• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Im really nervous that Bowser Jr. may be a Diddy clone since im just like the marines, i am the few, the proud, who actually like him and the clown copter is such a cool concept too. His up special is him launching himself up like diddy with the jetpack neutral is the cannon which travels at the same speed as diddys peanut, hes supposed to throw down little robo toys like did throws down the bananas, and idk what his side special is. better not be some jumping crap :| . not sure if his side is the boxing gloves or not tho
Yeah, none of that invokes Diddy clone in my mind. Palutena has a rocket jump too. Both Megaman and Sonic have spring jumps. Shulk and Marth slash upwards with their jumps.

The cannonball doesn't seem to behave anything like the peanut. And we haven't seen enough to say anything about the other moves.

at the very least he may just be an assist trophy
Maybe so but that is very clearly fake.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yeah, none of that invokes Diddy clone in my mind. Palutena has a rocket jump too. Both Megaman and Sonic have spring jumps. Shulk and Marth slash upwards with their jumps.

The cannonball doesn't seem to behave anything like the peanut. And we haven't seen enough to say anything about the other moves.

:3 I can't wait to see Bowser Jr.'s Monkey Flip and Banana Peel. That'll make complete sense! :awesome:

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573

well while I clearly see that it may not straight out show him as a clone, its just my two cents on the character, ive only seen the 30 seconds of gameplayfr omthat leak so id have to play him to determine it for myself.

again, just my two cents

Raijinken

Smash Master
I agree, this has stopped being discussion (especially since the first few posts also stopped being updated) and has started being just another speculation thread. It's only a week and a half til we learn all. We can be patient.

Wait, no we can't, I want the game now dangit.

What console do you think of when you hear "Sonic the Hedgehog" or Pacman? Probably not a nintendo console.
For Sonic, I cringe, then think of A2B on Gamecube, before remembering the Genesis. For Pac Man, I have the NES copy of Pac Man, and the SNES copy of Ms Pac Man, so Nintendo again. Same for Megaman, regardless of recent games, I think of the first seven regular and first three X on Nintendo systems. Which is rather natural for a Nintendo crossover series. Snake's the biggest oddball, and even then I still think of Metal Gear on the NES since it's the only one I played.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Im really nervous that Bowser Jr. may be a Diddy clone since im just like the marines, i am the few, the proud, who actually like him and the clown copter is such a cool concept too. His up special is him launching himself up like diddy with the jetpack neutral is the cannon which travels at the same speed as diddys peanut, hes supposed to throw down little robo toys like did throws down the bananas, and idk what his side special is. better not be some jumping crap :| . not sure if his side is the boxing gloves or not tho
His up special is near-instantaneous, from what I remember. No charge to it. The only similarity really is the explosion.

As for the standard B, there's a line from that old Smash machinima series, "Everyone knows that the standard B-move is a crappy projectile". Not to mention it doesn't at all travel like Diddy's peanuts.

The Mecha Koopas aren't going to be like the bananas at all, from what I can tell from the video. The Clown Car opens a hatch in the bottom and the toy walks out. They may be like a slower version of Ice Climber's standard B, or perhaps like Dedede's Waddle Dees and Doos from Brawl. Or maybe they just sit there and are like mines. It seemed to be destroyed near-instantly in the video, so I dunno.

On top of all of this, pretty much all of his A-moves will likely be unique given his model, so no worries.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573

well while you are clearly right in that respect, that's just my two cents on him, ive only seen the 30 seconds of gameplay like everybody else and don't really know anything else about. we just have to wait for the game to come out

again just my two cents

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Palutena has a rocket jump...

Rocket Jump...

SOLDIER CONFIRMED FOR SMASH!

(tf2 forum joke, might be kinda niche)

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
His up special is near-instantaneous, from what I remember. No charge to it. The only similarity really is the explosion.

As for the standard B, there's a line from that old Smash machinima series, "Everyone knows that the standard B-move is a crappy projectile". Not to mention it doesn't at all travel like Diddy's peanuts.

The Mecha Koopas aren't going to be like the bananas at all, from what I can tell from the video. The Clown Car opens a hatch in the bottom and the toy walks out. They may be like a slower version of Ice Climber's standard B, or perhaps like Dedede's Waddle Dees and Doos from Brawl. Or maybe they just sit there and are like mines. It seemed to be destroyed near-instantly in the video, so I dunno.

On top of all of this, pretty much all of his A-moves will likely be unique given his model, so no worries.
that's good to know. I could tell his standard moves would be original. but we cant really tell if his up special is a charge since diddy could fire himself instantaneously too without any charge. i didn't see him use his toys tho, could i maybe see a screenshot/pic or a link to the video?

RedHotRubberDucky

Smash Cadet

Rocket Jump...

Sadly Soldier is only coming to the PC version. PewDiePie is also downloadable character along with Game Grumps. They replaced Ice Climbers. Again PC only in a DLC pack called *** Pack.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Sadly Soldier is only coming to the PC version. PewDiePie is also downloadable character along with Game Grumps. They replaced Ice Climbers. Again PC only in a DLC pack called *** Pack.
Wait, are you calling Soldier four asterisks? He earned every one of those medals he made.

And I dunno, I heard Grep is coming with a Classic Grumps alt so that might be p coolz.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
What console do you think of when you hear "Sonic the Hedgehog" or Pacman? Probably not a nintendo console.
When I think of Pacman, I think of the Nintendo 64.
When I think of Sonic, I think of the Gamecube.
Also, might I add, I know a lot of people who say when they think about Pacman, Sonic, and even Megaman, they think about a Nintendo console.

Yeah but even if it did it more than likely wouldn't make it any closer to Nintendo. Ask yourself, when you think of Metal Gear Solid, what console comes to mind? I'm sure that your honest answer would not be a Nintendo console.
Kojima even said himself he doesn't plan on bringing any new MGS games to a Nintendo console (which, on another note, is why I was against Snake coming back for this game.).

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787

Rocket Jump...

Wow, this was jarring to see here.. YoshiSoldier on spuf. Who is you on there?

Anyway. It seems really clear to me that Sakurai did this POTD so that people would stop overreacting and cancelling preorders, based on what was thought by many to be the final roster. Very smart move.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
My SPUF account...

...is Zango.
I saw that one coming. Never seen you tho.

Question I've been meaning to ask in this thread: are we for sure going to get the roster from those who get early copies? Or can they also be held to keeping secrets by Nintendo?

Zango

Smash Apprentice
I saw that one coming. Never seen you tho.

Question I've been meaning to ask in this thread: are we for sure going to get the roster from those who get early copies? Or can they also be held to keeping secrets by Nintendo?
People with review copies and the like are assuredly under some kind of obligatory contract; but seeing as the Japanese release is just 2 weeks away it hardly matters.

(Although it ends up leaking somehow usually anyways)

Last edited:

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
Can we all just take a few posts of silence to remember Ice Climbers. May they make an awesome return in Smash 5

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Can we all just take a few posts of silence to remember Ice Climbers. May they make an awesome return in Smash 5
Or maybe they could've simplified Nana's AI somehow. Kind of a straw grab due to leaks and stuff, but, hey.

Or maybe there's a local co-op mode where another player plays as Nana...

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
While you guys are being all somber, I'll just be over here celebrating. Wooooooooooooooooooo!

Yeah, I never cared much for the ice climbers. Sorry guys.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
While you guys are being all somber, I'll just be over here celebrating. Wooooooooooooooooooo!

I've never particularly enjoyed them either, but I've never plotted their demise from some doom fortress in New Jersey.

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
Or maybe they could've simplified Nana's AI somehow. Kind of a straw grab due to leaks and stuff, but, hey.

Or maybe there's a local co-op mode where another player plays as Nana...
I say get rid of nana for now, give popo a second hammer and let him be able to use all the moves he and nana would use but with both hands sorta if you get what i mean

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573

neither did I but it feels weird not having them in smash 4 now

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
I've never particularly enjoyed them either, but I've never plotted their demise from some doom fortress in New Jersey.
new jersey isn't that bad, its just filled with drug addicted ands ex craving teens that's all

gamer8

Smash Lord

Yeah you know I was actually really surprised so many people have been upset at the Ice Climbers being cut. To me they were the most uninteresting characters in Smash. I dunno.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
People with review copies and the like are assuredly under some kind of obligatory contract; but seeing as the Japanese release is just 2 weeks away it hardly matters.

(Although it ends up leaking somehow usually anyways)
It's more likely that some store will accidentally release it early.

...Or some guy who works at a store will take a copy once they get them in stock and then leak it.

Oh man I really wanna work at a store now.

@ rayman33 rayman33 you can hit "reply" on multiple posts in order to quote more than one person in a single post. That'll help prevent double and triple posts :)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Okay, I'll try to be a little more clear. Sorry if this is a little long. A sliding system of roster expansion was used in Brawl. SSB4 seems to use the exact same system. In this system, characters are in a fixed order horizontally based on their position in the final roster. When a character is unlocked, it appears in its set place and all the characters after that new addition shift right to accommodate them. If a character is at the end of a row when a character is added before them, that character moves to the start of the next row.

It's a very hard system to explain, so take a look at the final Brawl roster, then compare it to the starting roster:

While the characters in a series were grouped vertically in Brawl's final roster, the order of characters which is fixed is actually the horizontal order. So the order in the starting roster is Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus... Wario, Olimar, Lucas. If you compare that to the final roster, you will see it is completely consistent. Wario is to the left of Olimar. Olimar is to the left of Lucas. There are additions in between them, but the horizontal order is constant.

To see what happens when a character is added, let's use Marth as an example. From the final roster we know Marth's final spot is between Pikachu and G&W. So if he is added to the starting roster, he will be added in the same horizontal spot to the right of Pikachu, before Diddy Kong. Now the roster shifts to accommodate Marth. Diddy Kong will shift down to the start of row 2, where all the characters will shift right to fit him, in turn pushing Ice Climbers to row 3. Knowing what the final Brawl roster looks like, you can now see that Diddy Kong is moving toward his final place in row 2 under Donkey Kong. Similarly, Zelda is advancing toward her final place under Link. And we can predict that there needs to be one more addition between Marth and Diddy to push Diddy and Zelda where they need to go. This is Luigi. (there's actually two additions, G&W and Luigi, since a 9th column eventually appears, but you get the idea) . Peach will eventually end up at the start of row 3, so Luigi, G&W, Falco, and Snake (again the 9th column makes things screwy) need to be added to push her far enough to the right to drop down a row.

This system is used for every character, so that characters can be unlocked in any order. It doesn't matter who else is unlocked, because no matter what the character will go to their set location, regardless of if their final neighbors are there or not. If say, Falco is unlocked first, he fits after Meta Knight and before Pokemon Trainer. If you could somehow unlock Toon Link first, he would fit between Wario and Olimar.

So, what does this all mean for SSB4? Well as you said, the Japanese eShop roster is a lot better organized than the seemingly random Brawl starting roster. However, the rosters appear to change by the same mechanic. The horizontal relationship between characters never changes between the demo, leak, and eShop CSS's, new unlocks are simply added between them. The reason the SSB4 starting roster looks so organized compared to Brawl's starting roster is that characters in the same franchise are grouped horizontally this time, not vertically like Brawl. As a result, franchises shift horizontally together. Still, this will make it quite common for characters to get separated from their franchises when one rep is bumped down a row. For instance, if the eShop roster is the starting roster and Wario is the first unlockable, he would fit between Rosalina and DK, and would bump Diddy down to the start of row 2. The DK characters would be separated. Dr. Mario will eventually be added to bump DK down with Diddy, but until the roster nears completion there will usually be a couple stragglers here and there. However in the leaked roster not a single character is separated from their franchise. This makes it very likely that what we are seeing is the final roster.

The only series which could have additions in the leaked roster without forcing franchises to split across rows are Pokemon, Star Fox, clones, and characters from so-far unrepresented franchises, and there are only a few combinations that will work.
Thanks for explaining that. Yet, what then keeps things such as your Wario scenario from happening? That seems like a pretty big issue you bring up- that characters being unlocked along the way may push out characters from one row to the next.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Pac-Man: Playstation (Pac Man World)
Sonic: Gamecube (SA, SA2, Heroes) I never really had a dreamcast, and the 3D Sonic games to me were the greatest with the super saiyan transformations and the Crush 40... Good times.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
When I think of Pacman, I think of the Nintendo 64.
When I think of Sonic, I think of the Gamecube.
Also, might I add, I know a lot of people who say when they think about Pacman, Sonic, and even Megaman, they think about a Nintendo console.

Kojima even said himself he doesn't plan on bringing any new MGS games to a Nintendo console (which, on another note, is why I was against Snake coming back for this game.).
Where has he said that? All I've seen is him saying, "We'll bring it if there is demand." and then comment about making a unique game for the gamepad.
If you want another mgs on a nintendo console, people should have bought snake eater 3d, instead people went and bought the angry birds triology on 3ds.
For reference:
Snake Eater 3d: 300k units sold
Angry Birds Trilogoy: 500K units sold
*from VGchartz

rayman33

Smash Cadet
NNID
raymondthemaster
3DS FC
0344-9399-1573
It's more likely that some store will accidentally release it early.

...Or some guy who works at a store will take a copy once they get them in stock and then leak it.

Oh man I really wanna work at a store now.

@ rayman33 rayman33 you can hit "reply" on multiple posts in order to quote more than one person in a single post. That'll help prevent double and triple posts :)
ooohh ok thanks im new here, still learning the ropes :D

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Where has he said that? All I've seen is him saying, "We'll bring it if there is demand." and then comment about making a unique game for the gamepad.
If you want another mgs on a nintendo console, people should have bought snake eater 3d, instead people went and bought the angry birds triology on 3ds.
For reference:
Snake Eater 3d: 300k units sold
Angry Birds Trilogoy: 500K units sold
*from VGchartz
I'd totally buy Snake Eater 3D now but our Campus wifi doesn't support Nintendo's limited wifi connection options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom