• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
From http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Packaged or boxed games typically sold at retail are rated using a "Long Form" process whereby ESRB raters evaluate the content of each game in advance of its public release. In these cases the publisher must provide two key forms of content disclosure as their game is being finalized:

1. a completed ESRB online questionnaire detailing the game's pertinent content, which essentially translates to anything that may factor into the game's rating. This includes not only the content itself (violence, sexual content, language, controlled substances, gambling, etc.), but other relevant factors such as context, reward systems and the degree of player control; and
  2. a DVD that captures all pertinent content, including typical gameplay, missions, and cutscenes, along with the most extreme instances of content across all relevant categories. Pertinent content that is not playable (i.e., "locked out") but will exist in the game code on the final game disc must also be disclosed.
TL;DR the "ESRB" worker could not leak the roster, or Nintendo used a completely different method to rate this game.
That second part seems like exactly what the leak would have come from. I thought it was confirmed that the leak came from pictures of the supposed esrb video provided for smash 4's rating?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just struggle to understand why an ESRB employee who made the decision to leak information would come clean. Does anybody know what the penalties are like for leaking information covered by a NDA?

Here's the quote on GameFAQs:
Off the top of my head, a fine, loss of their job, being blacklisted for other potential jobs and even jail time at worst.

There's a lot to lose if you're caught.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
That second part seems like exactly what the leak would have come from. I thought it was confirmed that the leak came from pictures of the supposed esrb video provided for smash 4's rating?
Yup, clearly pics are from a computer monitor.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
ESRB employees aren't people you'd expect to play games, let alone be knowledgeable of them or engross themselves in the gaming community.
I agree... This is how the ESRB describes their raters:

"All ESRB raters are adults who typically have experience with children, whether through prior work experience, education or as parents or caregivers. While they are not required to have advanced skills as video game players (since their job is to review content and determine its age-appropriateness, not to assess how challenging or entertaining a particular game may be), they often gain or further develop such abilities as some of them are also required to play-test games once released to ensure that complete and accurate content disclosure was provided to ESRB. To eliminate the risk of outside influence, including from industry members and the media, the identities of ESRB raters are kept confidential, and they are not permitted to have any ties to or connections with any individuals or entities in the video game industry."

Edit: I'm picturing a bunch of middle aged moms sitting around a room watching these videos... Not to discredit them, I do think they do good work and provide accurate ratings, the description just makes me chuckle.

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
You're behind, taking pics of video.
Wow......I must have read right over that.............I feel so ashamed:urg:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, I was sure Paula, Poo and Ness could all use PK freeze in the game.

Nevermind then, that would just mean another original gameplay disappearing with Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake and Ice Climbers...
The cuts this time would not be of clones but of original characters.
Well, the number of clone newcomers are dwindling.
He still got a game for the Wii, so he isn't retro like say, Duck Hunt is. When people claim a character to be retro in Smash, they are talking about characters like Ice Climbers, Pit (before Uprising) and others non-playable like Takamaru, Prince of Sablé, etc. By this definition, Mac isn't retro, Pac-Man isn't retro and Mega Man isn't retro either. It is not that hard of a concept to grasp, now is it?
Don't forget Wii Play (2007) it had Shooting Range which was obviously based on Duck Hunt... but the dog wasn't in the game. It is kinda similar to how R.O.B. guest-appeared in Mario Kart DS before it got in Brawl.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I just struggle to understand why an ESRB employee who made the decision to leak information would come clean. Does anybody know what the penalties are like for leaking information covered by a NDA?

Here's the quote on GameFAQs:
Backgammon to the rescue.

The penalty varies from contract to contract.
However, a very standard clause is that the party that's contracted the leaker is free to sue them, for an undefined amount.
The amount is usually adjusted to the loss that the company could lose in sales or royalties, etc.

However, most companies, if they employ a large amount of people that are being put under NDAs (ESRB, PEGI, any company that sends out closed beta test invitations under an NDA), they will likely not sue, but instead revoke rights.

Such can include your job, access to the source material now and in the future and of course, cash.

I've actually written some NDAs myself, the standard clause I write into them is that I can sue for an undefined amount up to £100,000 and I retain the right to mention that they leaked on an NDA to future employers and would file a crime report if they did so.

If you guys have any questions on NDAs, feel free to ask, by the way.

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
They're all a bunch of clowns trying to get in on the attention

If the photos are real, then it was a video for ESRB with a start and an end, and there's no other information to be had. Unless there's evidence put forward let them drown out into obscurity
I agree.
If information was really out there, and it had reached the point where random people on the internet knew things, it would be getting out. The whole "we know things but we won't tellll~" attitude is pretty annoying; it's making me really doubt this leak.

Sure, there are people who don't want to get in trouble with Nintendo for leaking information. That's understandable. But I find it VERY hard to believe that there is a group of people out there on the internet that DON'T WORK FOR Nintendo, ESRB, etc etc, that know details about the roster and aren't saying anything.

*IF* this leak is true, and *IF* there is more to it than we've seen, I think it's really fishy that nobody has leaked anything else. It doesn't make any sense.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I agree.
If information was really out there, and it had reached the point where random people on the internet knew things, it would be getting out. The whole "we know things but we won't tellll~" attitude is pretty annoying; it's making me really doubt this leak.
I used to be like you, but then I realized that it's not really worth getting riled up over. We're at most nineteen days away from learning everything we could care to know about the game, but it's probably realistically anywhere between eighteen to thirteen days. A minimum of two weeks before we know it all, baby. Think about it. Let it sink in. Let it wrap its arms around you, caress you, take away all your roster and fake leak cares away on a fluffy cloud.

Kidding aside, honestly, we're in the final stretch. Just hang in a few more weeks.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I used to be like you, but then I realized that it's not really worth getting riled up over. We're at most nineteen days away from learning everything we could care to know about the game, but it's probably realistically anywhere between eighteen to thirteen days. A minimum of two weeks before we know it all, baby. Think about it. Let it sink in. Let it wrap its arms around you, caress you, take away all your roster and fake leak cares away on a fluffy cloud.

Kidding aside, honestly, we're in the final stretch. Just hang in a few more weeks.
Naw that's the attitude I've taken up. It's only a matter of time until we know the full roster so it really isn't worth getting worked up over. If it is a leak, it's a damn good one. But we have to just wait and see.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
A minimum of two weeks before we know it all, baby. Think about it. Let it sink in. Let it wrap its arms around you, caress you, take away all your roster and fake leak cares away on a fluffy cloud.
If I had space, this would be on my signature so freaking fast.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I doubt unlocking characters would move Bowser Jr. and Rosalina from the right to the left of Yoshi.
Tell that to Pikachu in Melee. Due to the odd placement of many characters I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled a Pikachu and jumped around to their respective spots on the roster. If this leak + the ninka leak is true then I imagine this could be one iteration of the character select screen.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Tell that to Pikachu in Melee. Due to the odd placement of many characters I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled a Pikachu and jumped around to their respective spots on the roster. If this leak + the ninka leak is true then I imagine this could be one iteration of the character select screen.

Are the Chorus Kids and Mewtwo and etc confirmed via this "leak" or just solid guesses? Curious.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Backgammon to the rescue.

The penalty varies from contract to contract.
However, a very standard clause is that the party that's contracted the leaker is free to sue them, for an undefined amount.
The amount is usually adjusted to the loss that the company could lose in sales or royalties, etc.

However, most companies, if they employ a large amount of people that are being put under NDAs (ESRB, PEGI, any company that sends out closed beta test invitations under an NDA), they will likely not sue, but instead revoke rights.

Such can include your job, access to the source material now and in the future and of course, cash.

I've actually written some NDAs myself, the standard clause I write into them is that I can sue for an undefined amount up to £100,000 and I retain the right to mention that they leaked on an NDA to future employers and would file a crime report if they did so.

If you guys have any questions on NDAs, feel free to ask, by the way.
I guess I will never leak anything in my life then.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
If I had space, this would be on my signature so freaking fast.
You know what scares me though? I feel like even after the 3DS version comes out, people are going to start speculating on Wii U exclusive characters (even though we were told there wouldn't be any), and DLC.

Like, I'm going to use Ridley as an example here. I'd love to see him playable, but I personally think he's a stage boss. This is what I think is going to happen in his case:

-Ridley won't be playable on the 3DS version
-Pyrosphere isn't in Smash 3DS, so we will still have no visual evidence of him as a boss
-People will still say he isn't deconfirmed yet
-Leaks of the Wii U roster will come out with him being there
-Rumors will surface that Ridley and others are coming to Smash Wii U and 3DS as free DLC content the day the Wii U version comes out to celebrate it's launch
-Fast forward to the launch of Smash Wii U
-Ridley will be a boss and will not be playable
-People will speculate that because the Other M version of Ridley is a boss, that another version of him could still be DLC
-People will continue talking about Ridley until Smash 5 gets announced
-Repeat the cycle

I don't think we're FULLY in the clear in terms of leaks until both versions of the game are out for a while and we have official confirmation on their DLC plans. THEN it's over.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
It would be a wise idea not to. If people like me are to take our IPs seriously, we need to protect them. And if people leak it, it could serious damage to sales etc.
In something like Smash Bros' case, it won't cause as much problems as in mine, but the implications are still there.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
You know what scares me though? I feel like even after the 3DS version comes out, people are going to start speculating on Wii U exclusive characters (even though we were told there wouldn't be any), and DLC.

Like, I'm going to use Ridley as an example here. I'd love to see him playable, but I personally think he's a stage boss. This is what I think is going to happen in his case:

-Ridley won't be playable on the 3DS version
-Pyrosphere isn't in Smash 3DS, so we will still have no visual evidence of him as a boss
-People will still say he isn't deconfirmed yet
-Leaks of the Wii U roster will come out with him being there
-Rumors will surface that Ridley and others are coming to Smash Wii U and 3DS as free DLC content the day the Wii U version comes out to celebrate it's launch
-Fast forward to the launch of Smash Wii U
-Ridley will be a boss and will not be playable
-People will speculate that because the Other M version of Ridley is a boss, that another version of him could still be DLC
-People will continue talking about Ridley until Smash 5 gets announced
-Repeat the cycle

I don't think we're FULLY in the clear in terms of leaks until both versions of the game are out for a while and we have official confirmation on their DLC plans. THEN it's over.
I think Ridley will be playable, just not in the way everyone wants him to be playable...
But that's for another thread and another time.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
For reasons as Backgammon said, very risky, and this is usually why these leaks start on 4chan and other anonymous image boards, very hard to be tracked there, moreso, when people fake leaks, like a lot of text leaks, they start on Gamespot (or other public gaming fourms) because generally they either aren't true

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
After Gematsu, I can understand this.

It would be a wise idea not to. If people like me are to take our IPs seriously, we need to protect them. And if people leak it, it could serious damage to sales etc.
In something like Smash Bros' case, it won't cause as much problems as in mine, but the implications are still there.
Before I read this thread and comment, I never thought of the game-changing implications of leaks. You sir have sparked a new train of thought in my mind.

Now I'm off to tell the voices in my head to shut up about it.

Last edited:

Tactician

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkBlade126
3DS FC
0748-1784-0273
Are the Chorus Kids and Mewtwo and etc confirmed via this "leak" or just solid guesses? Curious.
Last I saw they were speculation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it went something like this.

Mods here got word of a leak, included all the characters shown on the CSS. This was the Ninka/Vaarose leak. They didn't have much reason to believe it, so they didn't make it public.

Not long after, someone on 4chan leaked some characters, all of them included on the Ninka/Vaarose leak, plus Ridley Mewtwo Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong. At this point the mods thought the original leak was worth sharing, since they mostly lined up.

Now recently this CSS was leaked. It includes all the characters on the Ninka/Vaarose leak, and looking at the placement most people seem to be thinking that there are characters left locked. These characters are commonly guessed to be the extra ones from the 4chan leak, Ridley Mewtwo Dixie and Chorus Kids. I guess the thinking is that all 3 of these leaks are true, the 4chan one just had more information than the other two.

Or that's my understanding of the whole situation.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That is true. I don't think most people even realize how leaks can affect the sales potential of a game.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
That is true. I don't think most people even realize how leaks can affect the sales potential of a game.
Before I read this thread and comment, I never thought of the game-changing implications of leaks. You sir have sparked a new train of thought in my mind..
My main experience with NDAs currently is protecting my IP.
I have a story concept that I'm sitting on and working very diligently on. However, since I have not yet published any material for it, the concept can be stolen. After approaching trusted individuals and companies, there are a lot of people wanting to take me up on this story when I'm finished with it.

Now, what could happen if the people that were under my NDAs leaked the concept? My story concept is now out for anyone to take up. For anyone to take to the publishers and potentially make a lot of money out of.

Now you see why the penalties for NDAs can potentially be so harsh, and why I write such damning clauses into mine.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
This is actually kind of big with Smash, a game with this many factors can change opinions relatively easily.

I honestly wish we had more information on game modes, right now it seems... lacking.
Thread, correct me if I'm wrong but currently the only game modes confirmed are:
-Classic Mode: Revamped
-Smash Run: Shoved Down Your Throat Edition
-Multi Man Mode: Multiple Modes in One
-Target Blast: Smashing Angry Bird 2014
-Home Run Contest: Lady Palutena's Slamming Jamming Contest
-Versus: Fight Everyone at your school because they all have 3DS
-Online Smash: For Fun/For Freedom
-Trophy Stuff: Gotta collect them all
-Customizing Character: BANNED
-All-Stars Mode: The mode @ Reila Reila , @cool mario bros, and I are gonna totally wreck.

Hinted at by 3DS Video:
-Help Section: But people will still ask answered questions
-Trophy Rush: No info about it yet
-Spectator Mode: Nintendo loves to Gamble
-That little table thingy iunno

But we have not gotten confirmation of: Special Modes, Event Matches, Custom Stages, and Target Smash/Test. These are very big in Smash Bros with Custom Stages being the smallest (but arguably coolest). Oh great leakers, give us information about this stuff for once...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have actually leaked something in the past. My immature self was not prepared for the consequences.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I have actually leaked something in the past. My immature self was not prepared for the consequences.
The affected parties are never happy. As a stupid teenager 10 years ago, I visited DoubleFine in San Francisco, and immediately went to share everything I saw on what would eventually be known as Brutal Legend. That very night an email went out to my entire class requesting it gets pulled. There were no field trips to DoubleFine after that as far as I know.

I was also involved with the Factor 5 / Kid Icarus leak. But that was when Factor 5 was going out of business so who cares.

D

Deleted member

The affected parties are never happy. As a stupid teenager 10 years ago, I visited DoubleFine in San Francisco, and immediately went to share everything I saw on what would eventually be known as Brutal Legend. That very night an email went out to my entire class requesting it gets pulled. There were no field trips to DoubleFine after that as far as I know.

I was also involved with the Factor 5 / Kid Icarus leak. But that was when Factor 5 was going out of business so who cares.
0_o I didn't leak anything professional... just a fan project

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Speaking of leaks, I think it's time I blow all of your minds because after slaving myself, I did it. I found the Smash 4 leak that is most definitely real. Please... take a look. But be wary, spoilers ahead.

Sorry mods, just having a little bit of fun. I promise this is my last out of topic post.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Mondays PotD should be coming soon right? Samurai pls
Don't they arrive usually midnight PST, they do for me at least, unless I need to clear my cache for it to update at like 9pm

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Mondays PotD should be coming soon right? Samurai pls
Knowing Sakurai, i'd say it's due in about..... 3-7 hours.
He's been all over the place with his post times lately. I assume things are a bit busy with the game coming out soon so maybe he isn't on his regular schedule.
Though Meta Knight and the Music page had excuses for being late because they had to update the site too for those.

Man, I give up on predicting anything about Sakurai or Smash Bros., even the daily post times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom