• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
Google already won the thread, but let's keep this going anyways.
We're immature Smash players afterall. Every single one of us.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Hey, I have a better idea:
How about getting a job? Or finishing college or something like that?

Yeah, that sure would be a lot more creative than wasting you life by playing a figgin' videogame which will NOT give you a career or a job on any industry.

Oh hell, who am I to tell you what to do? I'm only a guy making $3000 a month, not living off on my mothers money, like some people seem to be doing.
I'm a teenager that lives with his mommy and daddy and currently resides in high school, dip****.

BUT OKAY, I'll just walk into a dentist office and start working immediately, sir!

S0FT

Smash Ace
Pierce, in this thread at least, has been pretty on point...
I don't think anyone commented on it. But nice response to plainks most recent post.
I pretty much agreed on everything you said.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Lol ADHD i hope you never get paid.
You are completely devoid of reason, understanding, logic, or reading comprehension and one of the worst people to post on the subject.

shoutouts to all the other players who deserve money tho, i feel for the kids <3

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol ADHD i hope you never get paid.
You are completely devoid of reason, understanding, logic, or reading comprehension and one of the worst people to post on the subject.

shoutouts to all the other players who deserve money tho, i feel for the kids <3
Suck my cawk and swallow.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Community service is voluntary and not a job. The same thing usually applies for soup kitchens.

And when its not voluntary
Min wage is $7.00, even 20 hours (4 hours/day for 5 days a week) of that is $140 week=$125/week

Please let me know of a region that someone can reliably make that much money and I'll shut up.

How is making money illegally related to deciding if a hobby can be considered a job? Does anyone try to make a hobby out of selling drugs?

Any other stupid claims you'd like me to disprove?
ill accept the fact that i wasnt 100% clear but it was still obvious i was talking about the people who need to go to a soup kitchen to get food. they ahve jobs and they still dont have enough money to feed themselvers or their family. maybe if u didn live in a fantasy world and entered the real one ud see that their are people out their struggling to make ends meet with a job but still cant buy food. and according to you those people dont have actual jobs. Also, had m2k not been banned from MLG dallas and he won it, he'd have made close to that amount if u combine the winning of the season.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
If you guys would read my entire post you'd realize it was meant as it's unfortunate FOR EVERYBODY INVOLVED that the event happened the way it did. I wasn't bashing other Smash Tourneys or telling people to be fearful of future tourneys, I was stating that not filling up a hotel and losing a lot of money can happen to anyone who doesn't plan well, sucks it had to be Pound V cause of the history and all the players involved that didn't get paid. That is what is unfortunate. Flat out it sucks, Plank Messed up, People got screwed.

To the one throwing out numbers about debt, I was generalizing how much Credit Card Debt can add up over time since Plank obviously doesn't have the money to pay his account right away and that could lead to worse things for him. Now if the numbers added up that someone posted and plank ended up in the positive for himself, then I myself will drive to his house and get the winner's money for them. But I don't see that as the case, He's in a deep hole now.

S0FT

Smash Ace
That seems to be the problem though. He doesnt plan to pay anyone back. So there are no consequences. He is not in a deep hole. Armada and ?M2k? (idk about anyone else who didnt get paid) are in a deep hole. Other then being a little embarrassed and losing his good reputation with a couple of smashers he is doing just fine lol.

S0FT

Smash Ace
I only say that because people keep saying plank has to deal with the consequences. Nope. Armada m2k and everyone who didnt get paid has to deal with the consequences of planks actions, but I feel reaallll sorry for plank that Armada and M2k have to pay for the mistakes made at this tournament.

Armada

Smash Lord
Almost read the entire thread now.

People have to stop talk so much ****,seriously.
I wanna say thanks to the people how defend me (you guys know who you are).

BUT some people seems to try saying I ****ed up.
If Im not get my money how I clearly should have get it´s not my fault.
k
The Swedes waited for me in 7-9 days (something like that) and I said "I will send a PM to plank and ask how much I get"

I send a PM didn´t get a anwser so I booked my tickets a couple days later.
I heard before Pound he would move to Cali (or something like that) so I thought he needed some time there to handle that situation.

Now I need to pay people back but I can´t see how this is my fault cause who saw this one coming?
I really wanted go to Genesis and it´s expenssive enough to fly to US so often so icouldn´t wait (ofc i counted on getting my money. Who didn´t?).

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I'm sure everyone, including plank, agrees he did a bad job at planning from the begining. So what changed?
sigh, lemme evaluate my post for you.

his first post said that something like "this could happen at ANY major tournament."
with that post almost sounded like defending, or justifying planks actions, since this COULD happen at any given tournament.

so i emphasized the fact that anything CAN happen at a tournament, but that doesn't justify it, nor does it make it likely to happen just because it can.

then he posted again saying "to anyone who doesn't plan well"
meaning his post turned from defending/justifying plank's actions [in my eyes] to 'if you don't plan well, you'll **** up" which doesn't sound very defending of plank obviously.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
@Armada: sorry dude :/ I hope no one is trying to say it is your fault

S0FT

Smash Ace
Lol armada edit that and post this.

People have to stop talking so much ****, seriously.
I wanna say thanks to the people who defended me (you guys know who you are).

BUT some people seem to be saying I ****ed up.
If I didn't get my money that I clearly should have received, it's not my fault.
k
The Swedes waited for me for 7-9 days (something like that) and I said "I will send a PM to plank and ask how much I get"

I sent a PM and didn't get an answer, so I booked my tickets a couple days later.
I heard before Pound he would move to Cali (or something like that) so I thought he needed some time there to handle that situation.

Now I need to pay people back but I can´t see how this is my fault cause who saw this one coming?
I really wanted go to Genesis and it´s expensive enough to fly to the US so often so I couldn't wait (ofc i counted on getting my money. Who wouldn't?).

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
The smash community acts way too friendy friendy sometimes. Not all of you are best ****ing friends and have some ephemeral connection, those who are at losses for participating in Pound have every right to seek their rewards. Those in the position should sue; Plank has quite the comeuppance.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
edit:: Oh and the people saying I was planning to just bail and move to California, I was planning on moving to California long ago and it fell through, I havent had intentions on doing that for months which I have vocalized many times. Again people exaggerating and saying **** that isn't true.
Plank is a ****ing joke. All he has is words. No actions. No money.
Have fun in Cali. We don't need you here.

He's not moving to Cali. do you even read posts before you post?

I send a PM didn´t get a anwser so I booked my tickets a couple days later.
clearly come confusion going on =\

Armada: nothing's your fault. simple as that.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Before Pound, Plank stated he was moving across the country. I believe he said this is why that this Pound was the last, though he may continue to host once he gets settled down.

Now, after this, Plank no longer intends to go through with the move.

Volroth

Smash Journeyman
I think many people would have used the pot money to save themselves from extreme amounts of debt but it's wrong. Take the hit and thing's would've been better off than now. I bet the community would have helped him.

He has hosted sucessful tournaments before and to mess up is a shame. You pay for the venue + setups with your own pocket or have a small venue fee and thats it. Don't understand all the deal with the hotel. Shouldn't the attendees be booking their own travel and rooming? All the TO has to do is get the venue and setups rest is on everyone else. Also don't touch the pot no matter what.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I think many people would have used the pot money to save themselves from extreme amounts of debt but it's wrong. Take the hit and thing's would've been better off than now. I bet the community would have helped him.

He has hosted sucessful tournaments before and to mess up is a shame. You pay for the venue + setups with your own pocket or have a small venue fee and thats it. Don't understand all the deal with the hotel. Shouldn't the attendees be booking their own travel and rooming? All the TO has to do is get the venue and setups rest is on everyone else. Also don't touch the pot no matter what.
Unfortunately anytime you book an event at ANY big Hotel, filling Room Blocks are a requirement, that is pretty much how they make their money off of the event by filling up all of their vacant rooms with group rates. Any major convention like SpookyFest or just about every Anime Convention succeed by filling up the hotel rooms. The Benefit of booking at a Major Hotel Venue is you don't have to pay for tables, chairs, some equipment, etc. If you book elsewhere like I did last year in a Fairgrounds Airplane Hanger basically, you just pay for it but then you pay to rent chairs, tables, etc as well as you have to pretty much bring EVERYTHING yourself.

For so many out of town travelers the logical thing is to book hotel venues with big convention spaces. And that is a pretty big commitment that's why you should do your best to talk them down on room blocks to the best you can as well as offer incentives for people to attend your event by booking at your hotel IE give them a free event badge if they book for over 2 nights.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Before Pound, Plank stated he was moving across the country. I believe he said this is why that this Pound was the last, though he may continue to host once he gets settled down.

Now, after this, Plank no longer intends to go through with the move.
yeah i was just implying how not that many ppl knew his current status

thanks for the confirm tho :)

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
plank made the right call, I wouldn't trust this horrible community to bail him out, seeing as some are threatening to sue. I'm really disappointed in the reaction.
he tried to help, and has been a driving force behind this community for many years, the community owes him one.

Smash Master
Getting struck by lightning could happen to anyone.

Booking a $20,000 venue and coming up $10,000 short can only happen to someone with very poor planning.

The difference is the moral assumption of responsibility is higher in the latter case.

Volroth

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately anytime you book an event at ANY big Hotel, filling Room Blocks are a requirement, that is pretty much how they make their money off of the event by filling up all of their vacant rooms with group rates. Any major convention like SpookyFest or just about every Anime Convention succeed by filling up the hotel rooms. The Benefit of booking at a Major Hotel Venue is you don't have to pay for tables, chairs, some equipment, etc. If you book elsewhere like I did last year in a Fairgrounds Airplane Hanger basically, you just pay for it but then you pay to rent chairs, tables, etc as well as you have to pretty much bring EVERYTHING yourself.

For so many out of town travelers the logical thing is to book hotel venues with big convention spaces. And that is a pretty big commitment that's why you should do your best to talk them down on room blocks to the best you can as well as offer incentives for people to attend your event by booking at your hotel IE give them a free event badge if they book for over 2 nights.
Thanks for the info.

Have the majority of national tournaments been booked at major hotels or have they been their own separate venue? Because I think being separate makes things a lot easier. You're not attached to the hotel, forced to fill rooms and relying on other people to come to make the event a sucess.

When in doubt if you don't have the money don't expect to run a sucessful tournament.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I have a question:

Why don't we give plank a chance to at least redeem himself/pay the winners back like he said could through other tournaments? I'm sure he could find a way to use a side tourney or something to raise money for the winners of pound 5. Hating him and never letting him host again when he could use that ability to atone for his actions seems like a huge lose/lose for all of us.

I also think it's safe to say he wouldn't be taking any more big risks with the venue or the prize money at this point as well.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I suggested something like that but he said "Well since the whole community is being this way I'm not going to host", he said along the lines of that.

Hopefully he will.

boredsmash

Smash Rookie
Plank its not about what you deserve being in the smash community for 5 years or whatever

its about what is just. winners were promised money from some distribution of the pot. And ALL of the entrance fees should have gone to the pot.

The issue with the hotel was no one's fault but your own, which does not justify not paying the winners.
Some players (Armada) came to the tournament with the intention of winning back the money it costed him to come here. Its not fair to gyp the players out of the money.

Looking back in hindsight, getting hotel rooms for people probly was not a good idea. Let ppl get their own rooms.

JPOBS

Smash Hero

and then plank wonders how he got screwed over by people when some can't even read :urg:

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I dont even care if plank hosts, just dont get an expensive venue. We came to play and compete, not to enjoy the beautiful walls and floors. If Plank tried something, it'd be a true hero to me instead of what he's been doing or saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom