• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
Ok - people you can't complain about the arrangement of the character select screen as why this is fake.

Just look at Brawl's...

SSB Brawl CSS.png

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Yup there's some weeeeird stuff going on. The entire thing woulda been so much more believable if only one guy leaked it and there was no stupid backstory about the ESRB or photoshopping to protect jobs and etc. Just a picture left at that with the DLC character list woulda sufficed.
Yes, something's in the air and no one wants to sniff it.

NRool

Smash Rookie
Firstly I'd like to apologize for my earlier tone, espcially to KingBroly it was out of order on my behalf, so sorry.

Secondly, With how hungry Smash fans could be, it's not really surprising this has become the mess it has, lots of people dig for this info, and because others know they want it, it spreads like wild fire amongst friends.
Think about it, this could've simply started with one guy, who sent some stuff to one or two others, and now it's been let loose as it is now, in what ... 5 or so days? even if it hadn't gone viral, I bet the pictures would've been in the hands of at least 50-100 people by now.

I say chances are this was gonna happen regardless of who actually did it.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
They're all a bunch of clowns trying to get in on the attention

If the photos are real, then it was a video for ESRB with a start and an end, and there's no other information to be had. Unless there's evidence put forward let them drown out into obscurity

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
You know there's a reason it's shady, right? They're breaking their NDAs, which is illegal. I mean, a guy lost his job over this already, heh.
Sorry for a silly question, but what does NDA stand for? I feel like I know the meaning, but what is it an acronym for?

Edit: I was answered in later posts, thank you for the polite answers!

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
inb4 Sakurai is the true leaker

CherryVS

Smash Rookie
I dunno, I was around when Brawl leaked, and when Pokemon X/Y leaked, and none of them were like this. I mean if they're so worried about breaking NDA's and risking their jobs, why are so many sources coming forward? Usually it's just one or maybe two people willing to leak stuff, here we have over a half dozen people taking that risk. It's very atypical.
Personally, I think it's because it's the biggest game of the year coming out for Nintendo. A lot of people are looking forward to this. I was around for the other two leaks as well, I remember the speculation was just as strong for them as it is for SSB4. If you had a video detailing everything that was in a game that you, and a bazillion other people are excited for, it's hard to want to keep a lid on it. You snap some pictures, show your buddies, tell 'em not to give anything out, they don't listen, show THEIR buddies, and the whole thing gets to where it is today.

Sorry for a silly question, but what does NDA stand for? I feel like I know the meaning, but what is it an acronym for?
Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
inb4 Sakurai is the true leaker
I've been contemplating this for a while. As the creative director of Smash, I would do this and then play with people's emotions via picture of the day, slowly confirming it while driving the fanbase into insanity.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Non-Disclosure Agreement :)

Edit: Ninja'd

Whenever this happens I always feel like I need to edit in something contributive... Does the amount of leakers/sources make people trust this more or make them doubt it more?

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think it's because it's the biggest game of the year coming out for Nintendo.
I'm thinking second maybe third biggest game for them. The wii u smash probably won't sell more than MK8 since no smash game has ever sold more than MK that I know of except Melee, but I think it took years for that to happen. The 3ds smash will sell wonderfully though with only ORAS as the only competition iirc.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Nintendo has 6 heavy hitters this year: Smash 3DS, ORAS, Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Nintendo has 6 heavy hitters this year: Smash 3DS, ORAS, Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2.
The last 2 are not big hitters.

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker will sell 8 million copies on Day 1.

Last edited:

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
Does the amount of leakers/sources make people trust this more or make them doubt it more?
It really depends on context, since the whole think is shrouded in darkness I can't really sniff any fishy scent.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Just one question, since I seem to have missed it...what's the deal with the lock on the all-star mode screen? I tried looking in the first two posts, but I didn't see anything added. From what everyone's been saying, there's a lock icon on the button for all-star mode, but the only picture in the thread (unless I missed it, considering how fast this thread moves) is a cropped picture of JUST the lock, and frankly it could be from anything. What is the confirmation that this is from the all-star mode button?

And how does this line up with the roster we've seen? Is that pic taken with the same roster we've been seeing for a while, or is this from a previous set with fewer characters?

Sorry if this has been answered and I can't find it.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm going to buy Treasure Tracker because Toad's one of my favorites, but I don't think he'll be doing Pokemon type numbers just yet.
Non-Disclosure Agreement :)

Edit: Ninja'd

Whenever this happens I always feel like I need to edit in something contributive... Does the amount of leakers/sources make people trust this more or make them doubt it more?
It's a dumpster fire, but nothing's decisively overturned it yet. I'm neutral on it.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I read on GameFaqs a short while ago that one of the leakers stated that the supposed ESRB employee has admitted to leaking confidential information and has lost his job. Unless I'm mistaken or read it wrong, this seems rather hard to believe...

I was leaning towards believing this leak, but when information that seems unreliable is thrown around by leakers who also claim to not know the whole truth of the situation, I find it very difficult to get on-board. I'm sitting at about 50/50. :ohwell:

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm not really expecting anything in tomorrow's POTD that will determine the credibility of this leak, it'll probably be something like
"look how detailed mario's fireball is" or something like that. Do they show off anything big on monday? I always thought firday was big POTDs.
But I can't say I'm not excited to see it.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
I read on GameFaqs a short while ago that one of the leakers stated that the supposed ESRB employee has admitted to leaking confidential information and has lost his job. Unless I'm mistaken or read it wrong, this seems rather hard to believe...

I was leaning towards believing this leak, but when information that seems unreliable is thrown around by leakers who also claim to not know the whole truth of the situation, I find it very difficult to get on-board. I'm sitting at about 50/50. :ohwell:
I think what's happening is either the leak is real, and everyone is coming out saying they have "sources" so that they can seem more valid, or the leak is fake and it's just all falling apart because no one expected it to be this widely debated and last this long.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Right...I'm confident that most ESRB employees don't know what Gamefaqs is, let alone post there.

Tactician

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkBlade126
3DS FC
0748-1784-0273
Just one question, since I seem to have missed it...what's the deal with the lock on the all-star mode screen? I tried looking in the first two posts, but I didn't see anything added. From what everyone's been saying, there's a lock icon on the button for all-star mode, but the only picture in the thread (unless I missed it, considering how fast this thread moves) is a cropped picture of JUST the lock, and frankly it could be from anything. What is the confirmation that this is from the all-star mode button?

And how does this line up with the roster we've seen? Is that pic taken with the same roster we've been seeing for a while, or is this from a previous set with fewer characters?

Sorry if this has been answered and I can't find it.
The pic of the lock originated not long ago on GameFAQs. A user there, NessInEngland, claimed to have a source who said the leak was true. He posted the pic of the All Star Mode lock as a way to prove that he was telling the truth. According to him it's locked because the entire roster hadn't been unlocked. To my knowledge, he hasn't said that his source was the first leaker, so we still have no idea if the CSS is complete or not.

Also we still really don't know if he's telling the truth. He posted another picture that is supposedly the icon for Multi Man Mode.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I just struggle to understand why an ESRB employee who made the decision to leak information would come clean. Does anybody know what the penalties are like for leaking information covered by a NDA?

Here's the quote on GameFAQs:
My source has told me that he was in fact an ESRB employee. And he has come clean after the pictures went viral. He has since lost his job. (im assuming this is ok to say because my source mentioned this in one of the quotes from my last topic)

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
From http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Packaged or boxed games typically sold at retail are rated using a "Long Form" process whereby ESRB raters evaluate the content of each game in advance of its public release. In these cases the publisher must provide two key forms of content disclosure as their game is being finalized:

1. a completed ESRB online questionnaire detailing the game's pertinent content, which essentially translates to anything that may factor into the game's rating. This includes not only the content itself (violence, sexual content, language, controlled substances, gambling, etc.), but other relevant factors such as context, reward systems and the degree of player control; and
  2. a DVD that captures all pertinent content, including typical gameplay, missions, and cutscenes, along with the most extreme instances of content across all relevant categories. Pertinent content that is not playable (i.e., "locked out") but will exist in the game code on the final game disc must also be disclosed.
TL;DR the "ESRB" worker could not leak the roster, or Nintendo used a completely different method to rate this game.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Right...I'm confident that most ESRB employees don't know what Gamefaqs is, let alone post there.
Gamefaqs is ridiculously popular though. That was the go-to site for... well... Game facts for a while. It's very reliable and aside from the community, still is.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I don't think he would just lose his job, vaanrose had stated that you could be fined or even jailed for it. I don't think he would JUST lose his job.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
From http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Packaged or boxed games typically sold at retail are rated using a "Long Form" process whereby ESRB raters evaluate the content of each game in advance of its public release. In these cases the publisher must provide two key forms of content disclosure as their game is being finalized:

1. a completed ESRB online questionnaire detailing the game's pertinent content, which essentially translates to anything that may factor into the game's rating. This includes not only the content itself (violence, sexual content, language, controlled substances, gambling, etc.), but other relevant factors such as context, reward systems and the degree of player control; and
  2. a DVD that captures all pertinent content, including typical gameplay, missions, and cutscenes, along with the most extreme instances of content across all relevant categories. Pertinent content that is not playable (i.e., "locked out") but will exist in the game code on the final game disc must also be disclosed.
TL;DR the "ESRB" worker could not leak the roster, or Nintendo used a completely different method to rate this game.
You're behind, taking pics of video.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Gamefaqs is ridiculously popular though. That was the go-to site for... well... Game facts for a while. It's very reliable and aside from the community, still is.
ESRB employees aren't people you'd expect to play games, let alone be knowledgeable of them or engross themselves in the gaming community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom