• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

baalzabub

Smash Rookie
You have to hand it to them for thinking of new ideas, stamina should work but do you think that zelda might now have stamina as well, try to assume zelda and shiek are now balanced.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Well for those people who want PT to be kicked off the side of the SSBB earth foget about it. It's not going to happen and plus, nobody's FORCING you to play as him.

Except mabye completeness for Story Mode.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
IMO, i think its gonna be like this

Squirtle = Falco(kinda fast w/ fast projectile)

Ivysaur = Mario(more balanced than other 2, mid projectile)

Charizard = Bowser (this is just obvious)

FS = Team Atk

i think this will be very, VERY interesting

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
My guess: when your Pokemon is killed, you lose a stock and that Pokemon is respawned. You can only switch them out on solid ground (or, if not, you don't get another second jump for switching during recovery). Regardless of which Pokemon you use or how many times you switch, when you run out of stock it's over.

The only thing I really wonder if how switching will be performed. Some B move, or something else?
Scroll the dojo page down further.

red stone

Smash Ace
i'm just saying, the chances of pt being broken in some way are very high. someone will find some random glitch that lets all 3 pokemon out at once or find a way to use pokeball invincibility frames to a breaking point

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
I'm feeling some team matches with PT and Ice Climbers. There's gonna be some mass confusion watching a bunch of trainers in the background while eskimoes fly around on screen.

Oh hell yah.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
i'm just saying, the chances of pt being broken in some way are very high. someone will find some random glitch that lets all 3 pokemon out at once or find a way to use pokeball invincibility frames to a breaking point
P.S, the character was just announced a few hours ago - we barely know anything about the actual mechanics of PT! Give it some time and just enjoy this (especially cool) update. :p

Anyways, on to speculation! I bet everyone's gonna stay in squirtle form :p Nerf squirtle.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Eh...I don't care enough to go back and find it. What was the point again?

Also, you don't think the man's smart enough to learn from past mistakes?
Don't worry you answered the point.

On to your question. . . . . no one has ever balanced a fighting game perfectly before. The problem is these "tourney *****" or "competative" players figure out the best way how to play with the character based on strats and methods (such as glitches or unintended physics exploits or uses of a move intended) that mostly take the game where the developer never expects. The best way to balance the game is to have really good players test the game. Even though Sakurai says he has these people who played the game alot, we have no idea how well they can test the game. This update in particular shows that he is adding new elements (like foot stool) here which really makes it hard to predict how to balance the game since it hasn't been thoroughly tested like 7 years of tournies in Melee. Sakurai is a smart dude and I do believe he will make a fun game, but the update I still don't like for the points already stated. ;)

Razorthe6249th

Smash Rookie
\
What, are you dense? Unless it's intentionally programmed, that's an impossibility.

Fastinyoh

Smash Apprentice
Above is incorrect, please fix.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
1. We're *******s. That's why we enjoy those things.

2. It's episode 6, not 4.

To Dylan, because I forgot to hit quote.
Meh, massive fail on my part. I havent watched star wars in ages. :(

Well, even if you are *******s, its not me you're hurting, its the forum. Personally I dont care anymore, itd be pretty sad if I still did.

Heck of course I was mad to find out I was being dissed all over some site by lots of people, but the shock has worn off..

please stop raiding smashboards? Pm raid me all you want, spam one of my threads, but I ask you again PLEASE stop ruining the discussions of people who deserve to discuss this update, people who love smash no matter what :)

the optomism in this thread is inspiring, Smashboards. Perhaps the trainer will be a valuable character afterall?

Thank you, and good night.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Lol about the PT ditto. It gives new meaning to the word "Ditto". THE POKEMON DITTO FOR BRAWL!!!

lol

Kipper500

Smash Rookie
Meh, massive fail on my part. I havent watched star wars in ages.

Well, even if you are *******s, its not me you're hurting, its the forum. Personally I dont care anymore, itd be pretty sad if I still did.

Heck of course I was mad to find out I was being dissed all over some site by lots of people, but the shock has worn off..

please stop raiding smashboards? Pm raid me all you want, spam one of my threads, but I ask you again PLEASE stop ruining the discussions of people who deserve to discuss this update, people who love smash no matter what

the optomism in this thread is inspiring, Smashboards. Perhaps the trainer will be a valuable character afterall?

I don't believe you're going to bed.

Enjoy watching this thread.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The model of the trainer is almost the same as in PBR. Could it be possible for SSBB to connect with a PBR save which allows you to use a custom made trainer as an alt. costume?

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
someone will find some random glitch that lets all 3 pokemon out at once or find a way to use pokeball invincibility frames to a breaking point
If there's no glitch that let's you play Sheik and Zelda at the same time, there will be none for the Pokemon.

The switch move could be lagged. It can also be made so that no jumps or moves can be made after switching in the air. We don't know anything other than what we see on the site.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
77 76 75 74 73 72 71 70 69 68 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57 56 55
54 53 52 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 44 43 42 41 40 39 38 37 36 35 34 33 32 31
30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6

5 4 3 2 1
Updates until Brawl

that squirlte isnt wavedashing its coming out of a pokeball... in one of those 77 updates theres going to be some awsome FS in there with PTs name on it

Also Shiek and zelda are the same person correct me if im wrong... so i dont think theyil have stamina

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice

please stop raiding smashboards? Pm raid me all you want, spam one of my threads, but I ask you again PLEASE stop ruining the discussions of people who deserve to discuss this update, people who love smash no matter what :)

Mmm....

No.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

You know what is massive fail? Repeating the same post twice. EPIC FAIL XD
Just joshing

Also, I am not that optimistic. . . . . . .(much more than you though XD) haha

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry you answered the point.

On to your question. . . . . no one has ever balanced a fighting game perfectly before. The problem is these "tourney *****" or "competative" players figure out the best way how to play with the character based on strats and methods (such as glitches or unintended physics exploits or uses of a move intended) that mostly take the game where the developer never expects. The best way to balance the game is to have really good players test the game. Even though Sakurai says he has these people who played the game alot, we have no idea how well they can test the game. This update in particular shows that he is adding new elements (like foot stool) here which really makes it hard to predict how to balance the game since it hasn't been thoroughly tested like 7 years of tournies in Melee. Sakurai is a smart dude and I do believe he will make a fun game, but the update I still don't like for the points already stated. ;)
Since when does a fighting game need to be perfectly balanced anyways? The only way to perfectly balance it would be to have a homogenous mix of characters with homogenous movesets and traits. Part of the fun of melee is that you can choose to be underpowered if you so desire and still have a good time. True, at super-high levels of competitive play (and even at lower levels) tiers are an important part of your decisions.. But this is both expected and understood.

To question Sakurai's design ethic seems like a silly and ill-informed move to me. This is the same man that brought us the incredible physics of mlee (a so-called "party game") in such abundance that we play it to this day as a competitive fighter. The man is clearly no stranger to fighting game mechanics (as we can deduce from the hardcore combat mechanics of melee).

In short, I think Brawl is going to be a much more polished step up from melee than melee was from Smash 64. Sakurai has had 7 years to really understand the issues with his previous game, and the Wii hardware is near identical to the GC's. Ease of development combined with his already established combat system means he can focus on fine-tuning what was wrong in melee instead of making an entirely new game from the ground up.

Fulgor

Smash Rookie

In before 3 more replies of your drama

Kipper500

Smash Rookie
You know what is massive fail? Repeating the same post twice. EPIC FAIL XD
Just joshing

Also, I am not that optimistic. . . . . . .(much more than you though XD) haha
I guess that's why they call this board random XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom