• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Ummmmmmmmmm ok then.

I don't like this update because I think pokemon trainer is too generic to get into this game (I also don't like pokemon that much now but I use to like it). Also, he doesn't seem like he would be a balanced tourney character (either sucks or is too good depending on mechanics of the stamina, return system, pokemon, etc.).

I will defintely like to mess around with him in friendlies. :laugh:

Edit: wtf people at randomly bashing Dylan because he doesn't like an update?
i agree with you about the generic thing, but I'm sure a lot of people wanted to play as those pokemon and I guess this is better than them putting in a **** load of pokemon characters by themselves.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
Ummmmmmmmmm ok then.

I don't like this update because I think pokemon trainer is too generic to get into this game (I also don't like pokemon that much now but I use to like it). Also, he doesn't seem like he would be a balanced tourney character (either sucks or is too good depending on mechanics of the stamina, return system, pokemon, etc.).

I will defintely like to mess around with him in friendlies. :laugh:

Edit: wtf people at randomly bashing Dylan because he doesn't like an update?
Again, in order.

1. Well who would you have suggested they put in his place? It's not like there are any huge personal identities in the Pokemon world...besides Blue and Green...and Wes...

...****, I see your point...

2. You're commenting on whether or not a character will be tourneyworthy from TWO PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION.

STOP DOING THAT.

IT'S DUMB.

3. Not accepting that this update is EPIC WIN is good enough reason to be bashed. But besides that, Dylan just has enough of a track record to justify it anyway, har har.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Until we know an indep characteristics about all the character such as move sets etc there is no reason to really expect a character to suck. remeber jigglypuff

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Why are there so many people with so little posts trying to egg on Dylan? What the hell did he do in this thread? Sure, you goaded him to be banned before, but come on, now you're all just being lil' *******s. You think he's gonna fall for the "URZ A CHIKINZ" trap?

As for the update, the only thing I had in mind the whole time was "What?"

I couldn't process it. I was like AW SWEET A NEW KARIKTIR, but then I got confused.

How will they get KO'ed?

How will they respawn?

How will Ivysaur fit in?

How will the TRAINER respawn?

HOW WILL THEY WAVEDASH DAMMIT!!!

How will the new stats show up on screen?

How will you change Pokemon?

Why are there only three Pokemon, flavor-wise? It makes sense in terms of fairness, but would the PT ACTUALLY only have three?

What DOES happen on moving stages?

Can the trainer fight if all the Pokemans die?

WTF!!!!11!!1!!1one!!!!SHIFT!1one

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah mr TNGA Because only "Casual Gamers" like Pokemon. Your views on Gamers are obviously slightly slurred. Just because someone isn't good at Smash in an Expert sense doesn't mean they're a casual gamer. And just because someone likes Pokemon, which is indeed one of the most deep competitive RPG's out there, doesn't mean that they're a "casual gamer".
I was meerly trying to avoid the degrading word ''scrub'' which has gotten me reprimanded in the past.

from now on the forbidden word will be said like this ''people who think things are cheap''

Ok, so.. ''people who think things are cheap'' will jump all over my post, if I post a bunch of reasons why I hate this update. Which will result in flamewars, which will ruin the thread. Which is already being raided by 4chan. I am actually trying to control the situation here

''Casual players'' would most likely just read my views and respond, same goes for ''advanced players''

I also never implied that liking pokemon, or liking this update at all, made you a casual player.

As for my degree of skill? Check my youtube videos and judge for yourself. Id say Im a casual smasher who goes to a tourney whenever he can, but lacks the experience to be considered pro.

The thing is, because of this prejudice against me based on posts I made in february of 2007, I can no longer post my opinions on brawl without people finding ways to antagonize me about them for all eternity.

As you can see, many people are waiting for me to make a post, and anytime I do post in an update thread, whatever I say is copy pasted and for some reason.. enjoyed.. on 4chan.

So trust me, you don't want to hear what I have to say. Im going to post it elsewhere.

To quote starwars episode 4 : ''Its a trap!''

Salaad

Smash Ace
I wonder what would've happened if there was a Melee update site for coutries other than Japan. You people would go nuts seeing Ice Climbers and would say "They are rigged!" What about Zelda/Shiek? "SHE CAN SWITCH! THATS GAY!" Noone is forcing you to play as PT, and Sakurai himself said this game would be way more balanced.I love this update.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
...why didnt they just name the ******* ash...this is so great tho another extremely uniquely played character...really wish it was ash tho the one and only pokemon master lol any kid who can stay between the ages of 10 and 14 for 9-10 years is amazing enuff
i was thinking about that too. the only problem with that is that they might be inclined to stick with pokemon that ash actually had (i believe some one early said he had bulbasaur, squirtle, and charizard), but techinically they'd be taking ash from the video game, not the tv show, so they could theoretically still have ash as the trainer and give him w/e pokemon they want (although ash didnt have to be your trainer's name in the original if i recall, but that could be said for link in the more recent zelda games too). idk, i would have liked ash too, but i feel like some people would care too much about the technicalities of it not following the tv show.

FierceDeityWolf

Smash Ace
In a place where the grass is green and the girls
Why are there so many people with so little posts trying to egg on Dylan? What the hell did he do in this thread? Sure, you goaded him to be banned before, but come on, now you're all just being lil' *******s. You think he's gonna fall for the "URZ A CHIKINZ" trap?

I couldn't process it. I was like AW SWEET A NEW KARIKTIR, but then I got confused.

How will they get KO'ed?

How will they respawn?

How will Ivysaur fit in?

Why are there only three Pokemon, flavor-wise? It makes sense in terms of fairness, but would the PT ACTUALLY only have three?

_Slick_

Smash Ace
OMG! First post on these forums!

So yeah, I really like Pokemon but I never saw THIS coming.
But I wish they called him Red. and perhaps for Alternate Costumes there could be other Pokemon Trainers (Brendan, May, etc.).
But yeah this has got to be the best character update for me...

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
2. You're commenting on whether or not a character will be tourneyworthy from TWO PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION.

STOP DOING THAT.

IT'S DUMB.

True, he could be great, but think a moment about the execution. The more complex an idea is (or a character is >_>) the harder it is to execute properly. Ask these questions: 1. What if the stamina system isn't enough to deter people to use the strongest pokemon? 2. What if you had to switch often and the lag was horrendous? 3. What if you had to switch often and one of the pokemon really sucked? There is probably other issues, but those are the main ones. If he executes it correctly, no complaints except that he is too generic. I just think it will be almost impossible to execute it correctly.

Edit: I also said he might be too broken (which is tourney worthy), too.

myRoboticClaw

Smash Apprentice
My theory is that to switch out the pokemon it has to be on solid ground, sort of how Peach pulls out a turnip, that way you can't use it as a save.

UobteX

Smash Cadet
Because Ash (or Satoshi in Japan) is the name given in the anime. The default name in the game is "Red". SSBB is based on video games, not anime.
If I remember the old times playing Pokemon, Ash was the Indigo Champion in one of the games (I think Yellow, not sure). So technically he would be part of a video game.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
You wouldn't be derailing the discussion by having posts with -content- about your dislikes/concerns/whatev. You are right now, though, when you're bothering to post just to inform us that you're holding your tongue and not going to post.

Put up or shut up. I mean that in a friendly way :D
And what are you doing? I've purposely avoided threads in the Brawl forum because I heard how ridiculous some of the posters were and didn't want to get drawn into that. And I won't. I'm out.

Pokemon Trainer will suck. The End.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Ash using a different Poke' for each special, like Pidgeotto for ^B.
Red using items from the game like the bike & fishing rod.
Surge or Bruno as physically abled fighters.
Team Rocket as an IC-like fighter with a bunch of gadgets & weapons.
Gym Leaders as Assist Trophies.
I've even seen a pretty good Misty moveset & the guy from the GBC TCG suggested.

Sakurai managed to not only go with something that NOBODY ever thought of in all the years of human character debates, but also keeps truer to the Poke'mon basics than the other suggestions. For not the first time I'm glad he's making the game & I'm not.

Charizard fans rejoice, you can finally play as him!

Blaziken fans weep, because like hell another starter can get in now (especally with all 3 evolution stages covered).

Shiek fans, that vB seems mighty familar, don't it?

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
I was meerly trying to avoid the degrading word ''scrub'' which has gotten me reprimanded in the past.

from now on the forbidden word will be said like this ''people who think things are cheap''

Ok, so.. ''people who think things are cheap'' will jump all over my post, if I post a bunch of reasons why I hate this update. Which will result in flamewars, which will ruin the thread. Which is already being raided by 4chan. I am actually trying to control the situation here

''Casual players'' would most likely just read my views and respond, same goes for ''advanced players''

I also never implied that liking pokemon, or liking this update at all, made you a casual player.

As for my degree of skill? Check my youtube videos and judge for yourself. Id say Im a casual smasher who goes to a tourney whenever he can, but lacks the experience to be considered pro.

The thing is, because of this prejudice against me based on posts I made in february of 2007, I can no longer post my opinions on brawl without people finding ways to antagonize me about them for all eternity.

As you can see, many people are waiting for me to make a post, and anytime I do post in an update thread, whatever I say is copy pasted and for some reason.. enjoyed.. on 4chan.

So trust me, you don't want to hear what I have to say. Im going to post it elsewhere.

To quote starwars episode 4 : ''Its a trap!''
HA. HA AND HA AGAIN.

You're so full of ****, you could fertilize a whole farm.

If you really didn't want this thread to be derailed, then you would have logged off when you said you were gonna, about 45 minutes ago. /v/ people wouldn't have got the response they wanted and would've left immediately.

If you in all seriousness wanted this to stop and wanted to put the posts you made in February behind you, you'd get a new account or something.

Face it, you love getting the attention just as much as we love giving it.

By the way, it was episode SIX that had "It's a trap!"

Y'*******.

Kipper500

Smash Rookie

How will they get KO'ed?

How will they respawn?

How will Ivysaur fit in?

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
My guess: when your Pokemon is killed, you lose a stock and that Pokemon is respawned. You can only switch them out on solid ground (or, if not, you don't get another second jump for switching during recovery). Regardless of which Pokemon you use or how many times you switch, when you run out of stock it's over.

The only thing I really wonder if how switching will be performed. Some B move, or something else?

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
OMG! First post on these forums!

So yeah, I really like Pokemon but I never saw THIS coming.
But I wish they called him Red. and perhaps for Alternate Costumes there could be other Pokemon Trainers (Brendan, May, etc.).
But yeah this has got to be the best character update for me...
Well his name is POKEMON TRAINER so maybe his alt colors will be different trainers. look at the picture of gold. yellow shorts and a yellow cap. dawn could be blue

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I love this update for the sheer fact that people was saying no the whole time. and because it brings something new. and they use the 3 from the best era of Pokemon representing each evolution level.it's great really.. If it was for the 10 yr olds of today they would have some newer crap pokemon for the pokemon trainer to use. the nay sayers are probablly in a hospital bed right about now.

Fulgor

Smash Rookie
I think is a lame update, I rather want Ronald with his Legendary Ronald DECK!!!! (Yeah, he's a freakin mother****er)

His final smash will be his BADASS THEME MUSIC! (999% Damage for everyone, you also becomes deaf just for hearing it)

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
This topic is in the wrong place, and theirs already one in the Dojo Updates...But more people will see this one so eh, might as well post here.
I hope my moniter is messing up, because the trainer is Red I presume...Not Pink. Still this character is a nice addition, but it makes me worried, what other insane choices has Sakurai made?!

RoCkStAr69

Smash Rookie
First it was Wario Chopper, and now this has pretty much convinced me that just about anything is possible in this freakin' game.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
True, he could be great, but think a moment about the execution. The more complex an idea is (or a character is >_>) the harder it is to execute properly. Ask these questions: 1. What if the stamina system isn't enough to deter people to use the strongest pokemon? 2. What if you had to switch often and the lag was horrendous? 3. What if you had to switch often and one of the pokemon really sucked? There is probably other issues, but those are the main ones. If he executes it correctly, no complaints except that he is too generic. I just think it will be almost impossible to execute it correctly.

Edit: I also said he might be too broken (which is tourney worthy), too.
I don't ask myself those questions, because I trust Sakurai to have already considered those things and adjusted for them appropriately.

See, I trust Sakurai's design decisions. This is why while you're all naysaying and analyzing every update, I'm content to go "****, that's awesome!" or "Eh, that's not my thing." This is probably while I'll enjoy Brawl a hell of a lot more than any of you "Advanced" people.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
HA. HA AND HA AGAIN.

You're so full of ****, you could fertilize a whole farm.

If you really didn't want this thread to be derailed, then you would have logged off when you said you were gonna, about 45 minutes ago. /v/ people wouldn't have got the response they wanted and would've left immediately.

If you in all seriousness wanted this to stop and wanted to put the posts you made in February behind you, you'd get a new account or something.

Face it, you love getting the attention just as much as we love giving it.

By the way, it was episode SIX that had "It's a trap!"

Y'*******.
You still haven't responded to my reason for number 2 on your list. And please say you aren't part of this internet drama.

Edit: Never mind about the first thing. I enjoy Melee enough even though I "anaylize" it. lol

2nd Edit: I sometimes do not trust Sakurai's designs. . . . . . . . . . .just look at the balance of Melee.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
/a/ trip*** here.

I hate /v/, but I also hate a majority of Dylan's posts. I approve of what you're doing. *thumbs up*

Zaver

Smash Rookie
1. We're *******s. That's why we enjoy those things.

2. It's episode 6, not 4.

To Dylan, because I forgot to hit quote.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Kay. There's three characters in one. The switching thing needs to be a bit more indepth in explanation, but all in all what's the problem?

I'm not crazy about the update because I generally don't like starters. :p

Kipper500

Smash Rookie
I think is a lame update, I rather want Ronald with his Legendary Ronald DECK!!!! (Yeah, he's a freakin mother****er)

His final smash will be his BADASS THEME MUSIC! (999% Damage for everyone, you also becomes deaf just for hearing it)
Holy **** Legendary Ronald.

he should have been the ****ing champion of the grand 4.

turboether

Smash Cadet

How will they get KO'ed?

How will they respawn?

How will Ivysaur fit in?

people take this sort of thing too literally. this isnt hypothetical forum roleplay, its a game.

How will they get KO'ed?: by being knocked off the top, bottom, left or right of a stage.

How will they respawn?: on a platform, like everyone else.

How will Ivysaur fit in?: if pokemanz can fit in a pokeball, i dont see how they cant fit anywhere else.

How will the TRAINER respawn?: you arent fighting with the trainer, youre fighting with the pokemanz. the trainer is just fluff in the background waving his arms around and throwing around pokeballs like a loony.

HOW WILL THEY WAVEDASH DAMMIT!!!: how does pikachu, jigglypuff, pichu and mewtwo wavedash?

How will the new stats show up on screen?: er what?

How will you change Pokemon?: by pressing down+B.

Why are there only three Pokemon, flavor-wise? It makes sense in terms of fairness, but would the PT ACTUALLY only have three?: *headdesk*

What DOES happen on moving stages?: im pretty sure theyve designed the stages so theres enough room for the pokemanz trainer to fit on the platforms and scripted him to run along with the stage.

Can the trainer fight if all the Pokemans die?: *headdesk* the pokemanz will respawn like anyone else. they wont be 'unavailable' if you KO them, theyll just respawn. they all share the same damage meter and stocks, so its practically another zelda/shiek character, albeit with 3 characters instead of 2.

WTF!!!!11!!1!!1one!!!!SHIFT!1one: yes mr sherman, everything stinks.

Ryuujiin

Smash Apprentice
My guess: when your Pokemon is killed, you lose a stock and that Pokemon is respawned. You can only switch them out on solid ground (or, if not, you don't get another second jump for switching during recovery). Regardless of which Pokemon you use or how many times you switch, when you run out of stock it's over.

The only thing I really wonder if how switching will be performed. Some B move, or something else?
"Down Special Move: Pokémon change"

says so in the second update

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Um...whats with the arguing? People have their opinions no matter what you say.

IMO, PT will rock because of Charizard.
The Pokemon share the same stamina percentage and keeping the Pokemon in for a long time and a short time is bad.
That'll be tricky and it'll take a real Smash player to figure out how to use PT.

Also, Space Embissary with PT FTW!!

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
You still haven't responded to my reason for number 2 on your list. And please say you aren't part of this internet drama.

Edit: Never mind about the first thing. I enjoy Melee enough even though I "anaylize" it. lol

2nd Edit: I sometimes do not trust Sakurai's designs. . . . . . . . . . .just look at the balance of Melee.
Eh...I don't care enough to go back and find it. What was the point again?

Also, you don't think the man's smart enough to learn from past mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom