• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Guys, they said Outset was a standalone right in the article, under the picture of it. Which makes me sad. I was hoping for recolors.

Also, guess we can't have two separate sets of voices for Link. Oh well, all Melee it is then.

splat

Smash Lord
Having color and having detail are not mutually exclusive. I dislike Other M's aesthetics because they're incredibly flat. The 2D Metroid games have both color and detail, each with their own distinct sort of style whereas Other M feels bland by comparison.
Do note that no matter what, the PMBR artists will make sure the costume will fit within Brawl's style, no matter which of the suits will be chosen.

Yeah, TL is an interesting case. They could probably fill his entire alt-costume selection with different-looking costumes. I'll be honest, though, I wouldn't mind at all if they just did recolors for his Outset look. I really like the way that one came out, and having it in different colors (maybe with different colored hair, too) would be really pretty.
Agreed, recolors of Outset would be fine with me, too. Might make a bunch of my own when 3.0 is launched.
I'm not entirely sure what different-looking costumes could be possible - any examples? I do hope it's not a variation of YL, though..

So this is a completely viable alt right? (Please say yes)
Not PM staff, but I think it is, yes.

I sure as hell hope it is in there, possibly my top hope along with Pajama Ness.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Not PM staff, but I think it is, yes.

I sure as hell hope it is in there, possibly my top hope along with Pajama Ness.

Actually it's just a photo edit of Pik's masked man model. That's why I think it'd make for a great alt as Pik already made a masked man to work from for it.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Agreed, recolors of Outset would be fine with me, too. Might make a bunch of my own when 3.0 is launched.
I'm not entirely sure what different-looking costumes could be possible - any examples? I do hope it's not a variation of YL, though...

Oo, if you do those recolors, definitely let me know, I'd totally put them in my game haha. : D

For other TL costumes, these two came to mind:

Those ideas might not be too exciting (I'd definitely prefer recolors), but at the same time they'd be pretty cute and might add some flavor. Then you'd have TL with his four swords colors, dark TL, LttP TL, Outset TL, Minish Cap TL, and Spirit Tracks TL.

That'd be crazy!

Incidentally, I also think TL in a white/gold tunic would look really nice.

splat

Smash Lord
Actually it's just a photo edit of Pik's masked man model. That's why I think it'd make for a great alt as Pik already made a masked man to work from for it.
I thought it was, yes. Pik's Masked Man is awesome - it's the only alt costume I've actually wanted to use before ACE was announced. I've been pushing Masked Man or his costume for Lucas around these boards every now and then..

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Oo, if you do those recolors, definitely let me know, I'd totally put them in my game haha. : D

For other TL costumes, these two came to mind:

Those ideas might not be too exciting (I'd definitely prefer recolors), but at the same time they'd be pretty cute and might add some flavor. Then you'd have TL with his four swords colors, dark TL, LttP TL, Outset TL, Minish Cap TL, and Spirit Tracks TL.

That'd be crazy!
Your images don't work.

I too would love Outset recolors though. I still wanna know how many alts characters can have.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Do note that no matter what, the PMBR artists will make sure the costume will fit within Brawl's style, no matter which of the suits will be chosen.
True, I just don't see it happening for anything related to Other M just because of how incredibly divisive the whole game is. Something like NES Suitless Samus has similar probability to Pit getting his NES appearance because it's simply a far more noteworthy appearance. Hell, I don't see Samus specifically getting color swaps of her Varia Suit when there's a bevy of choices like the Dark Suit, Light Suit, PED Suit, Fusion Suit, etc. that would better show off the huge variety of appearances Samus has had.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oo, that's funky! Basically it was a pic of Minish Cap TL and a pic of Spirit Tracks TL, lookin' fly. I guess I'm a fraudulent scrub tho, cause I can't even post images properly.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Oo, that's funky! Basically it was a pic of Minish Cap TL and a pic of Spirit Tracks TL, lookin' fly. I guess I'm a fraudulent scrub tho, cause I can't even post images properly.
So he'd be the same but with Ezlo dangling off his cap? :p

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
So he'd be the same but with Ezlo dangling off his cap? :p

HAHA, actually yeah I guess that would be a bad costume, it'd be pretty hard to tell normal TL and Minish TL apart. NVM!

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
Conductor Link is the only other one I can think of.
While not an alternate costume, I'd appreciate a set of LTTP alt colors (standard, armor upgrade 1 and armor upgrade 2) being added.

This is the best reference I can find (ignore the left-most Link):

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I know - but I assume they can't just add a blue team costume without adding one for red and green, too. Got me wondering - will we see more Alt Costumes for him, or just more palette swaps of his normal costume - or does his Outset costume go over his old blue team costume?
I considered that when reading your post, but in all honesty, you shouldn't necessarily assume that (unless they've already stated it). This is the PMBR that we're talking about, remember. I'm sure that they could add a second blue team costume without adding a red and green if they really wanted to or had a reason to.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Or perhaps the same but without his cap, like in the start of the game?
That might actually be cool.

HAHA, actually yeah I guess that would be a bad costume, it'd be pretty hard to tell normal TL and Minish TL apart. NVM!
It'd be funny at least to see Ezlo flopping around like a ragdoll! :p

While not an alternate costume, I'd appreciate a set of LTTP alt colors (standard, armor upgrade 1 and armor upgrade 2) being added.

This is the best reference I can find (ignore the left-most Link):
Oooooh, those would be super nice! I guess Link from the Oracle games, with the black hair and faded-ish tunic.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
What will happen to the files for the alt costumes after release? Do they work like textures or will they only be available in a copy of P:M? I'm concerned about people downloading the demo, copying the files and putting them on BrawlVault as their own work.

splat

Smash Lord
I considered that when reading your post, but in all honesty, you shouldn't necessarily assume that (unless they've already stated it). This is the PMBR that we're talking about, remember. I'm sure that they could add a second blue team costume without adding a red and green if they really wanted to or had a reason to.
From a programming POV, I'm not assuming anything - the PMBR team are a bunch of wizards to me.
Though from a 'balance' POV, I can only assume that they'll give something for every team, or for no team at all.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
This video is a great reference for many of the costumes. (Masked Dedede, Dark Bowser, Robo-Sonic, Boxing DK, Adventures Wolf, Hipster Diddy, Falcon Without Helmet, OOT Ganondorf, and Maskless Meta Knight)

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Hahaha, that masked Dedede is adorable.

I wonder what it'd look like if the PMBR did a "Melee Wolf", where he's in that same Melee style as Fox and Falco. That might be pretty awesome, although I'm not an artist so I can't even begin to conceptualize what it'd look like.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
This video is a great reference for many of the costumes. (Masked Dedede, Dark Bowser, Robo-Sonic, Boxing DK, Adventures Wolf, Hipster Diddy, Falcon Without Helmet, OOT Ganondorf, and Maskless Meta Knight)
God bless JoeTE and his brilliant stuff, but I highly doubt anyone aside from him and a few others would want to use the Simulator Sonic as an alternate costume in P:M. Those things are absolutely bland and horrendous.

Rikana

Smash Champion
What will happen to the files for the alt costumes after release? Do they work like textures or will they only be available in a copy of P:M? I'm concerned about people downloading the demo, copying the files and putting them on BrawlVault as their own work.
I'm sure people will know where it came from.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Mega X and Y Charizard, Mega Lucario, Mega Mewtwo X, oot Ganondorf, and classic Sonic would make a pretty awesome alt costume.

B.W.

Smash Champion
It bothers me that they might use multiple costumes for some characters while some get recolors of their current costumes. I'd rather every character just get one costume with recolors rather than some characters have multiple costumes.

I know it's a fan-mod... But it seems really fan-moddish to do this.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It bothers me that they might use multiple costumes for some characters while some get recolors of their current costumes. I'd rather every character just get one costume with recolors rather than some characters have multiple costumes.

I know it's a fan-mod... But it seems really fan-moddish to do this.
Yes, how dare a fan-mod be a fan-mod? XD

Just joking. I actually agree. I'm one of the few who had absolutely no idea what Rob's alt was supposed to be in the vid. It just looked like an average red and black texture you could find on BrawlVault as far as I was concerned. Then again, since I'm not a Nintendo fan and don't memorize it's history, I have no clue what a VirtualBoy is or what it looks like. I don't like or use Rob, but I really would've preferred something more interesting like the Ancient Minister.

And the fact that some characters will have one outfit with recolors, some will have multiple outfits and some will have just new recolors...That's honestly kind of disappointing. It feels very cheap and inconsistent like they don't know what they're doing or what to do. I'm pretty sure most people would prefer for everyone to have one alternate costume with different colors as opposed to such varied treatment.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Giving some characters entirely new costumes would just feel forced. What on earth would you possibly give Game & Watch besides more colors?

Malion

Smash Ace
Long time lurker first time successful joiner (had some issues last time and didn't try again for a few months.

I read through the first 15 or so pages but I figure any repeated info won't be too hurtful.

The added costumes is a great thing in my opinion and showing the game to other people I usuallynote the costumes the most as they are the most strikingly new things (koopa squirtle and shiny charizard for instance)... other than the classic stages and what not. And having more, particularly drastically different costumes is a real nice one.

As I typed this I thought of my avatar with Youngster Joey in it and how that'd be a hilarious alt costume but Pokemon Trainer is no longer in the game so nvm that!

For Yoshi I could suggest baby style yoshi with hair from TYD.

It'd be great if he had alt voices where he actually spoke and said things like "check it out Gonzalez!" of course I'm mostly joking on that front still the change could be cool... perhaps making that baby yoshi full sized would make the diaper and spiky hair a bit weird though. I was trying to remember what that particular Yoshi is called and the name "Yoshua" came to mind but then I remembered that's just what I personally named him in game.

I see a lot of suggestions for a Young Link costume for Toon Link... but that seems a little haphazard what with the body differences... would anyone be open for Toon Link wearing a young link costume? Maybe holding his mirror shield with scary face and guilded sword? Could be cool. Toon Link already has a costume based on classic link and it'd be pretty par for the course I think. I would think there would be pictures of it online but I might have to make up a mock-up in a bit to show you what I mean... if it isn't obvious.

Kirby just needs more colours. a grey, purple, gold maybe?

Pikachu and Jigglypuff could just do with more hats. Like give them both all the trainer hats from each gen or at least the first 3 gens.

Dr. Luigi anyone? lol jk.

pokemon like Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard could maybe have classic looks? Sort of like how Kirby has his classic box art Monochrome look?

They could go for a classic Red/Blue Gameboy coloursheme... a lot of whites and a single other colour.

I think these could be very striking looks without much effort really. Just a thought I realise we are looking more at new alt costumes rather than recolours but I feel some characters don't really lend themselves to costumes as much... unless you want to give these three (and lucario) some hats... which I would not be opposed to.

I saw some people saying Scourge for Sonic, which is a pretty good idea honestly... or at least Anti-Sonic who is just sonic in a leather jacket with sunglasses.

I can't think of much for Nana/Popo other than new colours. Though having them decked out in summer clothes would be pretty funny. Hawaiian shirts and sandals anyone?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Dry Bowser is something I don't see them giving recolors to and it makes sense.

And as interesting as Ancient Minister is, again there's a very clear focus on making the character readable which is something it would detract from heavily.

B.W.

Smash Champion
For some characters multiple colors would be fine. Yoshi, Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Kirby are characters where you'd expect nothing but alternate colors.

Really, characters having multiple costumes with no recolors is what seems... unprofessional. I'd much rather have an Outset Toon Link in blue (default), red, green, and some filler colors like purple or white than one Outset Toon Link, one Toon Link with Ezlo on his head, one Conductor Toon Link, etc.

Also green team Toon Link being Green Toon Link and Ezlo Toon Link would be stupid imo. Way too much of the same thing.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
For some characters multiple colors would be fine. Yoshi, Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Kirby are characters where you'd expect nothing but alternate colors.

Really, characters having multiple costumes with no recolors is what seems... unprofessional. I'd much rather have an Outset Toon Link in blue (default), red, green, and some filler colors like purple or white than one Outset Toon Link, one Toon Link with Ezlo on his head, one Conductor Toon Link, etc.

Also green team Toon Link being Green Toon Link and Ezlo Toon Link would be stupid imo. Way too much of the same thing.
Who said anything about Ezlo Toon Link? Also, please tell me how we are supposed to recolor Dry Bowser without making him look stupid? How are we supposed to recolor Virtual Boy ROB? some of these alts. will only look professional in one color.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

Everyone knew we'd be getting Outset Link as Toonie's alt, and that's fantastic. I just expected we'd be getting multiple variations on the costume. One in green and one in red, at the very least.

I mean for some characters it makes enough sense to have multiple single alts, like Samus and her many suits. But for Toon Link, it makes sense to me to get recolors of it. Hopefully Link gets recolors of his OoT clothes.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
With Dry Bowser, there could be a simple shading effect that changes the color is a subtle fashion without it looking like a unicorn vomited on it. Considering the costume is by default white, it shouldn't be that hard to make adjustments like that. One thing though it that if it's a hard color, it will look ugly.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Well, it appears I may owe Wave a apology in light of a certain PMBR post. So, unless it's debunked for being toooo out there............
BEGIN THE AWAKENING ROY VOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I STILL THINK FE:12 MARTH IS BETTER THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

B.W.

Smash Champion
Something was said somewhere by someone, not sure who, that some characters may or may not have multiple costumes per character.

Also there are plenty of characters that have different colors that don't normally have those colors. Normal Bowser didn't have most of the colors he has, but he turned out just fine. You could easily just change the color of his shell, his bones, his arm bands and his hair and even the color of his eyes if you wanted. It really wouldn't be hard to recolor Dry Bowser without making him look stupid.

Especially when you also consider there are multiple different colors of Dry Bones in the Mario series.

Virtual Boy R.O.B. on the other hand looks like any other recolor period, I don't even know why you would need to worry about what you'd color him at that point, just give him other colors.

Malion

Smash Ace
With Dry Bowser, there could be a simple shading effect that changes the color is a subtle fashion without it looking like a unicorn vomited on it. Considering the costume is by default white, it shouldn't be that hard to make adjustments like that. One thing though it that if it's a hard color, it will look ugly.

I think it could be just as easy as Dr. Mario's recolours. He is initially white and all of his colours are for the most art soft pastels. Like pink instead of red, a light blue and green etc... and maybe a mid-tone grey for good measure.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm really hoping to see a few ZSS and Samus alts. They both have a lot of awesome options that I'd love to see.
I'm also hoping for Kirby to have a Kirby's epic yarn alt and perhaps yoshi with baby mario on his back! :p

u guys think that would be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom