• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I cri everytime.

Also...CLOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not gonna main him but...the reveal BLEW MY MIND.
It was completely unexpected, yeah.

But as much as I love FF, I dislike how... well, bland he looked. He literally looks and seems to play like every other swordie already in the game. I would've much rather had a more obscure but more unique character than another tall, dark, moody anime swordsman.

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
It was completely unexpected, yeah.

But as much as I love FF, I dislike how... well, bland he looked. He literally looks and seems to play like every other swordie already in the game. I would've much rather had a more obscure but more unique character than another tall, dark, moody anime swordsman.
I got to see the trailer again (while watching some reactions) and some of his moves just...remind me of Ike and Shulk.

I'm interested on how the Limit Break will work though. I imagine it being like KO punch x Monado arts. Giving him a few seconds of boosted stats, but has to be charged. That would be a cool concept. We'll see how he turns out though.

EDIT: Oh...what if it's like Offense Up in PM? I'd like that idea.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I cri everytime.

Also...CLOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not gonna main him but...the reveal BLEW MY MIND.
If Cloud ends up being a better Ike, I might main him tbh. I like Ike's play style quite a bit, but don't enjoy the character himself enough to be committed to maining him. Cloud on the other hand I think is awesome (having played FF7), and his limit breaker gimmick looks like it could be used for all kinds of amazingness. Plus, the green sword/black attire color scheme is hnnnng so damn sexy.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There is one thing I'm nervous about with the official release, and that's the translation. Would they use the fan translation? Is that even legal / kosher? If they used their own translation, I'm wondering how different it would be. I wonder whether there are things the fan translation picked up on that they might forget, and vice versa? It's interesting.

But so soon after bringing out beginnings? I doubt M3 would be translated that soon. But I also think it's a rather silly marketing move for Nintendo to revitalise the Mother series in the west by bringing out EB beginnings, then take the bait away from what might now be an even larger audience and be like "lol nope you'll never get your conclusion."

In other words, I've pretty much been 95% certain ever since Beginnings came out that they're going to push M3 into the west somehow, somewhere, someday. Why even bother re-releasing M1 in the first place if they didn't want to finish what they'd started?

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Because large videogame companies do large videogame company things, which include, but are not limited to, not listening to anybody, especially if they are out-of-country; making bad marketing decisions, not releasing products in some places for no reason, etc., etc.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
It would make perfect sense to release Mother 3 on the VC at the same time as the amiibo. I really wouldn't be surprized if Nintendo started translating as soon as they decided to have Lucas come back into smash. They knew they would release that amiibo eventually and it would give them at least 10 months of time. Also, having Earthbound beginnings in the VC further increases the odds of them releasing the final game as well. Even though I've already played M3 I would buy it, just to support the franchise.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
They released Mother 1 on VC, so why not Mother 3?
But this is Nintendo we're talking about so...

At least we still have the fan translation...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Because large videogame companies do large videogame company things, which include, but are not limited to, not listening to anybody, especially if they are out-of-country; making bad marketing decisions, not releasing products in some places for no reason, etc., etc.
Right, but releasing M1, an ancient, unbalanced game no-one would care about not being there after so long when they could have just let the series die out with no real hope and then doing literally nothing else just makes no sense from any perspective, companies' ones included.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
They released Mother 1 on VC, so why not Mother 3?
But this is Nintendo we're talking about so...

At least we still have the fan translation...
I hope it does get released. I like the little guy enough to wish i played his games ;_;

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
the best way to maintain a good channel is to upload lots of good videos. editing doesn't do that much unless you go all out with Adobe CC or w/e.

also 1080p is pretty good but personally i prefer 1080p60 or even 720p60. /2c

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Hey Guys! I'm so excited! Its been 3 years since I've uploaded to YouTube and now I'm back! Soon I'll have my stream up too!
If anybody has advice to make the channel better, please let me know. I'm not the best at computer stuff! haha

Ness's Revenge! Mekos (Lucas) Vs. Dabuz (Rosa)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq3c4m3_O0&feature=youtu.be

Mekos and Ribs Team up! Pro Lucas and Ness Dubs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhgwrfi1QlQ
Watching that first video really makes me think Lucas definitely does better than Ness against Rosa. And you beat the best Rosalina at that! I know it was WiFi, but perhaps this is a testament to Lucas's viability.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
:D
haha he's still doing his old brawl tricks.
i think taiheita's doubles partner stayed the same as well?
The Lucario, right? I can't recall his name at the monent, but they played at the last Umebura tourney, the one Nairo and Ally and some others flew to in Japan. 2nd in dubs with Lucasio.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh that's exciting stuff. =D

Also, I vote to change thread title to "Graves never looked so scenic (NO ZOMBIES ALLOWED!!!)"

Or "There's no way I can win..." as a humorous reference to Negative Man.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
"Club Titiboo" was a nice name that was suggested a while back.

Also @everyone who is confused as to why Nintendo won't release Mom 3 outside Japan despite the very obvious and almost overwhelming demand: MOTHER 3 contains some characters/themes/scenes//what have you that could be considered a bit...progressive. While that's all well and good in a place like Japan, where mainstream culture (especially video game culture) is generally campy at best, historically countries like the US haven't accepted that sort of subject material very well, especially in the form of a children's game. Even though I personally think that regions outside Japan could really benefit from the release of a game like MOTHER 3 (especially since it already has such a reputation due to Earthbound's cult success and Lucas's inclusion in Smash), and that other countries (or at least the US) have seen games a damn sight more 'objectionable' than MOTHER 3, I can definitely see the logic behind a company as rabidly family-friendly as Nintendo keeping it under lock and key outside their home country for fear of losing their credibility as a safe and family-oriented entertainment producer. Remember, as an example, Nintendo demonstrated that they would rather make the tacit implication that gay people didn't actually exist in the real world than not deliberately program in a barrier for same-gender relationships in Tomodachi Life. I mean, since then, they have apologized, and are making small steps with FE: Fates, so maybe they just need time to ease into the culture and test the waters. I would be all for that, and I know a lot of other Nintendo fans would too. But again, I can see the reasoning behind their hesitance, regardless of whether or not I agree with that reasoning on principle.

Oh also I am low-key tentatively back, hullo again Lucas boards

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"Club Titiboo" was a nice name that was suggested a while back.

Also @everyone who is confused as to why Nintendo won't release Mom 3 outside Japan despite the very obvious and almost overwhelming demand: MOTHER 3 contains some characters/themes/scenes//what have you that could be considered a bit...progressive. While that's all well and good in a place like Japan, where mainstream culture (especially video game culture) is generally campy at best, historically countries like the US haven't accepted that sort of subject material very well, especially in the form of a children's game. Even though I personally think that regions outside Japan could really benefit from the release of a game like MOTHER 3 (especially since it already has such a reputation due to Earthbound's cult success and Lucas's inclusion in Smash), and that other countries (or at least the US) have seen games a damn sight more 'objectionable' than MOTHER 3, I can definitely see the logic behind a company as rabidly family-friendly as Nintendo keeping it under lock and key outside their home country for fear of losing their credibility as a safe and family-oriented entertainment producer. Remember, as an example, Nintendo demonstrated that they would rather make the tacit implication that gay people didn't actually exist in the real world than not deliberately program in a barrier for same-gender relationships in Tomodachi Life. I mean, since then, they have apologized, and are making small steps with FE: Fates, so maybe they just need time to ease into the culture and test the waters. I would be all for that, and I know a lot of other Nintendo fans would too. But again, I can see the reasoning behind their hesitance, regardless of whether or not I agree with that reasoning on principle.

Oh also I am low-key tentatively back, hullo again Lucas boards
But they're okay with swearing in Earthbound?

ilysm

sleepy
Well, yeah.

The inclusion of some curse words in a video game is a far cry from both explicit and implicit explorations of alternative sexualities that occur in Mom 3 (for example, the Magypsies). Not that I think that the content in the game is in any way objectionable (in fact it's one of the reasons why I love and celebrate MOTHER 3 so much), but I'd be willing to bet it's the reason why Nintendo is being so cautious with the game as of now. I can understand it from a marketing standpoint, even if I don't agree with it.

Also, mods, if I'm toeing the line with this explanation for whatever reason, just let me know and I'll change it or you can change it for me if you're so inclined. I don't know what the specific guidelines on this sort of topic are and I defer to your judgement. ^_^

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Off the top of my head I can't think of anything they can edit that won't disrupt the feel of the game, if you know what I mean.

Well, maybe the part where Lucas learns PSI, but that's about it really.

Also, thread title should be changed to "Now available only in Japan"

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Watching that first video really makes me think Lucas definitely does better than Ness against Rosa. And you beat the best Rosalina at that! I know it was WiFi, but perhaps this is a testament to Lucas's viability.
I definitely think Lucas does better against Rosa than Ness. He also does better against Ryu imo.

don't top players always sandbag in friendlies?
Sandbag as in not try and goof around. No. Not against their friends or players they respect. Top and high level players only sandbag against people they don't have to try against because they will still win and it is not fun playing people not around their skill level. That is why they only ask to play with people who can take games off of them.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Anyone feel like they're seeing more and more Lucas online?
Yeah I saw one today, and he was really quite decent, too. It wasn't a close match stocks/percentages wise, but for a long time we were going toe to toe on percent and then it just so happened that I took the stock and started working on his next stock's percent whilst he continued pulling my percents up to the late 100's and never really managed to finish it off. But for the most part we really were trading hit to hit, and our playstyles were highly similar. It was great.

krebstar

Smash Rookie
Well well! I haven't looked over these boards for a couple months and in ashamed! There's so much great Lucas info now. I wanted to main Lucas when he first came out but took awhile to fully dedicate the time. Over the past two months I've almost exclusively played Lucas while phasing back my Mario. Lucas is just so much more fun and rewarding to play. He's been giving me some results in tourney but I can't wait to get home from work and lab out the stuff I've seen today. I've got a lot of Lucas videos recorded and you all should expect to see more of me!

Is there a Lucas specific discord or Skype group?

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
It looks like DI down would beat it well. It also doesn't seem like it would work with heavier characters. Tell me the results of your research!!!
You're right, DI down can safe you from this but there should be a percentage where it doesn't anymore. I'm going to practice this now.

Edit: It looks really easy, but it's not. I got it to work in practice mode, this is stuff I found out so far.
-On Robin Z-air-> Footstool seems to be working on 36% (Comfortably at 38% for me). This is without DI so add a couple percentages for DI.
-General speaking if D-air doesn't pop people up it will jablock.
-D-air pops Robin up on 86%
-This combo works without DI between 38-86% on Robin.

This means that at higher percentages where you can DI all you want and still fail it's guaranteed. Which should be around 50ish%? The range on this is too high to not be a true combo imo. Learning this to extend your footstool shananigans after D-throw footstool stopped working may be the easiest way of landing this.

Edit 2:
More stuff. This doesn't solely have to do with weight! Fallspeed is a huge component as well.
What I so far found is this.
-Fallspeed determines whether this combo works or not and how easy it is. Because this works on Bowser, the heaviest character in the game. But doesnt Fox or even Cpt. Falcon.
-Following this list it starts working on Metaknight.
-Weight determines how much percent is needed for Z-air footstool to work. On Bowser Z-air footstool works at 60%
-Same goes for D-air. D-air jab-locks longer on heavyweights for example for bowser it's 101%
- This combination makes characters like Jiggy, Kirby, Rosalina, Peach and G&W extremely vulnerable. Low fall speed and low weight makes it "easy" and doable on lower percentages.

Edit 3: Apperently King DeDeDe is an exception because Z-air footstool works. So now I'm confused....

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It turned out to be a lot harder than it looked. I was lucky if I got the footstool off in time, the Zair timing needs to be impeccable haha. Good stuff on your testing though MrWhYYZ MrWhYYZ ! :D

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
It turned out to be a lot harder than it looked. I was lucky if I got the footstool off in time, the Zair timing needs to be impeccable haha. Good stuff on your testing though MrWhYYZ MrWhYYZ ! :D
The good thing about this is that using Z-air that upclose is that it'll cross-up on shield which is+3 on shield meaning that if you do it correctly you can actually use the backhits of Jabs to continue pressure or use F-tilt against characters with a slow OoS option. Infact against Link for example you can abuse the living hell out of this because even without going cross-up Link can't do anything about it because using jab afterwards beats all of his offensive options.

Edit: Like I said earlier this should be easier on Peach, Jiggs, G&W etc.
But this actually works on 0% on Peach, so you could potentially 0-death her with just Z-air footstool D-air O.o

Edit 2: Tip for you Luco Luco , Dash first then cancel your dash into jump -> Footstool. That's how I've been doing it so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom