• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I just hope that the Star Fox series continues at this point with or without Krystal. I love the series and don't want to see it go the way of F-Zero at all.

I just wish more companies did reboots right like the new PS4 reboot of Ratchet and Clank.
I mean F-Zero aint dead...
Also isn't Ratchet and Clank on PS4 just a remake of the first game? (Remake not remaster/rerelease/HDifying)

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Also isn't Ratchet and Clank on PS4 just a remake of the first game? (Remake not remaster/rerelease/HDifying)
No. At least. I was under the impression it was a new reboot. Still. A reboot won't hurt the series since it has gone on for so long an reboot would actually help fix the lore issues and stuff it gained over the years.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Well the 3rd wave of DLC is certainly interesting considering there was no new characters added only stages & Mii costumes.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It looks more and more like they'll be picking every last remaining character from the ballot. This should be an exciting time for us. No characters at this point is a GOOD sign. It means the fix isn't in.

Infimus

Smash Apprentice

Am I the only one that thinks that we are gonna get ballot characters before October? By now they must have a pretty good idea of what characters are the most wanted, it would be foolish to start development in the exact same day of the deadline.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice

Am I the only one that thinks that we are gonna get ballot characters before October? By now they must have a pretty good idea of what characters are the most wanted, it would be foolish to start development in the exact same day of the deadline.
Yeah, they might as well just end the ballot now and give us more faved chars.

Also, that pic there is giving me an idea: Maybe Sakurai could make a Ridley costume for Mii Fighters? I'd find it funny (especially since I've already given up on Ridley for Smash 4 DLC, and I would like to see some fant*rds give off some funny reactions).

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Which means that Krystal and K Rool might not even need the ballot to be DLC

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
I always find it a bit funny when I hear Miyamoto talking about F-zero. He clearly has a 100% attitude that if a game doesn't have something completely new, whether it's a dumb gimmick or something actually new, then it's not worth doing.
I can understand the want to create something new, rather than rehash the same thing over and over again, but I think there can be some exceptions... I mean nobody is praising smash bros for being 100% new and different from the older ones. F-Zero is a racing game, there really isn't much to innovate with "be first to cross the finish line" concept. Sure some things can be changed or added, but not that much. Mario Kart games have stayed the same with minor tweaks here and there, but people still enjoy every single one of them without the needs of gimmicks or "revolutionary" changes. F-zero could just come as it was on GC with some small changes and have a new story mode that could tell an interesting story. And of course have an online mode, obviously. But of course if Miyamoto gets his way, this will never happen.
Right now He is messing with a dual screen mechanic for Star Fox, which will most likely be just a gimmick that nobody will be missing after SF Zero. I just hope Miyamoto has had his fun with Star Fox after Zero and someone else gets interested in making one, that hopefully would take place in the "old" timeline (or what ever you wanna call it). Or at least would bring back beloved characters... (I like panther too, don't judge me :c)
Krystal getting into smash would be a such big relief for me, it would give me hope that she could appear again in the SF series. Wolf being removed does have me a little worried though... It just feels so frustrating to wait for a such along time... I know I'll be very bitter in the end if Krystals not going to get in :/.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty bummed out that Krystal didn't show up in SFZ......

....but am I the only one MORE upset by the fact that Pigma DID?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
F-Zero is a wonderful franchise, with FZX being the best by far. Personally i think the GC version only flopped because they took out a lot of the mechanics we came to love in the N64 one and the stages were kinda standardized.
If they remade F-Zero X in HD and only added online play, i would buy that in a heartbeat and play the hell out of it lol.

Starfox series i feel just always gets the short end of the stick. Starfox64 was good, but thats about it. Adventures, Assault, and Command all felt like they got their budget cut midway through production but still expected the game to release. They could have easily ran with a game mixture of Assault and Adventure and make an amazing game but they wont give it enough fundings to do so. If they did an open-world Assault-like Starfox game where you could change your character, explore worlds, partake in epic battles with whatever random race they cook up this time, and actually try to write a non-cheesy story/dialog it would be amazing.
And before anyone asks, i find Assault to be short on fundings because the controls are hella wonky on foot and its almost all the same exact thing regardless of the level design. Hell one of the last level is literally a repeat of itself to make it larger lol.

Even SFZ looks to me like its got the same trend of being shoehorned. The Arwing's transformation thing i seriously hope is a beta thing because right now it totally doesnt look right. The actual model i mean, the idea makes sense.

Last edited:

Infimus

Smash Apprentice

Look on the bright side, Zero is not canon so what happened to Pigma in Assault still is, and I've gotta say that's a very disturbing way to die.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

No, they set a deadline and they should stick to it, this applies for any other kind of vote. That's like picking a president months in advance just because they're ahead at the time. Obviously this isn't that big but you get my point.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Seriously Miyamoto, we don't get a beloved character like Krystal in a new Star Fox game, BUT WE GET ****ING PIGMA, character that very few people in the fanbase (except the very vocal SF64 elitist minority) care about. And FYI, the on-rails shooter is a dying genre, it's been for years, Miyamoto should know that Star Fox can't possibly survive as an on-rails shooter with a very barebones storyline and cheesy dialouge forever

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Still betting on Krystal flat out not being in Zero and she'll be back in a future StarFox title, but maybe if she were a character you could purchase to play as her instead of Fox, that would be awesome.

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
No, they set a deadline and they should stick to it, this applies for any other kind of vote. That's like picking a president months in advance just because they're ahead at the time. Obviously this isn't that big but you get my point.
The difference is, that unlike a presidential election, there is more than one winner. If the winner has a huge advantage against others, there is nothing wrong to start developing the character, then wait more time to develop others, it's not like they could predict how many people are still going to vote. That is, of course, if the winner is chose by the amount of votes which as I said before, i think is unlikely.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

I'm not a big Pigma fan, but I consider him a god tier villain. He's always good for a laugh with his cocky lines, and best yet, tries to get into Fox's head at every opportunity by reminding him he was responsible for his father's death. Now that I think about it, Pigma may be the closest thing to an actual villain that Star Wolf has. Sorry, I don't see Wolf in the same vein. He's more of a Vegeta than a Frieza to me.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
But what difference would that make for the ballot other than chars getting in later? Who the f*cks gonna vote this late in the game if they haven't done so already? No Smash fan would take months to find out about the ballot.

Seriously Miyamoto, we don't get a beloved character like Krystal in a new Star Fox game, BUT WE GET ****ING PIGMA, character that very few people in the fanbase (except the very vocal SF64 elitist minority) care about. And FYI, the on-rails shooter is a dying genre, it's been for years, Miyamoto should know that Star Fox can't possibly survive as an on-rails shooter with a very barebones storyline and cheesy dialouge forever
But at least if Zero flops and Krystal ain't in it, many of her haters would stop using her as a scapegoat and realize that Ninty and Miyamoto ain't the gods those Nintendrones view them as.

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a big Pigma fan, but I consider him a god tier villain. He's always good for a laugh with his cocky lines, and best yet, tries to get into Fox's head at every opportunity by reminding him he was responsible for his father's death. Now that I think about it, Pigma may be the closest thing to an actual villain that Star Wolf has. Sorry, I don't see Wolf in the same vein. He's more of a Vegeta than a Frieza to me.
Personally, I see Pigma like Porky Minch from the Mother series, you absolutely hate both of them for being the responsible of the terrible things that happened to their series' protagonists and how obnoxious their personalities are, and because of that, you, the player, becomes more motivated to destroy them. We may hate them but they are necessary.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I also dont get why Pigma is in SFZ considering he kinda got fused into a machine in Assault lol.
Guess it just fuel for the reboot theory. Which makes me wonder if they'll take it as a chance to reintroduce Krystal and thats why we didnt see her yet. Introduce her as a proper character and not a stereotypical damsel in distress.

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
I also dont get why Pigma is in SFZ considering he kinda got fused into a machine in Assault lol.
Guess it just fuel for the reboot theory. Which makes me wonder if they'll take it as a chance to reintroduce Krystal and thats why we didnt see her yet. Introduce her as a proper character and not a stereotypical damsel in distress.
It was already confirmed that Zero is a reimagining of 64 not a reboot, the reason why he is there is that he was alive during the events of 64 nothing more than that.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The difference is, that unlike a presidential election, there is more than one winner. If the winner has a huge advantage against others, there is nothing wrong to start developing the character, then wait more time to develop others, it's not like they could predict how many people are still going to vote. That is, of course, if the winner is chose by the amount of votes which as I said before, i think is unlikely.
But they'd presumably want to develop the character who actually won first, things could easily change and we have no idea how close the votes are

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
A retelling of Adventures? I like it, but knowing Miyamoto's penchant for the outdated, cliché, and archaic damsel in distress storyline, it probably will be the same, oh and Zero is another freaking retelling of the Lylat Wars

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Personally, I see Pigma like Porky Minch from the Mother series, you absolutely hate both of them for being the responsible of the terrible things that happened to their series' protagonists and how obnoxious their personalities are, and because of that, you, the player, becomes more motivated to destroy them. We may hate them but they are necessary.
Porky is an asshole but you see his slow descent into villainy and you kind of feel bad for the kid. Pigma is just an asshole but you get to shoot him in Star Fox Zero so there's that.
A retelling of Adventures? I like it, but knowing Miyamoto's penchant for the outdated, cliché, and archaic damsel in distress storyline, it probably will be the same, oh and Zero is another freaking retelling of the Lylat Wars
Most stories in video games follow a base type of story that's been set before. Actually, literally most stories follow a base type of story that's been written before.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Porky is an ******* but you see his slow descent into villainy and you kind of feel bad for the kid. Pigma is just an ******* but you get to shoot him in Star Fox Zero so there's that.

Most stories in video games follow a base type of story that's been set before. Actually, literally most stories follow a base type of story that's been written before.
But the damsel in distress storyline is by far the most overdone, you are right about that well except for MGS2 anyhow, that story was one of the most convoluted and confusing stories I have ever seen, I should know, I suffered through Terminator Salvation for pete's sakes

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
But the damsel in distress storyline is by far the most overdone, you are right about that well except for MGS2 anyhow, that story was one of the most convoluted and confusing stories I have ever seen, I should know, I suffered through Terminator Salvation for pete's sakes
Metal Gear has a convulted storyline anyway.

I liked Terminator Salvation...

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Hm. I guess I stopped getting notifications for here, for some reason.

I guess the lack of a character reveal doesn't help or hurt us for now.

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
But they'd presumably want to develop the character who actually won first, things could easily change and we have no idea how close the votes are
Remember that we aren't voting for someone to win, we are only suggesting characters and then Sakurai, or who ever, decides who gets added. They have said that every vote is taken to consideration.
I know the most logical thing to do would be to make all the characters with the most votes as playable, but nintendo has stated many times that they aren't necessarily interested in making "all the money", like many other businesses are doing.
Of course they still could choose one or two characters to do early before the ballot ends, but I think they necessarily won't do that if they're only going to add a really small amount of characters from the ballot. But who knows, we just have to wait and see...

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Porky is an ******* but you see his slow descent into villainy and you kind of feel bad for the kid. Pigma is just an ******* but you get to shoot him in Star Fox Zero so there's that.

True. After all, Pigma may be a character everyone hates. But he is integral to the story and even though he at times like to remind Fox that he was responsible for James McCloud ' s death, wouldn't it be Peppy's choice to shoot him down as a personal score? This actually reminds me in the 2011 Thundercats series where Grune betrayed Panthro, Lion-O, and his father Claudus(which Grune was responsible for Claudus's death).

Anyway for Krystal now, at least this puts her in a better position for DLC candidate to be playable after the whole King K. Rool Mii fighter costume fiasco(feel bad and sorry for the DK fans on this). So I have a feeling that she still has a great chance to be in the game. Even if she doesn't show up in Zero, I'm sure she'll be in future entries in the Starfox series. She's a popular character from the series after all not to mention the huge amount of support she has been getting in the Miiverse as well.

Regarding about Zero, since the game is basically a reimagining, I'll bet Nintendo will pull off a Zelda here and that the Starfox series has several timelines. What do you guys think? Anyway, I'm sure we'll hear more on Starfox Zero anytime soon.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
True. After all, Pigma may be a character everyone hates. But he is integral to the story and even though he at times like to remind Fox that he was responsible for James McCloud ' s death, wouldn't it be Peppy's choice to shoot him down as a personal score? This actually reminds me in the 2011 Thundercats series where Grune betrayed Panthro, Lion-O, and his father Claudus(which Grune was responsible for Claudus's death).

Anyway for Krystal now, at least this puts her in a better position for DLC candidate to be playable after the whole King K. Rool Mii fighter costume fiasco(feel bad and sorry for the DK fans on this). So I have a feeling that she still has a great chance to be in the game. Even if she doesn't show up in Zero, I'm sure she'll be in future entries in the Starfox series. She's a popular character from the series after all not to mention the huge amount of support she has been getting in the Miiverse as well.

Regarding about Zero, since the game is basically a reimagining, I'll bet Nintendo will pull off a Zelda here and that the Starfox series has several timelines. What do you guys think? Anyway, I'm sure we'll hear more on Starfox Zero anytime soon.

Being a Mii costume doesn't mean you won't be a playable fighter in Smash, to prove that, there are Mii costumes of Link, Samus, Meta Knight. But I proposed that theory about different timelines before, but there is one problem with that, the games barely have any story at all in the first place, again all we know is about the original Star Fox team, the Lylat Wars, Sauria, the Aparoids, and the Anglars, Lylat is just full of lore and stories to be told, but no, we get the same generic "Andross" plot again

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Being a Mii costume doesn't mean you won't be a playable fighter in Smash, to prove that, there are Mii costumes of Link, Samus, Meta Knight. But I proposed that theory about different timelines before, but there is one problem with that, the games barely have any story at all in the first place, again all we know is about the original Star Fox team, the Lylat Wars, Sauria, the Aparoids, and the Anglars, Lylat is just full of lore and stories to be told, but no, we get the same generic "Andross" plot again
Well if Nintendo does try to make a good deep story in a game (and without help from 2nd- or 3rd-party developers), would they succeed, or would it be utter sh*t? I doubt that they can make a good story to save their lives.

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Well if Nintendo does try to make a good deep story in a game (and without help from 2nd- or 3rd-party developers), would they succeed, or would it be utter sh*t? I doubt that they can make a good story to save their lives.
I think they probably could write a great story for a game if they were given the chance. Except don't let Sakamoto to write anything...

Edit: Kid Icarus Uprising for an example had a fantastic story. Sure the premise wasn't anything special, but the characters were fantastic!

Last edited:

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Sakamoto thinks he made Samus a strong, independent woman in Other M. Just make him go away.
Yeah... And he also blamed that the reason the game didn't sell well was because of a "strong female protagonist"... He's clearly badly narcissistic and cannot take criticism at all...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sakamoto thinks he made Samus a strong, independent woman in Other M. Just make him go away.
Samus was strong enough in the other games, Sakamoto is a narcissitic fool
We will never know unless they try
I think they probably could write a great story for a game if they were given the chance. Except don't let Sakamoto to write anything...

Edit: Kid Icarus Uprising for an example had a fantastic story. Sure the premise wasn't anything special, but the characters were fantastic!
So did most of the Paper Mario games, and Metroid Prime,

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Wait did he actually say that? WTF? They honestly need to keep metroid far, far away from him. Actually just far away from anyone that isn't Retro studios or maybe next level games

Last edited:
Top Bottom