• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hax

Smash Champion
nobody should be forgiving plank. as tightly knit and forgiving as the smash community is, there is no excuse for him using the prize money to pay off his debts. if he legitimately needed the money immediately and planned on refunding us later on i'd have no problem, but he's outright stealing it. as amazing as the pound series as been to me, plank's decision is unforgivable. i really hope you guys aren't considering going to any of his tournies at this point..

aho43

Smash Lord
This.

(Sans the Brawl hate, of course. Kind of.)
Just to be clear, I was joking. Everyone deserves their money. The best thing to do as a community if you want to help out the people who got screwed the most is to host your own small local tournaments and donate some of the pot to those people. I wouldn't count on Plank to come up w/ the dough.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
He has mentioned the possibility of hosting other tournaments to pay people back, but he wasn't interested while people were hating on him so much. I'm suggesting that we show Plank respect and we as a community accept that he made a mistake(well in a way the community did too but I don't think they knew it was that big of a deal so I guess its debatable) but work with him to help make it up. Everyone got hit from this so we can all come together under a common cause to make things better.

Now, if Plank doesn't want to host anything because we pissed him off badly/too many people want to get him or whatever then I guess that's his decision. He's not forced to do anything. And I guess it just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth if that's how it goes down but oh well.

Plank, if you read this, I'd really love to see a post from you giving your thoughts on things at the moment because we're kinda stuck on things until you do.
Well if he doesn't then he'll be forever in darkness anyway, the solution is right here in everybody's face. lol.

nobody should be forgiving plank. as tightly knit and forgiving as the smash community is, there is no excuse for him using the prize money to pay off his debts. if he legitimately needed the money immediately and planned on refunding us later on i'd have no problem, but he's outright stealing it. as amazing as the pound series as been to me, plank's decision is unforgivable. i really hope you guys aren't considering going to any of his tournies at this point..
Fine but that doesn't mean it ends right here and now. It's not like he killed someone or anything like that, that can't be forgiven for sure but we still livin' and mistakes can be fixed.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
but we still livin' and mistakes can be fixed.
Yes. We can learn from this mistake. Should we ask about the payouts persistently in thread? Would it be worth my trip from faraway distant land?

I just feel that with nationals we should be more careful with picking hotels, but then someone brought up a good point that most hotels are like that.

So question is, why do we use hotels? Maybe we should brain storm ideas for better, cheaper venues?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yes. We can learn from this mistake. Should we ask about the payouts persistently in thread? Would it be worth my trip from faraway distant land?

I just feel that with nationals we should be more careful with picking hotels, but then someone brought up a good point that most hotels are like that.

So question is, why do we use hotels? Maybe we should brain storm ideas for better, cheaper venues?
Well sometimes you don't really a choice to do that because housing is limited and not everyone can do it... but you can always be more careful next time with the hotels. I mean.. anyways everything that needs to be brought to light has already been said.. meaning the door is right there but there can only be one person who can walk through it.. will he? =P

rhan

Smash Hero
I don't believe he's going to host anymore tournies... lmaooooo

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Nah, **** Plank with an aids ****.

Why forgive him?

I just dont care about the money anymore.

IM RICH BICH!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I have a terrible terrible feeling that the community will not learn from this whole experience as well as they should.
Most just won't unfortunately. I recommend people watch Alex's vid and hopefully take something from his wise words on the matter. Seriously kids, live and learn, it'll benefit you in the long run.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i see nothing wrong with what fatal did lol...

plank owed him 50 bucks so he got his 50.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Wait, I know I'm late to this, but cramming a ton of people into a single hotel room is absolutely nothing new and should be expected for large events like this. I mean, it's a way of saving money. Hell, I've done it for every single trip, convention, and event I've ever been to. Not only is it negligent to expect people to buy a room per 4 people, it's downright ignorant. This isn't something limited to the Smash community.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Just to be clear, I was joking. Everyone deserves their money. The best thing to do as a community if you want to help out the people who got screwed the most is to host your own small local tournaments and donate some of the pot to those people. I wouldn't count on Plank to come up w/ the dough.
I kinda figured you were joking. Which is why I played along with the "kind of."

I wouldn't count on Plank for the money, but I'd be damned if I would just give up right then and there, either. He's got culpability a-plenty here for his actions; he (as the blamed party) should at least get a shot at making amends. If he can't do anything about it right now, give him time. You can't expect **** to happen overnight, especially when it comes to thousands (and thousands) of dollars. I'm sure Plank doesn't piss away a ridiculous amount of money on a day-to-day basis. Some people on these boards don't live at home with Mommy and Daddy, nor do they have the advantage of nice, cushion-y government lodging and/or money.

(I might be looking at SoFatal with my last few comments, what with his trolling and all. I wonder if you have to ask permission to go to tourneys still. Is it past your bedtime?)

Does this necessarily insulate him from punitive action? No. Hell no. If he doesn't do anything about it at all, well, **** it. Draw your lines in the sand. Bring your pitch forks. Do whatever you like. You don't have to wait forever, but just give him a ****ing chance. Even the top placing players are saying this.

Smooth Criminal

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Wait, I know I'm late to this, but cramming a ton of people into a single hotel room is absolutely nothing new and should be expected for large events like this. I mean, it's a way of saving money. Hell, I've done it for every single trip, convention, and event I've ever been to. Not only is it negligent to expect people to buy a room per 4 people, it's downright ignorant.
And that excuses the fact that he told people not to do it multiple times before the tourney and people said, "no **** you" and did it anyway, quite literally affecting/increasing size of how ****ed up this whole situation is?

Tsch.

I hope not. I hope that's not what you're implying.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
Plank shouldn't have spent money he didn't have
Plank shouldn't have booked people's rooms before they paid for them

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
What's there to learn? Seriously dude? Don't trust TO's?
Anddddd proof towards my post.

What is there to learn?

• Look/Ask/Request/Demand Legal documentation for super large tourneys.
  • Make sure Tourney's OP is clear in terms of payout/requisites/details in general.
  • If hotel rooms for rooming were the product of a deal between TO and the company, make sure that it's extremely obvious that it is the case to all Smashers.
  • Listen to TOs when they say, "Dont do X."
  • Make consequences of not listening to the TO extremely clear to everyone.

**** like that. There is more, trust me.

There is **** spewed throughout this WHOLE DEBACLE giving the whole community lessons to learn.

If you really can't see even the most obvious ones, I sincerely hope you do not become a leading member of this community in anyway because your obliviousness to lessons to be learned will run this community straight THROUGH the ground, and out the other side of the god damn planet.

Real ****ing talk.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Stfu, Plank owed the guy money so he got his money back.

Stop riding Plank's nuts.

This should be like a discussion between the placers who weren't paid/plank.

Thats it.

These "Extras" are just boosting their post counts.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
why did you just go so hard against plank, because your in a sissy fit you lost 50 dollars, instead of being mature about it.

going hard against plank = getting money you are actually owed?

wut.

plank owed him money so he got his money back lol, i dont understand whats so wrong about that. if fatal DIDNT win 50 and got the refund then yea, i could understand. he paid venue + entry fee for the tournament experience, thats not what he got 50 dollars for...he got 50 for placing in the money. get planks nuts out of your throat for just a few seconds

edit: anti ninja'd me, ****ing gay

So Fatal

Smash Master
why did you just go so hard against plank, because your in a sissy fit you lost 50 dollars, instead of being mature about it.
this is funny. makes me think that if you bought something for like 50 and gave them a hundred dollar bill and the cashier closed the register without giving change and said "I'll use that for some bills I owe later" You'll be like, im mature it's all good man see ya.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I've really had it with the "you didn't win money" or "you weren't there excuses". Wtf do you think, that it puts us in the wrong automatically? That you're auto correct? Yes we may be ignorant to an extent because of it but not wrong. The excuses, They just aren't viable when someone actually has a point. Yes what Plank did was wrong and it's even worse that he isn't here giving everyone an expected date when he will pay people or if he's even going to.

But Fatal you're not exactly in the right for what you did. Far from it. If you were you wouldn't have edited your posts. Idk if the paypal company pays you the money you disputed for from their own pocked but if they didn't, you stole from plank and might have led hundreds of others who saw your posts do the same. 2 wrongs don't make a right and if Plank got close to a 100 per person taken from him on top of this whole mess, you just pulled a a big scumbag move. Not cool.

I'm fairly confident within a month's time plank would've worked something out with the winners. What, you couldn't wait a bit for 50 dollars? you gotta be kidding me man.

Anti, I don't consider it riding on Planks nuts. I don't think Planks in the right at all but to make things worse not just for him but for the community because of how that just looked? Fatal got his entire entry from Pound back, anyone could've done it. It was over 60 dollars, fatal won 50.

anyways, this subject is getting foul and ridiculous for tooooooo many people. Plank stop being ****ing scared and clear everything up NOW. I see you signing on to check the thread and not do anything when you could fix this, not easily but still do it. Man up.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
this is funny. makes me think that if you bought something for like 50 and gave them a hundred dollar bill and the cashier closed the register without giving change and said "I'll use that for some bills I owe later" You'll be like, im mature it's all good man see ya.
I'm not hear defending planks actions.

What I am saying is I don't understand how doing that makes it any better.

As Kzissle said 2 wrongs don't make a right.

But w.e I guess it isn't my problem

an eye for an eye makes the world blind.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Stfu, Plank owed the guy money so he got his money back.

Stop riding Plank's nuts.

Thats it.

Actually he didn't get his money back. He's trolling hard, Anti. That's not how Paypal works at all.

And if you're so hellbent on talking to Plank, why don't you try and get in touch with him outside of Smashboards? I mean, clearly, this thread is open to the public. They can whine, cry, and do whatever they want as long as the thread's open. If you got beef, you should go directly to the source instead of twiddling your thumbs, and go to it with a ****ing clear head. Why you busy squaring off with the rest of these "extras?" What's there to defend? We know you were wronged. We ****ing get it. Now do something about it.

Smooth Criminal

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
The only thing I'd say in Fatal's defense on this is: Has Plank indicated he was working on a solution to pay the winners? I didn't see if it he did, in fact the opposite. I saw him say he was leaving, twice I think.

The thing about this whole situation that bothers me is this. This is Plank's like 4th national right? How was his business plan this poorly laid out that he was literally counting on a number of variables that even I, who's been in the smash community for far less time than Plank, know you shouldn't be counting on. Period.

Most business men in this situation would have a lot to account for right now. They wouldn't be able to say "Well I'm gunna go. You might here from me in awhile." without serious reprecussions.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Anddddd proof towards my post.

What is there to learn?

• Look/Ask/Request/Demand Legal documentation for super large tourneys.
  • Make sure Tourney's OP is clear in terms of payout/requisites/details in general.
  • If hotel rooms for rooming were the product of a deal between TO and the company, make sure that it's extremely obvious that it is the case to all Smashers.
  • Listen to TOs when they say, "Dont do X."
  • Make consequences of not listening to the TO extremely clear to everyone.

**** like that. There is more, trust me.

There is **** spewed throughout this WHOLE DEBACLE giving the whole community lessons to learn.

If you really can't see even the most obvious ones, I sincerely hope you do not become a leading member of this community in anyway because your obliviousness to lessons to be learned will run this community straight THROUGH the ground, and out the other side of the god damn planet.

Real ****ing talk.
You have a big post count. I wouldn't be in over my head like this because I wouldn't have booked a venue that over accounted the money I'd receive to pay out both prize money and hotel.

I don't believe I have a lesson to be learned because I only expected what every TO is entitled to do for the winners. I also followed his guidelines. I live in Maryland so I went home everyday you ****er.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord

Thats it.

people who didn't win money could potentially provide a better and neutral point of view

tho that's not always the case

plus those who went contributed to the prize money. so in a sense, he's using the communities' money as a whole, not just the winners', to whom it belongs to in the end

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You have a big post count
Mad irrelavant.

I wouldn't be in over my head like this because I wouldn't have booked a venue that over accounted the money I'd receive to pay out both prize money and hotel.
Another lesson to be learn. You're not as oblivious as you previous post leads to believe.

I don't believe I have a lesson to be learned because I only expected what every TO is entitled to do for the winners.
And I take it back. If you don't think the things I said that should be learned are worth learning, I stand by my previous post of you being unable to recoginize what is worth being learned and I hope you do not ever gain heavy influence over this community, because your lack of insight outside of the game is astonishing.

I also followed his guidelines. I live in Maryland so I went home everyday you ****er.
Has nothing to do with my post at all.

It's like it's all going over your head or something.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Mad irrelavant.

Another lesson to be learn. You're not as oblivious as you previous post leads to believe.

And I take it back. If you don't think the things I said that should be learned are worth learning, I stand by my previous post of you being unable to recoginize what is worth being learned and I hope you do not ever gain heavy influence over this community, because your lack of insight outside of the game is astonishing.

Has nothing to do with my post at all.

It's like it's all going over your head or something.
Meh, you know nothing about me.

Plank gambled with our money. That's just a fact. He rolled the dice in the hopes he'd win (A certain number of people would attend), but he lost the roll (Not enough people attended). The odds of winning were a 1/6 outcome compared to the 5/6 outcome of losing. The money went to the house, in this case the hotel.

It seems all you do is post and insult people, but cannot except the reality that what he did was wrong and he owes the people who placed into the money for this competition. This has NOTHING to do with lessons that shall be learned (Sure, you can learn something, but that isn't the point of this thread in the first place). This has to do with PAYING WHAT HE OWES.

xFats

Smash Apprentice
Yo real talk i'm like really bad at these type of things but.
From my point in this, all ya'll is dumb, ya'lls got robbed, whoever was owed money hit up plank and speak to him outside of smashboards. just my input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom