• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The problem both of you would have with that is, going by everyone else on the roster, Ridley WOULD use his Other M design, seeing as Sammy is her Other M design (for the suit, and just based on it for ZSS), and basically everyone else is using a design based on their latest appearance. The exceptions are Link and Zelda, seeing as Ganondorf and Sheik weren't in Skyward Sword, so having SS Link/Zelda alongside TP Ganondorf and Sheik wouldn't make sense. Which then begs the question of what design Impa would have. She wasn't in TP, though her SS design wouldn't be out of place among them, to me.
We also have Toon Link, so I don't think that's necessarily an issue. Plus, Sheik wasn't in TP either; her design was updated in Brawl to fit what she probably would've looked like in TP, had she been in. Impa could get a similar look. Plus, with the announcement that 8 color variations are available this time around, it's fully possible that Link and Zelda have SS variations available.

I still doubt Impa is in. I just don't see the point when we already have Sheik. So many better options, in terms of potential movesets, from the Zelda series.

EDIT: Wait. Impa would be the perfect alternate costume to Sheik, rather than a "Skyward Sword" version. Right?

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Also I have no idea if one of the Villagers custom was intended to look like Nesses shirt but maybe it was hinting we might see a Ness reveal soon?
Nope. It's because all the Villager alts (except Racer 6) are default outfits+faces+hair combos you can get in Wild World & City Folk.

I am pretty positive we're not getting any more character reveals leading into the release unless there's a last minute SSB direct that just reveals them all.

We also have Toon Link, so I don't think that's necessarily an issue. Plus, Sheik wasn't in TP either; her design was updated in Brawl to fit what she probably would've looked like in TP, had she been in. Impa could get a similar look. Plus, with the announcement that 8 color variations are available this time around, it's fully possible that Link and Zelda have SS variations available.

I still doubt Impa is in. I just don't see the point when we already have Sheik. So many better options, in terms of potential movesets, from the Zelda series.
Technically, they updated Toon Link to be TP-like in Brawl. Regardless, he's a special case, since he's from a different set of Zelda games. Ridley would have to be consistent with Samus. And I really doubt we're getting an SS Link costume, since I am assuming Sakurai thinks the Skyloft recolor is sufficient. Zelda still has a chance, but I'm not holding my breath.

And the better option was cutting Sheik entirely and replacing her with Impa, since Sheik doesn't even make sense now that Zelda's split.

Last edited:

Spice.

Smash Rookie
Quite frankly, I think the only way Ridley is getting in is if it's with one of his more recognizable iterations.

But I'm not huge on metroid, so what do I know.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad

We do know Link has an alt that looks like his starting tunic in SS, so likely yes.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

I don't really think Toon Link would count. He was purposely made to represent the art style he's in, which is also why his name is Toon Link.

The rest of the Zelda crew's designs are consistent because they all came from one game. And (correct me if I'm wrong) but they didn't make up Shiek's design for Brawl. IIRC, there was concept art of TP that originally had Shiek.

EDIT: ...But then again, I can sort of see Impa making an exception and gets in the game with her SS design. I guess we'll wait and see.

Last edited:

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Off-topic of the past few posts but oddly on-topic to the thread, I wonder if Smashboards has gone ahead and made icons for DHD, Bowser Jr., Ganon, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit yet.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Nope. It's because all the Villager alts (except Racer 6) are default outfits+faces+hair combos you can get in Wild World & City Folk.

I am pretty positive we're not getting any more character reveals leading into the release unless there's a last minute SSB direct that just reveals them all.
I really hate the one with the Yellow and blue strips... just look at it.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
Quite frankly, I think the only way Ridley is getting in is if it's with one of his more recognizable iterations.

But I'm not huge on metroid, so what do I know.
your profile picture is the best one I have ever seen

Naoshi

Also I have no idea if one of the Villagers custom was intended to look like Ness' shirt but maybe it was hinting we might see a Ness reveal soon?
I don't think they would go out of their way to make someone's alt to resemble another character just for a reveal hint. The alt costume is only shown because they're showing off the rest of the Villager's alt.

Naoshi

Some of the Villager alts are really creepy
Quite fitting to the psychopathic killer representation that Villager has been getting... D: Even Conan thinks he's a psychopath killer puppet!

Somehow Animal Crossing may not be such a happy and friendly game after all... 'O';;

Last edited:

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Latest incarnations don't mean ****. Where's Skyward Link and Zelda?
Have you read the past page? We just discussed this. That would be highly incongruent due to Ganondorf and Sheik not being in SS. Everyone uses their most recent design, with the exception of Link and Zelda for that specific reason - the last time all 3 of the Trinity appeared together was Twilight Princess (plus Sheik's TP concept art). Having L/Z running their SS designs and pairing them with TP G/S would be extremely odd and distracting.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
Quite fitting to the psychopathic killer representation that Villager has been getting... D: Even Conan thinks he's a psychopath killer puppet!

Somehow Animal Crossing may not be such a happy and friendly game after all... 'O';;
that's what happens when you give a character spoons for hands :/

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Latest incarnations don't mean ****. Where's Skyward Link and Zelda?
I think a lot of Brawl vets didn't get a new costume treatment to save time and focus on newcomers. Samus and ZSS got overhauled in their movesets, and the character models reflect that. Link, Zelda, Sheik and (presumably) Ganon didn't get any real overhaul, so Sakurai may have simply deemed a SS update as unimportant.

Still, I'd hoped to see it, even though I prefer the TP designs. It's just cool seeing how Smash evolves alongside Nintendo in general.

Naoshi

To be honest, I'm kind of glad with they went the TP designs. Don't have a thing against SS Zelda's design, but I felt TP Zelda's design fits in Smash Bros far better.

Though personally I would've liked them to go with OoT/MM designs since I like it better when Link's tunic was more green, it looks kind of desaturated now... well at least in the Wii U version. I recall he looks more saturated in 3DS

Last edited:

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
everybody keeps saying "oh samus is other m and its most recent" well pac-man is in and he isn't in his ghostly adventure form. Sakurai even said he considered doing that form aka HIS MOST RECENT FORM but opted to do the pacman land form, aka NOT HIS MOST RECENT FORM. if they wont put characters in there more recent form for some, then why do it for ridley imo

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
everybody keeps saying "oh samus is other m and its most recent" well pac-man is in and he isn't in his ghostly adventure form. Sakurai even said he considered doing that form aka HIS MOST RECENT FORM but opted to do the pacman land form, aka NOT HIS MOST RECENT FORM. if they wont put characters in there more recent form for some, then why do it for ridley imo
*sigh* Because then you have the jarring difference between Other M Samus and Super Metroid Ridley. Pac-Man has no other reps with which to compare, thus making your point irrelevant. Ike and Marth have their updated Awakening designs, Bowser is more cartoony now, Little Mac is the Wii version, etc etc. The exceptions are Link and Zelda for reasons previously explained by myself.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Question; Are Ridley and Meta Ridley the same character/person? And if I'm not mistaken, the Ridley in Other M is a clone of the original Ridley... right?

Spice.

Smash Rookie
I agree for the most part. It comes down to stylistic preference. Whether a certain design is the most recent only matters with regards to keeping some consistency within the same series. Certainly, different series' can be more or less recent than others, but I think that Sakurai will try to be consistent as to how a series is represented. Consistency is actually an important element in design.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
No they don't. Ike's outfit is from Radiant Dawn and Marth's is just kind of... updated.
Marth has been the same since melee. That's it.
*sigh* Because then you have the jarring difference between Other M Samus and Super Metroid Ridley. Pac-Man has no other reps with which to compare, thus making your point irrelevant. Ike and Marth have their updated Awakening designs, Bowser is more cartoony now, Little Mac is the Wii version, etc etc. The exceptions are Link and Zelda for reasons previously explained by myself.
Bowser isn't cartoony he just has different colors to match the art style and actually runs now. Little mac on the wii is the same as the NES. Even if ridley is in his other m form, that's the stage hazard ridley, from other m, sakurai can do whatever he wants with character designs and what they look like, not what WE necessarily want them to look like.

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
Question; Are Ridley and Meta Ridley the same character/person? And if I'm not mistaken, the Ridley in Other M is a clone of the original Ridley... right?
Depends on which one, Meta Ridley from Prime is I believe to be the same Ridley from Metroid 1. Afterwards I think most were either clones or recreations like the fully metal Ridley (Zero Mission or Fusion, I don't remember.) Other M's Ridley was a manufactured clone, yes.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
I agree for the most part. It comes down to stylistic preference. Whether a certain design is the most recent only matters with regards to keeping some consistency within the same series. Certainly, different series' can be more or less recent than others, but I think that Sakurai will try to be consistent as to how a series is represented. Consistency is actually an important element in design.
I know that, but what if megaman was given his look from legends. people would probably flip out. that's why just because of a more recent design doesn't necessarily mean people like the more recent designs.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
His general design has remained the same, but I mean he still gets his colors and stuff updated.
well yeah but that really all depends on the art style of smash. brawl was darker while this one has more "variation" if you will

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So which is better,

The Duck Hunt Duck's neck

Or

Ridley's neck?

We've had plenty of discussion on both in this thread, I think we should start preparing our final arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom