• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
I wish PK Hoo Hah worked better on WiFi. I rarely get to play offline, and the strict timing for the setup is so hard to get with input lag.
Don't get me started on trying to get footstool combos with Lucas.

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
With input lag, you would be lucky if you're able to even get PK freeze out, let alone any combos.
Speaking of which whenever you're playing online have you ever felt like the enemy has no input lag and you get all of it?

notbenny

Smash Cadet
With input lag, you would be lucky if you're able to even get PK freeze out, let alone any combos.
Speaking of which whenever you're playing online have you ever felt like the enemy has no input lag and you get all of it?
That might be because they're used to having the input lag. I'm assuming if that person has a bunch of lag all the time they'd get used to it.

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
That might be because they're used to having the input lag. I'm assuming if that person has a bunch of lag all the time they'd get used to it.
How could anyone get used to input lag? *shivers*

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
The sweetspot is very close to the foot during his animation, it covers an area that extends a bit out of the tip of his foot to around his knee, and is active during the entire duration of the move. I'm not sure how hitbox precedence works in this game, so if an opponent is hit with both the sweetspot and the larger sourspot simultaneously, I don't know which one takes over. You'll generally have more success with the spike the closer you are to the opponent when you hit the b-air.
For his back air, the hitbox priority goes: sourspot (torso/hip area), sweetspot (knee/foot area, and slightly beyond), sourspot, but the sweetspot is the largest hitbox on the attack.

Lucas - 06A - Back air.gif

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I feel you, but I agree it must be them being used to the input lag. Playing against such players frustrates me cause I like to play with a very reactionary style and it feels like they're just throwing moves out and I can never react and/or punish them for it. Also there's always a lag spike when you're trying to recover with PKT... The only thing that's easy about playing them is reading rolls, spotdodges and aerials.

Bair is hard to land, I only do it by accident lol. I guess I need to lab it more.

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
I was bored so I took a few pics of Lucas.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm really quite okay with input lag, doing Lucas combos and Bair spikes isn't a problem for me at all online, especially if I'm playing someone in the same country (granted it's going to be good connection when the other side of the country is a mere 5 hours away by drive. Yay Israel!) but with combos it's generally just easier to try and read where you think they'll go then buffer your inputs.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
It turns out that fire-based attacks instantly thaw frozen opponents, and they take the full knockback of the move. So, if you can hit a recovering player with PK Freeze, you get a free PK Fire snipe offstage. It'll even kill at high percents.

Edit: I found out the reason they take full knockback from PK Fire while frozen is because it hits twice. The first hit thaws them, the second hit launches them. Single-hit fire moves thaw but don't launch frozen players.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It turns out that fire-based attacks instantly thaw frozen opponents, and they take the full knockback of the move. So, if you can hit a recovering player with PK Freeze, you get a free PK Fire snipe offstage. It'll even kill at high percents.
That would be really useful if we get someone far off-stage, though unfortunately that situation is a tad unlikely. Still, I reckon that would be very cool to exploit.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Good on Pink Fresh for becoming more consistent in his Xanadu placings. Repeatedly getting top 8 is good for Lucas's perceived viability.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
One thing I noticed during Pink Fresh's play this time around is that he had an extremely hard time with Feel Tension's keep away. Playing the "don't get grabbed" game against Lucas is painfully effective.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
One thing I noticed during Pink Fresh's play this time around is that he had an extremely hard time with Feel Tension's keep away. Playing the "don't get grabbed" game against Lucas is painfully effective.
Told you guys :p As long as they avoid the grab it's awful for us.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
D-tilt is everything in that matchup, being the fastest way to deter runups along with jab, and leading to the only "safe" way to get grabs on Fox. Then again, the grab game is a stigma all good Lucases need to evolve beyond, so as to be good even without it, or put on enough pressure to get them back in shield to grab. It's difficult, especially with low range, unautocancellable aerials, but it's not healthy to revolve a playstyle around grab, as enticing as the rewards may seem. It's unwise to try to brute force a way past what's meant to be a crutch for the character instead of finding a fluid way around it.

...Honestly if Nairo played Lucas I think it would be a treat to watch.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
D-tilt is everything in that matchup, being the fastest way to deter runups along with jab, and leading to the only "safe" way to get grabs on Fox. Then again, the grab game is a stigma all good Lucases need to evolve beyond, so as to be good even without it, or put on enough pressure to get them back in shield to grab. It's difficult, especially with low range, unautocancellable aerials, but it's not healthy to revolve a playstyle around grab, as enticing as the rewards may seem. It's unwise to try to brute force a way past what's meant to be a crutch for the character instead of finding a fluid way around it.

That's why Lucas's design is flawed, the only reward he gets is by being wreckless, I didn't know we got Claus in this game.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman

The Sheik match-up, especially, is one that you have to learn to play without access to your grab. Even if you powershield Sheik's fair she can still mash out a jab or f-tilt before your grab comes out because lol fair auto-cancels 3 (three) frames after the hitbox disappears.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Well one really positive competitive aspect about Lucas is that most people have no idea how to fight him. Without the proper MU knowledge, he can be really confusing to go up against.

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
Well one really positive competitive aspect about Lucas is that most people have no idea how to fight him. Without the proper MU knowledge, he can be really confusing to go up against.
But you can't always rely on your opponent not knowing the mu. Once they know how to deal with Lucas (such as Sheik players), it becomes much more difficult for Lucas to deal with. That's when you have to learn how to play safe against Sheik players.

dont you know the rules for sxy smesh pictures

full zoom in
8 player smash
palutena's temple
fried emblem characters only c;
I CANNOT LOSE

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Yo, how's everyone been? If I remember correctly, I know I haven't been here in the last 2 1/2 months, so I thought I'd check back in here. On the plus side, I've been labbing Lucas a lot in my spare time, so I really think I've gotten down a lot of the subtle nuances. Of course, that would be better if I was good at this game, but little victories, eh?

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
I did some labbing and found a possibly useful set-up. Starting at around 70-80%, falling nair (such that Lucas lands before the final hit comes out) true combos into down tilt. And you know what down tilt combos into? Damn near everything! You get the best results if only the first hit of the nair comes out, and at >100%.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I did some labbing and found a possibly useful set-up. Starting at around 70-80%, falling nair (such that Lucas lands before the final hit comes out) true combos into down tilt. And you know what down tilt combos into? Damn near everything! You get the best results if only the first hit of the nair comes out, and at >100%.
Would love to test this more. Is it guaranteed? Unfortunately falling Nair is highly unsafe, but if the multi-hit properties of most of Nair allow you to combo into things generally that might have its own applications elsewhere. Thanks a heap! =)

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
So I played my boy for the first time in 2-3 years with an actual person on Brawl, man do I miss him. :(

Every like 6 months I'd go play a match just to fly around, first time I've actually played vs someone though in so long. Even if the game was broken, this character was the funnest.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Would love to test this more. Is it guaranteed? Unfortunately falling Nair is highly unsafe, but if the multi-hit properties of most of Nair allow you to combo into things generally that might have its own applications elsewhere. Thanks a heap! =)
Falling nair > down tilt (or any quick ground move) registers as a true combo in training mode starting at around 80%. You're right in that falling nair isn't entirely safe, but I have managed to pull it off in actual games before. I'd say it's a good mix-up and free damage if it hits, as long as you're facing the right way when you land.

Anyway, for the record, I think Lucas is a pretty good character and doesn't necessarily need any more buffs at this point. An autocancel fair or a better hitbox on uair would be nice, but aren't crucial, in my opinion.

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Falling nair > down tilt (or any quick ground move) registers as a true combo in training mode starting at around 80%. You're right in that falling nair isn't entirely safe, but I have managed to pull it off in actual games before. I'd say it's a good mix-up and free damage if it hits, as long as you're facing the right way when you land.

Anyway, for the record, I think Lucas is a pretty good character and doesn't necessarily need any more buffs at this point. An autocancel fair or a better hitbox on uair would be nice, but aren't crucial, in my opinion.
At least make our uair have a better hitbox like it used to. Pls, or Dair to work properly, and change D Smash so it does shield pressure and is safe af. I'd rather just have 1-2 hits of D Smash instead of 3 with that change, shouldn't be unique to Lucas, Shulks D Smash has insane shield poke.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
At least make our uair have a better hitbox like it used to. Pls, or Dair to work properly, and change D Smash so it does shield pressure and is safe af. I'd rather just have 1-2 hits of D Smash instead of 3 with that change, shouldn't be unique to Lucas, Shulks D Smash has insane shield poke.
Well it's not unique, Ryu's Tatsumaki has the same property as dsmash.

Top Bottom