• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sort of a rush down poker styled fighter?
^^^ This exactly. Not SUPER rush down like Mario/Falcon levels aggression, but more like a slightly above average mobility with the range to skirt around the edge of the opponent's range to try and get those initial hits in. Spacing/footsies character with medium range, good landing aerials, and options to play around on a shield. That's what I think of personally, with the drawback of having a hard time resetting to neutral; neutral is obviously strong with mid range poke options, but once hit, has a hard time landing/escaping pressure with a blind spot beneath her and probably also at an angle above her to keep balance.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Most of the newcomers have gimmicks, but not every single one of them does. I really don't see what's gimmicky about Greninja, Palutena (you could argue that she has a large array of attacks though customs), Duck Hunt Dog (okay, he has projectiles that may be unconventional but he's nothing absolutely new) and some others.

Robin has a gimmick, Rosalina has a gimmick, Villager has a gimmick (and it's only one move !), Megaman has a gimmick, but not every single newcomer does. I don't think Krystal needs one, nor do I think that they will spend that much time on DLC characters.

But if she needed a gimmick, plenty of people have mentioned a magic meter which could come in various forms. Personally I would have one exactly like in Starfox Adventures. She starts with it filled, but as she uses her specials, the meter decreases and she either has to wait for it to refill, or successfully hit her opponents.

I think this would make her an extremely unique character, and a very technical one too. You would have to use her attacks sparingly, because recovering would also use some of her magiv gauge. However it would counterbalance her range and her speed. I see her as a fast and ranged fighter who would have trouble killing her opponents.

EDIT : Or she could have a specific attack which would refill her gauge and make her unable to move for a while, or shielding could be how she can refill it (special shield when you press R with Fox in Starfox Adventure, I always liked that move).

There are just so many things you could do with this character, it's a travesty that she hasn't been playable yet tbh.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0GQCVjLzs#t=211

OH MY GAWSH. HE SUPPORTS TWO CHARACTERS THAT I WANT IN!

What's more, is that his #1 pick is the VERY SAME NUMBER 1 CHARACTER THAT I WANT!

I really hope this helps out both those characters.
Nice we have the best smash 4 player supporting krystal, this should help out alot. (tho i can already see the hate coming forth from the comments, but that video should sway some votes)

Keep on the support people!

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm just saying its a possibility. She has more potential than just her staff. Also it seems that the characters now needs a gimmick or a unique trait. Little Mac KO punch, Rosalina's luma, Bowser Jr.s clown copter defense, Shulk's Mondo arts change, etc....

What makes Krystal unique?
I liked my storable staff power gimmick, but of course I would since I came up with it.

Basically, her neutral B can be rapid fired or stored. If it's stored, the staff blinks or glows like when Samus stores a charged shot. Now, Krystal can either press B again to unleash a powerful charged projectile, or she can save the stored charge and her next smash, including Robin-esque aerial smashes, could gain a special effect. So with a charged staff Krystal can give these following moves a special effect... fsmash, dsmash, usmash, fair, bair, dair, uair. For convenience, I'll call the charged staff a "primed staff".

I'll describe my standard attack ideas since we're doing that now I guess. It will also help people visualize how the gimmick works.

Jab - Taken from Adventures, it's a modification on Fox's staff combo when you hold the control stick down. The Adventure's combo is a staff attack swinging from top right to bottom left, then an upswing going back from bottom left to back and to the right, then Fox spins the staff in front of him moving it from right to left and back, then he makes a sharp horizontal swing from left to right and if you hold the attack button her charges up his staff. The plan with Krystal is to have the final hit of her jab be the horizontal swing but let it happen before the charge. She'll be able to charge the staff much like Fox does in Adventures and it'll be a quicker alternative to her neutral B charge. This will put her staff into a "primed" mode ready to be used by pressing neutral B for powerful projectile or to be used with a smash. Since this one is complicated, I'll link a video example... https://youtu.be/bqmpRI9XeMM?t=25m44s

One minute prior to that fight scene in the video you can hear Krystal's description of the staff and the fact that it has the power to teach Fox it's abilities. This further emphasizes that what Fox does with the staff are likely things Krystal could too.

Now for the rest of the moves....

Dash Attack - A running roundoff into a slide. It resembles her dodge in Assault and I imagine it resembling her forward roll in Smash. Could be a bit confusing to the opponent looking the same as the roll, but instead having a hitbox on her legs as she flips and on her body when she lands. It's a slower dash with longer range moving her forward. Think Zamus's dash attack and how it shoots forward and the brunt of the hit is at the end.

Ftilt - Krystal pulls the staff from the holster on her back quickly and swings the staff forward in a vertical arch while leaning forward on one foot. This is a quick ftilt with great range and low knockback. A great poking tool, even if it's a swing, heh.

Utilt - Krystal claw swipes above her head quickly and and follows up with a flexible kick swinging up similar to Sheik's utilt as I recall. Lowish knockback and can combo at low percents. The time between the two strikes is very minimal.

Dtilt - a crouched spin that hits with her tail and her staff in front of her. Like Fox and Falco's dtilt except she gets a second stronger hit with the staff immediately after her tail hit. Isn't as useful as a combo attack being more powerful but it gives her some space similar to Ganon's dtilt thanks to her staff.

Fsmash - Krystal uses a double strike smash similar to Link's. She first stabs her staff into the ground diagonally in front of her. She can then pause before inputting the second part of the smash, which is a vaulted flying kick. She uses her staff as a pole vault to launch herself into her kick. The second attack is the powerfule attack while the first strike is a weak attack that pops the enemy up into the kicks sweet spot. If you miss with the first strike, the second strike can be ducked under by some characters. She moves forward similar to Fox with this move.

Fsmash Prime - Same as her usual Fsmash but the first strike cause paralysis similar to Zamus's gun. This allows her to cancel the second hit and run in for a grab or other follow up.

Usmash - Krystal slams her staff down on it's end and stabs it upwards. The effect is similar to Shulk's usmash, with the slam down catching opponents and the stab up launching them.

Usmash Prime - The stab up has an added ice effect that can freeze opponent in a block of ice at mid to high damages. The more damage the longer they stay frozen. This allows you to follow up hit them in midair after they get frozen.

Dsmash - Krystal raises her staff up and slams it down hard creating a quake. It's launch power isn't huge but it attacks on either side of Krystal simultaneously for good damage. It's a slow attack even uncharged though with more cool down than the other smashes.

Dsmash Prime - Same as her regular dsmash except opponents inside her hurtbox during the move get buried. The cool down is a bit less too, allowing her to follow up. The range of the move is slightly increased on both side of her and the sourspot hits do the same thing as the regular Dsmash.

Nair - Krystal jumps and tucks her legs up tight and pulls her staff in front of her torso horizontally and spins. Similar effect as Zelda's nair. Krystal's tail and folded knees are low sour spot hitboxes that pull the opponent in and up into her more damaging a ranged staff hitbox.

Fair - Krystal jumps and spins forward in a tightly tucked somersault with the staff in it's holster on her back, but extended. This move imparts momentum in the direction it's used. It's her slowest aerial too with significant landing lag. Her spin ends with her pulling the staff from her back and breaking her spin by punching the staff in front of her and opening her body. Her tail, front of her body, and head are sour spot hitboxes that drag into the staff hitbox during the spin. Her spin is similarly as fast as Wolf's nair. If the opponent was trapped in the staff's hitbox, when the spin ends they'll be launched diagonally up at the end of the move. If she spaces it right and hits opponents with the strong end hitbox without trapping them in the spin, she can semi-spike opponents that get under her.

Fair Prime - Same as regular fair except the staff does electrical damage and has a strong semi-spike on it's final hit.

Bair - Krystal swings her left leg back in a move much like the rest of her Star Fox comrades, but follows immediately with a sharp staff swing behind her. Even though it's a two hit move it's pretty fast. The kick is a sex kick that lingers and can knock into the staff hit. The way it looks is Krystal kicks her left leg back and at the same time reaches over her right shoulder to grab the holstered staff and swings the staff as she turns her head and body left in the direction her leg just kicked.

Bair Prime - Same as regular bair but the staff shoots a couple blaster shots quickly similar to Villagers bair. This gives it range. Hitting with the staff allows the opponent to be combo'd into the blaster shots and get pushed out further. It's a tad slower as a result though.

Uair - Krystal spins her staff above her head very similar to a Pit move. Not much else to say here. Obviously I could think of something more unique, but this gives her a juggling tool that's protects her hurtbox from above fairly well. It's a quick move.

Uair Prime - Same as uair but this one has a windbox that extends above and beside Krystal, pushing opponents away. A great gimp tool against bad recoveries or to keep opponents above you like with Game and Watch's uair. Maybe it could even gain Mega Man uair effects in prime mode.

Dair - Krystal stabs her staff down and a blast of rocket boost fires off. Has stalling effects like ROB's dair. Strong spike.

Dair Prime - Same as regular Dair but the hitbox lingers and actually pushes Krystal up a good amount. The staff can be primed with this move in mind and dair can be used in concert with her up B giving her an awesome recovery boost!

Anyways, those are all the basics. I'm not gonna get into grabs, throws, getup attacks and the like and I already spoke briefly about specials. Some of these I'm really keen on and other I'm not totally sold on my own idea yet. I do like most of them though.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
@ jahkzheng jahkzheng Wow, that is a really impressive move list! I love everything about it! Would you mind me sharing this to GameFaqs in order to gain more support for Krystal's inclusion?

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I actually deleted my account on GameFaqs because of that. Not to mention as soon as you say Krystal, they'll swarm you and call you a "furry ***". It actually hurts.
It hasn't happened to me let. And I don't care whether people call me a ****** or not. Like, why are you calling me something I already know I am?

Last edited by a moderator:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I actually deleted my account on GameFaqs because of that. Not to mention as soon as you say Krystal, they'll swarm you and call you a "furry ***". It actually hurts.
I know, don't even bother with GameFags (sorry about the language), post it on Miiverse or Smashboards, where at least you won't get swarmed by idiots

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
^^^ This exactly. Not SUPER rush down like Mario/Falcon levels aggression, but more like a slightly above average mobility with the range to skirt around the edge of the opponent's range to try and get those initial hits in. Spacing/footsies character with medium range, good landing aerials, and options to play around on a shield. That's what I think of personally, with the drawback of having a hard time resetting to neutral; neutral is obviously strong with mid range poke options, but once hit, has a hard time landing/escaping pressure with a blind spot beneath her and probably also at an angle above her to keep balance.
When I think about how Krystal might play in terms of feel... well, I'm not sure. My ideas for her are unique enough that she wont exactly feel like anyone, but I guess if I was too think of a character or two... she'll play more like Falco than Fox of the spacies, but will probably have more in common with Pit in terms of range and variability maybe. And if she has the staff charge I described in my last post, she'd have a gimmick that played like Robin's but would require a charge like a Samus or Lucario.

I've also felt she should jump somewhere between Fox and Falco's height and fall slower than Fox but not really slow, just average fall speed. Also, she should run about as fast as Palutena, so just outside the top 10 or 15 faster characters. Her fast walk should be her Adventures "leisure jog", heh. Air mobility should be average too but with slower fall speed feel better than Fox's. Her weight should be about Fox's, I don't want her too ridiculously light though. Her character height should be slightly taller than Fox's but maybe not quite Peach's. We want her to look like she fits in with the other spacies though, so her proportions will probably be scaled a bit so that her head is relatively larger compared to her body than it is in Assault but not nearly as ridiculous as her proportions were in Command.

Seriously, I am sick of the Goku supporterw, if we get Goku and not Krystal, I will be MAD!!!
Goku only has slightly more of a chance than Shrek, lol. Those are wasted votes. I wouldn't be too worried.

@ jahkzheng jahkzheng Wow, that is a really impressive move list! I love everything about it! Would you mind me sharing this to GameFaqs in order to gain more support for Krystal's inclusion?
Feel free if you like, although Ian has a point. Gamefaqs is kind of more hateful toward Krystal. I think a lot of it's bandwagoning though. Maybe some people will be convinced she could be interesting with my moveset, which would be really flattering, but I won't hold my breath. I doubt they've never seen an interesting Krystal moveset idea over there anyways.

This is the same moveset I've been mentioning maybe drawing up and making little gifs for when I get more time to do such things. Would be fun to try and make it visible through more than just words. The gimmick is one of my favorite ideas for a unique moveset, I have to admit.

For every two of those types of people, there's usually one supporter though. The vast majority of people there aren't insulting or supportive. They're just like, "i don't care". It's not all hopeless in other words.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Hold on, everyone. Maybe we're approaching this the wrong way. A game mod or animations could help, but there are also a lot of different ways they could go wrong. If we focus on one specific moveset, we could lose interest from people who had a different moveset in mind. If the animations aren't spot on, we run the risk of plunging into the uncanny valley.
The biggest reason I thought of having a showcase mod/animation is because there are a lot of people who are very visual and have a hard time picturing or tying concepts together in their heads without having some sore of a reference to look at. Not to mention those who are very invested in the TL;DR philosophy and who might lose interest in having to read several different large posts about varying potential movesets.
Especially if we're trying to gain support from people who have never played SFA and have never really seen or gotten a real feel for what the staff in that game can do and what it could bring to Smash Bros.
I think that making a video showcasing a possible moveset for her would be more beneficial than hurtful- after all, it's only a theoretical moveset for her and the real purpose of it is to show Krystal in action and to pique the interest of people who otherwise have no opinion of her/dislike her. It's not like we'd be saying this is the only moveset she can have and if you don't like it, tough toenails.

I picture it as more of a refined version of something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWlw4rXR_vY
where someone has tried to piece together a visual concept for Krystal's moveset using clips from games to show off their ideas.

In the end I think both tactics are valid and hold merit to our cause, I don't think we should throw the idea of an animated video away just yet- but perhaps starting small could be better as well maybe creating just several illustrations showing off a few potential moves and posting them around.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I got bored... again...
This took me a bit more time than you'd think, because I had to go back-and-fourth and get ALL THE CHARACTERS and put them in individually. Anyways, this is what the roster would look like, should what I speculated become true. It fits rather well, huh?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The biggest reason I thought of having a showcase mod/animation is because there are a lot of people who are very visual and have a hard time picturing or tying concepts together in their heads without having some sore of a reference to look at. Not to mention those who are very invested in the TL;DR philosophy and who might lose interest in having to read several different large posts about varying potential movesets.
Especially if we're trying to gain support from people who have never played SFA and have never really seen or gotten a real feel for what the staff in that game can do and what it could bring to Smash Bros.
I think that making a video showcasing a possible moveset for her would be more beneficial than hurtful- after all, it's only a theoretical moveset for her and the real purpose of it is to show Krystal in action and to pique the interest of people who otherwise have no opinion of her/dislike her. It's not like we'd be saying this is the only moveset she can have and if you don't like it, tough toenails.

I picture it as more of a refined version of something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWlw4rXR_vY
where someone has tried to piece together a visual concept for Krystal's moveset using clips from games to show off their ideas.

In the end I think both tactics are valid and hold merit to our cause, I don't think we should throw the idea of an animated video away just yet- but perhaps starting small could be better as well maybe creating just several illustrations showing off a few potential moves and posting them around.
You have a point. Eventually it'd help to also have some animations, if we had the means to make really quality ones. Maybe if we could recruit someone who did work on a Brawl mod...

But in the meantime, we can also go forward with the illustrations. Here's what I had in mind:
It's low quality (because I still barely know my way around Paint.net >_>), but as an example, it gets the point across. It'd work a little like the Slide Guides in Fire Emblem Awakening, pairing information with an image that illustrates it. For example, let's say we did one for Krystal's overall moveset and the weapons she could use. The first part could explain how her staff is the most obvious choice (with a drawing of her wielding it, in the midst of an attack), the second could bring up a couple weapons from Assault (with a drawing of her using one or more of them), and the third could mention the idea of her combining aspects of both (with, say, one hand holding a blaster and the other reaching for her staff, which is holstered to her back). We could have one that focuses on Fire Blast specifically, one for Ice Blast, one for Ground Quake, one for her appearance, one for possible Final Smashes, et cetera. We could give anyone who sees them all the means to imagine what she'd look and play like for themselves. And we could always add or take away parts if necessary!

...Well, whoever does the final versions could. Preferably someone with significantly more graphic design skill. >_>

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
So, I have no idea if this has been covered, but here's what my thoughts are. So on the official Smash Bros page, go to any character's page and scroll down to the bottom where you can pick any character on the slider. If you scroll to the very right, you'll see Pac-Man, the Mii Fighters, the Secret Fighters page, and now Mewtwo. Next to Mewtwo, there are five blank slots.

One of them will be Lucas, obviously, so that leaves four left. Now let's look at this past Nintendo Direct. Mewtwo's release is in the month of April, and Lucas's reveal is in the month of April as well. Fast-Foward to June where E3 is. Nintendo will more-than-likely open up like they did the Direct, with a Smash Bros trailer. We'll probably see a second trailer for Lucas as well as the release date for him. They'll pull another "But wait, there's more!" and show off the trailer for the next DLC, being Wolf, who is used as hype for the next Star Fox and a bridge for their next topic, being the game. Let's go with the 'Two-Months-Later' theory and say he'll be released in August. Now, that's 3/6 of the slots on the slider.

Wolf gets released, and we're shown the next DLC fighter. We'll go with King K. Rool, whose pretty likely at this point. Following the 'Two-Months-Later' theory, he'll be released in October, the same month the poll ends. This leaves us with 4/6 of the slots on the slider. When King K. Rool is released, they'll cut off the ballots because they've already chosen the final DLC character to be released, again, two months later in December. We'll just say it's Isaac, because he's also pretty likely. Now we've gotten 5/6 and the ballots are closed.

So who's the sixth? I'd guess that when they reveal Wolf, they'll ALSO reveal Krystal, who will ALSO come out in August. Wolf's reveal would be the end of the Veteran DLC fighters, Krystal's reveal would be the start of the Newcomer DLC fighters. Again, this is all a theory, but I'd say it makes sense.
You know, now that I have been seeing this in the official Smash page, this could very well happen and you bring up some interesting points. It might be that they may have been planning this all along. We'll have to find out about this. But with 5 empty slots there(make it 4 since we know Lucas is going to be there next to Mewtwo), it's extremely likely that Wolf is the next character in the list to complete the veterans for DLC and everything from here on out after the ballot which ends on October 3, 2015, that is where we start seeing the newcomers for DLC that are going to be from the ballot. Even as we speak, it's very likely that Wolf(really good chance to be back if they brought Lucas back and because when Nintendo reveals Starfox Wii U at E3 2015 as one of their major titles coming out this year which also increases Krystal's chances to be playable in Smash 4 because not only is she a popular character from the series, but because of the new game coming up which I have a feeling that she'll be back in it) is in the works now since he was a fighter in Brawl and they can use the data from him from Brawl and implement it easily into Smash 4 like how they have been doing it with Lucas and Mewtwo. As for the newcomers, those have to be started off from scratch because these are characters who have not appeared as playable chararcters in a Smash game until now. Right now, the most highly requested characters for newcomers are like how you showed it there and I agree. It's really good that Krystal, K. Rool and Isaac are 3 of the newcomers that are popular choices to work in a Smash game especially from the Japanese audience and us Westerners as well who want to see them to be playable and take their time in the spotlight. Let's continue our support to them and spread it to everyone out there.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
You have a point. Eventually it'd help to also have some animations, if we had the means to make really quality ones. Maybe if we could recruit someone who did work on a Brawl mod...

But in the meantime, we can also go forward with the illustrations. Here's what I had in mind:
It's low quality (because I still barely know my way around Paint.net >_>), but as an example, it gets the point across. It'd work a little like the Slide Guides in Fire Emblem Awakening, pairing information with an image that illustrates it. For example, let's say we did one for Krystal's overall moveset and the weapons she could use. The first part could explain how her staff is the most obvious choice (with a drawing of her wielding it, in the midst of an attack), the second could bring up a couple weapons from Assault (with a drawing of her using one or more of them), and the third could mention the idea of her combining aspects of both (with, say, one hand holding a blaster and the other reaching for her staff, which is holstered to her back). We could have one that focuses on Fire Blast specifically, one for Ice Blast, one for Ground Quake, one for her appearance, one for possible Final Smashes, et cetera. We could give anyone who sees them all the means to imagine what she'd look and play like for themselves. And we could always add or take away parts if necessary!

...Well, whoever does the final versions could. Preferably someone with significantly more graphic design skill. >_>
I thought if I did that thing I've mentioned a few times where I'd try and draw up Krystal's moves into little animations... I'd use the Zelda board's guide for Smash 4 as a reference...

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-great-fairy-fountain-ii-zelda-data-research.370698/

It's chock full of gifs and frame data. Really is one of the more impressive guides on the board for a Smash Wii U character. It's mainly the gifs I'd reference though. I don't plan on making specific data ideas. This all assuming I'd even get to this idea of mine. It's an undertaking and I don't have time for it atm, but I do want to give it a try when I do.

Of course, if we get our hands on a model that someone can animate we could make it look even more like these Zelda gifs. Like actual gameplay. That's some tough stuff though. It's one thing to add bones and make a model take a stroll, it's a whole other thing to make them jump and kick and do acrobatics without making it look awkward. These are complex movements.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I tried looking at some gameplay footage of Adventures for inspiration on Krystal's basic attacks but Fox's animations haven't stood the test of time. Fox's animation is floatier than Jigglypuff. He literally hovers in the air during about half of his combos. I'm thinking we should look to Kilik from Soul Calibur for inspiration, maybe some of the Naginata users. Namco is on board any they are infamously cool with their franchises spilling out all over the place. Pac-Man is more the Namco universe than the Pac-Man universe

Foxy Renegade

Smash Cadet
So, the marketing plan here is to create gifs and animations of movesets and then attempt to advertise those to raise interest for Krystal. I don't have any of the abilities to create such things or I would assist you with your efforts. Now, if someone could create a well-made fake trailer using the rig that was posted earlier from the Krystal Archive that would probably skyrocket awareness. Maybe even achieve news articles from some popular websites.

I want to say we can treat Krystal the same as K. Rool, but I don't know that we can. K. Rool has much more support without the incessant hate-base. Meaning they are able to get away spamming the character all over forums garnering support. Every time Krystal is posted I just see criticism. I'm for the movesets, gifs, and hashtags, but I feel like there needs to be something that would create a reason to believe she is in. Such things would be official tweets, fake trailers that make her look real and so on. As I said earlier, I don't have the talents so we're bound by what the community is capable of. Godspeed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If I focus on where my strengths lie, I could try scripting a trailer.

Does anyone know if you can get the sound clips from Assualt on their own? I was thinking we could get some of Krystal's dialogue to go with a trailer. Unless we wanna rip the Saurian dialogue from Adventures and pretend she's saying whatever we want in subtitles.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I tried looking at some gameplay footage of Adventures for inspiration on Krystal's basic attacks but Fox's animations haven't stood the test of time. Fox's animation is floatier than Jigglypuff. He literally hovers in the air during about half of his combos. I'm thinking we should look to Kilik from Soul Calibur for inspiration, maybe some of the Naginata users. Namco is on board any they are infamously cool with their franchises spilling out all over the place. Pac-Man is more the Namco universe than the Pac-Man universe
Wouldn't be too hard to just speed up those moves. It would be like the opposite of what Brawl did to Melee, heh. Whatever you see could probably be amended to fit Smash better.

Earlier in the thread a had a descriptive moveset idea and I utilized a staff combo in Adventures for the basis of Krystal's jab. That said, I didn't borrow specifically from Adventures for much else, other than "elemental effects". You can have a look here if you like...
I liked my storable staff power gimmick, but of course I would since I came up with it.

Basically, her neutral B can be rapid fired or stored. If it's stored, the staff blinks or glows like when Samus stores a charged shot. Now, Krystal can either press B again to unleash a powerful charged projectile, or she can save the stored charge and her next smash, including Robin-esque aerial smashes, could gain a special effect. So with a charged staff Krystal can give these following moves a special effect... fsmash, dsmash, usmash, fair, bair, dair, uair. For convenience, I'll call the charged staff a "primed staff".

I'll describe my standard attack ideas since we're doing that now I guess. It will also help people visualize how the gimmick works.

Jab - Taken from Adventures, it's a modification on Fox's staff combo when you hold the control stick down. The Adventure's combo is a staff attack swinging from top right to bottom left, then an upswing going back from bottom left to back and to the right, then Fox spins the staff in front of him moving it from right to left and back, then he makes a sharp horizontal swing from left to right and if you hold the attack button her charges up his staff. The plan with Krystal is to have the final hit of her jab be the horizontal swing but let it happen before the charge. She'll be able to charge the staff much like Fox does in Adventures and it'll be a quicker alternative to her neutral B charge. This will put her staff into a "primed" mode ready to be used by pressing neutral B for powerful projectile or to be used with a smash. Since this one is complicated, I'll link a video example... https://youtu.be/bqmpRI9XeMM?t=25m44s

One minute prior to that fight scene in the video you can hear Krystal's description of the staff and the fact that it has the power to teach Fox it's abilities. This further emphasizes that what Fox does with the staff are likely things Krystal could too.

Now for the rest of the moves....

Dash Attack - A running roundoff into a slide. It resembles her dodge in Assault and I imagine it resembling her forward roll in Smash. Could be a bit confusing to the opponent looking the same as the roll, but instead having a hitbox on her legs as she flips and on her body when she lands. It's a slower dash with longer range moving her forward. Think Zamus's dash attack and how it shoots forward and the brunt of the hit is at the end.

Ftilt - Krystal pulls the staff from the holster on her back quickly and swings the staff forward in a vertical arch while leaning forward on one foot. This is a quick ftilt with great range and low knockback. A great poking tool, even if it's a swing, heh.

Utilt - Krystal claw swipes above her head quickly and and follows up with a flexible kick swinging up similar to Sheik's utilt as I recall. Lowish knockback and can combo at low percents. The time between the two strikes is very minimal.

Dtilt - a crouched spin that hits with her tail and her staff in front of her. Like Fox and Falco's dtilt except she gets a second stronger hit with the staff immediately after her tail hit. Isn't as useful as a combo attack being more powerful but it gives her some space similar to Ganon's dtilt thanks to her staff.

Fsmash - Krystal uses a double strike smash similar to Link's. She first stabs her staff into the ground diagonally in front of her. She can then pause before inputting the second part of the smash, which is a vaulted flying kick. She uses her staff as a pole vault to launch herself into her kick. The second attack is the powerfule attack while the first strike is a weak attack that pops the enemy up into the kicks sweet spot. If you miss with the first strike, the second strike can be ducked under by some characters. She moves forward similar to Fox with this move.

Fsmash Prime - Same as her usual Fsmash but the first strike cause paralysis similar to Zamus's gun. This allows her to cancel the second hit and run in for a grab or other follow up.

Usmash - Krystal slams her staff down on it's end and stabs it upwards. The effect is similar to Shulk's usmash, with the slam down catching opponents and the stab up launching them.

Usmash Prime - The stab up has an added ice effect that can freeze opponent in a block of ice at mid to high damages. The more damage the longer they stay frozen. This allows you to follow up hit them in midair after they get frozen.

Dsmash - Krystal raises her staff up and slams it down hard creating a quake. It's launch power isn't huge but it attacks on either side of Krystal simultaneously for good damage. It's a slow attack even uncharged though with more cool down than the other smashes.

Dsmash Prime - Same as her regular dsmash except opponents inside her hurtbox during the move get buried. The cool down is a bit less too, allowing her to follow up. The range of the move is slightly increased on both side of her and the sourspot hits do the same thing as the regular Dsmash.

Nair - Krystal jumps and tucks her legs up tight and pulls her staff in front of her torso horizontally and spins. Similar effect as Zelda's nair. Krystal's tail and folded knees are low sour spot hitboxes that pull the opponent in and up into her more damaging a ranged staff hitbox.

Fair - Krystal jumps and spins forward in a tightly tucked somersault with the staff in it's holster on her back, but extended. This move imparts momentum in the direction it's used. It's her slowest aerial too with significant landing lag. Her spin ends with her pulling the staff from her back and breaking her spin by punching the staff in front of her and opening her body. Her tail, front of her body, and head are sour spot hitboxes that drag into the staff hitbox during the spin. Her spin is similarly as fast as Wolf's nair. If the opponent was trapped in the staff's hitbox, when the spin ends they'll be launched diagonally up at the end of the move. If she spaces it right and hits opponents with the strong end hitbox without trapping them in the spin, she can semi-spike opponents that get under her.

Fair Prime - Same as regular fair except the staff does electrical damage and has a strong semi-spike on it's final hit.

Bair - Krystal swings her left leg back in a move much like the rest of her Star Fox comrades, but follows immediately with a sharp staff swing behind her. Even though it's a two hit move it's pretty fast. The kick is a sex kick that lingers and can knock into the staff hit. The way it looks is Krystal kicks her left leg back and at the same time reaches over her right shoulder to grab the holstered staff and swings the staff as she turns her head and body left in the direction her leg just kicked.

Bair Prime - Same as regular bair but the staff shoots a couple blaster shots quickly similar to Villagers bair. This gives it range. Hitting with the staff allows the opponent to be combo'd into the blaster shots and get pushed out further. It's a tad slower as a result though.

Uair - Krystal spins her staff above her head very similar to a Pit move. Not much else to say here. Obviously I could think of something more unique, but this gives her a juggling tool that's protects her hurtbox from above fairly well. It's a quick move.

Uair Prime - Same as uair but this one has a windbox that extends above and beside Krystal, pushing opponents away. A great gimp tool against bad recoveries or to keep opponents above you like with Game and Watch's uair. Maybe it could even gain Mega Man uair effects in prime mode.

Dair - Krystal stabs her staff down and a blast of rocket boost fires off. Has stalling effects like ROB's dair. Strong spike.

Dair Prime - Same as regular Dair but the hitbox lingers and actually pushes Krystal up a good amount. The staff can be primed with this move in mind and dair can be used in concert with her up B giving her an awesome recovery boost!

Anyways, those are all the basics. I'm not gonna get into grabs, throws, getup attacks and the like and I already spoke briefly about specials. Some of these I'm really keen on and other I'm not totally sold on my own idea yet. I do like most of them though.

Also, just was looking at the character DLC board that this thread sits in and saw some sort of "advertising for you DLC choice" thread, so I wrote a little thing about why Krystal is great. It's here...
Hmm, I see a distinct lack of Krystal in this thread and it's a bit concerning. I voted for her. I'll list some reasons why she's very much a good choice for a vote!

1. Year of the Star Fox! (Star Fox Wii U)

Star Fox Wii U is poised to be the big game of 2015 and it just so happens to coincide with this Smash DLC thing. There's never been a better time for Nintendo to cash in on Star Fox. Miyamoto himself is working on it and even dubbed 2015 "Year of the Star Fox". There's still some question out there about it, but come E3 you know the hype will be real and it'll be time for Star Fox to get some love. In short, Star Fox has the relevancy points in spades.

2. We can have our cake and eat it too... except the cake is Wolf and Krystal is the part where you get to eat it! (Star Fox is underrepresented)

With the cut of Wolf, Star Fox has a scant two reps in Smash. No other franchise, other than DK, is begging for not just one, but two additional reps more than Star Fox. It can happen people. Star Fox is going to be big this year and if any franchise can pull off snagging a vet AND a newcomer, it's Star Fox. If you voted Wolf, I totally understand and I want him back badly too. I also think he must already be in development after the Lucas release. I voted Krystal because I'm optimistic we can have both. I hope Wolf supporters join us under the banner of Star Fox when the old villain gets back in the game.

3. Krystal has a ton of potential for a unique moveset! (Especially with that staff)

Anyone who's played Star Fox Adventures knows that the game featured a unique weapon with many different properties. That weapon was Krystal's staff. When Fox picks it up in Adventures, he gets a messages from Krystal through it informing him that the staff would teach him it's abilities over time. This implies that all the moves Fox learns in the game are inherent to the staff and known to Krystal. This staff is her greatest opportunity for standing out. The staff is a physical weapon as well as a "magical" weapon and a tool. It differentiates itself from Palutena's scepter by being used more like martial art weapon in Adventures in physical combat. How cool would it be to have an actual staff user in the roster? Of course, it's more "magical" properties could be used in her specials. These include a fire blaster, an ice blast, a rocket boost, and a quake move. She could even get it back in the new Star Fox game making it more relevant than ever. Speaking of that....

3.2 But that's not all! (Krystal could have more than just her staff to use)

Depending on how Star Fox Wii U goes, the Star Fox team may acquire new tools, weapons, and abilities. If Krystal gets considered as DLC and the cash in comes from a reference to the new Star Fox, you can bet they'll use it. Krystal may have moves we haven't even imagined yet because they'll borrow from a game that's not even released! Wolf is unlikely to change, similar to Lucas, and is unlikely to take much time to port from Brawl and refine. The door is so wide open for Krystal to represent not just Star Fox as a franchise, but the new Star Fox game in Smash.

4. Krystal is more popular than you might think and has a great shot to get on this roster! (Krystal is not a wasted vote)

Some polls lately may have you thinking that Krystal isn't as popular as some characters, and in some polls it's true. Reddit and Gamefaqs aren't huge supporters in general, but here on Smashboards it's a sunnier outlook for Krystal. Fact is that most polls have her among the top 10 to 12 characters period and when it comes to newcomers she's often in the top 5. A recent Japanese poll in particular had her as their second most requested newcomer character after K. Rool. A poll started by "The Nerdy One" and posted on Gamefaqs and referenced on Smashboards currently has Krystal among the top 5 after over 300 votes. K. Rool dominates as expected, but the only characters between Krystal and the top are Isaac, Roy, and Wolf! Wolf is a friend to our cause as far as I'm concerned, if he gets in Krystal's chances increase actually. Many of the other characters getting votes just behind her are characters that face unique limiting factors to their probable inclusion like Banjo, Ridley, Bayonetta, and Snake.

Visit the Krystal for DLC thread here to find out more about why Krystal is so great and everything we're trying to do to help her cause. Currently we're brainstroming how to illustrate her potential movesets, mostly to do with the staff, so that people can see how interesting she could be as a character. Leap to the end if you want current conversations, heh. We're a pretty nice group too if I do say so myself.

Krystallize Smash!!!

Hah, I linked myself twice and both were textwalls. Sorry about that I guess, but at least their nice and small before you expand them in my post. Plus it's quality reading. You can take more word for it. Honest.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm still not totally sold on the storable charge ability. True she doesn't need a gimmick but it would certainly help. Especially with her controversial status. She needs to have something that would make a person who has never heard of her before go "Ooo I want to try that!"

Another thing that needs to be consider is her using her staff while holding other items. Being her staff is a two-handed weapon. Though she could handle it one handed but it will shorten her reach considerably.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another thing that needs to be consider is her using her staff while holding other items. Being her staff is a two-handed weapon. Though she could handle it one handed but it will shorten her reach considerably.
Unless she's like Shulk and she has it holstered while idle.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm still not totally sold on the storable charge ability. True she doesn't need a gimmick but it would certainly help. Especially with her controversial status. She needs to have something that would make a person who has never heard of her before go "Ooo I want to try that!"

Unless she's like Shulk and she has it holstered while idle.
Exactly this. Fox keeps the staff "sheathed" on his back in Adventures and it's retractable too. Krystal has been shown to wear backpacks and gear on her back. A small pack that the staff could clip into could be where she keeps it. She just has the ability to retrieve it quickly. Even some of the moves I've described in my moveset ideas earlier clearly mention and even use the fact that she'd keep the staff on her back. It's something most have at least considered for her moveset with the staff.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I like how people vote for Wolf or Banjo & Kazooie and nobody bats an eye but if you want Krystal then you're furfaq.

That's not what I was referring to. I was thinking more of her down attacks and up attacks. But looking at Shulk and Dedede I see that the weapon just vanishes when they perform those techniques. I actually prefer her staff to be out at all times. It is so far what makes her unique.

Last edited:

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
So, I have no idea if this has been covered, but here's what my thoughts are. So on the official Smash Bros page, go to any character's page and scroll down to the bottom where you can pick any character on the slider. If you scroll to the very right, you'll see Pac-Man, the Mii Fighters, the Secret Fighters page, and now Mewtwo. Next to Mewtwo, there are five blank slots.
Blank spaces means nothing. It's 9 on Desktop, and 5 on Mobile. They might release 4 more after fans requests... and they might release even more than that (or less).

This depends on how successful this is. So please; everyone, buy them all. ^^

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
The thought to mention this never crossed my mind before, but while I know for sure Krystal is REALLY popular in France, the same can be said about Spain. I always see her being mentioned as one of the top additions, so at least we know she is popular in other countries as well. ^^

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Blank spaces means nothing. It's 9 on Desktop, and 5 on Mobile. They might release 4 more after fans requests... and they might release even more than that (or less).

This depends on how successful this is. So please; everyone, buy them all. ^^
As I has told some others, the slots are really just used to illustrate my points. I found it really fitting, so I included them in the whole "Two-Months" theory. I really hope we get as many DLC characters as possible, but I feel that with the poll ending in October, we really only have until December to get DLC

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
If we spam the ballot, there's a chance we might get Krystal
We would have to think of like 100 different ways to type out why we'd want Krystal, and visit pretty much every public library in our home states.

Damn, if I tried that in my hometown, I would have made a round trip around the whole metroplex.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Except they'd spot that in a second and note the suspicious activity.

Be persistent, yet polite.
And besides, I'm starting to think the ballot is less for directly deciding what characters become DLC and more of a way to nominate them. If that's the case, Krystal has an even better chance than many believe. She doesn't carry the licensing red tape of a third party character or the risk of one from a brand new series, and does have the very things the dev team seemed to focus on with the other newcomers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you really want to do multiple votes (to vote for two characters or one twice) do it once on your computer and once on your phone (not connected to wi-fi[IMPORTANT]) as they have different IP addresses. Make sure to use different nicknames.

Still you should only vote once so make it count.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Sooo... I was just checking that google account limited poll for the first time since last night and all I can say is "whoa". Here...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10-...BTigeOBOW4jz_c/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

Please tell me no one's doing something stupid like making multiple google accounts and spamming the vote. I so want this to be legit. Even so, it's surprising. Look out K. Rool.

Seriously, I hope that's real. None of you better be cheating and getting my hopes up even more.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sooo... I was just checking that google account limited poll for the first time since last night and all I can say is "whoa". Here...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10-...BTigeOBOW4jz_c/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

Please tell me no one's doing something stupid like making multiple google accounts and spamming the vote. I so want this to be legit. Even so, it's surprising. Look out K. Rool.

Seriously, I hope that's real. None of you better be cheating and getting my hopes up even more.
I don't know that the point fo cheating in that poll would do. It's a poll of a poll (perhaps signed by a few Poles)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I don't know that the point fo cheating in that poll would do. It's a poll of a poll (perhaps signed by a few Poles)
True. You never know though. This poll is reasonably spam proof and I'd be disappointed if one of our own went to such lengths.

My current theory is that one of us here took this poll to Twitter and showed it to likeminded people. I can understand Krystal getting votes for sure, but over half of all the votes made since last night were for Krystal. Seems disproportionate, although awesome if legit. In that same time the most any other character got voted on was 4 or 5 more times. Krystal snagged 28 additional votes in comparison, more than doubling what she had last night. She went from tied for fifth most votes to a comfortable second.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

Is this poll yours? I havent voted on this yet...

Nice to see krystal support outside of sb! weird that most of the responses are from gamefaqs, thought they'd hate krystal. I do know the twitterverse has some krystal fans so, no surprise. I doubt anyone is spamming here.

Top Bottom