• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhan

Smash Hero
Sou ka...

Well I was just wondering cuz I seen the same this posted twice now in this thread...

H1N1

Smash Journeyman
The best comparable analogy to this whole situation is smashers are preferred stockholders to the tournaments business. The tournament needs to pay off the debt before any money goes to the stockholders. In this case, the tournament went bankrupt since expenses>revenue. The smashers would have gotten paid, but seeing as what happened, unfortunately, they get the short end and get screwed.

Is he morally bound to pay them? Sure why not. Morally bound doesn't mean anything.

Is he legally obligated to pay? Since everything was based on assumptions, no.
lol your arguments get worse every time

JPOBS

Smash Hero
more dumb*

at least address his idiocy.

i don't agree with what GOD has said to/about you, but i do agree that planks still wrong here.

basically, instead of taking the 10k hit himself, he made others suffer by spreading the 10k Debt out to multiple people, thus softening the concept that Plank just used 10k of winnings to make up HIS OWN MISTAKE.

The community isn't responsible for the contracts, or deals the TO's make with the hotel. It's not even the responsibility of the community to STAY AT THAT HOTEL. Besides people stacking up in rooms, people could have decided to stay down the street AT A CHEAPER HOTEL[this place was pricey], which also screws up Plank's contract. He clearly didn't think this through enough.

There is no irony and hypocrisy. Plank's requests weren't of a normal TO's requests. At a smash tournament, you stay where you please, and you pay for the event. The entire community could've chosen to be housed instead, and this would've put plank in an even worse money situation, alot worse. It's not fair to force the community to stay at the expensive hotel just to fill plank's CONTRACTUAL needs, needs which weren't even required for this event.
What "could" have happened and what did happen are two different things and the former is entrely irrelevent. smashers "could" have done anything, but the fact is people who chose to stay at the hotel were for the most part, being immoral by dishonoring his and the hotels wishes. THAT IS A FACT. idc what other parallel universes could have happened.

The fact remains that people were immoral and did cram rooms, which resulted in less rented rooms. As a result, plank was immoral and used the money to pay off the hotel.

I'm not saying "fairs fair" or condoning plank, not at all. I just wish that people who want to rage would come up with something better to discuss than morals and what was the "right" thing to do. Because honestly, the entire communiy comes across as being extremely pig headed and hypocritical.

I have no objection to arguments brought towards plank from other perspectives, but the argument from the moral perspective is ****ing dumb and anyone who backs makes me laugh.
I think its crucial to point out that im not at all arguing in favor of planks actions or denying that plank could have been more responsible and all that stuff thats been discssed for the past few thousand posts. The only point im trying to make is that the argument that plank "should pay the winners" from a moral perspective is terrible and hypocritical in my eyes. Other arguments about the legal obligations and all that stuff are valid (i also don't care about them)

i also don't buy the argument that "plank didnt say he wud have to take pot money if we filled rooms, so...we filled rooms". It doesn't matter if he explicitly said "this will happen if you split rooms" the fact is, he said many, many times NOT to do it. and that should of been the end of that as far as morality goes.

sorry to people that didnt over cram, you guys are homies <3

dguy6789

Smash Lord
The very idea that people would hand someone with Plank's credibility their money and expect to get it back is mind blowing to me.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
The very idea that people would hand someone with Plank's credibility their money and expect to get it back is mind blowing to me.
HOLY ****

dguy came out of nowhere and posted. you know **** is serious then

rhan

Smash Hero
If someone owed me money and said he wasn't going to pay me back..

He'd be ****ting out blood and barbed wire for years.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
a smasher owes me 180 still. Its gonna be on that dj nintendo/pbj new thread status soon :laugh:

rhan

Smash Hero
It's beacause you're one of the few that got your money from Pound Laijin... lmaooooo

Dey jelly.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I think that Plank should be personally sued. Sorry that things did not work out for you but if you told people they were going to be payed, had it listed in your thread or made it in some way misleading (making them believe they were going to get paid when they did not) then you are at fault and owe those people money. People fly to these places for tournaments and anticipate payout to refund and profit them from going to these events. If you are not going to payout willingly then you need to be ordered to. Unless their was a disclaimer, I see the Tournament Organizer at fault.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
There is nothing positive that comes out of me posting except for restarting the flaming**. I didn't post for two weeks because I was trying to WORK THIS **** OUT with the hotel and get back any sort of money I possibly could before I posted saying the situation. I didn't let people know ahead of time because this was a TERRIBLE DISASTER and I didn't get charged the final bill until the END OF THE TOURNAMENT so how do you expect me to tell you beforehand? Excuse me for my ignorance and naivety, but I was still under the impression that people would obey the RULES of the tournament they are choosing to attend GIVEN THOSE RULES. LISTEN TO YOURSELVES. If you weren't willing to pay the money to stay in a hotel room with 4 people like I stated 200 times, then don't come.

Maybe if smashers took even the smallest bit of accountability EVER it would not have turned out this way. You want every benefit in the world but aren't even willing to play your own small part.

Smashers are KNOWN to procrastinate until the very last minute and my contract was on a sliding scale of money. The more rooms rented the cheaper then venue. I did make an error, but a large part of my error was putting any sort of faith in this community to be mature and responsible. The fact that people are trying to make the argument that cramming into rooms is "accepted" and the "standard" is absolutely ridiculous. With my calculations I would've been able to pay everyone out in full EASILY with even COMPARABLE numbers to *Pound* 4. I could've STILL paid people out with the number of people who DID come if rooms weren't crammed into.

I said hundreds and hundreds of times not to do this in the thread, and due to people cramming and the no-shows which were charged to me (I feel that if people rented the hotel room and didn't cancel it and didn't show up THEY should be charged, however this is not the hotel policy on events and I was forced to cover there rooms) there were not enough rooms rented so the price of the venue was MORE EXPENSIVE. I am the one organizing the event and if you all BLATANTLY ignore what I say and just cram into rooms and this situation comes as a result of it, YOU ALL are each held accountable who participated in this as well (Ally how many people were in your room, for example?) You can't simply disregard hotel policy and the policy of the tournament, acknowledge that you disregarded it, and then ***** that because of this I didn't have the funds to pay out and I should've "expected people to cram into rooms".

Whether breaking the rules is the standard in this community or not, I do not strive for my tournaments to be the standard. When I say things I expect people to follow them, and if not, they receive the consequences.

If a player is not on time they are disqualified. If players would not have crammed into rooms decreasing the number of rooms rented, which was posted 100x more than any sort of information about distribution of the incoming funds BTW, this would have never happened. You all can not hold me to this ridiculous moral standard of putting myself into over $10k of debt because of this situation when you all cannot hold yourselves to the moral standard of honoring the request of the hotel AND of the TO.

Had I have known ahead of time the attendance and that people were still going to cram into rooms, I may have made my investments differently. Coming from a community with little to no integrity as a whole, I am totally blown that you are attempting to challenge my integrity. I came at this situation apologizing in a totally mature way and what do I get in return? After 5 years of being with this community and serving them I get lynched on a cross, harrassed via social networks and on here, and overall just treated like total ****. By reading through this thread it is quite obvious that certain people do not even read my entire posts and/or are way too blinded by their ignorance as a whole.

Also everything M2K says basically is a total lie, as usual, but I figure that's common knowledge by now. I'm not sure if you really believe this stuff in your head sometimes M2K, but your ability to fabricate an entire story around a situation is.....phenomenal.

I post when I have time to read everything and make an accurate post responding to the people who I feel I need to respond to/people who even have somewhat valid points. The majority of you are ridiculous children who are just spamming the boards with impossible requests and not even reading the things I say and actually considering them, so you aren't even worth addressing.

I understand that I made a mistake, and whether that mistake was overstepping my bounds and trying to make something TOO great or whether it was relying on people who are, apparently, the most unrealiable people in existence it destroys me inside that I have to hurt ANYBODY in this community. That is NEVER what I wanted to have happen, but I'm glad I get to see the true faces of everybody by their reactions on the situation. I would have gladly tried to help raise the funds with tournaments or something rather than this being my last event ever, but at this point with all the threats and how negatively my entire reputation I've built over the years is now perceived, that is hardly even possible.

I've lost my patience with you jackals, I hope that you are truly happy.... I don't know why any of you who are reacting so harshly to me would ever expect that this would be an acceptable way to go about getting the money to the prizewinners. Stop being drama llamas and get out of the thread if you aren't involved or if you're going to continue to bring your retardedly errant moral opinion on the matter when there wasn't even a chance for me to make a moral decision, the funds were gone before they could have ever been used for prizes. My card had been ran days before the tournament, and they took out the amount they did, leaving me with nothing.

I am trying to post all of this so people realize it was a MISTAKE and there were a lot of factors that contributed to this happening. I could've easily just ran away from the entire problem but that is NOT the kind of person I am. I am not legally obligated to do ANYTHING for you all, I was just trying to help everyone UNDERSTAND what happened and seek advice on how to potentially help in the future since I simply do not have the funds nor do i make the funds to pay these off. Instead I get met with immediate lawsuit threats and conspiracy theories that I stole blahblahblah money. So feel free to continue to flame and be immature, rude, horrible people and undermine everything I've tried to do for this community for the past 5 years and see how far that gets you with me.
You know at first I felt awful for you and the winners. TOing is a crapload of work and responsibility, and typically no tournament happens without the TO throwing himself out there a little bit for risk. Your attitude towards remedying the problem and blaming the players is deserving for every one of the flames and law suit threats coming at you.

1. First of all, you should be THANKING those players that crammed into hotel rooms, not blaming them. These guys dropped mad bank traveling across the country/world for this event. If they were going to have to pay an additional $106 per night they stayed, they would not have risked their funds of going to pound at all. That would only mean more $424ish charges to you and less entry fee for you to steal from to cover it.

2. Own up. You are responsible for this risk. You whined about being shorted on attendance. Honestly how many did you expect to show up. 240ish for melee and 160ish or whatever they are are stupidly good numbers for a tournament in the middle of the winter that runs into the week where there is no major holiday (Most universities don't let out for president's day) where there have already been 4 national brawl tournaments this year and ROM3 being like a month before yours.

3. You STOLE money to cover your ***. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have done the same thing in your situation, as would practically everyone else, but that money was not yours. Making a mistake is one thing. Your attitude in defending your actions by saying the money was not for the pot, it's for the TO to use however he wants and lack of effort to help the winners is bs. Your posts honestly don't seem to have much remorse or seem to have thought much at all about fixing your mistake. You told people saving up the $400 to $1200 to make the trip to pound could come pretty easy by some smart saving, why not attempt to do the same to get on the right track of giving these guys what they deserve? Why throw a hissy fit when you're receiving similar heat that you gladly gave to the Hoang brothers?

4. Don't dish it out, if you can't take it. The flames and questions you had for Manacloud about the OC3 tournament look like an exact replica of the posts coming at you post pound V. The flames you had for Mana were certainly justified, what happened at pound V was WORSE. First of all, the people who placed in the money did get paid something. It was nowhere near what they deserved from all of the entries, but they did get rewarded. Second, people knew they were getting ripped off the whole time about going to OC3. They told everyone they were charging bukou bucks for dvds of the matches while not allowing anyone to record in the venue. They let everyone know they would have to fork out loads of money for a chance to play with the Japanese. I believe approximately the same amount of pot money went where it should not gave gone, the TO's bank account. They let them know beforehand how crazy the venue fee was. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

It sucks that you and the winners are in this situation after all the work, I feel for you in that regard. The way you're going about it, it makes people only wish the worst for you quite honestly, at least for me.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You know at first I felt awful for you and the winners. TOing is a crapload of work and responsibility, and typically no tournament happens without the TO throwing himself out there a little bit for risk. Your attitude towards remedying the problem and blaming the players is deserving for every one of the flames and law suit threats coming at you.

1. First of all, you should be THANKING those players that crammed into hotel rooms, not blaming them. These guys dropped mad bank traveling across the country/world for this event. If they were going to have to pay an additional $106 per night they stayed, they would not have risked their funds of going to pound at all. That would only mean more $424ish charges to you and less entry fee for you to steal from to cover it.

2. Own up. You are responsible for this risk. You whined about being shorted on attendance. Honestly how many did you expect to show up. 240ish for melee and 160ish or whatever they are are stupidly good numbers for a tournament in the middle of the winter that runs into the week where there is no major holiday (Most universities don't let out for president's day) where there have already been 4 national brawl tournaments this year and ROM3 being like a month before yours.

3. You STOLE money to cover your ***. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have done the same thing in your situation, as would practically everyone else, but that money was not yours. Making a mistake is one thing. Your attitude in defending your actions by saying the money was not for the pot, it's for the TO to use however he wants and lack of effort to help the winners is bs. Your posts honestly don't seem to have much remorse or seem to have thought much at all about fixing your mistake. You told people saving up the $400 to $1200 to make the trip to pound could come pretty easy by some smart saving, why not attempt to do the same to get on the right track of giving these guys what they deserve? Why throw a hissy fit when you're receiving similar heat that you gladly gave to the Hoang brothers?

4. Don't dish it out, if you can't take it. The flames and questions you had for Manacloud about the OC3 tournament look like an exact replica of the posts coming at you post pound V. The flames you had for Mana were certainly justified, what happened at pound V was WORSE. First of all, the people who placed in the money did get paid something. It was nowhere near what they deserved from all of the entries, but they did get rewarded. Second, people knew they were getting ripped off the whole time about going to OC3. They told everyone they were charging bukou bucks for dvds of the matches while not allowing anyone to record in the venue. They let everyone know they would have to fork out loads of money for a chance to play with the Japanese. I believe approximately the same amount of pot money went where it should not gave gone, the TO's bank account. They let them know beforehand how crazy the venue fee was. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

It sucks that you and the winners are in this situation after all the work, I feel for you in that regard. The way you're going about it, it makes people only wish the worst for you quite honestly, at least for me.
Who are you?

Oh, really? No one important? Big surprise there.

You're about 68 pages late.

tl; dr

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Despite the fact that I did not place top 8 in any event at Pound 5, and in fact did not even attend Pound 5, I HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS MATTER

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
Damn, people really enjoy saying the same **** over and over again. Everytime I come to this thread, 3 is always here...

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Meh, you know nothing about me.
I don't need to because your background isn't relavent.

It seems all you do is post and insult people
Stop. Now. This couldn't be more wrong. At all. And just shows you're speaking without even reading any of the posts I've made. You're making your self look extremely foolish already.

but cannot except the reality that what he did was wrong and he owes the people who placed into the money for this competition.
I have never said plank was right in anyway. I've never excused him in any of my posts. If anything most of my posts are aimed at the community and how they should improve.

Again. Stop making yourself look foolish.

This has NOTHING to do with lessons that shall be learned (Sure, you can learn something, but that isn't the point of this thread in the first place). This has to do with PAYING WHAT HE OWES.
The purpose of this thread is not about lessons learned, no. But that doesn't mean it can't be talked about.

Like really. Do us a favor and read peoples' post more, especially if they're directed at you.

And I insulted no one. If you think I insulted you, think again. I called you obvious, which is a neutral character trait, and also true simply through your previous posts.

I'm done with you man. Real talk.

Thino

Smash Master
phew finally read through all the 69 pages

so what are the people that are owed money gonna do finally? are you guys finally gonna sue him ( or try ) ? or going with what Peepee said and try to let him organize a tournament to refund you guys ?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
If people would make donation tournaments that would be much appreciated. I don't think that will happen though. I am going to try to get back my own money through asking for donations (like 100 or so) for training people all day or stuff like that since that's the only thing I am really good at that I could make money from right now outside tournaments. If anyone is interested in this at all please send me a PM. I am working on helping out DrPP Armada Amsah Ally and other top players in different ways in the future to undo the damage that was done here.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
interestingly enough, only brawl players are still complaining.
what is it about that game that transforms men into crying girls?

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I don't understand why people say "the brawl player is blah blah blah." They deserve their money as much as anyone else. If anything, I'd rather complain than be a door mat that anyone can walk all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom