• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hell yeah. Bacon is amazing actually. Just learn when it's safe to throw that ****, throw 1-3 of them and they actually will give people trouble as they do 5% each with a lot of hitstun so it's easy to combo into aerials and everything. Super underrated move, whenever I have the time and space I throw some Bacon first.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Just use it when you got nothing else to do. Like, when you're outside of your opponent's burst range.
An example is when your opponent is landing, but you're too far away to capitalize with other moves. Then bacon is your best option IMO.

Edgeguarding is probably the best use because you're setting up a bunch of hitboxes that set up to other moves, or at the very least forces your opponent to take a specific recovery-path.

Another, somewhat risky, mixup is to use it as a landing option. There is a certain height above ground where you cannot use an aerial while descending because it will just end up giving you ending lag.
A lot of people are aware of this, and will go for the grab because your only option is to airdodge, or so they believe. That's when I use the bacon, it'll crush their grab(and tornado vs MK, huehuehue)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Thanks man! First time I've gotten PR, hopefully I can stay on it, and rise up more. Gnw ROB best pair in mid tier.

By the way, bacon can put really good ledge pressure if spaced well. It also limits the options of grounded characters, as well as falling characters really well, setting up for some easy fairs/grabs.

Edit: ninjas.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Imagine if bacon had no timer to it and they would always fall until they collide into something. The edgeguarding would be nuts.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
08: Year of the Turtle
09: Year of the Bucket (Braking)
10: Year of the Key
11: Year of the Fishbowl
12: Year of the Manhole Cover
and 2013 is Year of the Bacon

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I tend to use bacon a lot to punish landings. I (think?) it's pretty easy to create frametraps where the opponent either has to just get hit by the bacon or airdodge through into an usmash.

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
Even if it doesn't create a frame trap if you don't use it often, people won't know what to do and at the least you can tack on more damage if they dodge it.

I'm starting to use it as a once a game on-stage tool when the spacing is right. On Battlefield if they are on a platform diagonal to me, I'll use it with a short-hop; pop out 2 slices of fresh bacon and follow up with Nair or Uair (Uair far less often than Nair; if they dodge the air I just double jump into a Nair).

Other than that I use it sparingly as an edgeguard. I tend to get stuck in the 5 bacon-glitch thingy. Stupid me.

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

I just picked up Falco and it seems to be a pretty natural fit for me. Do you think Falco is a good compliment to G&W as a secondary? It seems to be considering some of the MU's like Marth, but others like playing against IC's seems pretty horrendous still. Thoughts?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Other than that I use it sparingly as an edgeguard. I tend to get stuck in the 5 bacon-glitch thingy. Stupid me.

I just picked up Falco and it seems to be a pretty natural fit for me. Do you think Falco is a good compliment to G&W as a secondary? It seems to be considering some of the MU's like Marth, but others like playing against IC's seems pretty horrendous still. Thoughts?
The bacon thing is triggered when you buffer it in the air. Just don't spam the b button while you're already doing a move/airdodge and you should be fine.

And I "mained" falco before I decided to play G&W. I say that in quotes because I wasn't really any good when I played Falco, and picking up G&W was when I actually noticed any sort of skill increase.

But yeah Falco's good lol.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The best non-MK secondaries for GnW are IC's, Diddy Kong, Marth, Snake, ZSS, Wolf, R.O.B.

I would recommend against IC's and Marth, seeing as they are who you need a secondary for. I would say Wolf and R.O.B. are best, just because they are more uncommon and you have a better chance of them not knowing the matchup.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
^Funny, I actually main Wolf now lol.

And IC's players have told me how awkward it is to chaingrab Wolf. In a set with Cryin Bryan (don't remember his actual Smash tag LOL) it went last stock last hit game 1 because he couldn't get the chaingrab down.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wolf isn't awkward to chaingrab, people just need to like practice things. He is like any kinda heavy character.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well you don't really need to practice Wolf. He is like any other character around his weight except you shouldn't walk too far away when doing Fthrow. But most people suck at chaingrabbing anything but lightweights anyways so it doesn't matter.

Patches

Smash Master
So im going to my very last tournament (even though im not sure if im gonna actually be entering it, im only there for the 1st day), but in all my MMs and what not ill be repping GaW. All in all, my 4 year run has been extremely fun. I met A LOT of good people. I went to a lot of places. I made PR at one point which was my only goal. So i think i had a pretty good run.

So carry on fellow GaW players, rep our character and good luck on your smash careers (:

Sar

Smash Journeyman
So guys I need your opinions. Should I go to SKTAR 2 this summer? I think I could make it work and the venue is only 2 hours away from where I live. It would be my first tournament, so I'm a little nervous. How would the whole process work?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So guys I need your opinions. Should I go to SKTAR 2 this summer? I think I could make it work and the venue is only 2 hours away from where I live. It would be my first tournament, so I'm a little nervous. How would the whole process work?
Yes, go. This tournament's going to be huge so you'll see a lot of big names there, as well as a lot of other new people like yourself. Don't be intimidated by all the people, it really adds to a great experience.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
2 hours is nothing, you really should go. Super fun.

Actually considered going to SKTAR myself, but paying over $1100 was a bit too much

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll try to get my friend to go with me too.
So if I entered would I compete in the same pools as all of the big names? I feel like I've seen things like "beginners brackets" before but maybe that's just wishful thinking =P

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You'd be in a pool with 1-2 really good players, 1-2 mid level, and like 1-3 low level players. That would be first round pools (idk if there are multiple rounds), and from that if you make it out of pools it'll all be mid and high level players.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Round robin used to be the norm, but lately pool brackets have increased in popularity.

I doubt doubles will have pools; takes too much time.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
It depends on how many pools there are and how big they are. Honestly I'd expect they'd do bracket pools with how big this will be.

I have yet to go to a tournament with bracket pools, but the biggest tournament I've been to was a regional with maybe 90 entrants. They've all been round robin pools with up to 7 players in them.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Ok, glad to hear such positive comments. I'll try hard to make sure I can go.

Also, how does housing usually work? I'm 18, if that makes a difference.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dunno. I usually just save up a paycheck and that's more than enough for me to travel, house, and spend money on whatever I want.

As far as AZ I think Me and Shawn are pretty much semi confirmed.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Heading to Michigan Masters tomorrow. Not sure who I'll be playing, but I think I'm just going to say balls to the walls and go Meta Knight all day, maybe whip Wolf out every now and then, and maybe G&W for dubs if I enter.

Anyway, wish me luck.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Good Luck. Heading to a Melee/P:M tourney today. I didn't get to practice this week so i'm probably gonna get effed up but oh well

Hopefully Bowser and Marth guide me to SOME kinda victory.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
P:M bowser is ****. I played like ass today in friendlies and like forfeited every event I entered but I had so much fun playing brawl with k9. I didn't expect to play brawl at all but it was amazing. I rarely get that many uninterrupted play sessions with phoenix. I have a lot of matches and I pulled off a lot of sick shiz so I'll show you guys that when I get the chance. Gw vs mk

I'm so serious, people sleep on me but I'm so undercover **** but I think I'll get to show off at sktar.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I actually did well at Mich Masters, placed 9th :)

I did break out my G&W against DRDN when he went Kirby game 1. Last stock I get to like 130, he's at like 50, I bring it back and get him to like 90 and then kill him with a sweetspot Dsmash lol. It was on stream so maybe someone will upload it to Youtube.

I also got double 2 stocked by Whats the Point's G&W in winners. Despite maining the character, I cannot handle playing against him one bit lol.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Nice, congrats. And yeah, I should be a lot better against GW than I am. In particular, our dair is better than i think it is. It always manages to hit/poke me the first few times anyone uses it against me and then i finally get the hang of punishing it.

Safaridor

Smash Rookie
Hey, I was a lurker, but decided to get a bit more into the community. Not that big of a player, as I've only been playing competitively for close to 2 months. I'm currently 3rd at my tiny school (~15 players), but in the recent tourney, lost to the 1st and 2nd of the school(both marth mains).
Nice to meet you all, and look forward to actually participating with the miniscule knowledge I hold about GaW.

Top Bottom