• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Overall I wish there was more awesome Mother fan art! Here's some cool artwork from Omocat (who overall is a great artist and she does ton of art for other stuff too) and just some random stuff I found.

Oh gosh, the one with <spoiler> and Dr. Andonuts is adorable.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Oh gosh, the one with <spoiler> and Dr. Andonuts is adorable.
All the Masked Man ones are awesome though I like all of them so it's hard to say. Really makes me wish there's a Masked Man Mii Swordsfighter outfit or to do the impossible, Masked Man DLC!?

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
All the Masked Man ones are awesome though I like all of them so it's hard to say. Really makes me wish there's a Masked Man Mii Swordsfighter outfit or to do the impossible, Masked Man DLC!?
I already made a MM Swordfighter Mii with the Neon Suit, the Pilot(?) Helmet, and a creative use of sunglasses. I'm proud of it.

I've also made Teddy, Loid, Porky, Everdred, Jeff, and Duster. If you would want one, I'd happily transfer.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I already made a MM Swordfighter Mii with the Neon Suit, the Pilot(?) Helmet, and a creative use of sunglasses. I'm proud of it.

I've also made Teddy, Loid, Porky, Everdred, Jeff, and Duster. If you would want one, I'd happily transfer.
Oh wow that'd be awesome! Also you think you could take a picture of them because I like making them myself since it gives me freedom to edit them (or use them as my own Mii) since IIRC using QR codes in stuff doesn't allow you to use the Miis.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Oh wow that'd be awesome! Also you think you could take a picture of them because I like making them myself since it gives me freedom to edit them (or use them as my own Mii) since IIRC using QR codes in stuff doesn't allow you to use the Miis.
Sure. Give me a few minutes...

Shaymikyu

I had a Lucas Mii until he was confirmed. He was a Gunner. Still have him, actually...

I also made a Dunban Mii because those clothes are amazing. It loses points for being right-handed, though.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I might main Lucas, we will see excited to play him. Any thoughts on his viability?
Way to soon to say considering he's not even out yet but I have a strong feeling that it's safe to say he'll at least be mid tier and if he's top tier well even better I suppose. I plan on maining Lucas whether he's low tier or not though but he definitely does look promising in my opinion.

@ D Drippy I know they aren't spot-on (Except for Duster, Porky, and Loid, those fools are perfect man) but I did the absolute best I could for the resources I had.

Awesome thanks man, they actually look pretty spot-on , all of them besides a little of the Masked Man but definitely a great job with the limited resources you had and it's especially impressive if you made them yourself.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
you really can't tell what he's going to be because we don't have any idea on Dair, Dash Attack, Dsmash, his other throws or any of his combos, strings or kill power.

He could be top tier, he could be low tier, he could be something in between.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
you really can't tell what he's going to be because we don't have any idea on Dair, Dash Attack, Fsmash, his other throws or any of his combos, strings or kill power.

He could be top tier, he could be low tier, he could be something in between.
well he does still have his Fsmash, apparently it can reflect lloyd rocket while villager is on it

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Unless they fundamentally change his design I doubt he'll be low tier. CGs screwed him over so hard, with them gone it's so much better in every way, and he'll get a lot out of the AD ---> ground lag changes abusing PK Fire when the opponent is trying to land (WHY DID THIS WORK IN BRAWL??) and if we're lucky Nair will have some kind of autocancel frames.

It's nothing definite, as PKBeam promptly pointed out we really don't have much to go off, but if a few things are sorted out I'd like to hope he'll be quite nice. His tether even looks buffed (although to be fair in Brawl it was surprisingly good and only looked bad because when you held on to it, the snake suddenly pulled you in halfway up :laugh: ).

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Lets talk about what we know so far for Lucas as to his moveset, I suppose his special attacks first since it seems they're exactly the same from Brawl / Ness's customs. It definitely seems like Ness's PK Fire is better because SDI was made so much weaker in this game. For PK Thunder, I'm not really sure. Ness's PK Thunder is a solid kill option and if I recall correctly, doesn't PK Thunder for Ness move faster? Either way I'm not so sure about Lucas's PK Thunder, most people are scared to challenge Ness's PK Thunder when trying to gimp because it will kill but Lucas's is much less scary.

Now with the new ledge mechanics, Lucas's recovery with PK Thunder won't be gimped!
That was pretty much a overall buff to all characters with "meh" recoveries though but definitely agreed.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
So @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima
What's with Popo "popo"ing up in your icon?
berserker. said:
Reserved is a cutie on the outside but in the inside, he's an evil popo head
Lavani said:
:icsmelee:

It's fake unfortunately. You can see an orange line around Lucas's shorts, which means someone just badly cropped him out of this picture: http://www.smashbros.com/us/images/dlc/fighter_1.jpg

Also, why is Mother 3 in the 1992-1996 category when the game released in 2006?
Actually, this isn't fully true. In official screenshots, all characters have an orange glow outline thingy: https://i.imgur.com/hRZNaHQ.png

It's listed in the 1992-1996 category because apparently somebody hacked it in over another game.

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Reserved are you okay

Have you been possessed by the leftover data of the Ice climbers

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

We can dream, right?

EDIT: OK IT MAY NOT JUST BE A DREAM. http://imgur.com/gallery/UYfJgKj http://imgur.com/gallery/q2gNNOD
I've been burned one too many times in the past with Mother-based rumors and SSB "leaks" to buy it quite yet. Besides, even if it's there, who's to say they won't have it be exclusive to the Japanese version like they did with EarthBound in Brawl and the original Fire Emblem?
It's fake unfortunately. You can see an orange line around Lucas's shorts, which means someone just badly cropped him out of this picture: http://www.smashbros.com/us/images/dlc/fighter_1.jpg

Also, why is Mother 3 in the 1992-1996 category when the game released in 2006?
Also, this. I noticed the outline, but not the year thing.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
:icsmelee:

Actually, this isn't fully true. In official screenshots, all characters have an orange glow outline thingy: https://i.imgur.com/hRZNaHQ.png

It's listed in the 1992-1996 category because apparently somebody hacked it in over another game.

Here's the thing. The difference in the orange glow is very apparent between the official renders and this leak.

Mario's actually looks like a legitimate glow effect: http://i.imgur.com/S2hCOFv.jpg

Meanwhile the Lucas leak's is much more thin and looks like a bad crop job: http://i.imgur.com/kZBB2Sc.png

Check it out. I brought the image of Lucas with the orange background into Photoshop myself, and used the magic wand tool to delete all the orange around Lucas. The result I got is pretty much the exact same thing as the leak, see: http://i.imgur.com/agbAZ3n.png

This things shopped. Fakeroo.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Here's the thing. The difference in the orange glow is very apparent between the official renders and this leak.

Mario's actually looks like a legitimate glow effect: http://i.imgur.com/S2hCOFv.jpg

Meanwhile the Lucas leak's is much more thin and looks like a bad crop job: http://i.imgur.com/kZBB2Sc.png

Check it out. I brought the image of Lucas with the orange background into Photoshop myself, and used the magic wand tool to delete all the orange around Lucas. The result I got is pretty much the exact same thing as the leak, see: http://i.imgur.com/agbAZ3n.png

This things shopped. Fakeroo.
Oh nice job, overall I don't get excited over leaks. Even the Rayman leak which looked super convincing I didn't fall for because I didn't want to get my hopes high up and to only be disappointed in the end (which did happen to a lot of people who thought it was a real leak)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hmm, Ness' PK fire is about the same really, it traps biggies better but that's about it. In reality, the added safety of Lucas' PK fire is more than enough to justify it's usefulness I reckon. The higher you go in regards to play, the less fantastic PK Fire becomes (although a spaced pivot can really work wonders sometimes!). As for PK Thunder, Lucas' moves slower but is more controllable and sets up for gimps much easier against many characters. PKT2 isn't as challenging, but it's not like you can stop it by running into it, and if the bolt is transcendent like Ness' custom then not much is going to be stopping that thing save for the usual culprits.

The guy's up-front nature about it is strange. He's offering to provide a video, and unlike most fakes, the pictures are taken with a full view of the screen (and it's relatively clear, too). It really just is the matter of the orange glow (which is probably damning in its own right).

I want to maintain my scepticism but I can't help but hope haha. I'll just keep it in the back of my mind, I'm sure I'll be okay when push comes to shove if Nintendo comes out and denies it, or the guy owns up.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Hmm, Ness' PK fire is about the same really, it traps biggies better but that's about it. In reality, the added safety of Lucas' PK fire is more than enough to justify it's usefulness I reckon. The higher you go in regards to play, the less fantastic PK Fire becomes (although a spaced pivot can really work wonders sometimes!). As for PK Thunder, Lucas' moves slower but is more controllable and sets up for gimps much easier against many characters. PKT2 isn't as challenging, but it's not like you can stop it by running into it, and if the bolt is transcendent like Ness' custom then not much is going to be stopping that thing save for the usual culprits.

The guy's up-front nature about it is strange. He's offering to provide a video, and unlike most fakes, the pictures are taken with a full view of the screen (and it's relatively clear, too). It really just is the matter of the orange glow (which is probably damning in its own right).

I want to maintain my scepticism but I can't help but hope haha. I'll just keep it in the back of my mind, I'm sure I'll be okay when push comes to shove if Nintendo comes out and denies it, or the guy owns up.
Oh my bad than, I haven't played Brawl in a long time and made a stupid assumption. I just assumed since SDI was greatly weakened in this game that probably meant that getting out of his PK Fire was harder thus making it in a way better. Also I definitely agreed, I used to lose to Ness players a lot but after getting better as a player overall and learning how to power shield in stuff better, I definitely realized how easily punishable that move is with it's start up and end lag. For Lucas's PK Thunder, I never really considered it's gimping capabilities but I do suppose it would be better like in the case of a Diddy trying to recover with Up B and usually if it was a Ness he'd have time to reuse it quickly, meanwhile Lucas's PK Thunder can continue interrupting it unless you mean something else as well.

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, not sure about the Mother 3 Masterpiece thingy, the outline on the logo is kinda funky but, who knows?
still dying to see what other palettes Lucas has ;-;
also still find it weird that Lucas has Kumatora's PSI moves and Ness has Paula's? Sakurai is a strange man.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I like it, but I'm very used to Lucas' setup now after all. :p

Don't get me wrong, I think they're both very useful moves for different reasons. Ness' is moderate risk ---> moderate/high reward, whilst Lucas' serves a low risk ---> low/moderate (considering stage positioning/putting the other person in a disadvantaged state is valuable) reward. I'm hoping Lucas' will find a great use, the same as it did in Brawl. You wouldn't believe how far that move alone took me in tournament! :laugh:

Drippy

Smash Ace
EDIT: So I've decided on planning to do a Lucas cosplay at Anime Expo along with a Oyasumi Punpun cosplay and probably not doing anything for the two other days? The shirt I already plan on getting from fangamer (because ti comes with a Franklin Badge as well). Not sure where I would buy the shorts though and I guess for the shoes i could just buy converse and dye it or whatever? Also probably going to need a blond wig.

Yeah, not sure about the Mother 3 Masterpiece thingy, the outline on the logo is kinda funky but, who knows?
still dying to see what other palettes Lucas has ;-;
also still find it weird that Lucas has Kumatora's PSI moves and Ness has Paula's? Sakurai is a strange man.
I can't really imagine what they could replace their PSI with, I don't think a Healing / Offense / Defense Up mechanics would be very exciting or fun in my opinion and if you were to use the idea of Jeff / Duster teaching either of them how to use tools / equipments, they don't really strike me as the more strategic type of characters either.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
EDIT: So I've decided on planning to do a Lucas cosplay at Anime Expo along with a Oyasumi Punpun cosplay and probably not doing anything for the two other days? The shirt I already plan on getting from fangamer (because ti comes with a Franklin Badge as well). Not sure where I would buy the shorts though and I guess for the shoes i could just buy converse and dye it or whatever? Also probably going to need a blond wig.

I can't really imagine what they could replace their PSI with, I don't think a Healing / Offense / Defense Up mechanics would be very exciting or fun in my opinion and if you were to use the idea of Jeff / Duster teaching either of them how to use tools / equipments, they don't really strike me as the more strategic type of characters either.
As a person who has cosplayed as Ness (all these little kids who played SSBB thought I was actually Ness because I already naturally look like him to begin with and signed some autographs)i know the requirements to earthbound protagonist clothes.

Converse all-stars are the best for shoes, I suggest getting red ones, and painting the white parts yellow.

for the hair i suggest getting an Elvis Presley wig similar to this http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/pony/19080-large.jpg , dye it dirty blond and gel (or some sticky substance)it so it has a spiky top instead of a rounded top

I got my jean shorts from Value Village, though if you want to get new ones, Denim is the ones you want, which can be found just about anywhere with clothes.

good luck.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That's basically a thing Sakurai likes to do to make characters basically represent all aspects of the game they came from, not just their abilities as a character. From his Famitsu article on Robin/Lucina...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840

It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
Ness and Lucas most likely borrow moves from their party members as a way for them to be representatives of Earthbound and Mother 3 (respectively) in their entirety. A good comparison to this would be, say, Rosalina. She doesn't technically fight with a Luma, or use the cursor, or use Launch Stars in either of the Super Mario Galaxy games, as Mario does all of that. But Rosie in Smash is basically meant to be a personification of those games in a sense, so it'd make sense she's using all of those mechanics in this game.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

Dude i have a complete Ness cosplay at the moment and it is awesome.

Drippy

Smash Ace
As a person who has cosplayed as Ness (all these little kids who played SSBB thought I was actually Ness because I already naturally look like him to begin with and signed some autographs)i know the requirements to earthbound protagonist clothes.

Converse all-stars are the best for shoes, I suggest getting red ones, and painting the white parts yellow.

for the hair i suggest getting an Elvis Presley wig similar to this http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/pony/19080-large.jpg , dye it dirty blond and gel (or some sticky substance)it so it has a spiky top instead of a rounded top

I got my jean shorts from Value Village, though if you want to get new ones, Denim is the ones you want, which can be found just about anywhere with clothes.

good luck.
Thanks a lot man and you got any pictures of your cosplay? I'd love to see it :D

I've been debating about a Ness cosplay too because I'm working on a low budget and just want a easy, cheap, but decent cosplay.

NeonViridian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkknightstar
3DS FC
3282-5023-4419
I personally like how Pk Freeze looks in Project M. Just the sound and the little ice animation makes me happily wanna combo into oblivion.

Top Bottom