• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For me, it should be more of a hybrid of every world put together for Krystal like what they did with Fox and Falco just like how they did it for them in the upcoming SF Zero game for instance. Can't wait to see Omni's take on Krystal being Smashified soon. As for the sig you're talking about, here's the full pic for it for everyone so that they would get an idea how it would look like.

Also, not long ago, Nintendo posted some more official character art for the main cast for the upcoming SF Zero game and here it is:

Speaking of that, it appears that Alfore recently posted this new Krystal support pic in the Miiverse and here it is:

Thanks to you we're on 10,000 posts and this one will push it over to 10,000 replies! WOO!

Doesn't necessarily mean Krystal is the most popular character but you know what the say, "The only worse than been talked about is not being talked about".

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
For me, it should be more of a hybrid of every world put together for Krystal like what they did with Fox and Falco just like how they did it for them in the upcoming SF Zero game for instance. Can't wait to see Omni's take on Krystal being Smashified soon. As for the sig you're talking about, here's the full pic for it for everyone so that they would get an idea how it would look like.

Also, not long ago, Nintendo posted some more official character art for the main cast for the upcoming SF Zero game and here it is:

Speaking of that, it appears that Alfore recently posted this new Krystal support pic in the Miiverse and here it is:

Just seeing that Krystal pic next to the Zero characters official art, you can see that Krystal matches their aesthetic pretty well. She'd fit in with that crew pretty good as clearly a member of the team with an outfit like that. Just a couple little things aren't as "uniform" as the rest of the team. Seems her belt would have to be gold with a holster, her flightsuit one color, and her boots some kind of "standard issue". But that's only if we wanted her to look like a member of the team in Star Fox Zero. Smash isn't so completely uniform. Fox and Falco have more color and design variation in Smash than they do in Star Fox Zero. Basically, this look for Krystal would fit right in to Smash. I really like that it's understated and cool. It doesn't have the issues that Adventure's outfit might have and it's more interesting and less "Zero Suit-y" than her Assault look.

Zero's appearances mainly look like an updated 64 look... although I can see the influence of Assault maybe in the details. It's fairly close to Smash's appearances, which seem more like 64 meets Command. The Command influence in Smash is more seen in the character representation and less in the outfits though.

Alfore just keeps churning these things out. Thought about doing another Miiverse pic myself last night but the idea to reality phase was much less easy this time so I called it quits before I got too deep in the process. I didn't start on it until like 2:30 am anyways and I wanted to get to bed.

Also, like Guybrush said, it's pretty cool that we're at 10,000 plus posts in this thread now. How many of us were actually even around this thread when it first started? I know I wasn't around here until March I think, though I've been a Krystal supporter for years. Pretty crazy how much the players here have changed as the thread's evolved. Many Krystal supporters have passed through these parts, as well as lots of other types too, heh.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Star Fox Zero really represents the flaws in Nintendo's idea about "innovation", actually it's just a rehash of SF64 with better graphics and few new gimmicky features. Gimmickry and Innovation are two drastically different concepts. The SNES and NES were innovative hardware. The Wii wasn't, it was a crappy GameCube with a motion controller, which is nothing new for the record. Motion Controls have been done before, even Nintendo tried it before with the Power Glove, which a piece of junk. All Star Fox Zero was to me, was merely Nintendo pandering to the whiny part of the fanbase and throwing in a few gimmicks, and I dislike that. Say what you want about Sony and Microsoft, they may not "innovate" like Nintendo, but they are good at making enjoyable games

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Star Fox Zero really represents the flaws in Nintendo's idea about "innovation", actually it's just a rehash of SF64 with better graphics and few new gimmicky features. Gimmickry and Innovation are two drastically different concepts. The SNES and NES were innovative hardware. The Wii wasn't, it was a crappy GameCube with a motion controller, which is nothing new for the record. Motion Controls have been done before, even Nintendo tried it before with the Power Glove, which a piece of junk. All Star Fox Zero was to me, was merely Nintendo pandering to the whiny part of the fanbase and throwing in a few gimmicks, and I dislike that. Say what you want about Sony and Microsoft, they may not "innovate" like Nintendo, but they are good at making enjoyable games
Sony and Microsoft don't actually really make the games doe...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yeah, I guess but Playstation themselves aren't making it. I guess its like second party, kinda like Golden Sun. Camelot makes Golden Sun, but Nintendo owns the rights and publishes the game.
True but Sony technically makes their fantastic MLB The Show games, due the developers being called Sony Computer Entertainment San Diego

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Plus they're innovation is fake now, what with Splatoon and Project Giant Robot (you guys remember the vids I showed you about them, right?).

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Too often I check in here and see that the thread has been derailed into discussion of Nintendo's failings. I'd like to see more support stuff in a character support thread.

Sadly don't have anything super special to add but just thought I'd comment on this.

Alrighty, I'm gonna play some Smash now.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I've been thinking about what it would be like if Krystal were to be introduced in a future Star Fox title and I thought I'd share an idea I had. Basically, after Andross' defeat at the end of Star Fox Zero (He's obviously gonna be the final boss again), he ends up on Cerinia where they nurse him back to health. He inevitably destroys the planet for one reason or another, killing everyone except for the daughter of the royal family, that of course being Krystal. He brainwashes her and gives her a new identity of Kursed and tells her that the Star Fox team were the one responsible for her planets destruction, which causes her to go after them. After multiple failed attempts to defeat them, the Star Fox team stumbles across Cerinia or at least whats left of it and discover her true identity. They lead her there, where they find an all powerful staff, the only weapon capable of destroying Andross once and for all. This triggers her memory and she leaves as she doesn't want to accept it. The star fox team track her down on the Planet Sauria (This is also where she discovers he telepathy) where something happens which causes her to join them and help them defeat andross. The Star Fox team then end up recruiting her as a new member of the team at the end.

I dunno just a thought I had, also I'm really tired and bored.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about what it would be like if Krystal were to be introduced in a future Star Fox title and I thought I'd share an idea I had. Basically, after Andross' defeat at the end of Star Fox Zero (He's obviously gonna be the final boss again), he ends up on Cerinia where they nurse him back to health. He inevitably destroys the planet for one reason or another, killing everyone except for the daughter of the royal family, that of course being Krystal. He brainwashes her and gives her a new identity of Kursed and tells her that the Star Fox team were the one responsible for her planets destruction, which causes her to go after them. After multiple failed attempts to defeat them, the Star Fox team stumbles across Cerinia or at least whats left of it and discover her true identity. They lead her there, where they find an all powerful staff, the only weapon capable of destroying Andross once and for all. This triggers her memory and she leaves as she doesn't want to accept it. The star fox team track her down on the Planet Sauria (This is also where she discovers he telepathy) where something happens which causes her to join them and help them defeat andross. The Star Fox team then end up recruiting her as a new member of the team at the end.

I dunno just a thought I had, also I'm really tired and bored.
Fun idea. Quite the twist on the usual story. I'll admit that I'd miss Krystal's less messed up past. That's a pretty rough way to reintroduce her to Star Fox, heh. Would give her a lot more depth though.

One thing that's a real no for me though... implying Krystal is royalty. I've never liked this idea. The whole "princess" thing has been done to death. Yeah, I get that she seems important and being a sole survivor with a powerful and redeeming weapon, must've been at one time... but there's got to be better explanations. Maybe she was a guardian/priestess of a sacred shrine on Cerinia or some other explanation for her skills and importance. Perhaps silly, but the more "normal" I can imagine the unexplained details of her already heavy handed past the better. It's hard enough being a sole survivor telepath with a powerful weapon, heh.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally I think if Krystal is re-introduced her backstory would be either completely rewritten or mostly ignored. I could imagine a Sauria level where Krystal riding a Cloudrunner shows up as an NPC ally and helps advance the plot in some minor manner, similar to Kat and Bill in 64.

Maybe keep the whole Cernia business but make it so she spent most of her life on Sauria though that may be ripping off Samus and the Chozo a bit.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Fun idea. Quite the twist on the usual story. I'll admit that I'd miss Krystal's less messed up past. That's a pretty rough way to reintroduce her to Star Fox, heh. Would give her a lot more depth though.

One thing that's a real no for me though... implying Krystal is royalty. I've never liked this idea. The whole "princess" thing has been done to death. Yeah, I get that she seems important and being a sole survivor with a powerful and redeeming weapon, must've been at one time... but there's got to be better explanations. Maybe she was a guardian/priestess of a sacred shrine on Cerinia or some other explanation for her skills and importance. Perhaps silly, but the more "normal" I can imagine the unexplained details of her already heavy handed past the better. It's hard enough being a sole survivor telepath with a powerful weapon, heh.
For me anything can be possible to reintroduce her. After all, she has already established herself in the franchise and she is there to stay no matter what. For a story around her, they can make it simple and introduce her to being a pilot in the Cornerian Forces(different from Command's story) and she is partnered up at that time with Fay and Miyu over there. What do you think? Another way I can see for her in the game is of course reintroduce the planet Sauria in a different limelight and the Starfox team is sent there to repel Andross's invasion from conquering the planet and that is where Krystal gets involved and the team meets her for the first time.

As for a reply on the 10,000 post I did there, thanks a lot guys on the comments. I'm flattered. Let's keep the momentum going for Krystal and to continue our support while not letting it die out. Just 57 more days before the ballot ends.

BTW, guys. Alfore just posted up another Krystal pic here from the Miiverse.

As for you IantheGamer, here is a link that I found regarding about Starfox Zero that could ease your troubles from that comment you did there of the game having its flaws and being gimmicky you posted not long ago. Hopefully this will help http://www.bidnessetc.com/business/why-fans-should-still-believe-in-star-fox-zero/

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I don't think it's at all impossible that Krystal was royalty given her appearance and her all powerful weapon (She had to inherited it from somewhere). Plus it would make more sense for the story I had, a royal family is more likely to have images of themselves and their family than some kind of guardian would. Honestly if they wanted to, they could expand that section with Fox and Krystal investigating the destroyed cerinia and have her backstory appear in a smaller and more subtle way before being fully revealed. Maybe they find the staff along with some prophecy that she was the one that was supposed to destroy andross and that was why he destroyed the planet in the first place. Honestly, either works.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Completely overhauling Krystal's current backstory, in my opinion wouldn't be a good idea. Truth is I kinda like the idea of Krystal's past being mysterious/unknown. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake or a re-imaging of Adventures & Assault after Star Fox Zero. A re-imaging of Assault, & especially Adventures is definitely something Nintendo should consider doing to expand on Krystal's current backstory. Seeing a remake of Adventures would be pretty cool because I always wondered what it would been like if Fox had freed Krystal from her prison earlier (as the unused voice clips for the game sugested) rather then at the end of the game. Now for the remake of Assault I'm sure everyone in this thread would know how cool that would be. Command doesn't need one imo considering how many people don't like the game.

Anyway, I know we're all sour about Star Fox Zero mainly because Krystal didn't show up (plus no online multiplayer I mean WTF Nintendo!!!), but I think once we receive more information on the game via a Nintendo Direct will have better view towards how we feel about the game. Also I can see why most Star Fox fans received Assault more so then Adventures or Command. Nintendo did the right thing with Assault and gave players what they loved from SF64 and made it better to a degree of course. Where as with Adventures and Command Nintendo basically took the shells of already in development games, & striped them the of what they didn't want in the games then kept the new gimmick or game play environment from the in development games. Once Nintendo was satisfied with the mess of a game that was in front of them they called it day and shipped it out to the masses to make money as fast as possible. Don't get me wrong I loved Adventures, but some of the cut content they kept out of the game would been interesting to see in the finished product. I can't say much about Command because I haven't played it ever, but from the game play I've seen and going on Wikipedia to spoil the story plus all the endings ( I was in between on getting the game because of the mixed reviews back then and know that I think about it I'm happy I didn't. XD) I've come to the conclusion that Nintendo really dropped the ball on Command when they were creating it that's for sure. Nonetheless, if Krystal gets in as Sm4sh DLC it could allow her to possibly become a more likable character then what she is seen as now.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I thought enough of Command to buy it a second time on the eShop. I think it's been unfairly judged under the same lense we've been using for the rail shooting entries, because the more I think about it, the more it comes off as a strategy game to me. Star Fox players are accustomed to action that flies straight at them with no pauses in between. Command by contrast is a turn based game with heaps of dialogue woven in. Some of it I liked and the rest I found questionable, but I loved that they put their heart and soul into it. I could tell they cared about the story even if the writers weren't the most talented people in the world. One other thing I'll say about Command is that its visuals were plain gorgeous for the DS and it would have more than held its own as a pure rail shooter. On one hand, I feel like it's the one that got away; the amazing traditional SF we could have had on that platform. On the other, it's a clear attempt at thinking outside the box, which is something we've been criticizing Nintendo for not doing with the series lately.

With that out of the way, I believe they should pick up where they left off in Assault and build on Krystal's background from there. It's asking a lot for Nintendo to dedicate an entire game to her when she's been out of the spotlight for so long, so I think it would be a good idea to piece her background together during the next one. Make it a chain of submissions. A side quest of sorts that unlocks something at the end so players have a reason to know more about the character they love (or hate). I'm afraid that a complete retelling of her origin story would result in the loss of a lot of cool aspects about her we've come to like, such as the fact that she's potentially the last survivor of an advanced race and that she owns a really cool staff (best I've ever seen). We will be hard pressed to recognize her as just another space pilot born and raised in Corneria. Be careful what you wish for, it would be all too easy to make her a vanilla character that blends in with Katt and Bill.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally, if we are to take Zero as an alternate Universe I'd make Krystal the defender of Dinosaur Planet as a sort of Tarzan of the Apes only a vixen and with Dinosaurs. A lot of potential for fish out of water stuff and a vauge enough backstory for any story they wish to do but can safely ignore if not.

Bonus: she's playable in multiplayer but all her craft are Dinosaurs.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Personally I think if Krystal is re-introduced her backstory would be either completely rewritten or mostly ignored. I could imagine a Sauria level where Krystal riding a Cloudrunner shows up as an NPC ally and helps advance the plot in some minor manner, similar to Kat and Bill in 64.

Maybe keep the whole Cernia business but make it so she spent most of her life on Sauria though that may be ripping off Samus and the Chozo a bit.
I agree with this more or less, mainly the first and last sentences. I actually like your idea. Maybe she had an interest in ancient technology and went to discover things at Sauria since it seemed to have a lot of that. Maybe she found the staff there and it's not actually Cerinian. I like the notion that Krystal could be out seeking knowledge without the necessity of it. Like her pure interest in such things was the driving force as much as anything.

Of course, this is assuming they rewrite her backstory. I wouldn't mind the simplicity of this alternative at all. The sole survivor thing was a bit much for me admittedly. If Zero is the beginning of an alternate timeline, then perhaps the Star Fox team has a hand in saving Cerinia and Andross flees to Sauria undetected having discovered that there's much potential energy he could use to recoup after his defeat. Maybe somehow he runs across Krystal's research of Sauria on Cerinia and it's part of the reason he chooses to go there. The timeline would be fairly similar from there, but Krystal's character wouldn't be burdened by that heavy handed backstory.

But if they have nothing or they're going to try and build on her existing past... I might just rather have it ignored too. Ideally, they'd come up with a nice clean alternative, but you can't be sure you can trust such things to happen.

In Miyamoto's case, I think he prefers to keep things mysterious about his characters and hinder their development because in doing so he makes them timeless. Its like how shows like the Simpsons don't age or change their characters so that 30 years later they're the same characters. Mario likewise isn't a grey-bearded retired plumber who sits and watches his son hunt koopas. I don't think Miyamato would ever want that. Same with Star Fox although there's something a bit more "saga-like" about it's lore. As a result, Star Fox seems to be headed down the Legend of Zelda path. Alternate timelines, but recurring characters.

Krystal could use a fresh start, but it has to be well done and not forced... because otherwise it may not be worth doing at all. Not that she shouldn't be reintroduced, but if they're not going to put in an effort to rewrite her backstory, then perhaps it should be ignored or kept a mystery. The little idea I had in the second paragraph is the sort of thing I'd prefer though. An uncomplicated backstory that's not as heavy handed or dramatic. Krystal is just a talented young Cerinian interested in ancient technology, but got caught up in a bigger scheme. Something like that.

Btw, regarding Krystal's current canon backstory, anyone else find the soul survivor story weird? I mean, in an interstellar civilization what are the chances that every Cerinian but one was home for the planet's destruction. Logic dictates that although Krystal may believe herself to be a soul survivor because as far as she's been able to tell she is... there must be others that were out on some mission of their own and came back home to find nothing. There could even be Cerinians that immigrated to another planet before Cerinia was apparently destroyed.

For me anything can be possible to reintroduce her. After all, she has already established herself in the franchise and she is there to stay no matter what. For a story around her, they can make it simple and introduce her to being a pilot in the Cornerian Forces(different from Command's story) and she is partnered up at that time with Fay and Miyu over there. What do you think? Another way I can see for her in the game is of course reintroduce the planet Sauria in a different limelight and the Starfox team is sent there to repel Andross's invasion from conquering the planet and that is where Krystal gets involved and the team meets her for the first time.

As for a reply on the 10,000 post I did there, thanks a lot guys on the comments. I'm flattered. Let's keep the momentum going for Krystal and to continue our support while not letting it die out. Just 57 more days before the ballot ends.

BTW, guys. Alfore just posted up another Krystal pic here from the Miiverse.

As for you IantheGamer, here is a link that I found regarding about Starfox Zero that could ease your troubles from that comment you did there of the game having its flaws and being gimmicky you posted not long ago. Hopefully this will help http://www.bidnessetc.com/business/why-fans-should-still-believe-in-star-fox-zero/

I also like this idea. I mentioned something very similar when we were discussing how possibly Krystal could make a cameo in Zero. I mentioned that perhaps in Zero there's a mission to Cerinia and Star Fox allies with a force tasked to defend Cerinia and perhaps Krystal is part of that team. There's evidence Krystal is an accomplished pilot even before she was on Star Fox team anyways. This would be a rewriting of her character though, so anything goes. One thing brought up however is that apparently Krystal has a canon age and would be awfully young during the Lylat Wars. I have no idea where canon ages have been pulled from but I don't think it was ever anything discussed in-game. There's a chance that aspect of Krystal's character could be rewritten too, especially if the only canon re-aging her would be breaking is some reference in a concept art book or something.

That Alfore pic has quite a different style from her usual stuff. Most of her Krystal pics have this certain simple "anime-ish" style to them. In that one the eyes and nose have more detail put into defining their shapes.

I don't think it's at all impossible that Krystal was royalty given her appearance and her all powerful weapon (She had to inherited it from somewhere). Plus it would make more sense for the story I had, a royal family is more likely to have images of themselves and their family than some kind of guardian would. Honestly if they wanted to, they could expand that section with Fox and Krystal investigating the destroyed cerinia and have her backstory appear in a smaller and more subtle way before being fully revealed. Maybe they find the staff along with some prophecy that she was the one that was supposed to destroy andross and that was why he destroyed the planet in the first place. Honestly, either works.
I don't think it's impossible either. It seems to be a popular headcanon in fact. I'm just not a fan because it's really cliche. So until it's confirmed canon, I steer far away from that implication. I'd rather think Krystal is much more interesting than that, and by interesting I mean, not too "interesting". A character that's the soul survivor of her planet, has telepathic abilities, AND is a princess is a bit much, lol. Yeah, I'll give Leia a pass. Much of Leia's persona is wrapped around her being important and her surprisingly "unprincessy" attitude. But I'd much rather Krystal be closer and more relatable to not only the players, but her own teammates. I don't like the idea that Krystal might be a superior VIP teammate when she seems like she's just one of them with a few special talents making her unique.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Completely overhauling Krystal's current backstory, in my opinion wouldn't, wouldn't be a good idea. Truth is I kinda like the idea of Krystal's past being mysterious/unknown. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake or a re-imaging of Adventures & Assault after Star Fox Zero. A re-imaging of Assault, & especially Adventures is definitely something Nintendo should consider doing to expand on Krystal's current backstory. Seeing a remake of Adventures would be pretty cool because I always wondered what it would been like if Fox had freed Krystal from her prison earlier (as the unused voice clips for the game suggested) rather then at the end of the game. Now for the remake of Assault I'm sure everyone in this thread would know how cool that would be. Command doesn't need one imo considering how many people don't like the game.

Anyway, I know we're all sour about Star Fox Zero mainly because Krystal didn't show up (plus no online multiplayer I mean WTF Nintendo!!!), but I think once we receive more information on the game via a Nintendo Direct will have better view towards how we feel about the game. Also I can see why most Star Fox fans received Assault more so then Adventures or Command. Nintendo did the right thing with Assault and gave players what they loved from SF64 and made it better to a degree of course. Where as with Adventures and Command Nintendo basically took the shells of already in development games, & striped them the of what they didn't want in the games then kept the new gimmick or game play environment from the in development games. Once Nintendo was satisfied with the mess of a game that was in front of them they called it day and shipped it out to the masses to make money as fast as possible. Don't get me wrong I loved Adventures, but some of the cut content they kept out of the game would been interesting to see in the finished product. I can't say much about Command because I haven't played it ever, but from the game play I've seen and going on Wikipedia to spoil the story plus all the endings ( I was in between on getting the game because of the mixed reviews back then and know that I think about it I'm happy I didn't. XD) I've come to the conclusion that Nintendo really dropped the ball on Command when they were creating it that's for sure. Nonetheless, if Krystal gets in as Sm4sh DLC it could allow her to possibly become a more likable character then what she is seen as now.
That cut content was because of Microsofts buyout as old Rare even stated, the buyout caused development time to be strained that it resulted in Andross being chucked in at the last minute, Nintendo didnt really do anything to ruin it other then have the IP converted into a Star Fox game which really did save the IP from getting in Microsofts hands. Remember, Nintendo didnt even consider a sequel themselves at the time, so Adventures prevented the series from being dead much sooner as much as some claim it was the downfall.

They do forget the genre Star Fox is, is dead. Not only does no developer or consumer bother with this kind of game anymore, but 64 3D I heard sold very poorly that it hadnt even broke the million mark in four years since it came out, and if that is the case, Zero's already doomed for this reason, but who knows really.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Well things escalated quickly here after my big post didn't it? Anyway, I can't wait see what new information we'll get about Star Fox Zero because with the amount of gameplay that has been shown already I can't really pass a clear judgement on it so early with out it being completely negative. Until then my efforts right now are focused on getting our favorite blue telepahic vixen known as Krystal in to Sm4sh as DLC.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
In Miyamoto's case, I think he prefers to keep things mysterious about his characters and hinder their development because in doing so he makes them timeless. Its like how shows like the Simpsons don't age or change their characters so that 30 years later they're the same characters. Mario likewise isn't a grey-bearded retired plumber who sits and watches his son hunt koopas. I don't think Miyamato would ever want that. Same with Star Fox although there's something a bit more "saga-like" about it's lore. As a result, Star Fox seems to be headed down the Legend of Zelda path. Alternate timelines, but recurring characters.

Btw, regarding Krystal's current canon backstory, anyone else find the soul survivor story weird? I mean, in an interstellar civilization what are the chances that every Cerinian but one was home for the planet's destruction. Logic dictates that although Krystal may believe herself to be a soul survivor because as far as she's been able to tell she is... there must be others that were out on some mission of their own and came back home to find nothing. There could even be Cerinians that immigrated to another planet before Cerinia was apparently destroyed.
The thing is Miyamoto only has like 3 franchises, Mario, Zelda and Star Fox, the last 2 were also passed along to other developers and he didn't really have much input on them in the post-64 era. We really have no idea on his thoughts on Star Fox storywise as Zero could just be a way of rebooting it and getting whatever came before it out of the way and start fresh.

I assume it's somewhat like Superman's backstory, they sent her away somewhere save before it all happened, presumably because she's special in some way, this also explains why she has this extremely powerful staff

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
They do forngs get the genre Star Fox is, is dead. Not only does no developer or consumer bother with this kind of game anymore, but 64 3D I heard sold very poorly that it hadnt even broke the million mark in four years since it came out, and if that is the case, Zero's already doomed for this reason, but who knows really.
I completely agree. I seriously wonder is anyone (who isn't already a fan of SF series) interested in SF Zero. I think the only way for the series to truly live on is to go back to Assault style with mix of ground and air combat, rather than going back to old and dated gameplay of on-rail shooting...

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Well things escalated quickly here after my big post didn't it? Anyway, I can't wait see what new information we'll get about Star Fox Zero because with the amount of gameplay that has been shown already I can't really pass a clear judgement on it so early with out it being completely negative. Until then my efforts right now are focused on getting our favorite blue telepahic vixen known as Krystal in to Sm4sh as DLC.
I agree, although my judgements of Zero aren't completely negative. They're not what I'd like them to be though so I'm hopefully I'll see more to make me feel better about the game.

And same.

The thing is Miyamoto only has like 3 franchises, Mario, Zelda and Star Fox, the last 2 were also passed along to other developers and he didn't really have much input on them in the post-64 era. We really have no idea on his thoughts on Star Fox storywise as Zero could just be a way of rebooting it and getting whatever came before it out of the way and start fresh.

I assume it's somewhat like Superman's backstory, they sent her away somewhere save before it all happened, presumably because she's special in some way, this also explains why she has this extremely powerful staff
We know his approach to how the games he has influence over should be handled. He may not have been in direct control of anything for a while, but he still has influence. I was only mentioning how he approaches many of his games and why Star Fox was designed to be timeless from the start I believe. Revisiting the same events in different ways for the third time (Not including the 64 remake on 3D since it was just a remake) is proof of that.

Again, not a huge fan of placing more importance on Krystal's character. Her backstory is already heavy handed. The "chosen one" thing is very cliche and further "dehumanizes" her. I'd rather have a character, someone that feels real, than a symbol in a high concept story. Some people already claim Krystal is a Mary Sue, and building up a pedestal under a character with an already extraordinary story just makes her seem even more unbelievable.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I completely agree. I seriously wonder is anyone (who isn't already a fan of SF series) interested in SF Zero. I think the only way for the series to truly live on is to go back to Assault style with mix of ground and air combat, rather than going back to old and dated gameplay of on-rail shooting...
I've heard Japan no longer even cares about the series, and even hates the new look Fox was given in Command before Zero. Though this has been said a couple months ago on my end and a few others, but really had Sakurai stuck with his original idea, Kid Icarus Uprising would've been the sequel i'm pretty sure everyone would've loved.

As the dead screenshot I referred to months ago, I think altering the genre of Star Fox would be the only thing to bring it back, i'm not saying get rid of the flight or anything, but definitely give it a new approach since the arcade rail shooter genre is no longer a thing. Having the team behind this would be really helpful, at least for the writing, characters, and designs, the gameplay should at least be handled by someone else as the game they made here suffered from really easy gameplay.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I've heard Japan no longer even cares about the series, and even hates the new look Fox was given in Command before Zero. Though this has been said a couple months ago on my end and a few others, but really had Sakurai stuck with his original idea, Kid Icarus Uprising would've been the sequel i'm pretty sure everyone would've loved.

As the dead screenshot I referred to months ago, I think altering the genre of Star Fox would be the only thing to bring it back, i'm not saying get rid of the flight or anything, but definitely give it a new approach since the arcade rail shooter genre is no longer a thing. Having the team behind this would be really helpful, at least for the writing, characters, and designs, the gameplay should at least be handled by someone else as the game they made here suffered from really easy gameplay.

Not sure what your pic there has to do with your post, but I guess that's were your avatar comes from, huh? Cool. Maybe the show/game your avatar is from is a genre or something you prefer?

Btw, earlier I commented on how I thought an interesting alternative backstory for Krystal would be if she was a Cerinian that was simply interested in ancient technology and went to Sauria for that purpose. It then occurred to me that if she was really interested in such things, it's kind of funny that she'd hop on the Star Fox team later and do something different. But then I thought, wouldn't it be fun if Star Fox wasn't just about mercenaries fighting wars in fighters. We know from Adventures that they tackle other tasks in peace time. Of course they still want to be making money somehow. So I thought of a Star Fox spin-off idea where they explore and treasure hunt on different planets. Perhaps they'll run into real problems doing this and do some samaritan work. Think like sidequests in a Zelda game type stuff or perhaps something big enough that the main story of the game gets pushed towards them uncovering something bad that has to be dealt with. Perhaps Mass Effect is an okay example as it features a main story and side quests that uncover deeper details and are personally related to other members of your team.... although, the main story doesn't necessarily need to be so dramatic and dire as Mass Effect is. I'd totally play a game like this. Could be where the Adventure's like gameplay could go for the Star Fox series.

Blocks of text, so long to read. :crying:
I like reading and writing them, heh. Although, RandomCities used to do these huge things even I'd get lost in.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Star Fox could work if Nintendo removes the rails entirely, making it a full control space shooter, where you can control the Arwing completely, that's how to revive Star Fox

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Not sure what your pic there has to do with your post, but I guess that's were your avatar comes from, huh? Cool. Maybe the show/game your avatar is from is a genre or something you prefer?

Btw, earlier I commented on how I thought an interesting alternative backstory for Krystal would be if she was a Cerinian that was simply interested in ancient technology and went to Sauria for that purpose. It then occurred to me that if she was really interested in such things, it's kind of funny that she'd hop on the Star Fox team later and do something different. But then I thought, wouldn't it be fun if Star Fox wasn't just about mercenaries fighting wars in fighters. We know from Adventures that they tackle other tasks in peace time. Of course they still want to be making money somehow. So I thought of a Star Fox spin-off idea where they explore and treasure hunt on different planets. Perhaps they'll run into real problems doing this and do some samaritan work. Think like sidequests in a Zelda game type stuff or perhaps something big enough that the main story of the game gets pushed towards them uncovering something bad that has to be dealt with. Perhaps Mass Effect is an okay example as it features a main story and side quests that uncover deeper details and are personally related to other members of your team.... although, the main story doesn't necessarily need to be so dramatic and dire as Mass Effect is. I'd totally play a game like this. Could be where the Adventure's like gameplay could go for the Star Fox series.

I like reading and writing them, heh. Although, RandomCities used to do these huge things even I'd get lost in.
From what the dead image said, Solatorobo was made by CC2, this team is more known for making the .//Hack series, but their first game was Tail Concerto. Solatorobo is basically a spiritual successor to it, and it took CC2 years to get it lit because Tail Concerto didnt sell all that well. Solatorobo did sell well in Japan, enough that merchandise was made from you typical items to Artbooks and fanbooks even. It may not of sold very well outside Japan, but the developers were happy to get it out there and they knew it wouldnt do that well, but that's beside the main point, the point is if they put a ton of effort into this game with the writing, characters, design, and even the world.

If they were able to put that amount of time and effort into that, then imagine what they could do if Nintendo got them to do it? They could probably make everyone likable, establish each planet more by going in details about what they have, show that the characters do things when they're not fighting (their rooms, items, etc), and much more. I again say someone else should handle the gameplay because while the game was good, Solatorobos gameplay suffered for being way too easy.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
So I've been thinking... Usually we get a direct every other month. Last time we got one was in June. We're in August.

Anybody's thinking we might have one this month or do you think the update is all we're getting ?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
So I've been thinking... Usually we get a direct every other month. Last time we got one was in June. We're in August.

Anybody's thinking we might have one this month or do you think the update is all we're getting ?
I don't think we're getting a direct until way past October when the first character is finished, unless, that is, they had yet another pre-ballot character up their sleeve this whole time. I dunno. What do you think?

Top Bottom