• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
Not disturbing....but I got grief for it back in high school cus parents thought it was anti social of me

Because it was

But drawing gets impulsive
It's like drugs - you NEED your fix of art.
Like, if I don't have access to some form of art supply for long periods of time to at least doodle with, I actually get anxious
Drawing calms me

Now that I'm in art school, it's deemed less anti social and more 'WOW LEMME SEE THAT SKETCHBOOK CAN YOU DRAW ME WHAT DO YOU DO OMGGGGG'
'hi lemme draw in peace do I even know you?'

:phone:
I got the same reaction for a bit, but I eventually became known as that 'art guy' in school and people stopped caring, mostly because I was still social and everything.
Also I'm the exact same way with getting anxious if I don't draw. I just have to be constantly scribbling.

As of now I bring a small pocket sketchbook everywhere and draw interesting people on transit. Sometimes I get weird looks and the occasional person who doesn't like being drawn but most of the time even random people are pretty supportive when they see my stuff.

neous

Smash Journeyman
I rip off old flyers hanging around bus stops and use the backs to draw people on the bus, regardless of self consciousness. but no one minds because im so kawaii and non threatening.

they just think, o, look at that cute little kid trying to draw me.

i then hand the drawing to either that person i drew or a random person/cute asian as i exit the bus, optionally spewing wtf fortune cookie sayings in a sexy-as-possible-+serious-voice as we "meet" for that split second and then immediately part ways leaving them perplexed and hopefully intrigued and aroused, never to see each other again-

er until we awkwardly meet again on the next bus ride.

Its good practice.

-

me: "Combine love and skill. And expect a masterpiece." :I
*hands her a drawing of mainly boobies*
her: :I

Geist

Smash Master
really
if I give people drawings in public I just go 'happy birthday' and walk off
just in case by some chance it is actually their birthday

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
I don't think I'd be that social to go up and give a person a drawing of them. At least not of strangers, though last I remember of one for classmates was middle school.

Otherwise closest I was to drawing in public was volunteering in Big Brother Big Sister and it was quite the reverse where once kids saw my sketchbook, they brought their pokemon cards to me and asked me to draw it for them-- tore it from my sketchbook and then gave it to them after I shaded and scanned it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hey guys

if u dont know already, i am catholic and like to pray a lot. so while i was in the chapel today i sketched this picture of Ste. Jehanne (joan of arc) and Ste. Thérèse of Lisieux

i like them both a lot

i realized that i have no idea what a carmelite habit looks like, and i had no way of accessing a picture in the chapel. so i just guessed and i was very wrong. o well, LOL i'll do it right next time now that i have a better idea.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Shvakahskfbxjshsjdovnabd Joan of arc
The most bada** female saint <3333

Looks good :O they look peaceful = u =

Lol too many orders have too many habits.

Geist

Smash Master
heyheyhey
I use smudge almost exclusively and I take offense to that.

Also for you folks who haven't seen it yet:

done with the smudge tool and sometimes a brush too I guess

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's like you can use the smudge tool only on a white canvas and just pull out miracles

so nice geist

Geist

Smash Master
well I literally throw goops of colors on the canvas and then move the colors around until they make things.
I could post a painting that hasn't been smudged yet and you can see how awful it looks

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
god ****ing damn that ***** can draw a fine looking ***** like none other

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
You can do that with the smudge tool o_o?

That's awesome Geist; the smudge tool for me ends up as the creating a black hole/swirling vortex effect in my painting DX.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
smuuuuudgee toooooool

I would actually prefer to paint in Corel Painter because it has really nice brushes and color mixing, some of them like better versions of Photoshop's smudge tool, but that program has interface issues

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Problem with me using the smudge tool is it makes my computer chug like it's got sludge in the oil tank.

:T

Geist

Smash Master
You can do that with the smudge tool o_o?

That's awesome Geist; the smudge tool for me ends up as the creating a black hole/swirling vortex effect in my painting DX.
Thanks lol
For whatever reason it's always made more sense to push colors around rather than be really precise with brushes

smuuuuudgee toooooool

I would actually prefer to paint in Corel Painter because it has really nice brushes and color mixing, some of them like better versions of Photoshop's smudge tool, but that program has interface issues
I liked corel the first timeI used it, then gradually began to like it less and less the more I messed around with it.
I realized that I'm not concerned with what my brush strokes look like in a digital painting because I'm either trying to hit realism or I'm trying to speedpaint. Then there's the whole physical paint tool in photoshop that works about 3 times better than anything in corel.
and yeah the interface :/
Problem with me using the smudge tool is it makes my computer chug like it's got sludge in the oil tank.

:T
:C
smudge is one of the reasons I don't use huge canvases anymore

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
And that's something I just cannot compromise with, bro.

I find the the large canvas size will work out better than having a smaller one to allow smudge to work because, with enough crafting know how, you could potentially end up with a similar end result. But that's just my mantra.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Looks good Lokii! Does it have a face, or is it just covered up...? xD

Bren, you have given me ideas for my next picture. :D

Edit: @Geoberos, I don't think the extra features in the intuos are really necessary for most people, especially at a small size. Think about what you would prefer when drawing, would you be more comfortable with drawing on a small tablet or a large one? Keep in mind that if the tablet is smaller than your screen, the strokes you make with the tablet won't correspond to the length of the line on the screen- for example, a stroke 1" long on the tablet may turn out to be 2" on the screen. There is less scaling with a large tablet.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
So it's the canvas being large that causes the smudge tool to lag. I just thought it was supposed to do that XD.

I'm double happy though, I found a cool custom brush for Illustrator that lets me draw quick (read under 2 minutes XD) sketches like this and have them look nice and vibrant due to being a vector, and I found a bunch of old pictures I drew when I was a kid of Zool, everyone's favourite platform game hero.

http://imageshack.us/a/img831/1717/raymanvector.png
*warning, this may be absolutely HUGE when you open it, sorry X3.*

And yes, his face, hair, and eyes are all the same colour because I'm dumb and didn't connect the lines.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Just covered up :3 It was four in the morning and I called it quits so i could send it off to my classmates for our project xD

Geist

Smash Master
Budget of around $200. Intuos5 Small ($230) or Bamboo Create ($200)?

For a hobbyist, features over size?
For hobbyists i'd recommend the larger tablet.
The intuos5 is amazing but you don't need the hotkeys and additional if you're not using the more advanced functions and if you're not pressed for maximum efficiency. Small tablets are good for portability as well but that's also not really someting a hobbyist needs either.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Okay thanks. I'll probably find some Intuos4 Small/Medium on Amazon instead.
I draw kind of small anyways and with my laptop holding all my drawing programs, I'll probably go portable.

Although hobbyist, would want to go beyond drawing casual. Start emulating stuff around here especially with the two different styles of images that were recently posted here, expand the experience, until settling down to my specific style.

Geist

Smash Master

Bren, you have given me ideas for my next picture. :D
excellent :3
Okay thanks. I'll probably find some Intuos4 Small/Medium on Amazon instead.
I draw kind of small anyways and with my laptop holding all my drawing programs, I'll probably go portable.

Although hobbyist, would want to go beyond drawing casual. Start emulating stuff around here especially with the two different styles of images that were recently posted here, expand the experience, until settling down to my specific style.
in my experience, small tablets are good for a first time trial because of how much cheaper they are.
That being said, if you're planning on going more than casual, you'll want a proper workspace. I only have a laptop but I have a dedicated setup for all my art stuff. I'm definitely not portable.

ME AND GEO HAVE SAME BIRFDAY WHEEE

caps
wooo happy bday dudes :D

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
OH snaps, didn't realize Honda had the same birthday as me :O

Happy Birthday, dude!!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
today, the earth is in a similar relative position to the sun, and has been that way a number of times, since the day you were born

how cool is that

Top Bottom