• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: Vote for your preferred Smash Bros DLC choices!

Who would you like to see as DLC for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U?

• Ice Climbers

Votes: 362 37.6%
  • Lucas

Votes: 379 39.4%
  • Wolf

Votes: 475 49.3%
  • Snake

Votes: 327 34.0%
  • Roy

Votes: 208 21.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 168 17.4%
  • Ivysaur

• Pichu

Votes: 112 11.6%
  • King K.Rool (Donkey Kong)

Votes: 411 42.7%
  • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

Votes: 293 30.4%
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)

Votes: 350 36.3%
  • Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)

Votes: 184 19.1%
  • Inkling (Splatoon)

Votes: 240 24.9%
  • Impa (The Legend of Zelda)

Votes: 230 23.9%
  • Tetra (The Legend of Zelda)

Votes: 112 11.6%
  • Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)

Votes: 182 18.9%
  • Paper Mario (Paper Mario/Super Mario Bros)

Votes: 165 17.1%
  • Krystal (Star Fox)

Votes: 208 21.6%
  • Black Shadow (F-Zero)

Votes: 117 12.1%
  • Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Votes: 104 10.8%
  • Hades (Kid Icarus)

Votes: 108 11.2%
  • Bandanna Dee (Kirby)

Votes: 246 25.5%
  • Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)

Votes: 179 18.6%
  • Ray Mk (Custom Robo)

Votes: 113 11.7%
  • Andy (Advance Wars)

Votes: 115 11.9%
  • Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo!)

Votes: 128 13.3%
  • Kamek (Yoshi)

Votes: 93 9.7%
  • Lip (Panel De Pon)

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

Votes: 109 11.3%
  • Reyn (Xenoblade Chronicles)

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Rayman (Rayman)

Votes: 200 20.8%
  • Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

• Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Votes: 124 12.9%
  • Bomberman (Bomberman)

Votes: 153 15.9%
  • 4th Mii Fighter Archetype

Votes: 154 16.0%
  • Other...(character not on this list)

Votes: 331 34.4%

• Total voters

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All these people pushing for Young Link ignored my ideas for ALBW/ALTTP/the original LOZ Link where he could have sword beam attacks, lots of sword thrusts, and loads of wands for his offense! :ohwell:

But alas, this is what happens when people think from an emotional standpoint instead of a purely gameplay-centric standpoint.
Can you tell me when the next poll you open will be so then I can make a decent argument for Vaati? :awesome:
I think you'd have to prove there's enough of a support movement for Vatti on top of that.

You'd probably have to prove Vatti would top 10% support, which is obviously a pretty steep task.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Regarding Melee vets, my boy Roy's leading, but still pales in comparison to all the other cut veterans like Wolf and Lucas. I'm surprised Wolf has already reached over 300 votes for him, and King K's still holding out in second place!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We have Reyn on the poll for pete's sake.
At least make it fair, especially for the ones who have been playable in Smash before.
Is it too much to ask?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
We have Reyn on the poll for pete's sake.
At least make it fair, especially for the ones who have been playable in Smash before.
Is it too much to ask?
I have yet to be given a compelling reason to add Young Link. None. I keep getting told to add him, yet have not been presented with a good enough reason to add him. Majoras Mask 3D? Not good enough. As I said, Toon Link is fine. I think Toon Link is a spiritual successor to Young Link.

I would be open to cutting Pichu. But I have no reason...no COMPELLING reason, to add Young Link. I'm not just going to add him.

For the record, Reyn won't be there next time. Fiora will be.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Majora's Mask 3D is literally the one of the only major reasons backing him up right now.
Captain Toad is there, but he doesn't even fit the "compelling" requirements you seek, aside from his upcoming game.
I'll stop talking about this though, this is going to go on for ages, and your opinion won't change at all anyway.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wario's Woods, SMB 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Why have Fiora instead of Reyn? Neither are going to be DLC, and neither really make sense on the poll. If Xenoblade somehow gets another character... I have to imagine it would be deliberately from Xenoblade Chronicles X for promotional reasons. Which itself probably won't happen.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why have Fiora instead of Reyn? Neither are going to be DLC, and neither really make sense on the poll. If Xenoblade somehow gets another character... I have to imagine it would be deliberately from Xenoblade Chronicles X for promotional reasons. Which itself probably won't happen.
I'd say why but it'd be greatly spoiling the game. Let's just say that out of Xenoblade, the next two best characters to put in are Fiora and Reyn.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I'd say why but it'd be greatly spoiling the game. Let's just say that out of Xenoblade, the next two best characters to put in are Fiora and Reyn.
I mean from a story standpoint I can understand why, but including a Xenoblade character in the first place seems silly, because it's definitely not going to happen. It's Xenoblade, getting Shulk was enough of a gamble.

Maybe a XCX character, but not another from the original.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It would be hilarious if we got the Xenoblade Chronicles X avatar character, and they were named "The Xenoblader". :rotfl:

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If we're going by titles a character starred in, then why is Bowser, Bowser Jr., Rosaluma, Sheik, Zelda, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Meta Knight, all the Pokémon but Charizard, etc. in Smash=???

It's a fallacy that a character needs to be in a lot of titles. They just need to be memorable, interesting from a playable character design, and make people want to play the game/get excited.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Only one of those titles did Captain Toad (NOT TOAD) had a notable role.
I suppose that depends on your definition of "notable role."

I mean, yeah, Captain Toad is a side character in just about every game he's appeared in. But so have plenty of other characters on the roster. Captain Toad actually has the unique benefit of having a spin-off game entirely based around him (seriously, that's much more than someone like Rosalina ever got).

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
It's a fallacy that a character needs to be in a lot of titles. They just need to be memorable, interesting from a playable character design, and make people want to play the game/get excited.
True. But... the more titles they have a notable role in, the more memorable and well-known they usually become, therefore a greater amount of people would want to play the game due to their inclusion.

Number of titles isn't directly a factor, no, but often it does help influence the actual factors, or give them an edge, sure.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
True. But... the more titles they have a notable role in, the more memorable and well-known they usually become, therefore a greater amount of people would want to play the game due to their inclusion.

Number of titles isn't directly a factor, no, but often it does help influence the actual factors, sure.
True, but honestly, Marth could star every Fire Emblem game ever made, and he still wouldn't be as well known as the 7th Mario character to be revealed as a playable character in Smash Bros (Bowser Jr).

Mario, Pokémon, and kinda sorta Animal Crossing are institutions at this point. They're gigantic, and dang near every other franchise pales in comparison.

Regardless, that didn't mean we'd get any more Mario characters in Brawl; we actually lost them. However, that doesn't mean the inverse can't be true. In the end, it (should) always be about the gameplay and how great the character idea is and is executed.

After going to "the relevance" test (and by that I mean they're a main character of their series and people like them; it's why we have Link and not the 5th mage in A Link to the Past playable in Smash), that's ultimately all that matters.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Voted for Brawl vets and threw one in for Bayonetta just for kicks (own series and my sister likes her so...).

Most of the characters on the list I could not care less about being in Smash, and a few I actively don't want in.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
True, but honestly, Marth could star every Fire Emblem game ever made, and he still wouldn't be as well known as the 7th Mario character to be revealed as a playable character in Smash Bros (Bowser Jr).
Though Marth still starred in more games than any of the other lords when he was included... and still stars in the most games in his series counting the remakes. As far as FE goes, he is leading in number of titles.

Comparing him to characters in other series is sort of like comparing apples and oranges because we all known they don't get representation proportionate to their actual size. As far as representation in the series goes, number of titles can definitely have an indirect effect.

Also, I don't think the "relevance test" stops after the MC, otherwise it'd just be a huuuuge coincidence that we get the most prominent supporting characters in each series before more minor yet still cool characters in pretty much every single case.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Comparing him to characters in other series is sort of like comparing apples and oranges because we all known they don't get representation proportionate to their actual size. As far as representation in the series goes, number of titles can definitely have an indirect effect.
That's the thing I'm preaching against.

We don't play as "representatives", we play as characters.
Also, I don't think the "relevance test" stops after the MC, otherwise it'd just be a huuuuge coincidence that we get the most prominent supporting characters in each series before more minor yet still cool characters in pretty much every single case.
Main characters, not character, unless its' a series first character in which it is its' main character (see: Villager from Animal Crossing, Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles, Marth from Fire Emblem).

The main Mario series has about 10 main characters (all the Mario characters who are playable in Smash 4 minus Doc [6 total plus the Koopalings] plus Toad, Captain Toad, and maybe Nabbit), while Donkey Kong has all the characters that have been playable in DKC games plus K. Rool.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing I'm preaching against.

We don't play as "representatives", we play as characters.
That's not the thing you were preaching against... you were preaching against the idea that a character needs to star in a certain amount of titles.

And obv we play as characters, but sometimes the slot for a character is designated before the actual character is chosen. Call that what you will. Also, it's inarguable that the characters represent the series they come from. If one asks what the Kirby representation on the roster was, the answer would be "Kirby, Dedede, and MK". The character represents their series like an athlete represents their country. They're individual characters but they still represent their series.

So yeah, we do play as characters that represent their series just on the basis of them hailing from their series while in a crossover, that doesn't mean they were chosen purely to represent their series or a certain game though (though I believe that has been the case on occasion) nor does it mean they're not characters. I mean really, they're both characters and representatives.

Also Nabbit ain't no main character. Not yet at least.

I thinks it's silly not to add Ridley since everyone clearly wants him as dlc.
I think it's pointless to add characters with existing notable roles in the game.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad is there, but he doesn't even fit the "compelling" requirements you seek, aside from his upcoming game.
*GLARING INTENSIFIES*

Although that said to my knowledge no character has become playable based on a remake in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

But I guess DLC hasn't been a thing before either, so maybe we'll get a totally different set of rules.

(What WERE the compelling requirements again?)

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Man, all these people want a Wizard/Magician Mii. It's like, "Why did Sakurai even add Zelda and Robin for, then?" =P

Anyway, my votes went with Andy, Pichu, Paper Mario, Chibi-Robo, New Mii Class (NOT a magic Mii, i'd want a Guardian Mii, who uses a shield in battle and is all about special guards, counters, and parries), and my Other vote goes to Neku (i have enough sense to realize there are Square Enix series that would probably get in before World Ends With You, but Neku WOULD a good character to represent newer the DS specifically more than Pokemon <which span multiple handhelds> and Fire Emblem or Nintendo Wars <which both actually started on the Famicom.>)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I suppose that depends on your definition of "notable role."

I mean, yeah, Captain Toad is a side character in just about every game he's appeared in. But so have plenty of other characters on the roster. Captain Toad actually has the unique benefit of having a spin-off game entirely based around him (seriously, that's much more than someone like Rosalina ever got).
This is kind of ironic considering Young Link's role was much more notable role and starred on arguably two of the biggest 3D Zelda games than Captain Toad himself.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is kind of ironic considering Young Link's role was much more notable role and starred on arguably two of the biggest 3D Zelda games than Captain Toad himself.
Clearly you've forgotten the best Zelda game of all time on the GBA; Legend of Zelda: The Mushroom Cap;

Although in all fairness I guess that wasn't a 3D title.

I dunno, it's upto Scolosis though. I could live without three versions of the same character though honestly.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Why are people still doubting captain toad's importance? He has his own game, has appeared in 3 main series mario game AND to top that he's a toad, one of the most recognizable and loved characters in gaming

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wizard Mii sounds pretty cool, but gunner Mii can easily pass as Wizard mii.

Also Captain Toad seems interesting, but as his whole thing is NOT being able to jump while solving puzzles........

Top Bottom