• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Marth has been the same since melee. That's it.

Bowser isn't cartoony he just has different colors to match the art style and actually runs now. Little mac on the wii is the same as the NES. Even if ridley is in his other m form, that's the stage hazard ridley, from other m, sakurai can do whatever he wants with character designs and what they look like, not what WE necessarily want them to look like.
You're not listening. Other M Samus and Super Metroid Ridley wouldn't mesh. You wouldn't have two entirely different design eras from the same franchise as defaults. Again, it would be like having SS Link and Zelda side by side with TP Ganondorf and Sheik. It would look really awkward and bad, so they have to keep consistency across characters from one franchise for their defaults. Next you'll say Brawl Bowser should've stayed over the new Bowser, because he totally wouldn't be jarringly different or anything.

Spice.

Smash Rookie
I know that, but what if megaman was given his look from legends. people would probably flip out. that's why just because of a more recent design doesn't necessarily mean people like the more recent designs.
That is fair enough, but in Ridley's case they are inclined to represent him from the same series as ZSS and Sams has been, whether or not it is more recent. In this case it just happens to be Other M (?).

Your point about recency with regards to people liking it more is on point, but I don't think it's necessarily a factor in Ridley's design.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Depends on which one, Meta Ridley from Prime is I believe to be the same Ridley from Metroid 1. Afterwards I think most were either clones or recreations like the fully metal Ridley (Zero Mission or Fusion, I don't remember.) Other M's Ridley was a manufactured clone, yes.
So that means there's more than one "Ridley", yes? So why not have it work the same way ST Toon Link and WW Toon Link do? It could work, seeing as how there's more than one "Ridley". Like maybe the original Ridley or Meta Ridley or some other version can be the stage hazard while the Other M Ridley is the playable character. In the end, they're technically not the same person

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
So which is better,

The Duck Hunt Duck's neck

Or

Ridley's neck?

We've had plenty of discussion on both in this thread, I think we should start preparing our final arguments.
Obviously the DHD... Besides, necks are a integral part of his character because they are the base of the relationship with the ducks...

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
So that means there's more than one "Ridley", yes? So why not have it work the same way ST Toon Link and WW Toon Link do? It could work, seeing as how there's more than one "Ridley". Like maybe the original Ridley or Meta Ridley or some other version can be the stage hazard while the Other M Ridley is the playable character. In the end, they're technically not the same person
Then that's a consistency issue with the stage. Why is Prime Ridley in Pyrosphere instead of Other M Ridley? There's no workaround to the issue of consistency, no matter how hard you try.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
Can we all just agree that Square Enix are a bunch of tools for not allowing Geno in Smash 4.
You're not listening. Other M Samus and Super Metroid Ridley wouldn't mesh. You wouldn't have two entirely different design eras from the same franchise as defaults. Again, it would be like having SS Link and Zelda side by side with TP Ganondorf and Sheik. It would look really awkward and bad, so they have to keep consistency across characters from one franchise for their defaults. Next you'll say Brawl Bowser should've stayed over the new Bowser, because he totally wouldn't be jarringly different or anything.
Im listening and I understand where you come from, I just feel that not every character has to be updated in their franchise. I understand that having Other M samus and super Metroid ridley would be a little weird, but in the end he is still the same space pirate dragon we love, or hate. His abilities are all the same, nothing is different except that design. plus when people think of ridley, they think of super Metroid ridley, not other m ridley. either way id be fine with either one, I believe its all just preference. sorry if im making you frustrated.
by god I've started a Ridley argument, what monster am I?
not as big of a monster as villager that's for sure
That is fair enough, but in Ridley's case they are inclined to represent him from the same series as ZSS and Sams has been, whether or not it is more recent. In this case it just happens to be Other M (?).

Your point about recency with regards to people liking it more is on point, but I don't think it's necessarily a factor in Ridley's design.
I believe it really is all preference, sakurai just needs a way to make it work while having that ridley stage boss and a playable one

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Question; Are Ridley and Meta Ridley the same character/person? And if I'm not mistaken, the Ridley in Other M is a clone of the original Ridley... right?
The original Ridley appears in Metroid 1, Prime 1, Prime 3 and Super Metroid. Both Meta Ridley and Omega Ridley are the original Ridley.

He is cloned in Other M, and the clone is cloned in Fusion (yo dawg.)

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Warning Received
by god I've started a Ridley argument, what monster am I?
Ridley has a very good shot at making it in. Not saying he will, but it's probable

The original Ridley appears in Metroid 1, Prime 1, Prime 3 and Super Metroid. Both Meta Ridley and Omega Ridley are the original Ridley.

He is cloned in Other M, and the clone is cloned in Fusion (yo dawg.)
So there's the Original, the CLone, and the Clone-Clone?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Ridley has a very good shot at making it in. Not saying he will, but it's probable

So there's the Original, the CLone, and the Clone-Clone?
There's going to be a Riot if Ridley isn't in, also still no new leaks or anything, been looking at 4chan, reddit, and there's nothing. Actually we could have something to discuss about if @Speed were to talk more about that leak he/she got from an Unknown person.

Last edited:

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Can we all just agree that Square Enix are a bunch of tools for not allowing Geno in Smash 4.

Im listening and I understand where you come from, I just feel that not every character has to be updated in their franchise. I understand that having Other M samus and super Metroid ridley would be a little weird, but in the end he is still the same space pirate dragon we love, or hate. His abilities are all the same, nothing is different except that design. plus when people think of ridley, they think of super Metroid ridley, not other m ridley. either way id be fine with either one, I believe its all just preference. sorry if im making you frustrated.

not as big of a monster as villager that's for sure

I believe it really is all preference, sakurai just needs a way to make it work while having that ridley stage boss and a playable one
Ridley can't be playable. There's no workaround to the issue of consistency. If the playable Ridley isn't Other M Ridley, he won't match Sammy. If the stage boss Ridley isn't Other M Ridley, he won't match the stage, plus Other M has no replacement Ridley to take his place if you're fighting as him, as there's no Meta Ridley in Other M. The sooner you guys realize this, the less upset you'll be when it's confirmed he's a stage boss and nothing else. I want Mewtwo, sure, but if he's not in, then so be it. After 2 games and no appearance, if he doesn't end up as DLC, he's out of Smash for good in my eyes. If Ridley was gonna be playable, he could've been in both Melee and Brawl, but he wasn't. It's never happening. Sakurai even said Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character in an interview.

Thessbmzocker

Smash Apprentice
Lost World sanic
There is no such thing as a Lost World Sonic. Sonics Model is the same since Unleashed. (Except Colo(u)rs because the Wii wasn't powerfull enough) Even the engine used in Sonic Lost Worlds is still the Hedgehog Engine(well the Wii U version has it. The 3ds is the same as the Wii. Different Model and different engine)
Ridley could be in Sm4sh because he could be resized just like Pikachu (which is just 40cm tall) or Olimar or Bowser who in most of the Mario games is bigger than Mario. Except the (New) Super Mario Bros. Series. But I don't really thing he will be a playable character. Might be a stage boss or an assist trophy. We have to wait and see...

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
You're not wrong. If I remember corectly after the Prime trilogy the original Ridley was dead (could be wrong) and everything afterwards story wise has been a recreation. Super Metroid's Ridley also was killed after that game but whether or not he was a recreation or another Ridley altogether is up to debate. I'm assuming the latter since all other forms of Ridley up to that point had metal on their bodies. Other M's Ridley was an attempt to remake the original since by that point all other forms were dead.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ridley can't be playable. There's no workaround to the issue of consistency. If the playable Ridley isn't Other M Ridley, he won't match Sammy. If the stage boss Ridley isn't Other M Ridley, he won't match the stage, plus Other M has no replacement Ridley to take his place if you're fighting as him, as there's no Meta Ridley in Other M. The sooner you guys realize this, the less upset you'll be when it's confirmed he's a stage boss and nothing else. I want Mewtwo, sure, but if he's not in, then so be it. After 2 games and no appearance, if he doesn't end up as DLC, he's out of Smash for good in my eyes. If Ridley was gonna be playable, he could've been in both Melee and Brawl, but he wasn't. It's never happening. Sakurai even said Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character in an interview.
No, he stated that he "may have been able to do it, but he might have been a little slow"
He was saying it was impossible for the rumor he was referring to that Ridley WAS a character at some point in development.
Also, Let's have a fun discussion about Ganondorf's size compared to Link, and how dedede would actually be around the size of pikachu if size was Canon.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
He said the same for the Villager and Miis lol

There's no reason for nintendo to **** tease Ridley so much if he isn't gonna be playable

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
I understand what you're talking about, but this is the same game that has two completely different Links. Remember that Toon Link was Young Link back in Melee and that was his Ocarina counterpart, but now he's sporting the WW look and it doesn't look terrible. Where the designs come from does not matter, the point is to represent the franchise. Super Metroid's Ridley would look just fine next to Other M's Samus, bar an upgrade in design. You're saying it would look terrible, but at the same time Dark Samus fro Prime two is an assist tropy and she also looks fine compared to Other M's Samus.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
There is no such thing as a Lost World Sonic. Sonics Model is the same since Unleashed. (Except Colo(u)rs because the Wii wasn't powerfull enough) Even the engine used in Sonic Lost Worlds is still the Hedgehog Engine(well the Wii U version has it. The 3ds is the same as the Wii. Different Model and different engine)
Ridley could be in Sm4sh because he could be resized just like Pikachu (which is just 40cm tall) or Olimar or Bowser who in most of the Mario games is bigger than Mario. Except the (New) Super Mario Bros. Series. But I don't really thing he will be a playable character. Might be a stage boss or an assist trophy. We have to wait and see...
No, he stated that he "may have been able to do it, but he might have been a little slow"
He was saying it was impossible for the rumor he was referring to that Ridley WAS a character at some point in development.
Also, Let's have a fun discussion about Ganondorf's size compared to Link, and how dedede would actually be around the size of pikachu if size was Canon.
Bowser isn't a consitent size throughout the Mario games, and even then we could compare his SM64 to Rosalina. She's about twice as tall as Mario, and SM64 Bowser is just a bit more than that, so it isn't a huge change. Pokemon are not always one size either. The Pokedex is an average and the show more than proves that too. Sizing up a tiny character like Olimar isn't nearly as jarring as sizing down a behemoth like Ridley, who, aside from NES Metroid, has consistently been roughly 3x bigger than Samus (who's 6 ft tall, iirc), if no larger. NES Ridley is only that snall due to the NES' limitations. Zero Mission is the one to base that on, as it's an updated remake where Ridley is big again. I already discussed all of this a few pages back. Every argument for Ridley's inclusion can be shot down. He's a stage boss on Pyrosphere and that's it.

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie

There's no reason for nintendo to **** tease Ridley so much if he isn't gonna be playable
Yes there is. The reason is precisely to tease you. Nintendo knows that Ridley is in high demand, so they're going to purposely tease him throughout just so you stay around and see who gets revealed next. It's to keep you interested in the game. It doesn't matter if he's playable or not, the teasing already did it's job when you became interested. That's all it is.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Well they better know a MASSIVE backlash awaits them if Ridley is revealed to not be playable after all that teasing.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Yes there is. The reason is precisely to tease you. Nintendo knows that Ridley is in high demand, so they're going to purposely tease him throughout just so you stay around and see who gets revealed next. It's to keep you interested in the game. It doesn't matter if he's playable or not, the teasing already did it's job when you became interested. That's all it is.
but all that teasing points towards Ridley possibly being playable. There's also the Trophy quiz thing going for him

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman

Okay. I'll bite.

Is there really anything other than the one tease Sakurai did during the stage boss discussion in the direct that I'm missing? I feel like the statement "Nintendo has been teasing him so much" is a bit of an over-exaggeration if he's basically gotten one major mention that just as many people interpreted as "Oh. Ridley's a boss for Pyrosphere."

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that it was a tease at him being playable, but people act like it's this vicious act to destroy your psyche.

Edit: For the record, I was writing that post while the mod post came up. I didn't intend to look like I was being disobedient there.

Last edited:

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
but all that teasing points towards Ridley possibly being playable. There's also the Trophy quiz thing going for him
The trophy quiz proves nothing, it's just showing you a trophy and that was it. The only trophy that was relevant to anything was Psudeo-Palutena and that's because of her reveal trailer at the end of the E3 segment.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Okay. I'll bite.

Is there really anything other than the one tease Sakurai did during the stage boss discussion in the direct that I'm missing? I feel like the statement "Nintendo has been teasing him so much" is a bit of an over-exaggeration if he's basically gotten one major mention that just as many people interpreted as "Oh. Ridley's a boss for Pyrosphere."

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that it was a tease at him being playable, but people act like it's this vicious act to destroy your psyche.

Edit: For the record, I was writing that post while the mod post came up. I didn't intend to look like I was being disobedient there.
Well, all my thoughts are summed up nicely in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEcabFkhpa8

And this

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/92474216556/your-take-the-trophy-quiz-theory

You can disagree with me, but I believe I have enough reasons to believe he has a good shot.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
actually he did have a moveset and model for him already but opted not to make him a player but a boss. he actually said if he tried he could have made him a character but he may have been a little slow. I wouldn't care if he was in or not, im just stating my two cents

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Yeah this isn't on topic.
If it continues the thread should just be renamed "Ridley Thread 2:Two is bigger than one"
After all this discussion is just this at this point in time:
Keep in mind BOTH sides, not just detractors or supporters, have their biases towards interpretations of sakurai's behavior.
Everyone who is in the middle wants BOTH sides to stop forcing their opinions on people.
On topic with the leak though: Do you think the source of the pictures and Ninka's source both saw the same video?
Because Ninka got his info around Late June/Early July, the same time the Esrb/Nintendo of america people would have seen this roster

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
On topic with the leak though: Do you think the source of the pictures and Ninka's source both saw the same video?
Because Ninka got his info around Late June/Early July, the same time the Esrb/Nintendo of america people would have seen this roster
I believe Ninka's friend was a playtester who quit because of family reasons or something along those lines, and so leaked information because he had no fear of getting fired.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Yeah this isn't on topic.
If it continues the thread should just be renamed "Ridley Thread 2:Two is bigger than one"
Two is TOO BIG.

Anyway...I would try to steer this back on topic, but personally I don't have much to say at the moment. Just that, guys, I came to lurk on this thread so I could read about leaks, not Ridley. I have Ridley open in another thread - edit: I mean tab, obviously, not thread. :p

Last edited:

WooMooWooWooMoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Quattro_Thunder
3DS FC
1934-0666-8269
I wish they would announce Ridley. Not because I want him in(I'd rather have Sylux or any other Hunter, but that's another discussion). I want Ridley in so people will finally shut up about him.

Sakurai teased him once and made a few jokes about the sizes of things in Smash, we get it. Please just drop it.

Anyways, any new leaks?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So does the POTD today help the rumor with Ridley, Dixie, and Mewtwo? I think it does.
Don't forget the Choir Men too. As for that, I don't know. Maybe we'll have to wait for the release.

Also, I will not be in any Smash 4 topics because we're 10 days away til the Japanese release. So I'll be back on the 12th on the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom