• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon - The 5th Generation

A_man13

Smash Master
Anyone remember that girl in D/P that said no one has ever actually seen a Pokemon lay an egg? Ever since then I've always imagined them making some sort of "Stork-like" Legendary Pokemon. Seeing as though no one has ever actually seen one lay an egg, maybe it's delivered by a Pokemon.
Three words: Delibirds delivery Depot

5th gen can hold a ton of things in store. Let me try and organize my thoughts:

The Pokes: I'd say that their really isn't anything with the current pokes I'd change. With the new pokes, I really like the balance between the real and the sureal. Most of the sprites I see are either not done in pokemon style or really abstract. 1/2 the apeal to the pokes I like are, sure some of them don't really fit the trend, but they feel realistic to the rest of the world. They aren't overly serious, overly kiddy, overly unatural, overly natural. Striking this balance really brings the apeal for a poke to me.

I like the idea of being able to control what you catch. Maybe bring in more one off pokes or make the safari zone more like pokemon snap (It would also make it feel more safari like). However, they still need to keep the random encounters at least in some places.

I'd kinda want to see some of the 1 stage pokes gain an evolution stage. The likes of spiritomb, tropious, and heracross would really be kinda fun if the gained a stage. I'd also say no 4 evolution lines.

The story: It might be Earthbound Fanboy talking, but I really would like to see the game do without the gyms at least up untill a point. They are fun, but most of the charm of everything else is nullified by a rush to the gym. Either I play the games too fast or the gyms are kind of big. Maybe having the gyms come after the E4 and have much more run ins with the evil organization (and maybe even having the first 1/2 of the game devoted to the organization).

The plot of the game needs to be deeper. My big problem with Diamond and Pearl (and with every game, but especially that) is that you have no idea what they are doing up until they spill it out for you. Even though I knew that galactic strived to awaken the dragons, it was still very unclear whether they were doing that or "Attracting Pokemon in great numbers." Give them a bit more universial plot and expand their role so that they aren't usless trainers activating a powerfull but almost just as useless legendary.

Post game in DP was weak (though they did fix that a bit in platinum). IMO, there should be some greater challange other than the usuall "Catch them test, train them cause." This could be by maybe an extended gym roster (to maybe 16 or one for each type), expand the plot past "You are the champion, now go home", make a much more extensive battle fronteer, etc.

Another thing I'd like implamented is the ability to battle yourself. Kinda fun to set your pokes against your own.

Legends: Ah, legendaries, the striving of kids to get and keep. They really don't need to expand on legends too much, just make 3-7 legends that are both powerful and tough to get (think mewtwo) and make some weaker ones one off pokes. I also like the idea of a story behind each poke. I always thought a fun idea would be that, instead of just runing up to say mewtwo, you'd have to overcome many challanges to find its location as well as fighting challanges allong the way.

A_man13

Smash Master
I think psychic is as close as it will get. Esperon is considered the light pokemon and it's psychic...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
We've been over this, I think. If you introduce a Light-type, you can't use religious moves. This is a problem. It's also troublesome that many moves from the past qualify as Light-type.
I don't think it would be too hard to make a move, they already made up some light attacks like Solarbeam, Morning Sun, Doom Desire and even Luster Purge, (gawd know's why is that a Physic type move). If a Light type is there it might change into that attribute, or they could think of more attacks like Nova, Shine, or maybe Flare. But you could be right, it wouldn't be easy to think of a move that's not too big in religion. =/

I think psychic is as close as it will get. Esperon is considered the light pokemon and it's psychic...
Hmm, maybe Espeon should be both, well they did the same thing with Magnemite. :D

Wrath`

Smash Master
We've been over this, I think. If you introduce a Light-type, you can't use religious moves. This is a problem. It's also troublesome that many moves from the past qualify as Light-type.
HOLY WATER ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attacks of light that are not religous: Luminessence, White out, Lightspeed(faster than extreamspeeed), Laser(light energy), Shimmer, Light beam(hyper beams light version, nintendo would be unoriginal like that.)

Also probably other physics/mechanical stuff,

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
I was thinking that they should bring back R/S/E-style Contests...but the Contests in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were so complicated that you could easily beat the whole she-bam with just Curse/Spite, or, at least, the Tough Contests.

Also, Amity Square should allow "petite" battles: NFE competitions, of sorts.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
no, because the creator thing has been in existance for a while...Impossible Creatures, now SPORE and many others

Darkslash

Smash Master
Playing Phoenix Wright game me a idea for future Major Battles like Gym Leaders, Elite 4, Champion, major trainer(rival and tag team partners) and frontier brains.

If the next hanheld has 2 screens(I doubt it won't. the DS prints money with the Game boy printer)
The Top screen has the Major opponent on the top screen. The lower screen has the main character. If only they gave out the Platinum vs sprites make my idea a whole lot clearer.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Lucario evolves into..... OWNCARIO! Sorry....

Is this all speculation or do you have a source?

Light-type would be amazing. Make it strong against dark type, weak to ghost type, and weak to rock. Also strong against Flying types maybe. Resistant to fire.

Spire

III
BRoomer

Light-type would be amazing. Make it strong against dark type, weak to ghost type, and weak to rock. Also strong against Flying types maybe. Resistant to fire.
If you're asking me about my topics in the OP, none of it is speculation, and none of it is sourced, but rather all original ideas created by myself and our fellow Poke Center frequenters.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman

So Light + Steel = no weakness? Or wait maybe Ground and Fighting still.

Mewter

Smash Master
I think there should be a gravity type.
That way, it would be totally epic. It has x2 against flying, fighting, normal, dark, and psychic.
It would be weak against...
light, fire, electric, water, and steel.
It would be affected 2x by....
light, steel, electromagnetic.

Or Electromagnetic type.
Includes Electricity and light types as one type.

What do you think?

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think we are getting a little off base with types......electromagnetic?..?, I perfer the chocolate type, only week to fire and normal, resiliant to ice..... But I wonder, with this new DSi, could the fith gen come sooner than we think?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think the only type that has a chance to get in is Light type. All the other types suggested so far have been... just stupid.

Nice idea on making Dark and Light both weak and strong against each other, MK.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I don't think light beign good against dark and dark beign good against is not a good idea, They are suposed to be the eternal clash and be equal, so i say just normal damage..

And there are more componets to light then just the heroic aspect of it, take for example waves and rays, wich is light energy. This would make it super efective against poison for the aspect of radiation thereapy to remove harmfull substances.

In my opioin(also back in page 38-42)

light Attacks are super efective against: Poision/ghost/Steel(plasma cutters) and weak against grass(photosynthiese)/Ice(refection/refrection)/water(reflection/refrection)

Light pokemon would be strong against: Poision/ghosts and weak to grass.

M.K

Level 55
I think the only type that has a chance to get in is Light type. All the other types suggested so far have been... just stupid.

Nice idea on making Dark and Light both weak and strong against each other, MK.
Thanks! Dark doesn't always fall to Light, and Light doesn't always fall to Dark.

I was thinking something like "Light is weak to Dark Physical attacks and strong against Dark Special attacks. Dark is strong against Light physical attacks and weak against Light Special Attacks".

Just think about it....it sort of makes sense....

MetaKnight63

Smash Apprentice
Light Type:

Strong against Ghost
Strong against Water
Weak AND Strong against Dark.
How is it strong against water? Oh, never mind.

Hmmmm, this is a carbon copy of the post I made in post 609.

Ice makes more sense because water refracts and reflects light. Light will melt the ice.

I don't think light beign good against dark and dark beign good against is not a good idea, They are suposed to be the eternal clash and be equal, so i say just normal damage..

And there are more componets to light then just the heroic aspect of it, take for example waves and rays, wich is light energy. This would make it super efective against poison for the aspect of radiation thereapy to remove harmfull substances.

In my opioin(also back in page 38-42)

light Attacks are super efective against: Poision/ghost/Steel(plasma cutters) and weak against grass(photosynthiese)/Ice(refection/refrection)/water(reflection/refrection)

Light pokemon would be strong against: Poision/ghosts and weak to grass.
No, it's more awesome to have that double weakness between Light and Dark than not have it at all.

Again, look at post 609 (pg 21). Please read. Please!!

karthik_king

Smash Ace
A possible intro for each game

Dark Game

You are battling you rival he ends up defeating you no matter what happens. Then it goes into a cutscene where it shows you in tattered clothing and you rival laughing at you. He then takes 5 of your six pokemon and then says that eevee is pathetic you can keep it. Then walks away laughing. While you are on the ground Giovanni comes out of nowhere and says he wants to recruit you. He then says you have the potential and to use you anger for evil so you can exact your revenge.

Good Guy

You beat your rival and walk right past him and what happened in the dark story to you will happen to him except in this battle it was a 1v1 and noone loses any pokemon.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
A possible intro for each game

Dark Game

You are battling you rival he ends up defeating you no matter what happens. Then it goes into a cutscene where it shows you in tattered clothing and you rival laughing at you. He then takes 5 of your six pokemon and then says that eevee is pathetic you can keep it. Then walks away laughing. While you are on the ground Giovanni comes out of nowhere and says he wants to recruit you. He then says you have the potential and to use you anger for evil so you can exact your revenge.

Good Guy

You beat your rival and walk right past him and what happened in the dark story to you will happen to him except in this battle it was a 1v1 and noone loses any pokemon.
I'm pretty sure spire's 5th gen thread is more about features and what they could do then an actual story based thread (not so sure after this thread died for a month).

-:bowser:Bowser King

Wrath`

Smash Master
Hmm, they have every chineese zodiac element exept wood. Now wood is a bit out there, but so is is steel in a way. wich stell is on the chineese zodiac as an element.

Wood would be a viable type, and some pokemon like sudowoudo and bonsly and mabey a few bug pokemon can pull it off.

Wood type:

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Yeah I guess you are right but couldn't they make would super effective because wood would wipe out all available grassland and all there would be is forests

Mewter

Smash Master
Yeah I guess you are right but couldn't they make would super effective because wood would wipe out all available grassland and all there would be is forests
Nah. We're fine with grass, as it is. To add this wood mean two of the same type, eh?
Ok.
I still like the idea of gravity and light types, though. I think gravity should be super effective against light, though. It makes sense.:laugh:
On the subject of Wood type: Meh. Grass is already flammable, weak to birds, and strong against the force of the earth.

On the subject of Light:

””””””””””:036:.:””””””
STELLAR-type covers Light, Gravity, and Astro. Bring the cosmos home!​
If this passes, then I want electromagnetic type or nuclear type, pronto.:laugh:
Wait, I just got a a great idea. Maybe types themselves could be grouped into different groups

Fighting, Normal, Flying, steel, rock, ground, wood, dragon= Physical.
Water, poison, ice= chemical.
Light, electric= Electromagnetic.
Psychic, ghost, gravity, dark, ???= Dimensional.
Fire=Nuclear

Maybe, if they added a new pokemon fighting system, then we could use this sort of grouping to our advantage. Maybe dual-type pokemon could specialize in one or the other, and it could result in some interesting battle/field effects.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Wow if only pokemon was willing to change but alas that won't happen and we will be left with our fantasies

But I would prefer it like this

Physical: Fighting Normal Steel
Grassland/forest:Bug Grass Wood
Earth:Rock Ground
Nuclear:Fire Electric
Stellar:Gravity, Light Psychic Astro Dark ??? Ghost
Chemical:poison Water Ice
Air: Flying Dragon

Temperature

Hot
Nuclear
Earth

Warm
GrassLand/Forest
Air
Physical

Cold
Chemical(Poison requires cold chain to be kept intact[otherwise it will lose its potency], ocean can be very cold, ice is self-explanetory)
Stellar

Spire

III
BRoomer
Man, this Light type phenomenon has been going on for too long. Let's come to a consensus - Light is generally accepted as it would be a surefire counter to Dark and would balance out the "Standard" and "Special" types.

Now I pose a new topic of discussion:

A new region and its features. I see the four regions based off of the four seasons; Kanto based off of Spring; Johto off of Fall, Hoenn off of Summer, and Sinnoh off of Winter. We're out of seasons, so what do you think could be issued next as a theme for a new region?

My personal preference would be an industrious world with one, large expansive city, an oil rig, a fishing wharf/rustic town, and of course, many other locations.

So again, I ask a two part question:

1) What theme do you think the next region will be based around
and..
2) What would you like to see?

Mewter

Smash Master
Man, this Light type phenomenon has been going on for too long. Let's come to a consensus - Light is generally accepted as it would be a surefire counter to Dark and would balance out the "Standard" and "Special" types.

A new region and its features. I see the four regions based off of the four seasons; Kanto based off of Spring; Johto off of Fall, Hoenn off of Summer, and Sinnoh off of Winter. We're out of seasons, so what do you think could be issued next as a theme for a new region?

My personal preference would be an industrious world with one, large expansive city, an oil rig, a fishing wharf/rustic town, and of course, many other locations.

and..
Easy.
I would like to see a region with super-advanced technology with cities underwater. There. Both questions answered.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
I would like to see cities with more than for houses and one where it does not take 30 seconds to walk across. A nice legendary background. Knowing nintendo it will be based around the legendary on the box but I know what you mean I think the next regions theme being and industry based one too. Finally real world application kind of thing.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I want more puzzles and mystery, it seems you do a simple puzzle and solve a simple mystery and you feel unsatisfied, I want them to make it somewhat more in depth.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Playing Phoenix Wright game me a idea for future Major Battles like Gym Leaders, Elite 4, Champion, major trainer(rival and tag team partners) and frontier brains.

If the next hanheld has 2 screens(I doubt it won't. the DS prints money with the Game boy printer)
The Top screen has the Major opponent on the top screen. The lower screen has the main character. If only they gave out the Platinum vs sprites make my idea a whole lot clearer.
Nintendo beat me. Turns out they do this in the Elite 4 and Champion. Well i guess this is actually going to be in 5th Gen.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535

and..

I suggest a sprawling city instead of separate cities.

An organization has the city in its grip and all their subordinates use Pokemon. The people cannot do anything about it. Only a few people are able to stop this organization's dictatorship. Pokemon battling is changed now that you can wager Pokemon (usually your most powerful), and only in a public setting such as a dojo can Pokemon not be wagered. Advanced Trainers from those dojos will take the place of Gym Leaders with 8 separate challenging sets of Pokemon. The only way you can progressively qualify is to complete certain missions that are carried out by your rebel organization. The elite 4 is replaced by the heads of the dictating organization. There are 5 total. Weather does play a factor, and all the items are availiable.

This necessarily does not have to be 5th Gen, but it can be a different direction Pokemon can take, directing it towards an older crowd. Street life is mainly personified in this version. This may be the edgyness that Pokemon desparately needs.

Feel free to comment.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've updated the OP (for the first time in a long time) so that we can further analyze and structure our ideas. Thank you.

Top Bottom