• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I agree. This isn't about brawl or melee, it's about something bigger.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I don't understand why people say "the brawl player is blah blah blah." They deserve their money as much as anyone else. If anything, I'd rather complain than be a door mat that anyone can walk all over.
You don't understand.

It's not that we're saying they don't deserve their money just as much as anyone else.

It's just humorous that a large concentration of complainers are Brawl players (whom happened to never attend).

GOTM

Smash Champion
GOTM, your dedication to getting better is admirable, but given how everything is today with the world, what with things being so expensive, it is highly unrealistic for Armada and the rest of his crew to come here to simply train and play to play better people. The thought of any of them coming over here to have super serious friendlies is laughable.
Are you dumb? LOL. That's exactly what I said. Wow.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You don't understand.

It's not that we're saying they don't deserve their money just as much as anyone else.

It's just humorous that a large concentration of complainers are Brawl players (whom happened to never attend).
But why you trying to direct attention to them? Oh well. I'm sure the reasons people play melee are diff than the reasons people play brawl.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I don't need to because your background isn't relavent.

Stop. Now. This couldn't be more wrong. At all. And just shows you're speaking without even reading any of the posts I've made. You're making your self look extremely foolish already.

I have never said plank was right in anyway. I've never excused him in any of my posts. If anything most of my posts are aimed at the community and how they should improve.

Again. Stop making yourself look foolish.

The purpose of this thread is not about lessons learned, no. But that doesn't mean it can't be talked about.

Like really. Do us a favor and read peoples' post more, especially if they're directed at you.

And I insulted no one. If you think I insulted you, think again. I called you obvious, which is a neutral character trait, and also true simply through your previous posts.

I'm done with you man. Real talk.
Stay free now ya hear fool?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Community is pretty fickle.

A few months ago, everyone was complaining about the most organized TO the Brawl community has ever dealt with. A TO the payed out and actually planned things out with some financial common sense. This TO had contracts, enforced rules, and gave away free stuff.

And now here we are again, we don't like broke *** lying grassroots TOs that gamble with everyone's money?

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
I think the moral of this situation comes out to this from the arguing on both sides.

Not a many smashers can be trusted.

Many smashers are greedy ****s.

Many smashers are young and immature and don't know much past the world of thier parents house.

For the most part we all don't really get along, we just pretend to until our minuscule view of the world is compromised, then we feel wronged.

Only a few people have taken a logical approach to this on either side of the argument.

General thought is **** that guys situation, I want that money right now!

I'm missing a lot but I'm short on time. I actually have to get back to work.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
You don't understand.

Again, I'd rather complain and motivate plank to stop my complaining by taking action, rather than rolling over and complacently waiting for him to change his mind. He's not even making empty promises he's just saying that everyone is wrong for thinking he owes them anything.

Are you dumb? LOL. That's exactly what I said. Wow.
I'm sorry, I only skimmed. I'm actually very intelligent, but it was my mistake. Thanks for the lesson in being a nice person though, I'll keep in mind to belittle someone when they make a mistake.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Thing is not everyone yelled at him, what about them? Example, Pp, said that he forgave him. Isn't that enough to want to help them?

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Xavier vs Seagull Argument match bo3

Seagull ***** Xavier 3 stocked.

Xavier counterpick Brawl+

Seagull beats Xavier in a close match. Ggs

I don't see why complaining about money seems like a bad thing. I think you guys need to get checked.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I think the moral of this situation comes out to this from the arguing on both sides.

Not a many smashers can be trusted.

Many smashers are greedy ****s.

Many smashers are young and immature and don't know much past the world of thier parents house.

For the most part we all don't really get along, we just pretend to until our minuscule view of the world is compromised, then we feel wronged.

Only a few people have taken a logical approach to this on either side of the argument.

General thought is **** that guys situation, I want that money right now!

I'm missing a lot but I'm short on time. I actually have to get back to work.

You need to look at the situation from the views of other people. Smashers don't have tons of money to just throw away going to tournaments. Plank made a huge mistake thinking that people would fulfill the hotel room quota. Nobody knew about this quota. So now you have tons of smashers going to an event, with some doing it as an investment (knowing they would probably place and win cash) and now everybody learns that no prize money will be given out.

Did plank make a huge mistake in thinking everybody would follow the hotel room rule? Yes

Would smashers have followed that rule if they knew that there was a hotel room quota that needed to be satisfied in order to ensure prize money? Probably

Did Plank know that there would be money troubles ahead of time? Yes

Is it understandable that Plank would use the prize money to fulfill his debts once this disaster occured? Yes

Is Plank morally entitled to eventually pay the tournament winners? Yes. This is what he is not doing anymore, which is wrong.

TL:DR: Plank made tons of mistakes. The entire blame does not rest entirely on his shoulders, but in the end it is his responsibility to pay up.

Hack

Smash Journeyman
so again, i will rehash since u plank supporters don't get it. why should everyone carry the risk for plank?
Because he took his time to organize an otherwise great tournament.
What I see here is nothing but grumpy, self-righteous kids believing that, as long as they remain unharmed, everything is fine. Justice for the sake of justice.

Plank ****ed up. So did the people deciding not to show up, and people who crashed in overbooked rooms to avoid expences (these people are ****ing *******, seriously). The difference between these people and Plank is that he bore responsibility for the whole outcome, whereas they just looked out for themselves.

Had nothing gone wrong, no one would've complained. Unfortunately, it did go wrong, and it's basically Planks fault for not being careful enough. He covered the expenses with the prizewinners', and his own, money. Strictly speaking, he should be paying them back, but can't due to a poor financial situation. So I ask you sincerely: are you all completely unforgiving? Have you no shred of sympathy in you?

This outcome is terrible, and all winners have a right to be angry/upset, but please drop the "screw all the good things that he's done for us - he ****ed up and I want my money!"-attitude. It's pretty obvious that he's made a big mistake, but without forgiveness, we should be ashamed to call ourselves a community. It's clearly not a case of scam-attempt either.

DJRome

Smash Hero
um, so i can take on great risk if i want knowing that i can have kids for backup? sounds like a pretty safe plan. . .

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This might sound cruel, but over half the people here are being douches anyways. A big part of me wishes that Plank played the part of a martyr in this whole situation. It probably sounds kinda ignorant since we don't know the immediate repercussions of this, but I think it woulda been a whole lot better for the community. Plank says we'd all probably have done the same thing in his shoes, but I disagree. I definitely woulda taken the hit.

Think about it:

Plank pays the winners all their cash, everyone has an amazing time at the tournament.
BOOOOM, Hotel gets super pissed at Plank since he's unable to pay them. **** hits the fan.
Plank makes a huge post about how no shows and what-not have put him in this awful situation, but he takes responsibility for the poor planning and pays the winners because they earned it.
Everyone reads this and feels really bad for Plank. He stuck his neck out for all of us and is now facing legal charges because a bunch of people in the community let him down.
Paypal accounts are made, massive donations are sent Plank's way. Perhaps he has to take out a small loan to help pay, but he's a hero to community and we all have each others' back. In all the mean time maybe he's working something out with the hotel.
Community gets through this together and becomes tightly knit through a common cause.

Instead we got something like this:

Plank doesn't pay the winners their cash, instead pays the hotel
Winners don't get their money, everybody hears about it
Plank makes a post explaining why he did what he did, no-shows etc. It makes sense, but the situation still sucks.
People rage, the community turns on each other, flaming goes on for days, and everyone has a sour taste in their mouth.

So I dunno, I feel like the first decision, while not immediately too appetizing for Plank during the situation, probably would have panned out a lot better. I mean either way Plank would be losing, he happened to choose the one with less legal ramifications which is totally understandable, but I can't help but wish he'd have chosen otherwise. He probably didn't realize it, but I really think everything would have worked out much better if he just bit the bullet.

Wait, you'd honestly expect a rational human being to put themselves into the financial blacklist and pretty much ruin a good portion of their future for the sake of being a Smash community hero?

LOL

Too many cartoons man, too many cartoons.

Unrealistic expectations ftl.

Laijin

Smash Hero

Wait, you'd honestly expect a rational human being to put themselves into the financial blacklist and pretty much ruin a good portion of their future for the sake of being a Smash community hero?

LOL

Welcome to the entire thread.
Where most of the people who have posted in here will literally disagree with your post.

The King

Smash Ace
[Paranoia] Makes me wonder if the community, as divided as it is on this subject, might be heading towards a Mexican Standoff situation regarding attending tournaments. Realistically, we're only one step away from this becoming a reality: Tournament Regulation & Reform. Albeit a big step at the moment.

Suppose though that our community "learns" from this event, and decides to reform itself to protect its entrants from something like this ever happening again. Whether it's signed & documented stipulations of intent to pay, contracts of a sort, who knows. But supposing the community actively decides to start beefing up it's peace-of-mind by doing so, then all you need to do is mix in some elementary Game Theory and you're left with the following scenario:

1.) Entrants who have the skill to have even the potential to earn prize money at an event will not participate in large-scale nationals such as these without some sort of protection from the TO that their entry fee (and the tournament's potential payoff) is guaranteed / insured.

2.) Knowing the disaster which surely would have awaited Plairnkk would he not have appropriated all of the prize money to save his ***, Tournament Organizers will not want to place any sort of contractual guarantee of prize money payout, due to TO's not wanting to endure such a terrible fate should something in the event's financial planning goes awry.

[/Paranoia]

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion

LOL

not for the sake of being a smash hero, for the sake of giving 5-10 grand back what you stole, for the sake of MORALS.

you basically said , financial black list, or steal 10 grand from the community you love(d).

i don't think expecting someone to take fall on their own actions is unrealistic expectations at all.

if everyone thought like this, the world would be alot darker.

i know i keep popping back in here, i just argue with the ones who state their opinions like fact and attempt to make everyone else seem too dumb to be right.

Thino

Smash Master
wow you guys are still talking about what Plank shoudve done and moral of the story instead of being like Peepee and Mew2king and trying to actually find a solution?

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I'm just curious as to why this wasn't a problem for Pound 1/2/3/4

And all of a sudden this happens on Pound 5?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Really?
Really...? Serious question?
I'll let someone else answer that.
he makes a valid point, i don't see why you just sit in here and condescend people, find a thread worth your time..

anti, i'm 99% sure it's because the venue choice wasn't the same as previous pounds.

and since it wasn't the same venue as before, he didn't make the same mistake of signing a contract with a venue at the previous pounds.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
not for the sake of being a smash hero, for the sake of giving 5-10 grand back what you stole, for the sake of MORALS.
Yes... morals...

you basically said , financial black list, or steal 10 grand from the community you love(d).
Well he didn't really steal if it were to pay for the running of HIS tournament. Now if he'd picked up the money and banked it/done a runner that's a whole different story, but there was a planning disaster and he had to use entry money to iron it out. A massive screwup on Plank's part but that's not theft. If people did show and there wasn't the whole cramming thing it probably wouldn't have turned out this way, not to say that Plank didn't **** up, but at the same time, it's not like this is solely on Plank's shoulders. He's just the obvious target.

i don't think expecting someone to take fall on their own actions is unrealistic expectations at all.
Are you sure you live in the real world?

if everyone thought like this, the world would be alot darker.
Most people DO think like this, which is why indeed, the world isn't a very nice place.

i know i keep popping back in here, i just argue with the ones who state their opinions like fact and attempt to make everyone else seem too dumb to be right.
The only thing I was saying was how people are surprised that Plank saved himself instead of playing a martyr. Like it or not, that is exactly what the majority of people would do in a situation like that. I mean he was very officially bound to a contract with the hotel, a nice big corporate hotel, one that could wreck your *** and **** your children for extra fun when it comes to legal power. Plank may not have won any hearts in the community for what he did, but it was the pragmatic thing to do.

Personally I think Plank should work on getting the winners their prize money, but hounding him and expecting it straight up is as unrealistic as expecting him to voluntarily get wrecked by the hotel in court.

If everyone could just breeeeeeeeeathe and try to work out a solution other than dragging Plank through the mud, then maybe there'd be hope for seeing the money sooner.

Besides I really can't see how people would think Plank had any intentions of initial theft. I mean, if you look at 0C3 Manacloud slyed it out at least, this is too disastrous to have been a scam.

But whatever I dunno what I'm talking about anymore.

You Americans and your drama :3

ANTi_

Smash Hero
All Laijin does is condescend, surprised mods dont infract him for spam.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know I'm starting to think if I were policing this thread in its height, looking at all the posts that deserved infractions...

Most of the posters would've racked up enough points for a ban. =/

rhan

Smash Hero
Laijin's also apart of that small margin of reasonable people that know nothing can be done at this point.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Morals don't get people out of thousands of dollars out of debt that might screw you over for a very long time lol.

But of course, some of you won't see that. Again, Plank ****ed up hardcore. But I don't think a person who has tried to do big things for our community should deserve to be screwed over like that.

Trust me, I know what it's like to be promised big money and all that after winning 1st 2nd etc. VGames comes to mind but I don't even want to get into that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom