• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
We're all aware of cancelling SH air dodge's lag with bair, right? The thing is, according to Kuroganehammer, Lucas's bair has no autocancel window at the start of the move, so something doesn't add up. Maybe Kuroganehammer is incorrect; I'm not quite sure.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
We're all aware of cancelling SH air dodge's lag with bair, right? The thing is, according to Kuroganehammer, Lucas's bair has no autocancel window at the start of the move, so something doesn't add up. Maybe Kuroganehammer is incorrect; I'm not quite sure.
Lucas is also named Ridley on that site, so who knows.

busken

Smash Ace
For doing the down throw to n-air to footstool combo which set-up from your experience is easier?
Option 1 is to jab lock with d-air after the footstool
Options 2 is to side magnet after the footstool then jab lock with sour f-air

Which one is the most consistent from your experience guys?

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Getting back on Z-air stuff. (I'm sorry I just think it's awesome)
You can actually use this to punish stuff really hard like Mario's F-smash.
Shielddrop, Dash, Dashgrab is too slow but Jump cancel Zair isn't.
Another reason to learn this I guess.

Edit: And for D-throw FS D-air or D-throw FS Magnet, Doing Dair is better becuase if they DI behind you after doing magnet you're not hitting them anymore if they are to high up.

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I really think people are starting to figure Lucas out.

I'm not just talking about well known Lucas mains like Pink Fresh or Spacedong either, I feel like as a whole both in my community (which is obsessed with Lucas) and in online matches, Lucas play is becoming more and more intelligent. There's a lot less grab spam and rushing in with aerials, and a lot more z-air, f-air, and PKF spacing, and patiently playing a ground game with his fast tilts to set up for the kill. It feels like a lot more Lucases are confidently going offstage now too, not just b-air fishing, but interrupting recoveries with n-air or chasing with f-air and z-air.

And personally I really think I'm becoming very proficient with the character as well! I really am glad they decided to put Lucas in the game, I can't see myself having as much fun or being as committed to Sm4sh without him.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat

I'm not just talking about well known Lucas mains like Pink Fresh or Spacedong either, I feel like as a whole both in my community (which is obsessed with Lucas) and in online matches, Lucas play is becoming more and more intelligent. There's a lot less grab spam and rushing in with aerials, and a lot more z-air, f-air, and PKF spacing, and patiently playing a ground game with his fast tilts to set up for the kill. It feels like a lot more Lucases are confidently going offstage now too, not just b-air fishing, but interrupting recoveries with n-air or chasing with f-air and z-air.

And personally I really think I'm becoming very proficient with the character as well! I really am glad they decided to put Lucas in the game, I can't see myself having as much fun or being as committed to Sm4sh without him.
Lucas have really made me more dedicatetd to smash, its weird since i barely knew of him before the first trailer dropped, hah. All games played with him, labbing, a reason to stay & post on the boards, youtubeclips and now streaming. Lucas is endless amounts of fun, in so many ways!

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Lucas have really made me more dedicatetd to smash, its weird since i barely knew of him before the first trailer dropped, hah. All games played with him, labbing, a reason to stay & post on the boards, youtubeclips and now streaming. Lucas is endless amounts of fun, in so many ways!
I agree. Lucas is my favorite character to play as aside from Meta-Knight. I've been playing with Lucas since day 1 of his release.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus

On the topic of good Lucas mains, I think Pink Fresh is going to become a really scary one eventually. He's pretty good as of now, but you can see he's still kind of unpolished due to being relatively new to the game. Give him some more time to sharpen up and he'll become something threatening.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
On the topic of good Lucas mains, I think Pink Fresh is going to become a really scary one eventually. He's pretty good as of now, but you can see he's still kind of unpolished due to being relatively new to the game. Give him some more time to sharpen up and he'll become something threatening.
I have no doubt Pink Fresh will once again make it to the Lucas top players' list; he was one of the holy trifecta Lucas mains of Brawl. :p

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
... Mekos, PF, and.... FAE?
Yep, thereabouts. They were more or less the Lucas mains actually getting results. Mekos' 9th at SKTAR (I think it was SKTAR?) pretty much pulled Lucas out of low tier (also Lucas was far too powerful for low tier tournaments in Brawl), Pink Fresh was known to pop off and beat top players on occasion (pretty sure he beat Logic's Olimar late in brawl's lifespan) and FAE I think did most of his work a little earlier but still was known to place highly and rapidly advanced the Lucas meta whilst being a particularly flashy and technical Lucas.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Got Top 8 at a tournament yesterday. Lost my first match against a Diddy (Grrr Diddy) and then PK-fire'd and D-throw footstooled my way into Top-8 where I lost to Dumbfire Dumbfire Link. I'll get you next time. *Waves fist angrily*

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It seems to be a trend when a character has one noticeably powerful tool:

1. Be awestruck by the tool and resolve to do everything possible to use it.

2. Fail

3. Realize that the character has many other tools to complement the strong one, and that neglecting them in favour of the latter makes their play suffer.

And in the event that they are actually successful at two, it gets nerfed.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Here's something neat. Between 120-140%, sweetspot zair combos into fair, and it can kill.

Speaking of zair, how safe is it on shield? Usually when I land with it I can jab before they shieldgrab me, but what other options do I have?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Got Top 8 at a tournament yesterday. Lost my first match against a Diddy (Grrr Diddy) and then PK-fire'd and D-throw footstooled my way into Top-8 where I lost to Dumbfire Dumbfire Link. I'll get you next time. *Waves fist angrily*
Im just hoping we don't have to face again in tourney any time soon looool

busken

Smash Ace
how reliable do you think n-air footstool is at 30% on midwieghts like mario? I've been doing on wi-fi and it works everytime lol

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
nair footstool is guaranteed, but it's only good if you can follow up very well.
otherwise you can get 5 nairs across a portion of the stage plus a finisher and maybe an edgeguard.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Big day tomorrow. There's less than 20 hours before the Direct fires. I swear to god if anything gets leaked I will stuff an entire Toyota Camry down someone's throat.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Got 5th at a small local losing to the two guys I went with. >.<
At least I'm 100% positive that we win the Rosa match-up because I convincingly beat their Rosa main 2-0.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Lucas's terrible grab is one of the biggest things holding him back. It would certainly be nice to have more buffs.

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
And if that Nair buff is true, then Lucas' combo game will be stronger now that his nair can do 12% instead of 8%.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
This will make his bait & punish game stronger and safer.
Still no AC or Up-air hitbox but this might be enough to get him solidified into the High tier. (Which he already is imo)

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
N-air change is pretty big, more damage also means more shield stun, but likely still not enough to make cross ups safe.

Grab changes Kreygasm.

Now hopefully all this holds true when it officially releases.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Lets say he got 40% less cooldown on all of his grabs
Nair does 12% now

Last edited:
Top Bottom