• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Yeah i always prefered OoT/Melee Link because i have the most fondest memories playing Ocarina of Time, Smash 64 and Melee, heck, he is the one Link who is in the best Zelda game and in the best game ever.
I don't remember adult Link in Majora's mask?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
@Fortress
I don't see PM going wild with different variants like that. It'd be a lot more professional and organized to have one alt model and then recolors (which is why I don't see Magic Armor Link happening even if it does look super badass).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Consistency, primarily. You have Wario (Biker) and Wario (Classic). Mario (Classic) and Mario (Doc). Link (TP) and Link (OoT). Way easier to follow.

Vashimus

Smash Master
The Hero of Time Link (OoT/MM) became Twilight Link's mentor of sorts teaching him the hidden skills and whatnot, and he's a major influence in Wind Waker. So even canonically he can be regarded as the best Link since the games acknowledge that specific Link more than any other one.

I remember seeing a really well-done Majora's Mask Link though on Brawl Vault. Just needed the Gilded sword over the Razor one.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Consistency, primarily. You have Wario (Biker) and Wario (Classic). Mario (Classic) and Mario (Doc). Link (TP) and Link (OoT). Way easier to follow.
Eh...Nah.

Not everything has to be the same. Besides, if we wanna get technical, Mario and Wario both have alternate outfits that are still them.

TP Link and OoT Link, while sharing the same name and have similarities, are two different people.

TP Link should have an outfit that suits him from his own game.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I mean consistency model-wise. Even if they don't go with OoT Link, I don't see them doing things where every recolor has a different model (it'd be really difficult to get a different one for every model; take TP Link where there's really no good options for yellow or white in this regard). It's simply much better design-wise to have two easy to remember forms of one character that are fit with recolors and recolors only.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
there's a lot of mental gymnastics for recommending bad-looking costumes, here

I'd say just have a SS-ish link, with chainmail attire and end it at that. idek what OoT would be like, apart from some incredibly minor hair/color changes

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Hero of Time Link (OoT/MM) became Twilight Link's mentor of sorts teaching him the hidden skills and whatnot, and he's a major influence in Wind Waker. So even canonically he can be regarded as the best Link since the games acknowledge that specific Link more than any other one.

I remember seeing a really well-done Majora's Mask Link though on Brawl Vault. Just needed the Gilded sword over the Razor one.

I waaaaaaaaaaaant thissssssssss

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I mean consistency model-wise. Even if they don't go with OoT Link, I don't see them doing things where every recolor has a different model (it'd be really difficult to get a different one for every model; take TP Link where there's really no good options for yellow or white in this regard). It's simply much better design-wise to have two easy to remember forms of one character that are fit without recolors and recolors only.
Again, I disagree.

Dr. Mario had different colors for his other slots in the video. The other outfits probably will as well.

As such, one alternate costume with different colors fits just fine.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
In your opinion does that put Lucas as the Masked man out of view?
If Lucas is wearing the masked man costume, it can work. I'm not confirming anything though, I'm just partaking in hypotheticals. I am a bit aware about Mother 3's story, and I see why you are suggesting it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That's not what I'm talking about at all. I mean that none of the recolors under the default and alt costume use different models from the main color. Mario uses the same model for all of his recolors and Doc uses the same model for all of his. I am explicitly against the idea of using different models under the same set of recolors (ie. having the TP Link set of recolors use Zora Armor and Magic Armor).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
That's not what I'm talking about at all. I mean that none of the recolors under the default and alt costume use different models from the main color. Mario uses the same model for all of his recolors and Doc uses the same model for all of his. I am explicitly against the idea of using different models under the same set of recolors (ie. having the TP Link set of recolors use Zora Armor and Magic Armor).
Then I'm not seeing how we're at a disagreement. Seems like we agree. o_o

My thoughts are that TP Link should have one alternate costume from his game with a set of alternate colors. So basically, we'd get either Magic Armor Link OR Zora Armor Link. Just not both. Only one.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Okay, I think I was just having an impossible time expressing what I meant then. I should have just said:
Mario:
-Default (Red)
-Blue
-Green
-Wario and Brown

Doc:
-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Etc

Repeat for any characters receiving alt costumes.

And was against doing something like:

Link
-Default (Green)
-Magic Armor
-Zora Armor
-Dark Link
-White and Yellow

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I'd say just have a SS-ish link, with chainmail attire and end it at that. idek what OoT would be like, apart from some incredibly minor hair/color changes
Skyward Sword's design is more or less identical to Twilight Princess, minus the belt buckle and puffy pants. The art style is the only huge difference.

Ocarina Link, on the other hand, is way different. His blonde 90s hairstyle, the bright tunic, the big-ass boots, etc.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I will put it in a simple way: We want OoT/Melee Link, because of the good old times, and yes, he has his differences between him and TP Link.

MLGF

Smash Lord
About the SFX, Dr. Mario's pill effect was restored, yep.
Can I ask, as it has been bugging me for a while, how are you implementing sound effects?
Are you replacing some very underused sound effects in the game or, like the clone engine, managed to implement them without replacing them.

Because if it's the former, then wouldn't implementing extra music be plausible?

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I'd say this design is pretty cute:

Look at that kid.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Can I ask, as it has been bugging me for a while, how are you implementing sound effects?
Are you replacing some very underused sound effects in the game or, like the clone engine, managed to implement them without replacing them.

Because if it's the former, then wouldn't implementing extra music be plausible?
I know each character has a wide range of unused sound effects. For the rest, I will not answer you, not because I don't want to, but because I would most likely induce you in error.

Fortress

Smash Master
@Fortress
I don't see PM going wild with different variants like that. It'd be a lot more professional and organized to have one alt model and then recolors (which is why I don't see Magic Armor Link happening even if it does look super badass).
I agree and disagree with that. I can totally understand the point of not wanting to change somebody's model so drastically that instead of being an alt costume, it becomes another character (ex: Mother Brain over Bowser), but I figured that the model changes were pretty insignificant for Magic/Zora Armor TP Link, and that the coloring was prominent enough to not really matter.

Though, I can also see the point in wanting ONE model with several recolors, ala Doc and Wario. Which is why I agree with whomever was saying to just do SS Link with palette swaps. That makes the most sense to me so far.

Ganon's obviously going to get Ocarina/Melee texturing (I'd love to see Mulletdorf make an appearance), Samus is probably going to end up with Power/Dark/Light/Fusion/PED, and Ike will probably get Lord Ike or Vanguard Ike palette swaps. I'm guessing Peach is going to get Rosalina or Daisy, and Zelda could get... I don't know, Young Zelda..? TP-robed Zelda..? Sheik would probably get OoT/melee texturing if anything at all. Would Doc Weegee perhaps be a thing? I'm running that over one of his slots at the moment. Lucario of course would probably just be Mega Lucario, or even Y Mewtwo.

Lukas as the Masked Man sounds really good, personally, and I'm sure we all know what direction Jigglypuff/Pikachu are going in. Is it at all possible to see Wartortle/Bulbasaur swaps for Squirtle/Ivysaur? I've seen a couple in the Vault at one point or another.

One last question: are the characters going to, at any point in time, get their Project Minty/Maritime/Mars team recolors? They seem to be pretty consistent, and could probably just fit over some of the character's default team colors.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Okay, I think I was just having an impossible time expressing what I meant then. I should have just said:
Mario:
-Default (Red)
-Blue
-Green
-Wario and Brown

Doc:
-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Etc

Repeat for any characters receiving alt costumes.

And was against doing something like:

Link
-Default (Green)
-Magic Armor
-Zora Armor
-Dark Link
-White and Yellow
I thought as much. We agree, then. :3

Luigi's alt costume is Nabbit obviously. :p
I see what you did there you cheeky dickwaffle. XD

Skyward Sword's design is more or less identical to Twilight Princess, minus the belt buckle and puffy pants. The art style is the only huge difference.

Ocarina Link, on the other hand, is way different. His blonde 90s hairstyle, the bright tunic, the big-*** boots, etc.
The only noticable difference between OoT Link and TP Link for most people is how their bangs are, honestly.

No disrespect to Melee Link, but I'd rather play as an actual alternate outfit of TP Link's than play as just another Link with slightly different hair, a brighter shade of green and supposedly bigger boots.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I guess it's not as bad as I remembered. I used to just think he was kind of ugly based on his Melee trophy appearance.

And thank you very much, Fortress, for that gratuitous up-skirt shot of what appears to be classic Pit's whitey-tighties or possibly panties from the looks of them.

I've finally mastered the art of making a face I thought I'd never be able to make until after my mind wandered further than that.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The only noticable difference between OoT Link and TP Link for most people is how their bangs are, honestly.

No disrespect to Melee Link, but I'd rather play as an actual alternate outfit of TP Link's than play as just another Link with slightly different hair, a brighter shade of green and supposedly bigger boots.
Let see:
  • Different Hair.
  • Different Guantlets.
  • Different Tunic.
  • Bigger and different boots.
  • Different palette/shade.
  • No Chainmail.
  • And someone that has realy compared the 2 links will notice that even his face has differences.
  • Different Bow design.
  • Different Hookshot design.
  • Different Bomb design.
  • Different Boomera...... no, this no.
  • Even the Master Sword and Shield have differences.
Thats enough for me to deserve a spot as a Alternate Costume.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I know each character has a wide range of unused sound effects. For the rest, I will not answer you, not because I don't want to, but because I would most likely induce you in error.
Well okay then, that makes a lot of sense. Anyways, thank you.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman

Actually OoT link was a bit more heavyset than TP link.

Attachments

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Again, I disagree.

Dr. Mario had different colors for his other slots in the video. The other outfits probably will as well.

As such, one alternate costume with different colors fits just fine.
Something that I don't think you're considering is the file size limit that the PMBR has to adhere to. Riivolution users could easily fit in 3 or more models + 6 recolours for each, but that would seriously strain the 2 GB limit for everyone else. So, its very unlikely that a single character will get more than one model set.

Edit: ...Smashboards is being weird for me. The comments that resolved this argument didn't appear for me before typing this. Sorry about that.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Something that I don't think you're considering is the file size limit that the PMBR has to adhere to. Riivolution users could easily fit in 3 or more models + 6 recolours for each, but that would seriously strain the 2 GB limit for everyone else. So, its very unlikely that a single character will get more than one model set.

Edit: ...Smashboards is being weird for me. The comments that resolved this argument didn't appear for me before typing this. Sorry about that.
I've already had the opportunity of testing such a thing out with an 2GB SD card for double the amount of costumes, moveset and animation files for all of the characters in the game for a little side project at one point.

There's MORE than enough room.

Honestly, the only thing that anyone should ever be worried about taking up space is replacing tons of music in the game, since there's nowhere near enough room for it unless all of the songs are very short.

Let see:
  • Different Hair.
  • Different Guantlets.
  • Different Tunic.
  • Bigger and different boots.
  • Different palette/shade.
  • No Chainmail.
  • And someone that has realy compared the 2 links will notice that even his face has differences.
  • Different Bow design.
  • Different Hookshot design.
  • Different Bomb design.
  • Different Boomera...... no, this no.
  • Even the Master Sword and Shield have differences.
Thats enough for me to deserve a spot as a Alternate Costume.
The keyword in my post was noticable.

As in makes a big difference at even a very short glance, whether your know Zelda inside and out or have never played much of it at all.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Doesn't anyone know how to collapse things here? >_>

And even there, with just a quick glance, it just looks like Link got a graphical upgrade and isn't as bright.

Only with you look again and closer do you notice all of the small details. But that's all.

It isn't something that's going to be very interesting or exciting to play as for an alternate costume, or nearly as impressive looking as the other armors. it's not even as impressive as Dr. Mario.

That's my point.

*waits for the next post to be one of the many Brawl OoT Link mods*

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
May I ask if it's possible to do Ness's pajamas without baseball cap like in the beginning of Earthbound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom