• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I think it's fair to say that Ridley, K Rool, and Mewtwo will not be playable due to the "shift right" rule. That being said, I started thinking: doesn't anybody give a **** about more characters if it doesn't mean the Hype 3? I mean honestly, everybody hoping for the css not to be final seems to be holding out hope for those three. But the shift right rule says they can't be in anyway.
I'm pretty sure if any of the hype three would be in, it'd be Mewtwo. His placement doesn't really affect the roster, shifting right or otherwise.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Everyone kinda freaked after the POTD last night. Which, let's be honest, woudn't have been nearly as interesting without the leak.
Oh. I didn't even bother checking PotD's anymore. Thanks for the update.

I will admit that this is an intriguing development, but at the same time, it seems... I don't know. I think we're reading too much into the phrasing of a translator. "Unlocked" could very well mean simply "beaten" every character progressively, and the lock stays until you've fully completed it.

Plus there was that tidbit someone found on here the other day regarding a Japanese promotional poster boasting that the game had "over 40 characters". Considering the leak put us at 48 characters, I highly doubt we'll get more. It wouldn't make sense for a marketing department to say "over 40" when you actually have 50+ to offer.

But, everyone, don't let my natural negative nancy-ness bring down the party. Maybe I'm wrong!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Oh. I didn't even bother checking PotD's anymore. Thanks for the update.

I will admit that this is an intriguing development, but at the same time, it seems... I don't know. I think we're reading too much into the phrasing of a translator. "Unlocked" could very well mean simply "beaten" every character progressively, and the lock stays until you've fully completed it.

Plus there was that tidbit someone found on here the other day regarding a Japanese promotional poster boasting that the game had "over 40 characters". Considering the leak put us at 48 characters, I highly doubt we'll get more. It wouldn't make sense for a marketing department to say "over 40" when you actually have 50+ to offer.

But, everyone, don't let my natural negative nancy-ness bring down the party. Maybe I'm wrong!
I'd be willing to accept this if it weren't for the fact that in past smash games you had to unlock unlcok every character in order to even play the mode, so I'm guessing the same definition applies here.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I'd be willing to accept this if it weren't for the fact that in past smash games you had to unlock unlcok every character in order to even play the mode, so I'm guessing the same definition applies here.
We already know you don't have to unlock them all to play it.

micstar615

Smash Ace
The current situation:

The biggest thing going for the "CSS roster is the final roster" argument right now is that the leaked picture of All-Star mode with the lock and the leaked picture of the CSS could've been taken at different points. And the main evidence for this argument is the fact that the picture of the Barbara trophy was apparently taken when 11 trophies were unlocked and the rest of the character trophy pictures (Tharja, Tiki etc) were taken when there were 686 trophies locked iirc. It's a pretty good piece of evidence but the situation can be seen either way. I would also say that due to the formation of the CSS, any new reps for the franchises in the top half would skew the whole thing so they're unlikely to get reps, based on that logic at least. But with Sakurai, anything really is possible. I would still keep expectations low, just in case. At least we're likely to get DLC this time around as well :3

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm beginning to wonder how much of Nintendo's lack of third party support is the fault of circumstance or Nintendo specifically. There are many baffling decisions other parties make regarding Nintendo, like MGS3's terrible porting, for example.

I mean, I was extremely excited about the Resident Evil: Revelations 2 rumor-- until I found out that it won't be released on Nintendo consoles. Nevermind the fact that the 3DS version outsold all other versions by a mile, or the fact that Capcom could build a mini-fanbase involving Revelations and Nintendo consoles-- much like they did with the Outbreak series on PS2. They just looked at Nintendo, said, "**** those guys," and released the sequel on everything else instead. To me, a person largely uneducated on the exact natures of business decisions like these, that sounds stupid. But maybe I'm wrong.

Or maybe Nintendo is just off-putting? Like Sega was in their Saturn era. I've read accounts of just how impossible the top brass at Sega was to work with, and how they basically imploded due to arrogance. What if Nintendo is following a similar path? What if EA's spite toward Nintendo has some merit? What if the Wii U's lack of sales is just an easy excuse used to hide behind-the-scenes issues?

I'm not sure why I typed all this up. It's just eating at me how little my favorite developers seem to consider Nintendo consoles, and your issues with MSG3 started me up. The demo for that game was just embarrassing.
Well...Nintendo doesn't pay third parties for exclusivity or to put those games on their platform. For a lot of publishers/developers, this is off-putting because, to them, it means they don't care about their business and support. Revelations 2, as is, coming to everything but 3DS is just idiotic. But considering Capcom announced Resident Evil 6 THE WEEK Revelations came out in the US, which caused sales in the west to tank, because instead of promoting Revelations, they promoted that instead, isn't that surprising. And no, this isn't the first time Capcom has done this with a game they've put out on Nintendo platforms.

So maybe you should look at Capcom and say '**** those guys' instead. That's really the type of attitude that is wrong with the games industry towards Nintendo and everyone not in the industry. To them, if you complain, you're part of the problem, and not a solution. They'd rather you shut up, pre-order their game at 80 different places, buy all of the DLC on Day 1 and not even play the game as long as they get your money time and again.

But, back on topic, I think people trying to define every single word individually that comes out of Sakurai's mouth is a bit much. For the past week, by design or not, Sakurai has basically confirmed the leak, little by litte, culminating with last night's reveal of All-Star Mode, how it works, when it works, and what it means for the Roster being complete or not. Does it mean we're getting more characters besides the ones leaked? Maybe. But I doubt DLC will allow the mode to be Completed, because it just adds a wrench into the mix that's not needed.

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
This has been gone over a few times. The Mii Fighters will almost certainly be counted as separate characters officially, just like transforming characters in previous installments. That being the case we know 51 characters between what's been officially revealed and the leak, so the point is moot really.

Besides, it's perfectly plausible that the agency/branch/whatever making the ads doesn't know how many characters will be in the finished game. Only that there are 40 now and that there will be more. So naturally they'd say "over 40". Between that, the of possibility secret characters and not wanting to give away how many characters are left, it's perfectly reasonable that they'd say "over 40" when there are more than 50.

On top of that, the argument that they wouldn't say "more than 40" when they have more than 50 kind of depends on the idea that Nintendo need the TV ads to sell the game. Smash 4 would sell like crazy even if those TV ads never existed, and certainly regardless of whether said ads said "more than 40" or "more than 50".

P.S. Sorry if the slightly bigger font makes it seem like I'm being aggressive, the site automatically changed all my text to the smallest available font and the only choices left to me were slightly bigger than the default or slightly smaller.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I started thinking: does anybody give a **** about more characters if it doesn't mean the Hype 3? I mean honestly, everybody hoping for the css not to be final seems to be holding out hope for those three. But the shift right rule says they can't be in anyway.
Ice Climbers, Lucas, Krystal, Impa, Vaati, Chorus Kids or Marshal, Sceptile, Dixie Kong, any additional Metroid/Zelda/Kirby/MOTHER/Star Fox/Fire Emblem/etc character. Pretty sure there are tons of characters people are still holding out for.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This has been gone over a few times. The Mii Fighters will almost certainly be counted as separate characters officially, just like transforming characters in previous installments. That being the case we know 51 characters between what's been officially revealed and the leak, so the point is moot really.

Besides, it's perfectly plausible that the agency/branch/whatever making the ads doesn't know how many characters will be in the finished game. Only that there are 40 now and that there will be more. So naturally they'd say "over 40". Between that, the of possibility secret characters and not wanting to give away how many characters are left, it's perfectly reasonable that they'd say "over 40" when there are more than 50.

On top of that, the argument that they wouldn't say "more than 40" when they have more than 50 kind of depends on the idea that Nintendo need the TV ads to sell the game. Smash 4 would sell like crazy even if those TV ads never existed, and certainly regardless of whether said ads said "more than 40" or "more than 50".

P.S. Sorry if the slightly bigger font makes it seem like I'm being aggressive, the site automatically changed all my text to the smallest available font and the only choices left to me were slightly bigger than the default or slightly smaller.
I dunno. It just seems like bad marketing.

I'm in charge of marketing for my business. It's a small business, but nonetheless, I have to manage newspaper ads, emails, website promotions, Craigslist ads, etc. When I need to know how to promote an item or a sale, I go and check exactly what it is and how I can best promote it, because going in the dark with what little information I currently have can turn out terribly. If there's a rug sale going on and the highest percentage taken off is 60%, I'm damn well going to say "as much as 60% off!", not "as much as 50% off!" And I'm certainly going to check to see how high I can go before writing that part.

I can only imagine that a professional team paid a much higher salary than mine would work similarly. Simply not knowing what the product offers and promoting one's best guess seems very amateur. To me. You never leave a potential stone unturned. If the wow factor of 50 characters is enough to sell even one person, it's going to be on there.

But, still, I'm not them. Maybe it's different than I'm thinking. Who knows.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I have a source that says Mewtwo or Ridley will be announced today in either the PotD or a video that will be posted after the picture.
Don't ask where I got the info, as I can not give this source away. I just wanted to share the info with you all in case it does turn out to be true.
That is all~!
Pshhh oh please Speed, that's impossibru, we won't be seeing either of those two.
PLEASE LET THEM BE PLAYABLE MY BANK ACCOUNT IS READY FOR THEIR AMIIBOS AND HD GRAPHICS JUST GIVE ME AN EXCUSE SAKURAI

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Pshhh oh please Speed, that's impossibru, we won't be seeing either of those two.
PLEASE LET THEM BE PLAYABLE MY BANK ACCOUNT IS READY FOR THEIR AMIIBOS AND HD GRAPHICS JUST GIVE ME AN EXCUSE SAKURAI
I know it seems unlikely, which is why I'm not saying it's GOING to happen.
I'm just saying it COULD happen.
Be wary, as always.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
inb4 this happens at the beginning of the Bayonetta 2 direct.

D

Deleted member

I know it seems unlikely, which is why I'm not saying it's GOING to happen.
I'm just saying it COULD happen.
Be wary, as always.
Really curious about your source...

...either way, I'm sitting here tapping the refresh button on the site every few minutes. xD

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
inb4 this happens at the beginning of the Bayonetta 2 direct.
This COULD possibly link with my source.
Sakurai might announce something in his Potd that could pertain to this. My source did predict this particular day quite a while back ago. Since he hasn't changed his mind, I decided to post what he had to say on the off-chance.

Last edited:

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
This COULD possibly link with my source.
Sakurai might announce something in his Potd that could pertain to this. My source did predict this particular day quite a while back ago. Since he hasn't changed his mind, I decided to post what he had to say on the off-chance.
They could potentially put her in the game but I'm pretty iffy on that. Don't get me wrong i'd love to see her in but... meh

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed ....sweety...the Ridley fans are still recovering from that time when pax started last week and you posted that fake picture on the Ridley thread when some of them were anticipating a Ridley reveal. Do you remember that penguin gif? I will not hesitate to post it again :p

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
They could potentially put her in the game but I'm pretty iffy on that. Don't get me wrong i'd love to see her in but... meh
Mewtwo and Ridley would fit nicely in a trailer with her, can't deny it, no one can.

@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed ....sweety...the Ridley fans are still recovering from that time when pax started last week and you posted that fake picture on the Ridley thread when some of them were anticipating a Ridley reveal. Do you remember that penguin gif? I will not hesitate to post it again :p
<3 good times....<3

Last edited:

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo and Ridley would fit nicely in a trailer with her, can't deny it. No one can.
I'd still prefer a Villain type Trailer which would showcase Wario and Ganon as the returning Veterans and also show Bowser.Jr and Ridley being the new comers in the trailer. It would make a really hype trailer if you ask me.

Last edited:

fanboss2

Smash Apprentice
From pic of the day :

"This time, though, all characters have eight colors to choose from!"

Ninka leak confirmed ? (as if it wasn't before)

Last edited:

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Well I can confirm I was wrong about being 99.99% right on there not being anything Metroid related and there it is. -.-

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Huh. That new PotD might just confirm my suspicion that Daisy will be featured as an alternate costume for Peach. This actually kind of upsets me, if it turns out to be true, but... eh. You take what you can get.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Huh. That new PotD might just confirm my suspicion that Daisy will be featured as an alternate costume for Peach. This actually kind of upsets me, if it turns out to be true, but... eh. You take what you can get.
It means Pink Gold Peach is happening, obviously.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
This is how I feel when I gotta wait for POTDs. But in all serious though, looks like the Ninka leak got the 8 colors right.

Last edited:

Rayhak

Smash Rookie
This is how I feel when I gotta wait for POTDs. But in all serious though, looks like the Ninka leak got the 8 colors right.
Sakurai will slowly reveal all the facts that prove the leak right, it kinda see a pattern with recent PoTD, even if they are boring sometimes xD.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Considering all the leaks so far don't mention anything beyond the leaked roster (even the stuff that came before it!) I'm starting to feel a bit sad since I think it just increases the chances that the leaked roster is all we're getting. Unless they all come from the same source who didn't know all the answers that is.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Considering all the leaks so far don't mention anything beyond the leaked roster (even the stuff that came before it!) I'm starting to feel a bit sad since I think it just increases the chances that the leaked roster is all we're getting. Unless they all come from the same source who didn't know all the answers that is.
If the leak is true, that means a roster of 48 (48) characters, 12 of whom are totally new characters. That's fairly impressive to me.

I had to pay $15 just to get four characters in SSFIV:AE, and two of those four were just alterations to currently available characters.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
This is what happens when we upset Sakurai, he gives us slow and boring updates that leaks already show us... Thank god only 10 more days

D

Deleted member

Yes, many times.
Actually....how has this been debunked? If your answer is the K.O. count, you can clearly scroll to the left or right through the characters, so we're not seeing all the numbers that lead to the total.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I dunno. It just seems like bad marketing.

I'm in charge of marketing for my business. It's a small business, but nonetheless, I have to manage newspaper ads, emails, website promotions, Craigslist ads, etc. When I need to know how to promote an item or a sale, I go and check exactly what it is and how I can best promote it, because going in the dark with what little information I currently have can turn out terribly. If there's a rug sale going on and the highest percentage taken off is 60%, I'm damn well going to say "as much as 60% off!", not "as much as 50% off!" And I'm certainly going to check to see how high I can go before writing that part.

I can only imagine that a professional team paid a much higher salary than mine would work similarly. Simply not knowing what the product offers and promoting one's best guess seems very amateur. To me. You never leave a potential stone unturned. If the wow factor of 50 characters is enough to sell even one person, it's going to be on there.

But, still, I'm not them. Maybe it's different than I'm thinking. Who knows.
The thing about marketing is that "over 40 characters" and the count is 41 can leave a sour taste in the person's mouth, meanwhile if you say "over 40 characters" and deliver over 50 (but just over) it will make your audience happier. Because their expectations were exceeded as they were probably thinking 45-48 characters. So there is a definite reason to say "Over 40" when the count is 52.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Has this been debunked?
Yes, Lucario's total KO's add up to 34.
Actually....how has this been debunked? If your answer is the K.O. count, you can clearly scroll to the left or right through the characters, so we're not seeing all the numbers that lead to the total.
From what we can see Lucario's adds up to 34. Yet the total is 33.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom