• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malion

Smash Ace
drycolours.png

Made a quick colour edit of Dry Bowser to show what colours it could have... I'm sure it would have more variation if it was actually implemented just making a point.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
And the fact that some characters will have one outfit with recolors, some will have multiple outfits and some will have just new recolors...That's honestly kind of disappointing. It feels very cheap and inconsistent like they don't know what they're doing or what to do. I'm pretty sure most people would prefer for everyone to have one alternate costume with different colors as opposed to such varied treatment.
I disagree entirely. Some characters are better suited to alternate colors instead of alternate costumes.

There are probably more people out there who want orange, purple, white and black yoshis than there are people who want a Boshi costume or whatever. An alternate costume shouldn't feel forced, having one that does would feel a lot more unprofessional than some characters having colors instead of costumes.

It bothers me that they might use multiple costumes for some characters while some get recolors of their current costumes. I'd rather every character just get one costume with recolors rather than some characters have multiple costumes.

I know it's a fan-mod... But it seems really fan-moddish to do this.
I don't really get where this idea that all characters need to have the exact same number of models and recolors comes from, or why it would seem more professional than some characters having more/less costumes/recolors than others. In Brawl only Wario had an alt costume. In Melee not everyone had the same amount of colors, Yoshi had six while G&W had four. In Smash 64 the only reason each character had just four colors was due to the limited number of c-buttons on the controller (Mario actually has five colors with one only being available through team battles, and Yoshi has two extra colors unavailable to the player that appear in the 1-player mode when you fight Yoshi team). The precedence set by past, professional, Smash games would indicate that having uneven costumes and colors among characters isn't something just a fan-mod would do.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=15779

You guys lack vision. Seriously. I'm sure you could think of something else to make if someone else could think of this.
The PMBR has said the costume can't change the character, so keep in mind you wouldn't be Ms. Game & Watch but Mr. Game & Watch in drag.

Malion

Smash Ace
The PMBR has said the costume can't change the character, so keep in mind you wouldn't be Ms. Game & Watch but Mr. Game & Watch in drag.

Game and Watch, like Link is a culmination of multiple similar characters from multiple games, some of which I think you may play a female in... so having him rendered as a woman probably wouldn't be that off... though saying MG+W has a "character" in any sense is a bit of an overstatement.

Runathir

Smash Rookie
An LTWFTW here. On the topic of inconsistency being unprofessional, I'd just like to point out something. In Brawl: Wario is the only character with an alternate costume with recolors. Link and Toon Link both have a "Dark" color which is quite unlike any of their others. Captain Falcon's red color has a different emblem on the back, with added words. Pikachu and Jigglypuff both have multiple "costumes" instead of more noticeable recolors. Some characters just have simple clothing recolors (i.e. Mario), some have different patterns or words to their colors, some are just tinted with different colored accessories, and still others have their face/skin/hair recolored.

The original game, created by a professional company, had inconsistencies in this regard to begin with. Simply put, the characters are too diverse to do the same things to them across the board and have it seem well done. Yes, the argument can be made to try to keep consistency within each character, and I'm certainly not trying to say the sky should be the limit. But even if PMBR went with that, it would mean, for example, that Pikachu with party hat recolors would be inconsistent. Myself, I don't see an issue with some characters getting alt costumes with recolors, and others having multiple alt costumes. As long as they are individually done professionally and fit, I think it fits with the style of the original game. Expanded upon, but not warped. My $.02.

Aside from that, I don't think I noticed anyone mention the possibility of Squirtle with perma-shades. He was wearing them in the latest video, but I realize that they can break with the taunt method. I can't think what else Squirtle could really have done to him, unless....

EDIT: I see Trinsic stole some of my first post thunder, haha. But our points vary slightly, so it's all good.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
That's super adorable. xP

Also, I don't know if they mentioned in their post, but would there be a possibility of implementing CBliss alongside Alts (for a grand total of 16 costumes max?)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Oh some Link costumes that I think we need:
Magic Armor
Zora Armor
Ordon Link
Oni Link
Link wielding the mirror shield and biggoron sword

Malion

Smash Ace
I realise it isn't exactly Nintendo...

but I was thinking to myself that maybe Doctor Mario can have a Recolour so that he can become THE Doctor Mario.

thedoctormario.png

It's a me...allonsy!

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
So I was making a neat diagram to document all the various occurrences of Samus outside her power armor (for the Z-Suit Samus alt); it had a timeline, fun-facts, pictures, everything.

I had the graph template in GIMP, some layout stuff in inDesign, and I was painstakingly removing backgrounds and whatnot from images in Photoshop... but then GIMP crashed for no reason. I looked in the tmp (temporary) folder... nothing was saved. I was pissed, but it turns out as I was searching in for any backed up files from GIMP, inDesign crashed. I was working on this for almost THREE ****ING HOURS, because I thought it would be cool to see what everyone's favorite outfit designs were... but I guess that isn't happening.

Needless to say, I'm not not happy. Sorry guys.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
So I was making a neat diagram to document all the various occurrences of Samus outside her power armor (for the Z-Suit Samus alt); it had a timeline, fun-facts, pictures, everything.

I had the graph template in GIMP, some layout stuff in inDesign, and I was painstakingly removing backgrounds and whatnot from images in Photoshop... but then GIMP crashed for no reason. I looked in the tmp (temporary) folder... nothing was saved. I was pissed, but it turns out as I was searching in for any backed up files from GIMP, inDesign crashed. I was working on this for almost THREE ****ING HOURS, because I thought it would be cool to see what everyone's favorite outfit designs were... but I guess that isn't happening.

Needless to say, I'm not not happy. Sorry guys.
:c
That sucks! Sorry you lost all that work. It woulda been cool to see.

MVP

Smash Ace
i'm not familiar enough with the zelda timeline, but is Demise ganon? cause that'd be a sick alt for him

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
i'm not familiar enough with the zelda timeline, but is Demise ganon? cause that'd be a sick alt for him
Basically, he's the first of them all and where all the other ones come from.

So yeah, he is. People argue otherwise, but it's same damn thing.

Ah, found another version of Justin bailey Samus with a bit more of modern ZSS mixed in there. XD

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Ganondorf is the incarnation of Demise's hatred towards the gods, so I guess you could say he sort of is, kinda like Link is the incarnation of previous Links. Except Link is a lot more similar to other Links than Demise is to Ganondorf.

Either way, I don't think he could be Ganondorf's alt. His build is too different.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Ganondorf is the incarnation of Demise's hatred towards the gods, so I guess you could say he sort of is, kinda like Link is the incarnation of previous Links. Except Link is a lot more similar to other Links than Demise is to Ganondorf.

Either way, I don't think he could be Ganondorf's alt. His build is too different.
Really? Link is Link and Link is similar to Link? Tell me more~ D:

Jokes aside, I do love the idea of Demise but I could easily see why he wouldn't be chosen.

Besides, we all know that Ganon's alt is gonna be OoT Ganon now that Link's is OoT Link. Why?

Because Melee. ¦D

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The Links are much more the same character, considering they tend to share either a bloodline or a destiny or perhaps even a spirit, being constantly reincarnated like the Avatar. Plus they all share the same name and they all look the same.

Demise is not Ganondorf. The best argument you could make is that he could house Demise's spirit, but to say they're the actual same character is...wrong. They don't share a bloodline, they don't share a name, they don't share looks...they merely fill the same role.

I honestly like Demise a lot, but I don't think he could be an alt for Ganon. If nothing else, he uses a sword pretty much exclusively in the fight, so him having Captain Ganon's moveset would be even stupider than Ganon having Captain Ganon's moveset.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Really? Link is Link and Link is similar to Link? Tell me more~ D:

Ex: TP Link is an incarnation (also a blood relative) of OoT Link, and he is also similar to OoT Link.

It would be stupid if I said OoT Link is an incarnation of OoT Link and is also similar to OoT Link.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Ex: TP Link is an incarnation (also a blood relative) of OoT Link, and he is also similar to OoT Link.

It would be stupid if I said OoT Link is an incarnation of OoT Link and is also similar to OoT Link.
I was being sarcastic. I know that. XD

The Links are much more the same character, considering they tend to share either a bloodline or a destiny or perhaps even a spirit, being constantly reincarnated like the Avatar. Plus they all share the same name and they all look the same.

Demise is not Ganondorf. The best argument you could make is that he could house Demise's spirit, but to say they're the actual same character is...wrong. They don't share a bloodline, they don't share a name, they don't share looks...they merely fill the same role.

I honestly like Demise a lot, but I don't think he could be an alt for Ganon. If nothing else, he uses a sword pretty much exclusively in the fight, so him having Captain Ganon's moveset would be even stupider than Ganon having Captain Ganon's moveset.
None of the Zelda's look much alike, so I don't really agree with that logic. If the other incarnations are Link are considered the same person and the other incarnations of Zelda are considered the same person, then dammit the same applies to Demise and Ganon! It's only logical common sense! XD

But in the end, that logic falls flat anyway because being another "incarnation" does make you the exact same person as the last one. Just another version. Twilight Princess Link did not live the same life as OoT Link. They're two different people with two different lives but with plenty of similarities and the same names due to reincarnations.

tl;dr It's only complicated when you think about it too much. Just consider all of them the same or all of them not the same. No "some are and some are' BS.

And honestly, it wouldn't be more dumb. Just equally, honestly. Actually, it would make a bit more sense considering two certain people that Demise looks like with that rock hard bod of his. ¦D

But again, it'll be OoT Ganon. Because Melee. So this discussion is pointless and finished.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
None of the Zelda's look much alike, so I don't really agree with that logic. If the other incarnations are Link are considered the same person and the other incarnations of Zelda are considered the same person, then dammit the same applies to Demise and Ganon! It's only logical common sense! XD

But in the end, that logic falls flat anyway because being another "incarnation" does make you the exact same person as the last one. Just another version. Twilight Princess Link did not live the same life as OoT Link. They're two different people with two different lives but with plenty of similarities and the same names due to reincarnations.

tl;dr It's only complicated when you think about it too much. Just consider all of them the same or all of them not the same. No "some are and some are' BS.

And honestly, it wouldn't be more dumb. Just equally, honestly. Actually, it would make a bit more sense considering two certain people that Demise looks like with that rock hard bod of his. ¦D

But again, it'll be OoT Ganon. Because Melee. So this discussion is pointless and finished.
'kay dude, whatever. I agree this discussion is pointless, but I completely disagree with most of your other points. Buuut not enough to fight over, so whatever.

Yeah, it'll probably be Melee Ganon, as it should be.

Knade

Smash Rookie
i dont know if this was posted yet but

(even if TP Link already has OOT link.)

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
i dont know if this was posted yet but

(even if TP Link already has OOT link.)
That would actually be pretty cool, but he just looks way too different from Link, so I'm not sure if they'd allow that.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I don't really get where this idea that all characters need to have the exact same number of models and recolors comes from, or why it would seem more professional than some characters having more/less costumes/recolors than others. In Brawl only Wario had an alt costume. In Melee not everyone had the same amount of colors, Yoshi had six while G&W had four. In Smash 64 the only reason each character had just four colors was due to the limited number of c-buttons on the controller (Mario actually has five colors with one only being available through team battles, and Yoshi has two extra colors unavailable to the player that appear in the 1-player mode when you fight Yoshi team). The precedence set by past, professional, Smash games would indicate that having uneven costumes and colors among characters isn't something just a fan-mod would do.

An alternate costume, in my opinion, should be one costume with as many recolors as the character's original costume has. T.Link has 6 colors, so Outset Toon Link should also have 6 colors (again imo).

Wario was an exception in Brawl because he's well known for wearing both of those costumes (which is still a stupid reason for him to have two costumes while the rest only have 1, Pokemon hats aside).

But some characters having multiple costumes that drastically change the look of a character isn't consistent. It works for Pokemon because it's a single item on top of a small creature's head and doesn't change much of the shape of a character. It seems unprofessional for a bunch of characters to have multiple costumes rather than just one really well done costume with recolors. It also kind of sucks because what if two people want to be Outset Link?

Truth be told though, I'm massive amounts less hyped for costumes after they released Melee version of characters. Tons of room for creativity and we're getting alternate costumes that more or less look the same as their Brawl costumes.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That would actually be pretty cool, but he just looks way too different from Link, so I'm not sure if they'd allow that.
His body is the same shape though, and the same proportions, and technically he's OoT Link, so there's no reason aside from the immense amount of work that this couldn't work.

...I can dream.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly just happy with the Oot Link as a alt, now when the next update comes out My Link palettes will be

Green = TP Link
Blue = Zora Armor
Red = Magic Armor
Gold = Gold Tunic (It was Oot link, so It'll just stay gold unless someone makes a really good hero's shade that I could use instead)
White = Ordon Clothing
Black = TP Dark Link (it was Oot Dark Link)

Alt Green = Oot Link
Alt Blue = Zora Tunic
Alt Red = Goron Tunic
Alt Gold = Yellow Cheat Tunic
Alt White = White Cheat Tunic (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Cheat_Tunic)
Alt Black = Oot Dark Link (would be Black Cheat Tunic to match with the other palettes, but I like Dark Link more)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm honestly just happy with the Oot Link as a alt, now when the next update comes out My Link palettes will be

Green = TP Link
Blue = Zora Armor
Red = Magic Armor
Gold = Gold Tunic (It was Oot link, so It'll just stay gold unless someone makes a really good hero's shade that I could use instead)
White = Ordon Clothing
Black = TP Dark Link (it was Oot Dark Link)

Alt Green = Oot Link
Alt Blue = Zora Tunic
Alt Red = Goron Tunic
Alt Gold = Yellow Cheat Tunic
Alt White = White Cheat Tunic (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Cheat_Tunic)
Alt Black = Oot Dark Link (would be Black Cheat Tunic to match with the other palettes, but I like Dark Link more)

I just really want someone to make a super awesome bada** fierce diety link model. Im hoping the PMBR does it. I know someone is working on one in the BrawlVault, so we'll see how that goes too. But oni link would be way better than a plain white tunic.

Malion

Smash Ace
On the topic of Demise being Ganon and etc it's a bit of shaky subject... comparing him to Link and Zelda doesn't really jive because Link and Zelda have been reincarnated numerous times and it's pretty much just a role given to a person more than any one person.

Ganon on the other hand has always been the same demon in every adventure. The exact same guy. He has personally lived out every game.

Demise's hatred is reincarnated into Ganon. But in the face of all the other iterations of Ganon he's the black sheep. The odd man out so to speak.

So by Link terms he could be considered the same person, but by Ganon terms he isn't. If that makes sense.

Oh remember earlier I said Toon Link could be simply dressed like Young Link? Well I made a mock-up of it.
toonyounglink.png

I think it could be a nice compromise but idk.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Dry Bowser is Bowser as bones, I think it's plausible. I'm fine with OoT though because it's gooooooodliiiiiike. (Maybe I'll play more Hyrule characters, though I can probably almost play Random at this point)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom