• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
WHAT'S THE MATTER OL' BUDDY, NOT ADVANCED ENOUGH FOR YA?!

*Shrieks with joy.*
Haha good to see you folks trying to get me to do my usual thing where I explain what I dont like about the update, and you in turn flame me, and I get infractions.

I wont bite this time, I dont like the update, and I'm loggin off now.

Peace :)

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Fixed. Honestly, I join this forum two minutes ago and am already appalled by the lack of basic Pokemon knowledge.
I almost hate myself for getting that wrong. thanks for the correction. although, to be fair, it's been quite some time since ive picked up the old red or blue (i dont play any of the new games, i lost interest when they expanded it past the original 151).

wing zrow

Smash Lord
Haha good to see you folks trying to get me to do my usual thing where I explain what I dont like about the update, and you in turn flame me, and I get infractions.

Not like we even wanted an in depth answer. A simple, " Pokemon's not for me " would have worked.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
ok i only think it sould be squirtle bulbasaur and charzard... cuz those were ashes characters even though this is pokemon trainer...
for the final smash i had 2 ideas if u are squirtle or ivysaurd they evolve... and charzard gets a new move.... Orrrits a new pokemon.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice

Well that's probably a well thought out response, but all I hear is...

buck buck buck BCKAWK! buck buck BCKAWK!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
If any of the Pokemon characters suck, then the Pokemon Trainer as a character will suck. Opponents will just camp or play defensively until the Trainer has to switch to a weak Pokemon. The transformation is probably not instantaneous. I expect it to take at least as much time as the Zelda-Sheik transformation, which offers ample time for the opponent to come in and **** the Trainer.

The Trainer will not be a tournament viable character, but could be fun to mess around with.

Light_

Smash Apprentice
Wow Pokemon trainer... Since he's in the background all the time, I wonder how he will be able to follow everyone around... I mean... on stages like DK's moving level, will he get left behind or something? lol. Or what about standing on a bridge of Eldin when it collapses.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Not like we even wanted an in depth answer. A simple, " Pokemon's not for me " would have worked.
You and me both know the.. ''casual gamers'' (I dare not say the forbidden word which is a verb indicating that someone is wiping something backwards and forwards furiously, which will in turn get me banned)

would jump all over that like a dog surgically attached to a shark who both just smelled a bloody steak simultaneously underwater and on land.

Pity I have to call them ''casual gamers'' rather than what they really are, though. Since most casual gamers are not ''the verb that implies wiping something backwards and forwards furiously''s

Jekyll

Smash Ace
What happens to the trainer when he loses all his stocks?
If a pokemon gets KO'd, what happens to it? Do they spawn back into a Pokeball for the trainer to use? Is their 'stamina' reset?
I think that once each pokemon had it's stamina dropped to zero(or fell off the stage) it would be fainted(unable to battle) for the rest of that stock. The stock will probably end when all 3 pokemon have been taken out.
(I think this one is most likely)

OR

The stock ends if the trainer leaves the pokemon in for too long and lets its stamina drop to 0. The only way I see this happening is if the amount of HP(stamina) each pokemon has is determined by the number of stock that are set...But then what would happen for time matches???...Scratch this idea. :p

What is this stamina thing anyway? Does it deal with how hard the Pokemon hits, or how sturdy and fast it is?
Go play in stamina mode in Melee. Once you hit 0, you're down for the count.

Won't there be a lot of glitches to exploit with this? For example, flinching a pokemon before he switches, or switching before being sent through the air with a smash attack?
I think that each pokemon was given its own unique stamina so that things like switching to avoid dying wouldn't be "broken". If you combo squirtle off the stage and spike him only to have him switched out before death, he still has the same low stamina when he comes back in. Maybe having a down+b that works as a combo breaker/life saver is just the benefit of playing this character.

Will anybody ACTUALLY be using him? He looks pretty weak to me... Sounds like an experienced Fox/Falco user would easily be able to take the team down in a matter of seconds
I can see him being used a lot late in brawl's life(like the ice climbers), but that's only my prediction. And I'm really not sure about that last statement...

iMichael

Smash Lord
Wow Pokemon trainer... Since he's in the background all the time, I wonder how he will be able to follow everyone around... I mean... on stages like DK's moving level, will he get left behind or something? lol. Or what about standing on a bridge of Eldin when it collapses.
Hey thats true! what the heck is this guy going to do on the moving stages....lol

7ucker

Smash Rookie
As usual, I am horrified and sickened by an update.

But you all expect that of me anyway.

Im not gonna complain here, I dont wanna derail the discussion, so Ill just say that I hate this update with all my heart and soul, and leave.
*charges dbz attack*

Kipper500

Smash Rookie
You and me both know the.. ''casual gamers'' (I dare not say the forbidden word which is a verb indicating that someone is wiping something backwards and forwards furiously, which will in turn get me banned)

would jump all over that like a dog surgically attached to a shark who both just smelled a bloody steak simultaneously underwater and on land.

Pity I have to call them ''casual gamers'' rather than what they really are, though. Since most casual gamers are not ''the verb that implies wiping something backwards and forwards furiously''s
Hey, have you heard of that TV Show "Scrubs"?

I hear it's pretty funny.

There might be some clips on Youtube.

kzee

Smash Rookie
he faints and loses half his monies.
lol, good one.

The Pokemon Trainer will most likely move with his pokemon, otherwise I don't see how he's going to survive side scrolling stages. Imagine the pokemon without their trainer! They'll all run wild.

I wonder if they can turn on their master for misusing them, rofl.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
maybe he stands on a floating plattform in certain levels? im trying to think what he might look like in a level like final destination though. it's too small to put him very far in the background and he might end up being a visual distraction from the action since he's so close.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice

Y'know, you could just use some term that's equally insulting to them but wouldn't get you banned.

Like "Dylans."

That'd piss 'em off.

Plomid

Smash Ace
Ivysaur looks intresting
4legged character is a first!
cant wait too see his moveset
plz have solar beam plz have solar beam!!!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No, because Dylan is not a scrub. Learn to think.
Exactly. Im a tourney***, remember?

Are these raids even lulzy to you 4channers anymore? Youd think the whole Dylan_Tnga meme would be dead by now.

Anyhow, please stop ruining perfectly good discussions. I dont like the update, but I think it would be selfish to derail the discussions of people who do like the update with my complaints (there are many)

I really hope you can't make your pokemon return while hes being edgeguarded though. That would be more than broken.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
im still suprised of em not showing any of there moves in teh screens... maybe in next update... squirtle is gunna have skull bash and water jun... charzard flamthrower or fire spin and Seismic Toss as a grab... ivysaur.. razor leaf and possibly vine wio

UobteX

Smash Cadet
Go play in stamina mode in Melee. Once you hit 0, you're down for the count.
They said the Pokemon have a damage meter, but also a 'stat' called stamina. I'm guessing this implies they act like normal characters except that they lose strength in their attacks or something. I have no clue actually.

Fulgor

Smash Rookie

Are these raids even lulzy to you 4channers anymore? Youd think the whole Dylan_Tnga meme would be dead by now.

Anyhow, please stop ruining perfectly good discussions. I dont like the update, but I think it would be selfish to derail the discussions of people who do like the update with my complaints (there are many)

I really hope you can't make your pokemon return while hes being edgeguarded though. That would be more than broken.
What's the matter? To RED for you?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion

Dylan.. I respect you, your a lot like me when I talk in real life haha.

Your one of the guys I enjoy reading posts from..

On topic... I'm suprised this topic got so numerous in posts.. I was real suprised with this I said "omg" and "wtf" (In the read words of course) like 20 times each in real life when I was reading through it..

Unexpected.. I hope this ups the chances of the higher anticipated characters as its so off course.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Dylan_Tnga said:
blah blah derail not an actual quote
You wouldn't be derailing the discussion by having posts with -content- about your dislikes/concerns/whatev. You are right now, though, when you're bothering to post just to inform us that you're holding your tongue and not going to post.

Put up or shut up. I mean that in a friendly way :D

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
give sakurai a little more credit than that. i dont expect any character to be completely balanced, but I can't imagine him putting in something as cheap as that.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
No, because Dylan is not a scrub. Learn to think.

How about Midkips?

That'd piss 'em off.
See, that doesn't work. Mudkip has friends.

In order.

1. Yes. Yes they are.
2. No, it's not dead yet.
3. Make me.
4. Translation: If I say anything more than this, /v/ will go crazier on my than they already have, and I dunno how much more butthurt I can take. :(
5. That'd be pretty ********. Odds are you have to be on the ground to switch.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
this is pretty much just shiek with one more transformation. also you pretty much are going to want to save charizards stamina to when your damage is high and use him for recovery.

HarryPooter

Smash Cadet

I imagine changing will be similar to sheik and zelda's transformation.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
What's the matter? To RED for you?
Ummmmmmmmmm ok then.

I don't like this update because I think pokemon trainer is too generic to get into this game (I also don't like pokemon that much now but I use to like it). Also, he doesn't seem like he would be a balanced tourney character (either sucks or is too good depending on mechanics of the stamina, return system, pokemon, etc.).

I will defintely like to mess around with him in friendlies. :laugh:

Edit: wtf people at randomly bashing Dylan because he doesn't like an update?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Even though I'm excited about this update still, I can't wait for tomorrows. Most likely it'll be a follow up to today's. Perhaps showing of some of the pokemons moves?

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Yeah mr TNGA Because only "Casual Gamers" like Pokemon. Your views on Gamers are obviously slightly slurred. Just because someone isn't good at Smash in an Expert sense doesn't mean they're a casual gamer. And just because someone likes Pokemon, which is indeed one of the most deep competitive RPG's out there, doesn't mean that they're a "casual gamer".

Beacuse you're such a mature expert awesome rapeage player right?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Dylan, I really don't want to get you into trouble, but I'd love to hear what you have to say about this. I'm personally a bit iffy on it, and given the more-positive-than-not response this update has gotten, I'd really like to see a good opposing view to it. I'm trying to make up my mind here.

Valentinez_Speshul

Smash Cadet
...why didnt they just name the ******* ash...this is so great tho another extremely uniquely played character...really wish it was ash tho the one and only pokemon master lol any kid who can stay between the ages of 10 and 14 for 9-10 years is amazing enuff

turboether

Smash Cadet
Maybe the Trainer runs out of the way in The Bridge of Eldin or...oh wait, Rumble Falls. IONO!!!!

I just find it hilarious most people on IGN love this update as if it were their parents or God Himself *excluding atheists* but over here, we're "WTF!?????"
some people here are just afraid of change. in all seriousness, they'd only be satisfied with brawl if it were a carbon copy of melee with updated graphics. there is no pleasing people who think theyre more important because theyre better at a game than the majority ;)

personally, the only trouble i have with this character is how the transitions will work. if switching is too slow a transition, then a decent player will be able to exploit the second or so of inactivity and capitalize. considering you have to change repeatedly (or so it seems), this could make this character a lower tier by default, because its major theme and skillset leaves it repeatedly wide open.

but i guess we'll see in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom