• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i just finished one of the main characters from my series - I just need to draw a version that isn't on notebook paper

Would anyone look if I create my own art thread here?

Geist

Smash Master
I did. It was in the critique thread though.
I don't do much really. Nothin fancy at least. I'm a cartoonist.

:phone:
Ah cool, I didn't catch that. I really should subscribe to that thread, because I never check the ones that don't show up in my user cp lol
Did you actually want a critique on it btw? I'm not sure if you posted it there because you found that thread first or what not. I actually have a friend who used to do some sweet custom paint jobs and mods on controllers consoles and PCs.

Either way, if you're a hobbyist it would still be fun to post some stuff, be it finished products or in-progress work. Sometimes we get into pretty good information exchanges, and crits and tips and stuff in this thread so stuff to fuel those would be cool.
It helps that a few of us are getting into art professionally, or already are, and we come from all around the board of styles and mediums, so you'll probably learn a lot if you post here regularly.
i just finished one of the main characters from my series - I just need to draw a version that isn't on notebook paper

Would anyone look if I create my own art thread here?
I'd take a look, but I think the general rule of thumb Neon Ness follows is that you should have multiple pieces to show off. Just making sure you know :D

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Ah cool, I didn't catch that. I really should subscribe to that thread, because I never check the ones that don't show up in my user cp lol
Did you actually want a critique on it btw? I'm not sure if you posted it there because you found that thread first or what not. I actually have a friend who used to do some sweet custom paint jobs and mods on controllers consoles and PCs.

Either way, if you're a hobbyist it would still be fun to post some stuff, be it finished products or in-progress work. Sometimes we get into pretty good information exchanges, and crits and tips and stuff in this thread so stuff to fuel those would be cool.
It helps that a few of us are getting into art professionally, or already are, and we come from all around the board of styles and mediums, so you'll probably learn a lot if you post here regularly.

I'd take a look, but I think the general rule of thumb Neon Ness follows is that you should have multiple pieces to show off. Just making sure you know :D
Thanks! Yeah crit is ALWAYS accepted. It is a work in progress. So I'm definitely down for some learning and allllllll that.

This was freehand btw.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've got a question about palettes

How do you keep a coherent palette for pieces? Do you just instinctively know which colors to use, or is their some kind of algorithm to figure it out?

I've almost exclusively drawn in black and white

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I'd say it has to do with a lot of practice and experimentation to see what works. Studying color theory can help a lot but a big part of it is personal preference, and trying to figure out what your 'audience' expects. As a result I don't think there's really a perfect colors algorithm. It also depends on the kind of mood you want to convey.

I would say experiment with colors, just blot things down and see what works, alongside studying about the more technical side of color theory to understand the 'why's of what colors look good together. I'm not much of a painter but as far as I know learning how to mix traditional paints to get specific colors better helps you understand the relationships between colors, which is a key factor in creating a harmonious palette. It's different than using the color picker in Photoshop and jumping straight to the color you're looking for.

Geist

Smash Master
Woah whoops, I haven't been on in a while.
Why is this place so dead :[

EDIT: I've decided to switch over to corel painter instead of photoshop. I don't know why I didn't just do it before. But now I have full time access to a cintique. Be jealouuusssss everybody
Thanks! Yeah crit is ALWAYS accepted. It is a work in progress. So I'm definitely down for some learning and allllllll that.
Yup, I critiqued it in the other thread. More appropriate that way. Sorry it took so long, I got caught up with things lol

I've got a question about palettes

How do you keep a coherent palette for pieces? Do you just instinctively know which colors to use, or is their some kind of algorithm to figure it out?

I've almost exclusively drawn in black and white
Yeah practice and experimentation helps, and pretty much all of what Neon said.
Just spend a while slapping colors on a drawing in photoshop for starters and studying other people's paintings online. CGHub.com is a great place to start. It's a forum sight for industry professionals and has a pretty high quality standard.
There are tricks that people use that can help build on your basics, some of them are much more complicated than others. You really have to know how light and colors work.
In a nutshell, no color exists in a vacuum. In real life, pretty much every color in an environment is affecting everything around it to a certain degree. Light bounces off of things, reflects, refracts, and brings colors with it as it goes. If you put your hand near a wall, odds are you'll be able to see your skin tone reflect and change the color of the wall. The trick is now to be able to realize that the color being reflected on the wall is not actually your skin tone, but a combination of both. It'll have less saturation, discoloration from the color of the wall and the surrounding light, and to a much lesser extent, even the color of the wall with be reflecting on your hand which in turn reflects back at the wall!
This is only a really simple example. Objects are all made of certain materials and each material has different specularity, reflectivity, glossiness, and more. This affects how the colors of these objects will interact with everything else.
Shadows behave a similar way, only with the absent of light. this darker color also does not exist in a vacuum. It isn't simply 'color x + black'. That makes things look flat. Shadows will often take the color of their surroundings, because even though they're an absence of light, there is still small amounts of light reaching them. Otherwise they'd be pitch black.

Of course this is just how color in realism works, or at least a really small part of it. In a way though, realistic color is easier to do than impressionistic colors (at least to do them well) since you need to know how to do the real stuff well enough as a first step to know how to exaggerate it properly.

There really is a special sight that you have to develop to perceive color, and knowing how light works is the first step to breaking down walls of basic perception and really digging into the science of it all.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Hmm, seeing Disco's wii, this actually makes me want to do the same to my wii..
Except with something different, probably Blue-Goggles Pikachu.

Geist

Smash Master
How is painter? Tried the trial for a few days but then life attacked, so I couldn't get a feel for it.

The brushes are pretty much objectively better than photoshop, and the convenience of a lot of the features makes me prefer it to photoshop, at least for painting. It's obviously not as powerful as an image manipulation tool.
Painter reads PSDs and PS reads the .rif file so it's nice switching between the two.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Can anyone point me to some new interesting artist? My style has pretty much stagnated and I feel like I need to go into a new direction to keep growing. Some examples of my current style:
[COLLAPSE="Here"]
[/COLLAPSE]

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
:O Hello all~ So...I never realized SWF had an artwork emporium thing... interesting I don't really draw/paint much though BUT i make plushies which is art right? xD

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes, that's an art form.

Why not post images of a few of them? I'm sure some of us here would like to see. Oh! And welcome to the Emporium. Enjoy your stay.

:cool:

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
lol Xonar xD and okiesssssssss

He's my newest creation~

Gasai was my first plushie <3 still one of my favorites~

Homura was my hardest xD

Okay :D

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Those are actually pretty dang good. I would even ask for a commissioned piece if I could.

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
Thanks xD I'm currently working on rarity from my little ponies but so much work took me all day yesterday to come out with a head pattern ;-; so worth it tho :3

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Oh dear, you're currently dabbling in the art of MLP FiM plush. Impressive previous works though, if I had spare money, which probably is never, guess I'll just have to dream of paying for a commission.

Top Bottom