• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Starlol9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Starlol9
3DS FC
0130-3074-4775
I cried for a good while when someone posted the love song on here, then this came along https://twitter.com/Starlol999/status/506126367176814592/photo/1 and I jusmped for joy with excitement then I found out it was fake and the waterworks were back on..... if Lucas doesn't return it's going to make the Love theme 10x more depressing :'(
The fact that tweet was mine makes me feel worse... I think myself and everybody else I was talking to it about were grasping straws but we all have to cling on to the fact that the leak wasn't the whole roster and possibly not the final build of the game. Oh and the fact DLC is possible.

The Love Theme always makes me cry and it will be my theme if Lucas is disconfirmed.

Blucas

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why would sakurai cut lucas.
It would be the very first time a franchise gets a left out without a rep, and that never happened with smash.

Inb4 doc, metwo and roy

Roy got replaced by Ike wich had an original moveset and mewtwo was "replaced" by lucario.
Sure Doc got left out but him, mewtwo and roy had plenty of data left in brawl, thanks to the SSE and Sonic.
But now Doc is back, and I don't think lucas would be an alt costume, if anything he's out for good but not as an alt.
Sakurai said in lucina's miiverse post that if a character has different skills then he has it's own slot. Lucas already has a stablished moveset with only 5 moves borrowed from ness.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I don't know why would sakurai cut lucas.
It would be the very first time a franchise gets a left out without a rep, and that never happened with smash.

Inb4 doc, metwo and roy

Roy got replaced by Ike wich had an original moveset and mewtwo was "replaced" by lucario.
Sure Doc got left out but him, mewtwo and roy had plenty of data left in brawl, thanks to the SSE and Sonic.
But now Doc is back, and I don't think lucas would be an alt costume, if anything he's out for good but not as an alt.
Sakurai said in lucina's miiverse post that if a character has different skills then he has it's own slot. Lucas already has a stablished moveset with only 5 moves borrowed from ness.
I think those five have been "borrowed" from Ness because he was going to replace Ness so Sakurai wanted to leave a bit of Ness in Lucas but of course both of them got in :D
The fact that tweet was mine makes me feel worse... I think myself and everybody else I was talking to it about were grasping straws but we all have to cling on to the fact that the leak wasn't the whole roster and possibly not the final build of the game. Oh and the fact DLC is possible.

The Love Theme always makes me cry and it will be my theme if Lucas is disconfirmed.
Oh no don't worry about it I jumped the gun as it is very convincing especially with the fact that you know, Nintendo leaked Ganondorf in that same video the scallywags X3 either I am hoping Lucas get's in so I can buy his amiibo and have it on my wall :)

Blucas

Smash Apprentice
I think those five have been "borrowed" from Ness because he was going to replace Ness so Sakurai wanted to leave a bit of Ness in Lucas but of course both of them got in :D

Oh no don't worry about it I jumped the gun as it is very convincing especially with the fact that you know, Nintendo leaked Ganondorf in that same video the scallywags X3 either I am hoping Lucas get's in so I can buy his amiibo and have it on my wall :)
Yeah, two times he was going to replace him, and I always saw that sakurai had some kind of preference for lucas over him, I don't see why would he drop him after that.

Zanwald

Smash Rookie
I'm not too big on using tiers as an excuse, but according to those lists -made by people who probably know what they're talking about- Lucas isn't all that powerful. He's certainly in one of the lower tiers.
In fact, Ike is a fair amount higher, and Ness is also further up. This applies only to the highest levels of competitive play, however, so I'm guessing you don't play at such a high level (no offense- I'm likely a lot worse than you).

Unless you're talking about Project M, in which case... well, that's not even official, so I doubt SSB4 Lucas would be too similar to that version.

Oh, and @ DoodleDuck97 DoodleDuck97 : Not saying this because it's Ridley, but I hope their smug false certainty comes back to bite them in the ***, then. No-one should be 100 percents certain on anything Smash Bros. as long as Sakurai is in charge, certainly without good evidence to back it up.
I actually do play at a moderately high level and I only call him OP based on the way I play him. He's an asshole of a character to use, in my opinion. All characters can be played in a cheap way.. but that up smash of Lucas' is ridiculously over-powered. I fair fine with his air game. He's all-around more powerful than Ness and his up-B is SO much easier to use AND far more powerful.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I'm not too big on using tiers as an excuse, but according to those lists -made by people who probably know what they're talking about- Lucas isn't all that powerful. He's certainly in one of the lower tiers.
In fact, Ike is a fair amount higher, and Ness is also further up. This applies only to the highest levels of competitive play, however, so I'm guessing you don't play at such a high level (no offense- I'm likely a lot worse than you).

Unless you're talking about Project M, in which case... well, that's not even official, so I doubt SSB4 Lucas would be too similar to that version.

Oh, and @ DoodleDuck97 DoodleDuck97 : Not saying this because it's Ridley, but I hope their smug false certainty comes back to bite them in the ***, then. No-one should be 100 percents certain on anything Smash Bros. as long as Sakurai is in charge, certainly without good evidence to back it up.
The aspects which distinguish Lucas from other characters are still prominent in lower level competitive play, unlike Ice Climbers. Honestly, I can't count the number of times someone has tried to pull a GR trick on me.

Lucas is around Mid-tier, i.e. average. Certainly not OP, even in casual play.
"Deserving" is a wholly subjective term. I don't think anybody "deserves" to be in the game more than any others, as it ultimately comes down to the brass tacks of what works at the time and what Sakurai wants to do this generation. Bowser Jr has his fans and, for better or for worse, he's a unique character with his own moveset. His presence is of great pleasure and interest to certain folks, and it in no way, shape or form impinges upon Lucas being in the game.

Lucas is one of my favourite characters in Brawl and, as sad as I will be if he doesn't make it into the game, lambasting Sakurai for his design choices is redundant and solves nothing. If we really want to do something positive with our time and effort, we can appreciate what he has done for us and accept that, for whatever reasons, he just doesn't feel that Lucas is appropriate for this game. There's every chance we may see him as future DLC or even as an alt for Ness; and although I understand this isn't going to please everybody, at the end of the day, I defy anybody to say it isn't an authentic compromise.

This, on the other hand, I agree with and appreciate. I'll grant you that I find the extent to which a series must go before we regard it as a "separate series" is a wee bit arbitrary, but your interpretation is totally valid and I respect you for defending your points.

Now, on the topic of Lucas's potentially being axed from the roster...

Do I think he ought to be cut? No, not at all. I think he's a distinct and interesting character who's similar to Ness on the most superficial of levels only. To say he's a clone is to ignore or disrespect his massive differences, both aesthetically and conceptually, and also to ignore and disrespect Sakurai's ability to create a diverse and distinguished roster. And yet, to say "well Lucina's just girl Marth so that means Sakurai's lazy and doesn't care about us" is truly nonsensical. I'm not accusing anybody here of saying such things, it's more so a general rebuttal of those self-same sentiments that I notice being expressed without sufficient rationale and cogent argument quite distinctly. I love Lucina as much as I love Lucas, and I quite honestly find it to be a personally crass and rather unfair subject to broach: people can appreciate characters just as much as any others, regardless of how their addition to the roster apparently infringes upon the rights and dignities of the characters that they are apparently wholly responsible for no longer being relevant and endearing.

Ultimately, it's not a case of "Lucina / Doc / Dark Pit / Duck Hunt Dog stole Lucas's slot" - that's getting into the whole argument of whether or not "slots" truly exist, and that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish that I won't even touch. At least as far as I can see it, it's simply a case of "these characters are new, let's enjoy them" and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Lucas's exclusion from the roster. We don't understand how or why Sakurai makes the decisions he does; yet he is the director, and it's up to him to make the tough decisions. If he feels Lucas being cut from the game is to the benefit of the game, then, disagree with and be bamboozled by it as we way, it's the director's call and the culmination of the choices he has had to make.

That being said, I don't think there's any reason to think Lucas is out of the running yet. His prospects for the final roster are looking dim, but as has already been said, there's a lot of potential for DLC or as an alt for Ness: don't give up hope on our little PK prodigy just yet, because I'm sure as all hell he wouldn't give up hope either!
I believe an objective decision could be made but such a thing would be almost impossible so I'd say partially objective - it's clear why Mario should be in the game.

When I say slots, I don't mean "Oh there is only 26 slots exactly", not really "There are 25GB of space in a Wii U disc so that equates to x slots" I mean more like "There are x amount of slots (due to time constraints)". Because one character was made, another could not (DLC exceptions). You can't say a "slot" was stolen but I'd like to think you can say that someone's "slot" could have been used better.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
If Sakurai would just confirm Ness and show 4 of his alt costumes then we could rule out Lucas being Alph'd. But no, apparently he must be a 'secret', because someone, somewhere is doubting the inclusion of Ness.

Or maybe Ness is secret to keep everyone playing mind games over Lucas...
idk, can we just get to Friday already? All this nonsense is doing my head in, and I hardly even use the missing vets.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
If Sakurai would just confirm Ness and show 4 of his alt costumes then we could rule out Lucas being Alph'd. But no, apparently he must be a 'secret', because someone, somewhere is doubting the inclusion of Ness.

idk, can we just get to Friday already? All this nonsense is doing my head in, and I hardly even use the missing vets.
I heard it was Thursday, I was just trying to breeze my lesson at college today so I can see that darn roster to see if my predictions are right THE HYPE IS RISING and it is rising to fast 0.0 .......

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice

I'm with you here. I hate the mind games sakauri pulls on us, and it does drive me crazy also. I don't main lucas, but I still loved how he was in the roster. Mother 3 is my third favorite game of all time (behind chrono trigger and earthbound) and after the love lucas got in brawl, it does seem cruel to give him the ax.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Okay Guys I have been playing Brawl in the part couple of hours and I have been comparing :lucas:&:ness2: and I have to say wow my goodness the two of them are even further apart than I once realised for 1: there final smashes have different angles 2:Lucas has a tether grab unlike most of the other supposed "clones" 3: from what I can tell Lucas's Pk thunder can go higher than Ness's if it is hit right in the sweet spot, so basically from what I'm stating I can't really find the clone aspect of Lucas that others like :4lucina::4luigi::4tlink::falco: have what do you guy's think ?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'm with you here. I hate the mind games sakauri pulls on us, and it does drive me crazy also. I don't main lucas, but I still loved how he was in the roster. Mother 3 is my third favorite game of all time (behind chrono trigger and earthbound) and after the love lucas got in brawl, it does seem cruel to give him the ax.
I think it's just cruel in general for Sakurai to be playing mind games with Mother in general, given how little it has to begin with and that Nintendo seems to ignore it these days. We have had no info on its involvement in Smash aside from 2 items, and it's the only franchise with 2 reps. (that isn't a new franchise being represented with a newcomer) that hasn't had any info on it shown at all. Even Starfox and F-Zero finally got shown, and they haven't had games in YEAAAAAARS (not counting Starfox 3D, its a remake, not a brand new game). Not to mention, if any Mother games gets the spotlight, it's Earthbound, and ONLY Earthbound. Mother 3 is still relatively unknown, which drops Lucas's chances by alot. If Lucas gets the cut, and we don't get a Mother newcomer to replace him, i will be extremely angry at sakurai. I wouldn't even be surprised if the real reason Sakurai hasn't said anything about Mother is because Lucas got cut.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I think it's just cruel in general for Sakurai to be playing mind games with Mother in general, given how little it has to begin with and that Nintendo seems to ignore it these days. We have had no info on its involvement in Smash aside from 2 items, and it's the only franchise with 2 reps. (that isn't a new franchise being represented with a newcomer) that hasn't had any info on it shown at all. Even Starfox and F-Zero finally got shown, and they haven't had games in YEAAAAAARS (not counting Starfox 3D, its a remake, not a brand new game). Not to mention, if any Mother games gets the spotlight, it's Earthbound, and ONLY Earthbound. Mother 3 is still relatively unknown, which drops Lucas's chances by alot. If Lucas gets the cut, and we don't get a Mother newcomer to replace him, i will be extremely angry at sakurai. I wouldn't even be surprised if the real reason Sakurai hasn't said anything about Mother is because Lucas got cut.
Sakurai loves Lucas you can honestly tell by the fact Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Brawl and Melee, the fact that compared to earthbound the Mother 3 love in Brawl is Magical and that Lucas is basically the main character of subspace that isn't a Sakurai character so yes I do believe Sakurai has a soft spot for the under loved franchise's and I have high hopes that Lucas is back, now all we have to do is play the waiting game

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I heard it was Thursday, I was just trying to breeze my lesson at college today so I can see that darn roster to see if my predictions are right THE HYPE IS RISING and it is rising to fast 0.0 .......
It will be Thursday in America, although if the leaker didn't get the the last 5, it will quite possibly be Friday stateside as well before we know all of them. Only gaming related benefit to living in Australia is being so close to Japan. I'm not going to get much done on Friday (unless some madman manages to unlock everyone between the midnight launch and morning). HYPE INTENSIFIES

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
It will be Thursday in America, although if the leaker didn't get the the last 5, it will quite possibly be Friday stateside as well before we know all of them. Only gaming related benefit to living in Australia is being so close to Japan. I'm not going to get much done on Friday (unless some madman manages to unlock everyone between the midnight launch and morning). HYPE INTENSIFIES
I guess hackers could do that, then again the 3ds and Wii U seem to be some of the only console not to be modded in any way (I can't say i have ran into a hacker on Mario kart 7 or 8) so yeah we should be good :p I live n the UK so I am trying to find out when it's on over here :)

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I guess hackers could do that, then again the 3ds and Wii U seem to be some of the only console not to be modded in any way (I can't say i have ran into a hacker on Mario kart 7 or 8) so yeah we should be good :p I live n the UK so I am trying to find out when it's on over here :)
Japan is 9 hours ahead of you, so their midnight launch will be at 3PM for you. (Assuming GMT is in effect, if you're still in summer time then it will be different)

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Sakurai loves Lucas you can honestly tell by the fact Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Brawl and Melee, the fact that compared to earthbound the Mother 3 love in Brawl is Magical and that Lucas is basically the main character of subspace that isn't a Sakurai character so yes I do believe Sakurai has a soft spot for the under loved franchise's and I have high hopes that Lucas is back, now all we have to do is play the waiting game
Well, Lucas did get a decent amount of screen time and char. development in SSE, and there was more M3 love, but still, if Sakurai really loves Mother so much, WHY IS HE AVOIDING AND INFO ON IT AT ALL? -__- You'd think we'd get just ONE rep., either lucas or ness announced by now, but NOOOOOOO. He's just making the Mother fans worry for no good reason. Unless he brings in a Mother newcomer(Ninten alt. for Ness doesnt count), then it's not really a good decision, he just made the fans worry for no reason, and that's being a cruel troll.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
unless he cut them both (and the sad thing is i'm not entirely joking...).
Good thing Ness and leaked and there's a spot beside him that's open (not unlocked yet).

We'll see if he's cut or not soon enough guys, I'm holding onto my last thread of hope.

I at least wanted to see a Mother character in an HD trailer...

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Well, Lucas did get a decent amount of screen time and char. development in SSE, and there was more M3 love, but still, if Sakurai really loves Mother so much, WHY IS HE AVOIDING AND INFO ON IT AT ALL? -__- You'd think we'd get just ONE rep., either lucas or ness announced by now, but NOOOOOOO. He's just making the Mother fans worry for no good reason. Unless he brings in a Mother newcomer(Ninten alt. for Ness doesnt count), then it's not really a good decision, he just made the fans worry for no reason, and that's being a cruel troll.
You're right, he is being pretty cruel to us mother fans, but what if he did have something planned, like a trailer of a very requested character and then show off both lucas and ness in it also. For example, lets just say sakauri decided to bring back mew2, and then him and lucas began to fight for a second, then ness comes to help him. It would be a great refrence to brawl for that one scene from sse, and ness fighting mew2? That's as close as we're gonna get to a ness vs giygue/giygas battle. However, this is all wishful thinking, sadly.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
It was nice knowing you Lucas... rest in peace, my friend. You will always be loved.
Don't lose hope yet. He could very well be on the final roster. We need to keep our spirits up until the bitter end. Until sakauri confirms himself that lucas is out, he still has a fighting chance.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
guessing roster will be out by tomarrow or thursday

Zanwald

Smash Rookie
Okay Guys I have been playing Brawl in the part couple of hours and I have been comparing :lucas:&:ness2: and I have to say wow my goodness the two of them are even further apart than I once realised for 1: there final smashes have different angles 2:Lucas has a tether grab unlike most of the other supposed "clones" 3: from what I can tell Lucas's Pk thunder can go higher than Ness's if it is hit right in the sweet spot, so basically from what I'm stating I can't really find the clone aspect of Lucas that others like :4lucina::4luigi::4tlink::falco: have what do you guy's think ?
Lucas has never been a clone.
Luigi has never been a clone.

Falco can be considered one..

Anyone who plays enough Toon Link will realize that he isn't a clone either.

Anyone who states that Lucas is a clone of Ness has never put much play time in either of them.
Usually because characters CAN share a similar play style people will write them off as clones when that couldn't be farther from the truth. Their strengths lie in completely different areas.

Starlol9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Starlol9
3DS FC
0130-3074-4775
I live in the UK just about an hour away from London. :bee: 4pm is when all the hype starts for me but it does slightly affect what part of the UK you are in. Personally I am in GMT+1. Just going to run off my bus and all the way to my house! I cannot wait! :3

LUCAS ISNT A CLONE GAAHHHHH

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Lucas and Wolf are quasi-clones. They have more unique normals than Toon Link and Luigi do from their bases (and those 2 are already somewhat differentiated from Mario and Link), while still feeling like a variation of their base.

Last edited:

zombieRabbidz

Smash Journeyman
Lucas and Wolf are quasi-clones. They have more unique normals than Toon Link and Luigi do from their bases (and those 2 are already somewhat differentiated from Mario and Link), while still feeling like a variation of their base.
Yeah yet toon link and luigi are back and more of clones so they had a lesser chance than wolf and lucas to be in! Right?

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
I had a dream last night Lucas was announced and he had a more spikey hair cut with redder hair (Like Claus) lol. I'm getting desperate now.

The same happened on Brawl with Ness. Sakurai announced Lucas and said Ness was in the game "up until now", and the community went crazy saying Ness was deconfirmed, and that wasn't helped by the fact Ness wasn't announced until after or near Brawls release.

That was the worst time to be a Ness fan.

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
I had a dream last night Lucas was announced and he had a more spikey hair cut with redder hair (Like Claus) lol. I'm getting desperate now.

The same happened on Brawl with Ness. Sakurai announced Lucas and said Ness was in the game "up until now", and the community went crazy saying Ness was deconfirmed, and that wasn't helped by the fact Ness wasn't announced until after or near Brawls release.

That was the worst time to be a Ness fan.
Yea it sucks, i hope he isn't cut, only time will tell but right now im not getting my hopes up. It would be awesome if he didn't have to cut any characters. I know he said that the both versions were going to have the same roster but it kinda messed up holding the wii u version back for the sake of the 3DS. I mean why can't the wii u version have more characters when it's capable of it?

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Guys, I'm scared of our lil guys. I think they might be cut. ;~;

We can hope not but the day is near, and neither of the PSI boys have been shown... and well, 2 hidden Mother characters... something tells me that's not gonna happen.

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet

We can hope not but the day is near, and neither of the PSI boys have been shown... and well, 2 hidden Mother characters... something tells me that's not gonna happen.
For Ness, im 99% sure that he's back. Considering the leak showed him and there are items from the series in the game. But Lucas is a different story. :(

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006

i highly doubt sakurai would remove both ness wasent reveled in brawl so have faith

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
For Ness, im 99% sure that he's back. Considering the leak showed him and there are items from the series in the game. But Lucas is a different story. :(
Well yeah, Ness is definitely back, but Lucas... I think I've lost faith in his return at this point.

Top Bottom