• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Because he may have seen Mewtwo in gameplay or seen something else to suggest it's playable, but didn't see it on the CSS, so he didn't know for sure?
Then why wouldn't he have posted an image of that?
I mean, does the guy not know that Mewtwo is a ridiculously requested character? Did he not think people would want to see images of his gameplay?
Just saying...it's oddly suspicious.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Seriously this leak is annoying. At this point all we can do is hope for a PotD to point us somewhere. An alternate costume, a stage, a veteran or a newcomer. Anything at this point can either disprove or confirm this leak.

Then why wouldn't he have posted an image of that?
I mean, does the guy not know that Mewtwo is a ridiculously requested character? Did he not think people would want to see images of his gameplay?
Just saying...it's oddly suspicious.
Do you think leakers ever post what people want to see? They always post stuff that just messes with our heads.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
I understood what you were suggesting but yeah, it sounds like the opposite of efficiency to me. I'm no expert myself, but it just seems like that sort of system leaves a lot of room for confused and conflicting reports from the different sub groups. Maybe not so much in Smash specifically, but I can imagine some situation in other games where in one half of the game would be very clearly E but another might be pushing on T, and if both groups didn't play the same parts to come to a decision on what to rate the game, it would lead to an arbitrary shoulder shrug and "let's just meet halfway" attitude. I don't know how seriously these people take their jobs, but to me it seems lazy more than anything.

As to the random icon thing, I strongly doubt that it as an option would be unavailable until unlocking all the characters. And didn't MASTERLINKX mention not long ago that the guy to put up the checkmark photo was NOT the same guy to post the actual leak? In that case there's no ambiguity or vagueness about the leak itself, just some guy trying to confuse the situation.
Here's how I see things getting done if this leak is to be believed (the roster screen one): Team A is tasked with a set of clips and videos that encompass half off all content offered in this game. Team B is tasked with the other half. We have already seen in the E3 Demos that the 3DS and WiiU versions had different characters available to test. Who's to say that the ESRB "teams" didn't receive the five or more characters we see missing from the GUI of the roster leak? What if Sakurai had this measure in place that if one of the team members on one team leaked screenshots, he would still have the other team's secrets to show us?

So essentially I'm saying:

Roster both ESRB teams see: X
Roster Team A sees: 5+ Unique to their videos
Roster Team B sees: 5+ Unique to their videos

which is similar to how the 3ds and wiiu rosters were handled at E3 as aforementioned.

A point on the "effectiveness" of this: If either team comes across content that would push the rating over, I feel like they would note it and bring it up in a meeting after all content has been reviewed, this is the only way I see this leak working. Either that, or we have that 5+ DLC characters thing proven true after all (which has already been confirmed false).

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Because he may have seen Mewtwo in gameplay or seen something else to suggest it's playable, but didn't see it on the CSS, so he didn't know for sure?
I suppose but that just brings up the question about other characters if he saw more than what's on the select screen then why not add them to the ?'d characters. According to that Masterlink guy what were seeing isn't the entire roster so you figure there's other characters left. Why would that other guy only see so much. You'd assume of he saw all this he had to have seen the entire roster.

edit: and I agree with @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed why not post pics with Mewtwo if he saw him

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Seriously this leak is annoying. At this point all we can do is hope for a PotD to point us somewhere. An alternate costume, a stage, a veteran or a newcomer. Anything at this point can either disprove or confirm this leak.

Do you think leakers ever post what people want to see? They always post stuff that just messes with our heads.

This alone should prove that the leak is bogus. He shouldn't want to mess with us, he should want to give us proof. Does he want people to doubt his work?

I suppose but that just brings up the question about other characters if he saw more than what's on the select screen then why not add them to the ?'d characters. According to that Masterlink guy what were seeing isn't the entire roster so you figure there's other characters left. Why would that other guy only see so much. You'd assume of he saw all this he had to have seen the entire roster.
^ This.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie

omg ridley confirmed
Oh god... Not this....

On a more serious note, I think it should be noted that this render looks notably more "3D Model" than full-body portrait like we've seen with everyone else. I'm looking around for renders that match it exactly, because we all know Ridley is Ridley. Different Leak though...

Isn't that his Brawl trophy?

I checked, his maw is much more "gaping" in the Brawl Trophy whereas here it is notably more closed.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just further backs up my thoughts of how easy it is to make up this stuff. I want to see gameplay. If DHD and Jr. Are in give me gameplay of them they're hard to fake. If not then the leak looks fishy

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Is the leak real? I strongly doubt it. I haven't commented about this leak yet (not in this thread at least) and just for fun I'll pretend the leak is real:

Character roster? It's very weird. I wanted Dr. Mario back, but he seems so...just there? I understand that planned alternate costumes can have their own slot if they have some differences but it still doesn't change my opinion that he stick outs like a sore thumb. Never in a million years I would of thought Dr. Mario would be the only returning Melee veteran. Would I be glad if he returned? Definitely! I just can't help but feel kind of bummed out for the supporters of the other three Melee cuts though.

Duck Hunt Dog? Personally I would need a lot of convincing to like him. He always seemed like a character I'd see as a stage background kind of thing on a Duck Hunt stage, not as a fully-fledged character. What would he do, exactly? Well I suppose I'd need to see how his move set functions before judging him but at face value he seems like a boring addition.

Bowser Jr. I never particularly cared for and it would be strange if Mario got so many representations. That would be seven with Yoshi and Wario practically spiritually linked to make it nine characters overall.

Dark Pit? Under normal circumstances I'd question his inclusion but I'd be a hypocrite considering I openly wanted Dr. Mario to return and welcomed Lucina with open arms. I just think it would be quite the devastating blow to many supporters of other franchises to see Kid Icarus have three reps while the other, older series can barely tread water.

For the veterans, I can understand why Ivysaur and Squirtle would get cut - they are redundant with Pokémon Trainer gone and Charizard was the obvious one to keep out of the trio. Snake? I imagine the process in getting him on-board could be quite problematic so I could understand that one too. The other three though? I don't see why they'd go at all. There would be no viable explanation for losing Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf.

Overall the roster would look weird if that was what we got. A random Melee veteran cut, three franchises get a reduced amount of reps and one of the unlikeliest Melee cuts comes back? The Mario series gets 7 (9) characters? Kid Icarus gets as much characters as Kirby, more than DK and Metroid? That would be quite the unorthodox parallel universe I'd find myself in!

The stage list on the other hand is garbage. What is this? This is suggesting the 3DS players won't get a new Star Fox, Metroid, Yoshi, WarioWare, Pikmin, Game & Watch or Donkey Kong stage? Not to mention Earthbound has no stage whatsoever, and neither do ROB and Duck Hunt Dog for that matter (unless Balloon Fighter and PictoChat are sadly their home stages). That stage list looks naked and quite honestly it would be the worst stage roster in a Smash game. Not even kidding. It's horrendous.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I thought it was pretty obvious it was fake, especially with the fact it practically says it's fake in the description, lol. I think this goes towards the fact that it's really not that hard to use photoshop to create fake stuff. If that person used a new Ridley render that hasn't been released, then everybody would go crazy.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Is the leak real? I strongly doubt it. I haven't commented about this leak yet (not in this thread at least) and just for fun I'll pretend the leak is real:

Character roster? It's very weird. I wanted Dr. Mario back, but he seems so...just there? I understand that planned alternate costumes can have their own slot if they have some differences but it still doesn't change my opinion that he stick outs like a sore thumb. Never in a million years I would of thought Dr. Mario would be the only returning Melee veteran. Would I be glad if he returned? Definitely! I just can't help but feel kind of bummed out for the supporters of the other three Melee cuts though.
Honestly, if Sakurai does this, it would make me think he wants his fans to feel like they've been robbed and trolled upon.
That would be a completely stupid move, especially since the other characters were wanted over Dr. Mario.
Do I think Sakurai is like that? Hell NO.

If he does do this, however, my opinion on him will instantaneously change, especially due to how lazy of an addition Dr. Mario would be.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Duck Hunt Dog? Personally I would need a lot of convincing to like him. He always seemed like a character I'd see as a stage background kind of thing on a Duck Hunt stage, not as a fully-fledged character. What would he do, exactly? Well I suppose I'd need to see how his move set functions before judging him but at face value he seems like a boring addition.

Bowser Jr. I never particularly cared for and it would be strange if Mario got so many representations. That would be seven with Yoshi and Wario practically spiritually linked to make it nine characters overall.

Dark Pit? Under normal circumstances I'd question his inclusion but I'd be a hypocrite considering I openly wanted Dr. Mario to return and welcomed Lucina with open arms. I just think it would be quite the devastating blow to many supporters of other franchises to see Kid Icarus have three reps while the other, older series can barely tread water.

For the veterans, I can understand why Ivysaur and Squirtle would be cut - they are redundant with Pokémon Trainer gone and Charizard was the obvious one to keep out of the trio. Snake? I imagine the process in getting him on-board could be quite problematic so I could understand that one too. The other three though? I don't see why they'd go at all. There would be no viable explanation for losing Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf.

Overall the roster would look weird if that was what we got. A random Melee veteran cut, three franchises get a reduced amount of reps and one of the unlikeliest Melee cuts comes back? The Mario series gets 7 (9) characters? Kid Icarus gets as much characters as Kirby, more than DK and Metroid? That would be quite the unorthodox parallel universe I'd find myself in!

The stage list on the other hand is garbage. What is this? This is suggesting the 3DS players won't get a new Star Fox, Metroid, Yoshi, WarioWare, Pikmin, Game & Watch or Donkey Kong stage? Not to mention Earthbound has no stage whatsoever, and neither do ROB and Duck Hunt Dog for that matter (unless Balloon Fighter and PictoChat are sadly their home stages). That stage list looks naked and quite honestly it would be the worst stage roster in a Smash game. Not even kidding. It's horrendous.
I agree the stages is what makes this leak look weak. Yoshi has plenty of handheld titles in his game series and yet he gets a past stage? DK gets a past stage despite Returns being on the 3DS? It dosent seem right. It's harder to make fake stages then characters on a select screen.

LifesJest

Smash Rookie

For the veterans, I can understand why Ivysaur and Squirtle would get cut - they are redundant with Pokémon Trainer gone and Charizard was the obvious one to keep out of the trio. Snake? I imagine the process in getting him on-board could be quite problematic so I could understand that one too. The other three though? I don't see why they'd go at all. There would be no viable explanation for losing Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf.

While I can respect your opinions about the additions this roster leak suggests are in the game, that's not really a basis for confirming/ deconfirming. We've seen Sakurai pull some really good movesets for characters who have literally no background in fighting, so I don't see oddity as a factor here. The "leak" image that shows "X" marks and a "?" mark on Mewtwo isn't actually part of this leak. If you consider my theory of what happened here with the roster leak (Page 72 I think...)(and it's seemingly random GUI and CSP placement) you'd see that there isn't really anything deconfimring those characters being in the game, there is just no evidence to support their presence with what we have right now.

I agree the stages is what makes this leak look weak. Yoshi has plenty of handheld titles in his game series and yet he gets a past stage? DK gets a past stage despite Returns being on the 3DS? It dosent seem right. It's harder to make fake stages then characters on a select screen.
Someone tell me if you heard this too, but I recall it being said that a stage for DK based on Returns was coming to WiiU.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
While I can respect your opinions about the additions this roster leak suggests are in the game, that's not really a basis for confirming/ deconfirming. We've seen Sakurai pull some really good movesets for characters who have literally no background in fighting, so I don't see oddity as a factor here. The "leak" image that shows "X" marks and a "?" mark on Mewtwo isn't actually part of this leak. If you consider my theory of what happened here with the roster leak (Page 72 I think...)(and it's seemingly random GUI and CSP placement) you'd see that there isn't really anything deconfimring those characters being in the game, there is just no evidence to support their presence with what we have right now.
The problem with that though, is that he said certain characters were IN FACT cut.
If he didn't know, he wouldn't of made this move, let alone...put a question mark on Mewtwo.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
The problem with that though, is that he said certain characters were IN FACT cut.
If he didn't know, he wouldn't of made this move, let alone...put a question mark on Mewtwo.
But didn't a mod discredit it, or say that "leak" was also confirmed to be 100% false earlier? (not being related to the leaks we're focusing on now aside)

Tectrix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tectrix

I would say that Wolf and Lucas are reasonable - They're from relatively small franchises and were both semi-clones. If Ice Climbers are cut, it's for technical reasons, as Sakurai mentioned having trouble with them on the 3DS. Also, in regards to DK and Metroid, it is generally assumed the leak isn't the full roster, so its possible that if it is real, they have newcomers on the way, newcomers who would probably bring a stage with them, meaning presumably there are at least a few stages not unlocked as well.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
But didn't a mod discredit it, or say that "leak" was also confirmed to be 100% false earlier? (not being related to the leaks we're focusing on now aside)
Um, no? If that were the case, it would not be posted on the starter-post, but rather, removed entirely.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX

edit: and I agree with @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed why not post pics with Mewtwo if he saw him
The chart leak was posted in a thread on /v/ that an Anonymous user asked: "Who's getting cut, /v/?"
This was the image that Anonymous (OP) posted in his thread.

He doesn't know anything, he just posted who he personally thought was getting cut by graying out certain characters.

3 hours later, someone took the Original Posters image and modified it with the unleaked at the time, Character Select Screen Icons.

As you can see, they are the same image, just modified with the addition of X's and CSS icons, as you can see Ganondorf, Falco and so on are still grayed out behind the icons.

This CSS icon leaker did nothing more than cross out the icons of characters he was supposedly sure are 100% cut, and then added all the icons of unconfirmed veterans/newcomers from the image he had. He seemed uncertain whether Mewtwo was in or not, so a "?" was placed. He had no image sources of Mewtwo, so he couldn't really post anything of the sort, but apparently knew something.

Only reason I see this was done is because he just grabbed OP's image and modified it, and it happened to have Mewtwo on it. If someone like Chorus Men or Dixie or whoever the hell are in the game, he clearly did not have any source materials containing imagery of them to use. So there was no reason for them to include a random google image of them with "?" on it.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
Um, no? If that were the case, it would not be posted on the starter-post, but rather, removed entirely.
Alright, I concede, but is there anything going for that specific leak? Validity of leaker? Known to be Credible? Anything? As far as we know, that leak could have been intended to mislead us just as much as MasterLinkX was with his "disablad" taste in photo manipulation just to add onto the pile of controversy (Though it would seem as of late that they are being pretty helpful, aside from not spilling the rest of the contents of their can of beans).

Anyways, it's nearly 4am for me so I think I'll check back tomorrow and see what's up.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

The 5 DLC characters are fake.
All those guys you see with a red cross on them are cut.
Mewtwo is an exception. Why ? Why isn't he confirmed or disconfirmed as the others ?
My theory :
Maybe the common source said he could be in. If this leak is real, it's not the final CSS... but doesn't mean the video didn't include all the characters.
Maybe (I use this word a lot) the source shared a certain amount of information, leaving some characters hidden in case he would be betrayed by the people with whom he shared intel, knowing it's not in the realm of possibility to trust them anymore. So it's possible all the characters are in the video, and it's also possible the common source didn't share everything.
Just said the list of 100% cut :
"So here are the characters cut : Snake, Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Roy, Young Link."
Without mentioning Mewtwo. Thus the leaker put a "?" On Mewtwo.
But we will see.

Oh, by the way, iirc, @ MASTERLINKX MASTERLINKX has the original picture with disabled instead of disablad. Dunno if it was posted in the thread, maybe page 5-6. Not saying it's "100% proof" but it would be the original pic.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
The chart leak was posted in a thread on /v/ that an Anonymous user asked: "Who's getting cut, /v/?"
This was the image that Anonymous (OP) posted in his thread.

He doesn't know anything, he just posted who he personally thought was getting cut by graying out certain characters.

3 hours later, someone took the Original Posters image and modified it with the unleaked at the time, Character Select Screen Icons.

As you can see, they are the same image, just modified with the addition of X's and CSS icons, as you can see Ganondorf, Falco and so on are still grayed out behind the icons.

This CSS icon leaker did nothing more than cross out the icons of characters he was supposedly sure are 100% cut, and then added all the icons of unconfirmed veterans/newcomers from the image he had. He seemed uncertain whether Mewtwo was in or not, so a "?" was placed. He had no image sources of Mewtwo, so he couldn't really post anything of the sort, but apparently knew something.

Only reason I see this was done is because he just grabbed OP's image and modified it, and it happened to have Mewtwo on it. If someone like Chorus Men or Dixie or whoever the hell are in the game, he clearly did not have any source materials containing imagery of them to use. So there was no reason for them to include a random google image of them with "?" on it.
So you're basically saying....he did see Mewtwo in the game.
This helps a lot, especially since this confirms that he did not know about Ness or Dr. Mario at first. Mewtwo could easily fit into this category of characters that were not known about at first.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I would say that Wolf and Lucas are reasonable - They're from relatively small franchises and were both semi-clones. If Ice Climbers are cut, it's for technical reasons, as Sakurai mentioned having trouble with them on the 3DS. Also, in regards to DK and Metroid, it is generally assumed the leak isn't the full roster, so its possible that if it is real, they have newcomers on the way, newcomers who would probably bring a stage with them, meaning presumably there are at least a few stages not unlocked as well.
The amount of quality Star Fox games may be small, but they are VERY popular and sell really well, also wolf is the main rival of Star Fox so him getting cut is pretty important, imo its as big of a blow as mewtwo was (even though clearly mewtwo is more popular.)

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo is an exception. Why ? Why isn't he confirmed or disconfirmed as the others ?
My theory :
Maybe the common source said he could be in. If this leak is real, it's not the final CSS... but doesn't mean the video didn't include all the characters.
Maybe (I use this word a lot) the source shared a certain amount of information, leaving some characters hidden in case he would be betrayed by the people with whom he shared intel, knowing it's not in the realm of possibility to trust them anymore. So it's possible all the characters are in the video, and it's also possible the common source didn't share everything.
"So here are the characters cut : Snake, Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Roy, Young Link."
But we will see.
I guess I was just being hopeful, Although I say I "main" Ike in SSBB, It was really a 50/50 deal where I'd play Lucas and wreck shop combo-ing players off the edge and finishing with his meteor smash.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
My theory :
But we will see.

Oh, by the way, iirc, @ MASTERLINKX MASTERLINKX has the original picture with disabled instead of disablad. Dunno if it was posted in the thread, maybe page 5-6. Not saying it's "100% proof" but it would be the original pic.
If we get a few hidden that's be nice. I'd like some secrets, assuming this is real
I thought you knew the entire roster?
But he's said in the past he will not share it. (Perhaps this is a hint)

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Well, I would LOVE to see Mewtwo here, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Makes the inevitable disappointment easier to bear, and it appears I'll already be mourning my main for the second game in a row, anyway.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well, I would LOVE to see Mewtwo here, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Makes the inevitable disappointment easier to bear, and it appears I'll already be mourning my main for the second game in a row, anyway.
Unless this leak is fake, whether it's fake or real Mewtwo isn't out yet buddy don't be down. I'm sure he will get in.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The guy wrote in the Shulk thread that the DLC thin is made up and that what's pictured isn't the entire roster it's in the second post of the OP
Well... maybe thats an assumption by him? Idk its seems on his posts in here he doesnt have the whole picture.

I feel your pain, I remember the only reason Mewtwo didnt hurt so bad was the fact I got wolf, and now they are taking him away too :cry:

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well... maybe thats an assumption by him? Idk its seems on his posts in here he doesnt have the whole picture.
Why would he make a definitive statement like that if it was an assumption? If it is an assumption then why is it relevant to this leak at all? It's no different to me saying the same thing and it getting added to the leak.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
I thought you knew the entire roster?
As I said before, I'm not here currently to post any additional information that isn't currently available to the public.
I'm not here confirm or deny characters, or tell how many characters are left or any of that sort.
I'm just trying to brush up on a few things here and there that I feel like won't be free additional confirmations of any sort.

What if he just casually confirmed Chorus Men and Dixie ? :troll:
I posted those specific character names as I've seen them being used in speculations around the public here and there.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
As I said before, I'm not here currently to post any additional information that isn't currently available to the public.
I'm not here confirm or deny characters, or tell how many characters are left or any of that sort.
I'm just trying to brush up on a few things here and there that I feel like won't be free additional confirmations of any sort.

I posted those character names as I've seen them being used in speculations around the public here and there.
Thanks for clearing up some things for me, regardless of how little/much you know.
I hope to see more then what we see here in the end, and from the info you gave me, I'm fairly certain we're not done here...not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom