• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
This is unrelated, but I thought this was funny. Most of you were probably here for that CSS leak that happened before E3, right? I don't have the pictures, but it was convincing enough to warrant a 4 days or so debate on whether it was real or not.

In actuality the guy who debunked it via fonts was @HextupleyooDOT, who you can tell from his avatar made the Klonoa art.

I contacted him via Deviantart and he says that he didn't make any of the renders in this leak.
Attack wise, it's true. But I'd take it bad if Sakurai decided to put Lucas as an alt now while giving Dr. Mario his own slot...
Again, I'm almost sure Lucas is definitely gone.
Clones like Doc who shares a model and animations with another character are most likely last minute decision if they were unable to finish a more difficult to make character. Don't think of it as "Dr. Mario taking Lucas' slot" or "Picking Doc over Lucas". It's probably a case of "50 characters or 50 characters and 1 extra lazy clone". He'd be quickly implemented and not replacing anyone in a sense.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
The issue is that due to Lucas's being mostly unique from Ness, he would require far more work than Dr. Mario. If all the clones in this game are ascended costumes, then they would take up next to no development time. If this turns out to be true, then sadly, it seems Lucas was never planned to be playable...
The Sakurai thought process here is baffling.

Lucas and Wolf are semi-clones which is TOO unique. So Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit must be extremely close to being a perfect clone with maybe a few differences. Dr. Mario throws a pill instead of a fireball and gets a whole spot. Dark Pit was an alt last time but because bias gets his own thing.

Okay...

Now if we take the rest of the leak info at face value.... Alph is just an alt, Blood Falcon is just an alt, (two franchises that could well use more representation), plenty of other franchises that could have gotten shafted over the years that could have used a clone don't get it, but he went with Dr. Mario, who if not for the legendarily impressive ineptitude of Pichu, would be the least missed cut character in Smash history.

It doesn't seem to make sense. Which is why it seems like something Sakurai would realistically do.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Clones like Doc who shares a model and animations with another character are most likely last minute decision if they were unable to finish a more difficult to make character. Don't think of it as "Dr. Mario taking Lucas' slot" or "Picking Doc over Lucas". It's probably a case of "50 characters or 50 characters and 1 extra lazy clone". He'd be quickly implemented and not replacing anyone in a sense.
That's what I thought. The initial roster is of 45 characters-or-something, the rest are bonus (if leak is real).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I have no idea. I used to main both of them, and it really does make me sad that most assume Lucas is "just a clone."
The only "clone" that can be argued to be more unique then Lucas is Wolf (and Luigi,if you consider him a clone.)

If the only moves that you use are 'B' moves and forward smash, then yes, they are the same character.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Why will people fight tooth and nail when it comes to Wolf being unique from Fox but everyone assumes that Lucas was basically Ness' Falco? Did no one else actually play as both Ness and Lucas?
Lucas does share a few more moves with his "clone" than Wolf does. Ness/Lucas have extremely similar side smashes with different properties and... their downtilts I think? That might be part of it. /shrug

D

Deleted member

Exactly. Assuming this leak is real, then the situation is identical to Melee. The roster would be 45 characters, and either due to extra time or wanting more characters or both, the team is able to create clone characters from former alternate costumes to make the roster 48 characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Lucas does share a few more moves with his "clone" than Wolf does. Ness/Lucas have extremely similar side smashes with different properties and... their downtilts I think? That might be part of it. /shrug
Honestly, I think a big part of it is that their weight and speed is also very similar.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Melee clones (Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Young Link, Falco, Pichu and Roy) were pretty much filler characters. Sakurai had the planned roster finished, but thought it was too small, so the clones were quickly made. The other option would be to make an entirely new character instead, but that wouldn't solve Sakurai's issue.

Assuming the leak is true, it's possible something like that happened with this game, but for different reasons. Lucina was already explained, but you could assume that Dark Pit and Dr. Mario had more or less the same thing going for them. The way Sakurai talks about Lucina sounds like they made her more as a side thing.

Anyway, the clones aren't taking anyone's spot. They weren't planned in the first place, after all. If anything, it's a good thing. It means development went swiftly and according to the plan, thus the developers found time to develop some extra content.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The irony is that despite the differences with attacks, Ness and Lucas still suffer from a lot of similar problems. It's a case where changed attacks meant jack squat.

Last edited:

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
I am starting to wonder if Sakurai will debunk this thing himself tonight with a screenshot or something. Still though, I am a bit disappointed with the clones, even if it is a "good thing"
Eh, I am sure the final game will still be fantastic, no matter the roster at this point. It is just icing on the proverbial cake.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just want to point this out:

48 characters, 4 cuts if you consider Charizard to be a modified Pokemon trainer.

RosalinaX confirmed?

D

Deleted member

Guys I just saw it but why would the polar bear be in smash run if ICs are cut?
Two reasons:
  1. Reference to Melee's adventure mode where the Polar Bears (along with Topis) were enemies.
  2. The Polar Bears still represent Ice Climber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
They were easy models to import from Brawl, and if the Ice Climbers aren't in they were cut for technical reasons. Sakurai himself has said that they were trying ti implement them, so we know they were intended to be in the game. Polar Bears may have already been in when they decided they just couldn't make the Icies work.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
But they have shown off the polar bear in other pictures. Sure, not PotD's, but pictures received by Sakurai nonetheless. I just don't think we should all be too certain the IC are gone because of THAT.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
But they have shown off the polar bear in other pictures. Sure, not PotD's, but pictures received by Sakurai nonetheless. I just don't think we should all be too certain the IC are gone because of THAT.
I agree, I'm not 100% sure of anything until i play the game, sooooo... I still think ice climbers are a possibility.

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130
That was also the only pic of the day to be taken down I think
This right here is what makes me ponder. I can't help to think back during the smash direct when there was a showcase of all the enemies in Smash Run. They all had emblems tied to their names(IE Mushroom for Goombas etc. etc.). That means that the Ice Climbers emblem is in this game, yet there is no playable character tied to that emblem?

I guess that can be the case...a series being represented by a Smash Run enemy, but I am doubtful.

The same goes for the Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run, I still think there is a playable Rhythm Heaven character in this game(but that's just me!).

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
The Sakurai thought process here is baffling.

Lucas and Wolf are semi-clones which is TOO unique. So Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit must be extremely close to being a perfect clone with maybe a few differences. Dr. Mario throws a pill instead of a fireball and gets a whole spot. Dark Pit was an alt last time but because bias gets his own thing.

Okay...

Now if we take the rest of the leak info at face value.... Alph is just an alt, Blood Falcon is just an alt, (two franchises that could well use more representation), plenty of other franchises that could have gotten shafted over the years that could have used a clone don't get it, but he went with Dr. Mario, who if not for the legendarily impressive ineptitude of Pichu, would be the least missed cut character in Smash history.

It doesn't seem to make sense. Which is why it seems like something Sakurai would realistically do.
While I do agree that Dark Pit should not have a spot on the roster (I love Uprising, but it is ridiculously stupid that he has his own place), I don't think Alph or any character from F-Zero should get representation either. "Wow, you are such a ****, F-Zero needs more love". A game that is all about racing needs another character? Captain Falcon represents F-Zero perfectly, he's a fast character who is also a bounty hunter so he knows how to fight. He's cocky and awesome, just like racers. If we add another character from the F-Zero franchise, he'll just be there as a character that doesn't represent anything, he's just adding more to the roster.

As for Alph, Olimar represents the Pikmin series well enough if you ask me. It's all about organization and using what you have to deal with problems. Alph does the same exact thing, and so does every other Pikmin protagonist. "BUT HE COULD HAVE ROCK PIKMIN!!!1!!". So can Olimar with custom moves.

Also, you're wrong about Dr. Mario. He's actually ridiculously popular and is the third most loved cut character, third only to Roy and Mewtwo. Dr. Mario also represents something, he represents how Mario is more than just a plumber and a hero, he's a whole bunch of things and he's a character that can change to fit almost any situation.

Once again, I don't like the idea of Dark Pit being playable, it's stupid and he represents absolutely nothing.

Edit: I then realized that clones aren't really around to represent stuff. They're just kind of there.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Also, you're wrong about Dr. Mario. He's actually ridiculously popular and is the third most loved cut character, third only to Roy and Mewtwo.
His competition is Pichu and Young Link.

Honestly, in regards to cut characters, Mewtwo is most wanted, followed by a semi-large gap, Roy, a large gap, Dr. Mario, larger gaps, Young Link/Pichu.

LittleMacAndCheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicj
3DS FC
4124-6305-9419
Well here's what I think... when olimar was announced on the website there isn't a single 3ds photo for him because he probably was making issues and sakurai pulled through and got him in and rosalina and luma are two as well and Sakurai got them in... the first time we saw olimar in action was for like 3 seconds in the nintendo direct and picturewise on the website was little macs 2nd 3ds screenshot... the ice climbers DEFINITELY could be in since sakurai even mentioned them

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Someone on Reddit confirmed the Polar Bears appear in the demo too (smash run) and linked a video showing where it appeared. It could be removed though... They're probably screwed (the ICs) and I'm prepared for it. v_v

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't think any character from F-Zero should get representation either. "Wow, you are such a ****, F-Zero needs more love". A game that is all about racing needs another character? Captain Falcon represents F-Zero perfectly, he's a fast character who is also a bounty hunter so he knows how to fight. He's cocky and awesome, just like racers. If we add another character from the F-Zero franchise, he'll just be there as a character that doesn't represent anything, he's just adding more to the roster.
I agree with every other thing in this post, but I disagree here.
Yes, f zero is a racing game, an amazing one at that,but in f zero you can do other things,such as knocking out other opponents to insure your victory.
Take black shadow's vehicle stats for example:
  • Body: A
  • Boost: E
  • Grip: A
It's a good vehicle for knocking out opponents, so is goroh's machine. Both goroh and black shadow could be fighters that have powerful attacks. But, F-zero probably won't get a second rep due to the series not having a game since the gamecube days, sadly.

I'm not fond of dark pit either, I would prefer Hades honestly, but It does seem like he is going to be in.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
As far as we know, Sakurai didn't specifically say they were working on or having trouble with the Ice Climbers, did he? From what I recall, he said they were having trouble with multi-character fighters and used the Ice Climbers as an example of what he was talking about, but that was before he'd announced Rosalina. If Rosalina had been announced, I'm sure he would've used her as the example.

So I don't think those comments were anything in particular for or against the Ice Climbers. They're just like any other longtime rep like Falco or Ness: unconfirmed, but obviously in the game.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I am positive Ice Climbers were having difficulty. And if they are cut, I will understand. But I think all the effort being put into this game will help the Ice Climbers' development immensely.

D

Deleted member

Well here's what I think... when olimar was announced on the website there isn't a single 3ds photo for him because he probably was making issues and sakurai pulled through and got him in and rosalina and luma are two as well and Sakurai got them in... the first time we saw olimar in action was for like 3 seconds in the nintendo direct and picturewise on the website was little macs 2nd 3ds screenshot... the ice climbers DEFINITELY could be in since sakurai even mentioned ot
It's possible that IC will be in the game, but they also opperate differently. Pikmin and Luma are more or less items or tools used by their master. IC are two characters that mimic each other. They take much more processing than those other 2 characters. And if the game cannot run smoothly with 4 of them on the screen then they will probably be cut.

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
Well here's what I think... when olimar was announced on the website there isn't a single 3ds photo for him because he probably was making issues and sakurai pulled through and got him in and rosalina and luma are two as well and Sakurai got them in... the first time we saw olimar in action was for like 3 seconds in the nintendo direct and picturewise on the website was little macs 2nd 3ds screenshot... the ice climbers DEFINITELY could be in since sakurai even mentioned ot
As some people have said before, the IC's are different from Rosalina and Olimar. The Luma is almsot entirely player-controlled, and the Pikmin's only AI function is getting back to Olimar. Comapre this to Nana, who is in effect another CPU player. (Seriously, people have been able to change her AI level exactly like other CPU players in Melee!)

Edit::4greninja:'d

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Nana's AI could just as easily be simplified to ALSO just get her back to Popo if that was so important. She gets controlled directly when they're together, after all.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I guess that can be the case...a series being represented by a Smash Run enemy, but I am doubtful.
The thing is, we've mostly been shown Smash Run enemies that have playable representatives because Smash already covers a huge swath of Nintendo's franchises.

Having said that, I don't find it particularly farfetched that Smash Run would potentially have enemies from series that are unrepresented by a playable character. For example, I don't think anyone here would be surprised if tanks from Advance Wars/Famicom Wars appeared, especially the goofier looking ones.

The idea that Rhythm Heaven (Sneaky Spirit) and Ice Climbers (Polar Bear) would be Smash Run enemies but not have any playable representation isn't particularly strange to think about, and it's not the first time Smash has had assets in a game, be it music, stage, or playable representative, without accompanying assets.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's possible that IC will be in the game, but they also opperate differently. Pikmin and Luma are more or less items or tools used by their master. IC are two characters that mimic each other. They take much more processing than those other 2 characters. And if the game cannot run smoothly with 4 of them on the screen then they will probably be cut.
Yeah, I agree. However, could it be possible they run at 30 fps compared to the other fighters that run at 60 fps?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Even if we are getting the Ice Climbers (or any other veteran from the DLC( or Chorus Man) back it wont reveal if the leak is fake or real.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
i really just don't see sakurai knowingly disappointing fans by taking out an outstanding character like Ice Climbers and setting them aside for 2 clones (doc and dark pit). It's possible, but it really just seems like something that would disappoint fans and I'm sure Sakurai knows that. This leak, IMO, is BS, very well done fake

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I agree. However, could it be possible they run at 30 fps compared to the other fighters that run at 60 fps?
Yeah, or just have nana run at 30 fps, so you can at least continue to control a character at 60 fps
i really just don't see sakurai knowingly disappointing fans by taking out an outstanding character like Ice Climbers and setting them aside for 2 clones (doc and dark pit). It's possible, but it really just seems like something that would disappoint fans and I'm sure Sakurai knows that. This leak, IMO, is BS, very well done fake
Clones like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are last minute additions to the roster for characters like IC who end up not being able to work in the end. Don't think that they were planned from the start and caused the cut of other characters

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleMacAndCheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicj
3DS FC
4124-6305-9419
As some people have said before, the IC's are different from Rosalina and Olimar. The Luma is almsot entirely player-controlled, and the Pikmin's only AI function is getting back to Olimar. Comapre this to Nana, who is in effect another CPU player. (Seriously, people have been able to change her AI level exactly like other CPU players in Melee!)

Edit::4greninja:'d
that does make sense because they do the exact same moves so itd make sense that 4 of them on screen would be an issue unless sakurai figures out something

D

Deleted member

that does make sense because they do the exact same moves so itd make sense that 4 of them on screen would be an issue unless sakurai figures out something
Have we seen gameplay of 4 pokemon//assist trophies being used at the same time during a 4 man fight?

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
As far as we know, Sakurai didn't specifically say they were working on or having trouble with the Ice Climbers, did he? From what I recall, he said they were having trouble with multi-character fighters and used the Ice Climbers as an example of what he was talking about, but that was before he'd announced Rosalina. If Rosalina had been announced, I'm sure he would've used her as the example.

So I don't think those comments were anything in particular for or against the Ice Climbers. They're just like any other longtime rep like Falco or Ness: unconfirmed, but obviously in the game.
The issue had to be graphical. The ICs in Melee (4 of them on the screen at once) caused framerate issues on some stages like Fountain of Dreams with the water reflections. The 3DS' limitations he was mentioned was probably the issue with 8 character models on screen at the same time. Rosa/Luma don't have that issue since Luma is more akin to a Pikmin than Nana. This also explains Olimar's 3 pikmin limit as well. There's not an easy solution to Nana for the 3DS except making her extremely low poly and that will look just unacceptable.

It would be very wise to simply accept the worst case scenario as fact. If you're wrong you'll be pleasantly surprised about their inclusion but if you're right you'll have already done your grieving for the ICs and it won't be that bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom