• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJRome

Smash Hero
again, ignore all of the african and middle eastern violence then. we're all affected as part of humanity

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I'm just upset I haven't seen Plank say if the winners will eventually get paid. Or perhaps I missed it.

Will they ever get paid?

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Jebailey's been reading the thread for awhile now. I'm awaiting a response since hes a pretty respected TO to the SRK community.
I'm trying to work lol and I see this thread blowing up so quickly. Not sure how many of the Smashers will appreciate my opinion and what I have to say won't change the situation at all but I'll give my opinion in a little bit after I catch up at work.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I only read the first couple paragraphs of your recent post Plank.

Expecting players to actually stay in 4 a room IS STUPID

You know how smashers are. Giving them this rule and them knowing that they probably won't get in trouble for putting 10+ in a room = them not following the rule.

Don't blame the smash community for that. Banking on the fact that people would only do 4 people per room is completely irresponsible.

MLG was supposed to be a limited amount of players per room with security guards roaming the hallways and NO ONE was caught when they had 12 people in a room.

Just saying that expecting smashers to stay 4 in a room is just dumb given how they and other fighting communities stay 10+ per room all the time for year and years.

thethethelyme

Smash Cadet
ok lets see how many things we can compare that have nothing to do with eachother.. uh
civil rights/ computer monitors
baseball/18th century poets
niel diamond/ bananas

just one more. lets see, o i know
middle eastern and african violence/ pound 5.... ( good one jrome)
i like this game :)

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Reading this thread with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPH7LXPZFBo

almost made me teary eyed.

Can we please stop fighting? What will it solve?

Sure, I didn't get paid the $700. Heck, I don't even get a fund thing like Armada, PP, and M2K do.

But I've forgiven and forgotten already. I encourage you to do the same, for the sake of whatever part of a community we have left.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i can't believe people are actually supporting plank, or saying they 'understand'. How can you understand? Honestly.........

He overbooks a hotel [his decision] and makes all these deals with the hotel[his decision] so he can get some sweet venue, problem is, plank didn't realize not every single person that says will show will. so he lucks out, since he never gave out the prizes. Now if this were say, genesis, the TO woulda had to figure this out on his own, like a real man [since the winnings are given out immediately after]. but NO, instead he steals the winnings to save his own ***.

yes, STOLE. of course it was great that he decided to run pound, but in the end he took on the responsibility of TO'ng, and he made a MASSIVE mistake with the hotel, he lucked out SO bad by holding on to the winners money. It really was their money, he was just holding it. I don't see how this isn't stealing. The only reason it's not considered stealing is because it's smash, but you did actually use money that didn't belong to you anymore, AT ALL.

and then he tries to ****in throw the blame on smashers for the hotels and ****, YOU RUN THIS, WE DON'T. YOU NOT EXPECTING SMASHERS TO JAM INTO ROOMS IS COMPLETELY YOUR FAULT.

every single thing involving anything going wrong with the hotel is your fault plank, your responsibility, not anyone elses.

Next I want to address the people saying I am STEALING. The EVENT was not a successful EVENT as far as money goes. I took funds for the EVENT to pay off the EVENT or the EVENT would not have happened, period. I don't have funds of my own to cover the venue and the event would NOT have happened at all, so there was really not a choice like it is being gossipped around. Like I had some sort of cash for the prizes and just gave it to the hotel who was like "Hey man yea just pay us off whenever, it's no problem". No, they want the money up front.
Right, but the event was not successful because of YOU. You made deals with the hotel. You saying you took money from the winners so you could pay off something that was on your end, and completely your fault sounds like stealing to me. Of course there was a choice, it was either steal the money, or figure it out like anyone else that didn't have had the money would have done.

do you not realize that none of this would have happened if things were PLANNED PROPERLY? If you hadn't made some ******* deal with the hotel, you didn't expect this problem because you didn't plan properly. i'm exaggerating here that PLANKS MISTAKE COSTED EVERYONE ELSE 10GRAND. and you guys 'understand' and **** because he had to use the money?! i don't ****ing get any of you who defend him, PLEASE argue with me if your one of them.

this is no different than someone making a big money mistake, and stealing others money to make up for it, only difference is plank didn't have to go out to steal the money, it was in the palm of his hands already, because people TRUSTED you. i doubt anyone will again, though i doubt you care.

Reading this thread with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPH7LXPZFBo

almost made me teary eyed.

Can we please stop fighting? What will it solve?

Sure, I didn't get paid the $700. Heck, I don't even get a fund thing like Armada, PP, and M2K do.

But I've forgiven and forgotten already. I encourage you to do the same, for the sake of whatever part of a community we have left.
it's seriously too unjust to just let be, especially the way plank has been acting about it, to throw blame anywhere but himself is ridiculous.

skins

Smash Rookie
Am I missing something here?

Plank clearly defrauded every entrant into his tournament.

Enter wikipedias definition of fraud:

Common law fraud has nine elements:

1. a representation of an existing fact; There would be a prize pool based on the number of entrants.

2. its materiality; Smashers would not have been there without the prize pool.

3. its falsity;
There was no prize pool.

4. the speaker's knowledge of its falsity;
Plank knew beforehand that the money would be used to cover hotel fees and not a prize pool

5. the speaker's intent that it shall be acted upon by the plaintiff;
Plank's misrepresentation was created to get people to come to the tournament

6. plaintiff's ignorance of its falsity; Nobody knew they wouldn't get winnings

7. plaintiff's reliance on the truth of the representation;
Entrants were there and paid into a pot in hopes of receiving winnings.

8. plaintiff's right to rely upon it;
Entrants had every reason to believe they would make money with a top finish

9. consequent damages suffered by plaintiff.
Top finishers that should have made considerable winnings were denied them.

The fact that Plank misrepresented was that top entrants into his tournament would split a prize pool.
They would not be there if not for that prize pool. Its a pathetic mess that Plank himself created and money is owed

Too bad he is broke and what are you guys gonna do...sue and garnish his wages (you could but whats the point)??

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
hbox i had one person say he'll give me a bit and no one else do anything and that is not the point the point is thieves should not be able to get away with it like this and it was his responsiblity to pay out what he owes. He went out of his way to make sure he didn't mention payouts in the thread so he couldn't be sued. He CLEARLY had the intentions of doing this from the start as Hax already said. Now he's lying and not even apologizing

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
DJRome is killin it

Plank is a ****ing joke. All he has is words. No actions. No money.

I want NUMBERS.
Chibo is trying to find the NUMBERS.

Why are you not telling us the numbers Plank. Oh, because you don't know them. You don't care about the winners getting paid. All you care about is yourself. That's it.

either you are in debt x ammout of dollars or you made a profit. How much are you in debt?

YOU STILL HAVE NOT MADE ANY PUBLIC EFFORT TO PAY OFF THE WINNERS.
YOU STILL ARE NOT TAKING TOTAL BLAME.
YOU ARE A WEAK SAUCE.

Have fun in Cali. We don't need you here.

AND GROW SOME BALLS AND GIVE THE WINNERS WHAT THEY EARNED.
STOP BULL****TING.

Renth

Smash Hero
DJRome is killin it

Plank is a ****ing joke. All he has is words. No actions. No money.

I want NUMBERS.
Chibo is trying to find the NUMBERS.

Why are you not telling us the numbers Plank. Oh, because you don't know them. You don't care about the winners getting paid. All you care about is yourself. That's it.

either you are in debt x ammout of dollars or you made a profit. How much are you in debt?

YOU STILL HAVE NOT MADE ANY PUBLIC EFFORT TO PAY OFF THE WINNERS.
YOU STILL ARE NOT TAKING TOTAL BLAME.
YOU ARE A WEAK SAUCE.

Have fun in Cali. We don't need you here.

AND GROW SOME BALLS AND GIVE THE WINNERS WHAT THEY EARNED.
STOP BULL****TING.
He's not moving to Cali. do you even read posts before you post? let me show you what your posts look like to everyone else.

MEWTWOKING IS FROM CANADA

DJ ROME IS PART OF THE KKK

PLANK HAS MOVED TO AUSTRILA WITH YOUR MONEY!!

LOOK OUT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THERE WILL BE A WAR TO BE HAD

CANADA VS AUSTRILA FULL ON MOOSE KANGAROO WAR FARE. OOHHH SHIII

skins

Smash Rookie
Your honor if you'll direct your attention to this Wikipedia article.....
wiki is simple for smashers to understand. Tort law in this country is simple. If you fulfill the elements of the tort you will have a ruling in your favor. even wiki can get those elements right. its not complex. fraud is fraud.

From www.fraudlaw.org:

To sustain a finding of common law fraud, the trial court in most cases must make findings of fact as to each of the nine elements of fraud. Howell v. Kraft, 10 Wash. App. 266, 517 P.2d 203 (1973). Those elements generally are: (1) a representation of an existing fact, (2) its materiality, (3) its falsity, (4) the speaker's knowledge of its falsity or ignorance of its truth, (5) his intent that it should be acted on by the person to whom it is made, (6) ignorance of its falsity on the part of the person to whom it is made, (7) the latter's reliance on the truth of the representation, (8) his right to rely upon it, and (9) his consequent damage.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
@ Plank: I can tell you right now that what m2k said about Pound 4 is legit. Everything else he said, I can't confirm.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Talking about MUCH more important things than the current topic at hand..

i saw that entrance and crapped my pants
Duuuuude.
I KNOW.
And did you hear Trish Stratus is coming back?
Its hype x1000. I have not seen wrestling in several years. But I might pick it back up cause of this. I said to myself when the rock came back "Ya know..this would be more epic if Stone Cold came back"...

Two weeks later...

O_O

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
I don't accept Wut he did and its messed up for the winnerz. No one ask it to be in the hyatt or open 24hrs or for him to tell the hotel he could sell x amount of rooms. Wut is going to happen is people aren't going to show up to tournaments that don't pay upfront cuzz of **** like this.. legally though it would just b seen as illegal gambling nd plank would b in trouble nd still no one would get paid.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Talking about MUCH more important things than the current topic at hand..

Duuuuude.
I KNOW.
And did you hear Trish Stratus is coming back?
Its hype x1000. I have not seen wrestling in several years. But I might pick it back up cause of this. I said to myself when the rock came back "Ya know..this would be more epic if Stone Cold came back"...

Two weeks later...

O_O
trish stratus is so bangin. wrestling is the best fake **** in the world.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
This is a complex issue. It isn't as simple as "He frauded everything, therefore let's sue his *** to get the money back!", nor is it as understanding as, "he threw a great event and circumstances out of his control caused this mayhem, let's forgive him!"

On the one hand, Plank was foolish in his expectations and not accounting for what would eventually cause all this. And still now, his logic in saying the money is to be used at his discretion and NOT to pay out the winners is facepalm worthy. The venue fee is to cover what the TO needs, the rest is what people pay to both play in the tournament and (should they perform well) get paid from the tournament. It's how it's always worked. In this regard, Plank is a fool for not admitting the money was owed from the getgo.

However, things did happen where a lot more money was needed to fund the tournament. Should Plank have used the winners money to pay it? No. Was there no other option? Probably. I feel like it's something he should never have done but I emphasize with him being forced into a corner about it. It was also INCREDIBLY immoral to wait TWO WHOLE WEEKS to notify anyone of this. Should have told everyone about it the Tuesday after the damn tourny and then dipped.

I don't know what to think, this is like arguing about abortion

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
@ Plank: I can tell you right now that what m2k said about Pound 4 is legit. Everything else he said, I can't confirm.
Even the part were WK bribed Plank 20 Dollars ?

That's on some next level **** haha

GOTM

Smash Champion
Plank doesn't know how to say he ****ed up without tacking on an excuse. That's all the community REALLY wants. You think those players think they are getting their money? **** no. lol. If they do they're idiots.

Just say YOU ****ED UP, and the community didn't do **** wrong. If the rooms was that big of an issue you should of made it mandatory from the beginning, not asked politely.

By the way, it isn't just smashers who don't follow rules. If I told my closest friends to do something, 50/50 it would happen, lol.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I don't know what to think, this is like arguing about abortion
not really, since theres no positive moral out of what he did.

him being forced into spending the money doesn't justify ANYTHING, being cornered into something that was your fault from the beginning.

ProTip

Smash Rookie
Has anyone noticed that everybody who's writing cry-baby bull**** here and whining about these things, are all people who play Brawl? LOL.
Just thought to point this out, because THAT is some funny **** if you ask me.

Just goes to show that some people are crybaby *****es over things that they don't even have the slightest idea about nor that don't even include them.

For ****s sake, some of the people that keep whining here WEREN'T EVEN THERE IN P5.

Get a life *******.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Yea that's what someone told me. So that is true unless the person that told me was lying to me. But with everything else that I know for sure, I highly doubt that. That is the only thing that I have said that I am not absolutely 100% sure on, but I am still pretty sure that probably happened because it follows the pattern of how he acts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom