• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Well, it wouldn't surprise me that excessive amounts of Pikmin made the gameplay laggy.

But Pikmin/Olimar is not the same case as the Ice Climbers.
Pikmin and Olimar may not be the same, but what about Rosalina and Luma which attack seperately from one another?

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
Well, it wouldn't surprise me that excessive amounts of Pikmin made the gameplay laggy.

But Pikmin/Olimar is not the same case as the Ice Climbers.
I always kind of assumed that It wasn't so much an issue with the coding but more so getting the iceclimbers to work as two people that can both grab, and still having them balanced with the other characters, but i'm not really sure,

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
Pikmin and Olimar may not be the same, but what about Rosalina and Luma which attack seperately from one another?
I also considered this, but again, rosalina and luma are not the literal exact same character like the two ice climbers, getting them to work as two characters and making them balanced as one is much more challenging, when rosalina and luma are two different things, so i assumed they were more like a 75% 25% character were as ice climbers was more 50/50 (sorry for double post)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Just so you're aware, Xenoblade Chronicles is around 70 hours of playtime if you go easy on the side quests. If you do all of the side quests, you'll be playing that game for a very very long time.

So that I'm on topic for this thread though, I gotta say that I'm not 100% convinced that this leak is real. Something about it feels...off to me. However, no definitive proof can be given one way or another right now. POTD or a character trailer soon should tell us if this is real or not.
I agree. We really shouldn't jump to conlcusions until we see a veteran or stage reveal.

Also, welcome!

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
While Ice Climbers have a bit more history under their belt, no one thought Mewtwo would be cut from Brawl, yet here we are. Sure it disappointed some fans, but Brawl still sold 12 million copies. IC would probably have a few more disappointed fans, but I see no reason to believe the disappointment would be that much greater then Mewtwo.

In short people no doubt argued, "I just don't think Sakurai would put in clones like Toon Link and Falco over an original character like Mewtwo. It would disappoint fans," but it happened. That said the Doc is way more cloney then those examples, but I think that comes from the clone backlash that caused Brawl to have no true clones. I think Sakurai has since learned that people don't really know what they want. Sure they complain when they see a clone, but only because for some reason they seem to think the alternative is some fully fleshed out character instead of no one at all.

He hasn't said so, but I bet that same psychological phenomena is why he isn't sure about doing DLC (or at least last we heard officially he was). No doubt the moment they make any people will cry unfair, despite the alternative being a world were those characters, game modes, stages, or costumes simply don't exist.

That said, this leak could still easily be fake, and we get Ice Climbers! Just prepare yourself. Picture leaks near release have a far greater probability of being real. Since this isn't a zero probability and smash has a tendency to disappoint diehard fans with the roster (whether this is an issue with our expectations or with Sakurai is a topic I dont want to touch, but the disappointment itself is irrefutable), we should prepare ourselves.
You have a good point with mewtwo but the only difference between mewtwo and ice climbers is that ice climbers were in two games. They would literally be the only character that were in melee and brawl that didnt make it to this game, it really doesnt make sense

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai claimed they hadn't YET had cause to make the rosters different between the versions. They did not promise that they wouldn't have to do so.

As for updates making it an "unfinished game"? Um. A loooot of games have had free updates. Like Fire Emblem: Awakening. No one complained about that.

Midge

Smash Apprentice
I'll be mad if the Ice Climbers were cut due to difficulties implementing them. Just gives further proof that the 3DS version shouldn't even exist if they were trying to make the rosters the same across both. X.x
You see, I'm getting kind of sick of this complaint. Yes the 3DS version exists, and it may be the cause of the Ice Climbers being cut.

But in the grand scheme of things, if Sakurai had his way, the 3DS version would be the only version. If anything, the Wii U version is holding back what the 3DS version could have been.

Not trying to come across hostile. Just giving my 2 cents.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
But in the grand scheme of things, if Sakurai had his way, the 3DS version would be the only version. If anything, the Wii U version is holding back what the 3DS version could have been..
Source?

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
I still don't trust the ice climbers getting cut thing, we're not even sure if it's going to happen, and honestly i feel like the 3ds should be able to handle them and that it's more of a balancing issue, if the gamecube can do it, i'm sure the 3ds can... (i love gamecube, i'm not saying it's bad or something)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I love how everyone's just like "If a Character is revealed, that decides it."
Ahahahah, NO.
You're looking at it wrong.
It's not only if Character A is revealed with Render A it's real, Render B it's fake.
It's also the STAGES we should be looking at.
I mean, look at all the times Sakurai just randomly reveals a Stage on the PotDs.
THAT is what mainly decides it.
If a stage isn't on the leak and Sakurai decides to show it on a PotD, and also if the stage IS on the leak and Sakurai shows it, then it's decided that way.
Characters also decides it, yes, but Stage Announcements are much more recurring.
Use your little heads, people.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I love how everyone's just like "If a Character is revealed, that decides it."
Ahahahah, NO.
You're looking at it wrong.
It's not only if Character A is revealed with Render A it's real, Render B it's fake.
It's also the STAGES we should be looking at.
I mean, look at all the times Sakurai just randomly reveals a Stage on the PotDs.
THAT is what mainly decides it.
If a stage isn't on the leak and Sakurai decides to show it on a PotD, and also if the stage IS on the leak and Sakurai shows it, then it's decided that way.
Characters also decides it, yes, but Stage Announcements are much more recurring.
Use your little heads, people.
I agree. We really shouldn't jump to conlcusions until we see a veteran or stage reveal.

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
Your point about Lucina is incorrect. Here is Sakurai's quote:

"However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

She was going to be an alt, but it was her abilities that changed that, not the fact that she is canonically a separate character.
Thanks for setting me straight on that. I always interpreted it as that characters can't have an alt of a separate character, and that Lucina's differing abilities were due to her being a new character, not the other way around.

sillyjeff

Smash Rookie
NNID
sillyjeff
So, just so I'm on the same page as everyone else, why, besides this leak, do people think that Duck Hunt Dog will be in? I mean, he's a classic character and all, but he just seems a little out of left field to me.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You see, I'm getting kind of sick of this complaint. Yes the 3DS version exists, and it may be the cause of the Ice Climbers being cut.

But in the grand scheme of things, if Sakurai had his way, the 3DS version would be the only version. If anything, the Wii U version is holding back what the 3DS version could have been.

Not trying to come across hostile. Just giving my 2 cents.
What? So the console with more power,storage, a bigger screen,better online,and better graphics is the one that's holding back the console that has lesser power,storage, and a smaller screen? That makes no sense.

I don't understand where you got the "if Sakurai had his way, the 3DS version would be the only version" part from. If you are saying that because they are showing more content from that version, it's because thats the version that's coming out first, so it makes sense to show stuff from the 3ds version. Once the 3ds version is released, we will see more wii u content. We don't know who's decision it was to make a 3ds version.

I would like the reason why the wii u version is holding back the 3ds, the fact that it will get lesser content that wii u version is because it's the weaker console with less storage.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
I'm not necessarily complaining. It just seems random. Up until this leak, I had not heard a word about Duck Hunt Dog being in the game.
you're right, and i agree, However i just relate it to rob, i wasn't a big smasher when brawl came out, but i kept up with the dojo and that was a huge curve ball, like where did he come from, But appearently someone had said sakurai said he was going to have a character no one else would guess... so if this leak is for real he's right, who would of thought duck hunt?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I compared the stage leak to the composer list and found most of the composers have not been confirmed for the 3DS version. The only stage that seems likely to return is Yoshi's Story from Brawl. The rest have either one or no composers returning.
I wouldn't take that as an exhaustive list (that or there were a ton fewer credited composers in Brawl than I thought), none of the Kirby composers I'd expect to be given are there either. Besides that, Green Hill Zone is already confirmed.

Last edited:

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Thanks for setting me straight on that. I always interpreted it as that characters can't have an alt of a separate character, and that Lucina's differing abilities were due to her being a new character, not the other way around.
Sure thing! I guess anything is fair game now... I really need to play Uprising to get a feel for Dark Pit...

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69923656

Uhhhh this is a thing. Guy is an ancient (meaning he's been around for several years) so maybe there's salt in this. Not sure.
Depends if mods/leakers can confirm this, else it's a claim like any other.

However, if true, since he saw the All-Star mode, it could mean all characters were in the video, since you need to have unlocked all the characters to play it (except if the rules have changed). I'll say I'm about 55% it's our final roster if true, 45% there are moar characters.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

Uhhhh this is a thing. Guy is an ancient (meaning he's been around for several years) so maybe there's salt in this. Not sure.
Topic was deleted. Only got through five pages.

NessInEagleland's source said something like

"I'm not a temple of honor, I just want to fix some misconceptions the community has about the leak" (paraphrasing)

The first temple part is word for word though.
EDIT:
Oh and he said All-Star mode has a lock icon over it before you unlock every character. Apparently Classic Mode's icon has Mario running over the stage select or something. Training has a dumbbell silhouette. Stadium has the bomb and Sandbag in the icon. And then one other mode(Can't remember which), had Mario, Link, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man in a similar pose/position to the 3DS boxart.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Lol at people saying the game won't be 'complete' if the Ice climbers are missing. Good and unique characters get cut all the time in different games for worse reasons, it would be perfectly fine for them to miss this iteration because of technical problems. Sure people gonna QQ because a character they like didn't make it, but the Ice climbers don't make or break this game in any way so people shouldn't be overreacting about them imo.

Don't forget that when you would turn on 4 cpu's playing Ice Climbers, you effectively get 8 A.I. controlled players in a match where every character can potentially hit 6 players at ones. Combine that with all the crazy items and the most eventful stage and you got yourself a great situation that can crash your game in multple ways. A lot of craziness has been added since melee like all the AT's and FS', It's not that weird to think that the 3ds might not be able to keep up with that. Whether they make it in or not, I fully expect a major overhaul on how they work if the make their way into the 3ds version.

#InBeforeIceClimbersAT

micstar615

Smash Ace

Aaaaand of course it gets deleted.

I only got to read the first page, for those who didn't get to see, basically he was reiterating that the leaks were from a video package sent to ESRB, and the leak is legit, didn't see any details about it being the final roster or not.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
He claimed that all the multi-man modes are back and that there would be a new one among them called "Rival Smash". This you can quote me on. He didn't know any details on the roster other than what's been shown. His name is "NessInEagleland", for future reference.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I wouldn't take that as an exhaustive list (that or there were a ton fewer credited composers in Brawl than I thought), none of the Kirby composers I'd expect to be given are there either. Besides that, Green Hill Zone is already confirmed.
I totally forgot about that picture! Thanks for the reminder.

Does anyone know if they kept some composers secret when they released the Brawl list?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I totally forgot about that picture! Thanks for the reminder.

Does anyone know if they kept some composers secret when they released the Brawl list?
They did; The list was in alphabetical order on the Dojo sans 2 composers who were added later. This is why I sincerely doubt the MGS4 composer means anything to Snake's chances.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
He claimed that all the multi-man modes are back and that there would be a new one among them called "Rival Smash". This you can quote me on. He didn't know any details on the roster other than what's been shown.
Rival Smash sounds kinda interesting..

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Also he said something related to All Star mode having a lock. Didn't look too much into that.

This is definitely a wait-and-see sort f thing.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Lol at people saying the game won't be 'complete' if the Ice climbers are missing. Good and unique characters get cut all the time in different games for worse reasons, it would be perfectly fine for them to miss this iteration because of technical problems. Sure people gonna QQ because a character they like didn't make it, but the Ice climbers don't make or break this game in any way so people shouldn't be overreacting about them imo.

Don't forget that when you would turn on 4 cpu's playing Ice Climbers, you effectively get 8 A.I. controlled players in a match where every character can potentially hit 6 players at ones. Combine that with all the crazy items and the most eventful stage and you got yourself a great situation that can crash your game in multple ways. A lot of craziness has been added since melee like all the AT's and FS', It's not that weird to think that the 3ds might not be able to keep up with that. Whether they make it in or not, I fully expect a major overhaul on how they work if the make their way into the 3ds version.

#InBeforeIceClimbersAT
You dont understand the arguement here. The limitations have nothing to with it because rosalina and luma are a team character and why cut a retro team character to add a retro team character such as duck hunt dog. Im not even a fan of the ice climbers but that just doesnt make sense when developing a game

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
What if Rival Smash was a 2-player mode, where you have to beat more opponents than player 2 hwo is playing with you ?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
You dont understand the arguement here. The limitations have nothing to with it because rosalina and luma are a team character and why cut a retro team character to add a retro team character such as duck hunt dog. Im not even a fan of the ice climbers but that just doesnt make sense when developing a game
Luma does not have the same effect on the system as Nana does. As far as I understand it, she might take up too much RAM or the hardware may be too limited to support 8 ICs onscreen, so they had to cut it. Remember that Nana has the data of an actual character, and she has to path find if sh'es separated from Popo. Luma has to deal with little to none of this.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Rosalina & Luma =/= Ice Climbers

Luma, with Rosalina, is NOT a character, he is just a little bit over the Pikmin. It's like a "sentry", a trap, a C4 àla Snake.
However Nana is like a character. It's like having a CPU with you. She moves, thinks alone when separated, etc...
There is not a duo-characters that equal the Ice Climbers atm, the only one I could see is "Duck Hunt".

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Luma does not have the same effect on the system as Nana does. As far as I understand it, she might take up too much RAM or the hardware may be too limited to support 8 ICs onscreen, so they had to cut it. Remember that Nana has the data of an actual character, and she has to path find if sh'es separated from Popo. Luma has to deal with little to none of this.
From the game play ive seen with rosalina she fights alot like the ice climbers concerning luma and even luma had the same death animation as a character would and that still doesnt explain duck hunt dog because obviously he is a team character

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
If you think a star that can only randomly jump around the stage, reacts directly to player inputs and doesn't even reacts to hits as normal characters do can even compare to a full blown A.I., you got no idea what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom