• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but this has been bugging me:

Why are the shadows in this screenshot so terrible?
Both Melee and Brawl had extensive shadow graphics:
Brawl:

Melee:

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
Like I've said before, Lucas is perfect for dlc because mother fans will be all over it and nintendo knows there desperate for any representation

Tacel

Smash Lord
Bringing up a new point if you guys don't mind:

Has anybody else considered the fact that the Duck Hunt dog could potentially be an uncomfortable inclusion for many audiences? I'm sure a lot of people would not be okay seeing a Nintendo game where you get to beat a plain dog senselessly. And that's the kind of thing that would have had to be considered by the developers during the initial roster planning. Whether you agree with it or not, it's difficult to deny that there would be people attempting to give Nintendo a bad reputation for promotion of "animal abuse", which isn't something that a company ever wants to risk. And it's not like we're talking about a fantasy creature with special abilities here like Pikachu. This is a real world, domesticated animal.

It'll certainly be interesting to see if Sakurai took the risk. It doesn't take much to make a person feel upset/uncomfortable. This point doesn't necessarily do too much to argue against the leak, but it's certainly something new than what I've been seeing.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Nintendo has nothing for PETA after the all the tanooki and pokemon parodies. I don't see it stopping them from including him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Tacel Tacel DHD is a cartoon dog accompanied by cartoon ducks. It's fine to beat up cartoon animals. It isn't like they put in realistic puppies like Nintendogs in Smash.

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
I've always thought the best way to do Duck Hunt Dog and not have to worry about PETA/backlash would be to make his movements super exaggerated like a Looney Tune.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but this has been bugging me:

Why are the shadows in this screenshot so terrible?
Both Melee and Brawl had extensive shadow graphics:
Brawl:

Melee:
There are so many official screenshots and videos of the 3DS game you could have compared the shadows to. This leak isn't the only in game shot of the game we have.

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
Exactly. They were separated in Brawl. So it actually makes even more sense to separate them for Smash 3DS. It helps organize the stages and more importantly gives it a more professional and clean look instead of having it all forced into one small screen. Same thing could be said for the characters. If your going to have such a large roster, might as well separate them into two pages that could be flipped through using the L and R buttons.

EDIT: Again I am not stating that these things disprove the leak.
And past stages were separated in melee as well.

Tacel

Smash Lord
@ Tacel Tacel DHD is a cartoon dog accompanied by cartoon ducks. It's fine to beat up cartoon animals. It isn't like they put in realistic puppies like Nintendogs in Smash.
A cartoon aesthetic has never stopped people from starting a controversy in the past. I personally don't believe that this would have been a deal breaker for his inclusion, but I think that it's important to note when we look at the overall plausibility.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
And past stages were separated in melee as well.
Oh yeah I can't believe I forgot considering I was playing Melee yesterday. So there you go. Even if all stages are on one screen, you would expect the past stages to be grouped together like they were in Melee.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
You know...I've been thinking....perhaps the "Random" character slot ties in with Mewtwo's question mark status...
Could it be...him? But not unlocked yet...?

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
In response to a previous comment about the image quality provided to us in the leaks of Smash Bros. 3DS:

Here I have a photo I took on my iPod Touch (4th Gen) of a glitched out fighter color (completely black armor as apposed to a purple-tint of regular "dark fighters" in KI:U). So how is this relevant? While I myself am apart of #TeamReal, I always have to wonder why a clear image is so difficult to take, even on a 3DS? I'm using nearly decade-old equipment and I'd argue I have the image quality of a magazine picture you pick up at a store. The quality of these leaks are really suspect, but I have nothing to say on the "Tomodachi Life" part of the leak. I just can't conceivably know how the leaker would have known what the apartment's innards look like- it's actually different from the one in the actual game it comes from too.

I just can't understand how it appears to be some kind of ordeal to keep a camera, or phone, or what-have-you straight as you take a non-glaring image of a screen.

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
You know...I've been thinking....perhaps the "Random" character slot ties in with Mewtwo's question mark status...
Could it be...him? But not unlocked yet...?
I dunno, why out of all the characters, would they leave Mewtwo locked?

EDIT: Either way, the question mark is confirmed to be for random. That's what it was for the E3 demo. Different size could simply be because they tweaked it a bit.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I dunno, why out of all the characters, they leave Mewtwo locked?
Why leave a question mark on him then? Something doesn't fit here. If he wasn't in, he'd be X'd out like the rest.
Also, it's interesting to note that the Question Mark has a different size in comparison to the "Random Select" we had in the demo.

The guy put a question mark there. I believe he's trying to tell us that he IS the question mark at the bottom!

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
A cartoon aesthetic has never stopped people from starting a controversy in the past. I personally don't believe that this would have been a deal breaker for his inclusion, but I think that it's important to note when we look at the overall plausibility.
Nintendo literally doesn't care.

PETA gets angry at them for dressing Mario up in the skin of raccoon.

Nintendo responds by dressing up Mario in the skin of a cute little cat.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Why leave a question mark on him then? Something doesn't fit here. If he wasn't in, he'd be X'd out like the rest.
Also, it's interesting to note that the Question Mark has a different size in comparison to the "Random Select" we had in the demo.

The guy put a question mark there. I believe he's trying to tell us that he IS the question mark at the bottom!
Why would they leave Mewtwo locked though. A lot of people have already stated that Nintendo has to show the ESRB all unlockable and hidden content. Going off that statement, the question mark is just random.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Can somebody explain me why this image is still relevant to the leak? I see the icons of the CSS leak in there alright, but there is any relevance of the greyed out models of the Lucas, Wolfs, etc..or something?

This image could be a false lead like the DLC was.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Wasn't that list with the X's and question mark confirmed to be fake/not actually from the leaker of the other images?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Wasn't that list with the X's and question mark confirmed to be fake/not actually from the leaker of the other images?
No it wasn't, actually.

Why would they leave Mewtwo locked though. A lot of people have already stated that Nintendo has to show the ESRB all unlockable and hidden content. Going off that statement, the question mark is just random.
I don't think it's necessary if it's just another Pokemon when there are already other Pokemon.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
It's possible that although ESRB must be shown ALL content, hidden or not, that doesn't necessarily mean that all staff assigned to rate Smash Bros. saw all of the content. Here's a scenario to better illustrate my point: The ESRB staff dedicated to Smash Bros. Content is split into two groups, and among those two groups are different "groupings" of video content from the game. Staff Group 1 gets video content 1-50 containing different "modes" you can play in Smash along with most of the roster, minus special cases like DLC, and Staff Group 2 gets video content 51-100 containing the rest of the roster along with something like wi-fi to review. If the "leakers" only came from Staff Group 1, then that could explain why we only see part of the roster.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
That Chart was the first public leak of the character icons.
The person who posted it is not the same person who posted the actual leaked images.

"?" is on Mewtwo because the person didn't have 100% knowledge of whether he was in or not, so he didn't just leave Mewtwo grayed out like the rest.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
No it wasn't, actually.
I was confusing in with the DLC list I think then.

Regardless, other than the groupings thing that LifesJest mentions I don't see anyway that one can believe this leak as legit but not believe that the leaker must've had the complete roster there. And that's not to say I think the groupings thing makes all that much sense. If the idea is to get a general consensus of what the ESRB members think the game ought to be rated, it would be a pretty poor system to have those members look at different content.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
The person who posted it is not the same person who posted the actual leaked images.

"?" is on Mewtwo because the person didn't have 100% knowledge of whether he was in or not, so he didn't just leave Mewtwo grayed out like the rest.
So this begs the question on why he doesn't know if he's in....if he saw the entire roster..?
Why didn't he just state: "Oh btw, guys, Mewtwo isn't unlocked yet."
The vagueness seems unnecessary. If he's going to leak the roster, he should of done it knowing ALL of the cast, not some. This puts the validity of the rumor on stake imo. It seems more like he's trying to gain more attention by not being clear.
To be perfectly clear. If he's not there, he's not there. Don't put a question mark on your checklist if he's NOT IN.

Edit: Also, how could he know the other characters aren't there if he doesn't know about Mewtwo? He's basically saying he DOES NOT KNOW by that alone. What gives Mewtwo special qualities over Lucas or any of the others? Hm?

Done.

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
It's possible that although ESRB must be shown ALL content, hidden or not, that doesn't necessarily mean that all staff assigned to rate Smash Bros. saw all of the content. Here's a scenario to better illustrate my point: The ESRB staff dedicated to Smash Bros. Content is split into two groups, and among those two groups are different "groupings" of video content from the game. Staff Group 1 gets video content 1-50 containing different "modes" you can play in Smash along with most of the roster, minus special cases like DLC, and Staff Group 2 gets video content 51-100 containing the rest of the roster along with something like wi-fi to review. If the "leakers" only came from Staff Group 1, then that could explain why we only see part of the roster.
True. But do you really think that question mark in the leak is a locked character? I doubt Sakurai would make the hidden character icon almost identical to the E3 random character icon.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
True. But do you really think that question mark in the leak is a locked character? I doubt Sakurai would make the hidden character icon almost identical to the E3 random character icon.
Imo, it's a great way to hide the last character and make people believe they're done with unlocking.

Oh btw guys, here's Mewtwo. :troll:
*fireworks*

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
I was confusing in with the DLC list I think then.

Regardless, other than the groupings thing that LifesJest mentions I don't see anyway that one can believe this leak as legit but not believe that the leaker must've had the complete roster there. And that's not to say I think the groupings thing makes all that much sense. If the idea is to get a general consensus of what the ESRB members think the game ought to be rated, it would be a pretty poor system to have those members look at different content.
The gist of what I was saying is that maybe ESRB has groups for specific games, in this case it would be a group that rates Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. After that distinction is made, ESRB may subdivide those groups further to allow a more decisive way of tackling a game rating. Having staff-members gather and collect content seen in the game by dividing man-power up to reach their goal seems like a pretty logical solution to me, but what do I know?

Not really what I was saying. People noted how odd-shaped the "roster" from the leak looks (upside-down pyramid). I feel like the only explanation for this might be that the partially complete roster we see here is from the ESRB staff group that didn't get "the rest of the content", so-to-speak.

Last edited:

LifesJest

Smash Rookie
Imo, it's a great way to hide the last character and make people believe they're done with unlocking.

Oh btw guys, here's Mewtwo. :troll:
*fireworks*
The problem I see with this suggestion is: where would the random select icon go? I know people who genuinely enjoy adapting to a fight with a character they "suck" at playing. I actually enjoy this feature myself from time-to-time- and with the randomness of online stage-selection, it just seems out-of-place to outright get rid of random selection. I think this is a little off-topic though.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
The problem I see with this suggestion is: where would the random select icon go? I know people who genuinely enjoy adapting to a fight with a character they "suck" at playing. I actually enjoy this feature myself from time-to-time- and with the randomness of online stage-selection, it just seems out-of-place to outright get rid of random selection. I think this is a little off-topic though.
Um, how about put the actual random icon as an option after Mewtwo is unlocked?
It's really not that complicated.

Also guy, don't double post. :p

Last edited:

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122

Comedy gold right here.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Um, how about put the actual random icon as an option after Mewtwo is unlocked?
It's really not that complicated.

Also guy, don't double post. :p
That makes no sense. What's the point of "the Random icon is Mewtwo" theory if there's still going to be an icon with a question mark after Mewtwo is unlocked?

Last edited:

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Masterlink, I know you're not going to reveal information but do you know the fate of the final roster?

Just wondering if you know any more than we currently do pertaining to unknown characters like Ridley/Mewtwo etc.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The gist of what I was saying is that maybe ESRB has groups for specific games, in this case it would be a group that rates Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. After that distinction is made, ESRB may subdivide those groups further to allow a more decisive way of tackling a game rating. Having staff-members gather and collect content seen in the game by dividing man-power up to reach their goal seems like a pretty logical solution to me, but what do I know?
I understood what you were suggesting but yeah, it sounds like the opposite of efficiency to me. I'm no expert myself, but it just seems like that sort of system leaves a lot of room for confused and conflicting reports from the different sub groups. Maybe not so much in Smash specifically, but I can imagine some situation in other games where in one half of the game would be very clearly E but another might be pushing on T, and if both groups didn't play the same parts to come to a decision on what to rate the game, it would lead to an arbitrary shoulder shrug and "let's just meet halfway" attitude. I don't know how seriously these people take their jobs, but to me it seems lazy more than anything.

As to the random icon thing, I strongly doubt that it as an option would be unavailable until unlocking all the characters. And didn't MASTERLINKX mention not long ago that the guy to put up the checkmark photo was NOT the same guy to post the actual leak? In that case there's no ambiguity or vagueness about the leak itself, just some guy trying to confuse the situation.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

Do YOU know if Mewtwo is in or not? Hmmmm? HMMMMMMM?

jk I know you wont tell us anything.

Regardless, pretty sure it's just the Random button. Would be neat if they went back to the '?' boxes though.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
So you're basically implying that my speculation/opinion is a joke?
That's nice of you.
Alright, admittedly it was a tad rude, and I apologize, but still. That speculation you got there is really stretching it.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

I don't understand that, how could he know that all those other characters where cut but Mewtwo gets a question mark why not assume he's cut aswell. I'm assuming that person believed that to be the final roster. If he didn't then why not have pictures of other unknowns with ?s aswell.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Alright, admittedly it was a tad rude, and I apologize, but still. That speculation you got there is really stretching it.
You do realize anything is possible in the eyes of Sakurai, right? My opinion was not something stupid or so far-fetched as something like "Goku" might be.
No harm was really done, but I would advise you to think before you post something, especially if you might outright be insulting what could very well end up making you eat your own words in the end.
Be considerate, that's all I ask.

I don't understand that, how could he know that all those other characters where cut but Mewtwo gets a question mark why not assume he's cut aswell. I'm assuming that person believed that to be the final roster. If he didn't then why not have pictures of other unknowns with ?s aswell.
Exactly. The more you think on it, the less sense it makes.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Because he may have seen Mewtwo in gameplay or seen something else to suggest it's playable, but didn't see it on the CSS, so he didn't know for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom