Perhaps what's really happening is more like this? I know I've said I revised it since, but these pointers pretty much have stayed the same.

What do you think of this idea:

The Wii U version and 3DS version feature a single horizontal row's worth of different characters (9 characters)? This means there would be 9 different characters on the Wii U version that aren't on the 3DS version. The roster size, for both versions, would be initially the same in numbers (48 or 49, I believe).

For example: Falco could be on the 3DS version while he doesn't initially appear on the Wii U version. Wolf could be the character who appears alongside Fox on the Wii U version instead. Maybe even Krystal as well?

Another example: DHD appears on the 3DS version while he doesn't initially appear on the Wii U version. Another character could appear on the Wii U version instead?

And then these 9 characters from each version could be transferable between each version or as DLC if you own just one of the versions.

Finally, those last 5 slots could be standalone DLC for both versions?

Who knows?

Sometimes I hate my mind. It literally looks for odds and ends wherever possible, even in the bleakest of moments--just to give me hope (because I'm passionate about Smash and these characters who weren't included, darn it!). It's such a dichotomy...

EDIT: Forgot to mention! These extra characters won't be exclusive. They'd only be featured by each version respectively. They're transferable.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys, what random said makes sense, though I am now having cautious optimism, which is what we need with Sakurai, seriously I am sure Sakurai predicted the Smash community would rage about the 3DS roster

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

The Wii U version and 3DS version feature a single horizontal row's worth of different characters (9 characters)? This means there would be 9 different characters on the Wii U version that aren't on the 3DS version. The roster size, for both versions, would be initially the same in numbers (48 or 49, I believe).

For example: Falco could be on the 3DS version while he doesn't initially appear on the Wii U version. Wolf could be the character who appears alongside Fox on the Wii U version instead. Maybe even Krystal as well?

Another example: DHD appears on the 3DS version while he doesn't initially appear on the Wii U version. Another character could appear on the Wii U version instead?

And then these 9 characters from each version could be transferable between each version or as DLC if you own just one of the versions.

Who knows?
I've been wondering something like that, myself. I wouldn't go as far to say nine characters, but I could possibly see 4-6 that start exclusive to one version but can be transferred over, kind of like version exclusives in Pokemon. It'd certainly be a way to hype the Wii U version...but at this point, DLC seems like a more likely route for Krystal to take.

Speaking of which, I don't see any reason they'd be restricted to four (the leak didn't have the Mii Fighters' box) DLC characters. They could extend the CSS if they wanted, or put them all in a single DLC box that pops up and lets you pick between the ones you have.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I've been wondering something like that, myself. I wouldn't go as far to say nine characters, but I could possibly see 4-6 that start exclusive to one version but can be transferred over, kind of like version exclusives in Pokemon. It'd certainly be a way to hype the Wii U version...but at this point, DLC seems like a more likely route for Krystal to take.

Speaking of which, I don't see any reason they'd be restricted to four (the leak didn't have the Mii Fighters' box) DLC characters. They could extend the CSS if they wanted, or put them all in a single DLC box that pops up and lets you pick between the ones you have.
I'm saying 9 because it's both one complete horizontal row of characters on the 3DS CSS...

And...

It is, simultaneously, the number of additional trophies needed to cap the 3DS trophies to 700--assuming the trophies from the leak were all of them (686). This is also assuming if Sakurai wanted to leave the 3DS version with 700 trophies even.

Of course those 5 additional slots would have to be standalone DLC (686 + 5 = 691). That leaves the 9 additional transferable exclusives (691 + 9 = 700).

That's where I got 9 from.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm saying 9 because it's both one complete horizontal row of characters on the 3DS CSS...

And...

It is, simultaneously, the number of additional trophies needed to cap the 3DS trophies to 700--assuming the trophies from the leak were all of them (686). This is also assuming if Sakurai wanted to leave the 3DS version with 700 trophies even.

Of course those 5 additional slots would have to be standalone DLC (686 + 5 = 691). That leaves the 9 additional transferable exclusives (691 + 9 = 700).

It makes perfect sense, who knows maybe Krystal will be revealed tomorrow for all we know, to quote my dad "Wait and see"

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

And...

All Star Mode's still around, and isn't it likely everyone will get Final Smash trophies again? That'd only let it work if there were 7 hidden characters total.

I doubt they'd restrict themselves to something as trivial as final trophy count if they wanted to add more characters, anyway.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Actually...

I've been looking at the thread with the old marketing theory for old time's sake:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...erent-hidden-characters.365209/#post-17371243

Perhaps what's really happening is more like this? I know I've said I revised it since, but these pointers pretty much have stayed the same.

Who knows?

Sometimes I hate my mind. It literally looks for odds and ends wherever possible, even in the bleakest of moments--just to give me hope (because I'm passionate about Smash and these characters who weren't included, darn it!). It's such a dichotomy...

EDIT: Forgot to mention! These extra characters won't be exclusive. They'd only be featured by each version respectively. They're transferable.
That looks like a logical way to even out both versions and a incentive to persuade People to get both versions. It would even help boost the Wii U sales which really needs. That theory that Cities' s mentioned is becoming more of a reality.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Hey, check this out:

http://nintendonews.com/2014/09/link-super-smash-bros-unlock-fighters/

It concerns the rumor of linking both Smash versions together to unlock more fighters.

All Star Mode's still around, and isn't it likely everyone will get Final Smash trophies again? That'd only let it work if there were 7 hidden characters total.

I doubt they'd restrict themselves to something as trivial as final trophy count if they wanted to add more characters, anyway.
The 3DS version might not have Final Smash trophies--just simple trophies of each fighter. The Wii U version on the other hand...

Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Albeit, I would feel more comfortable with Krystal's inclusion through the theory if Wolf was not usurped by a costume.
Could be good for krystal supporters that wolf is cut..bad for wolf supporters.
Sadly these leaks never include anything about Krystal which is disheartening.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Could be good for krystal supporters that wolf is cut..bad for wolf supporters.
Sadly these leaks never include anything about Krystal which is disheartening.
This is also true. I mean, it is not as though Fox had a blue-palette swap... or a gender swap. Krystal is one of the safer choices if Wolf is out of the way. It really depends on her role in Star Fox U in my opinion. If we are to ever get another Star Fox character, it is certainly her. She is the most prominent right after Fox/Falco (I would probably argue that she is more pertinent than Falco, but no one here disagrees :troll:).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wolf's gone. Live and let die. Although to be honest.. I doubt Krystal is going to be one of the four extra characters.

Tipps4728

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tipps4728
Wolf's gone. Live and let die. Although to be honest.. I doubt Krystal is going to be one of the four extra characters.
love what you did with the name, anyways the only way I see Krystal making it in now is if 2015 is really the year of Starfox. Then she would have a higher chance with DLC in my opinion (as long as she is in the new game). As of now, I'm kinda disappointed with the roster.
*sniff sniff*

Whats this, huh? It smells like marketing...

It's marketing.
Just wondering if you've heard the rumors about being able to control the boss in boss battle on the Wii U with the control pad thing.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I guess this is it for now. Time to turn the lights off and lock the door.

Maybe, stars willing, some time soon we'll get to reopen again...

Last edited:
Top Bottom