• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
I have literally zero experience in Doubles, friendly or not. And I haven't been to a tourney either, so I have no understanding of what to do in doubles, all I know is G&W is great at it.

It seriously sucks how little activity there is in the G&W boards AND the PacNW region....

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
GnW has a really good recovery, he only has 1 frame where he can get hit out of his UpB during recovery, so most will avoid trying to hit him. However, hugging the edge (or attacking off stage if it's MK) is common.
  • If you have a lot of extra room, using bacon to B-Reverse, or wavebounce to avoid moves and hit with the bacon can save you quite often. (Same if you are being juggled)
  • Using bucket to stall out your momentum if they hug the ledge can have the invincibility wear off, forcing them to either get off the stage or risk being stagespiked.
  • Recovering high in some matchups can work, but be careful with people who can juggle GnW reliably (AKA Marth)
  • After bucket braking, turning around can help (so you can bair to force them to stay further away)
But in reality, GnW has a very liner recovery, just like the rest of his gameplay. He makes up for it by having his recovery be excellent. He has more trouble getting on the stage then getting back to it. I would just plank for days, GnW has probably second best planking game, only being beaten out by MK.
  • often nair, uair, and fair.
  • Drop down nair, then jump back to the ledge.
  • Drop down, jump and nair/fair (fair if they are shielding for the extra safety push) If they are jumping a lot, you can always uair to try and push them away and then get on the stage quickly. Remember that uair can hit through the stage, so you can jump below the stage and uair them.
  • You can also use bacon and plank, it's not nearly as effecting against top tiers, but it can still make them a bit more nervous.
  • DO NOT USE JUDGMENT. A shielded 9 gives so much ending lag on shield, if you do it against another GnW, he has time to drop shield and then fsmash before the lag is even done (just to give some perspective)
Just remember that you have a ledge limit of 35, so if you are going to plank past the 35, you are going to need to finish before time runs out.

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
Great list, MEOW. I don't think I can wavebounce with my controller settings (don't you need to set special moves to the c-stick for that?) but the b-reversal thing is really helpful. My bacon game is awful, though. There was like a two-month period I would never use bacon or Judgment. I'm just getting back into the habit of using them (judgment sparingly, of course) and it's turning my game around.

The planking list was awesome, too. I use a lot of those options, that Judgment advice I had never thought of, I'll stop doing that. Sometimes when I try dropdown to Nair I accidentally Dair. Then again, I always end up accidentally doing short-hop Fair instead of short-hop Nair too.

I really need a new controller, if you can't tell. :/

Sar

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent isn't expecting it, you can upB and chose to not sweetspot the edge and either a) hit your opponent with parachute or b) land with a dair/ff nair. If you manage to squeak it out you don't end up trapped at the edge which can be incredibly useful.

To be honest, ff nair is one of our best options out of the parachute, it's really great for racking damage and applying pressure.

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
Those are some good options, good idea!

So just a moment ago I was playing against my roommates TL, I three stocked him after a techchase Upsmash, then a 8+9 combo as he lost early-life invincibility frames.

Night=good.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
If your opponent isn't expecting it, you can upB and chose to not sweetspot the edge and either a) hit your opponent with parachute or b) land with a dair/ff nair. If you manage to squeak it out you don't end up trapped at the edge which can be incredibly useful.

To be honest, ff nair is one of our best options out of the parachute, it's really great for racking damage and applying pressure.
agreed. landing before the last hit can combo really easily. this also applies to uair. land before the last hit comes out and throw out another move (another nair, dmash, grab, etc.)

also almost every single time i recover low, i save my jump until im near the bottom border or about at the angle i'd normally up-b, use my jump and u-air. the wind hitbox will push them up and away from the ledge if they try and get greedy to gimp me. there's a moment where they can still get down (i'm assuming) between the last uair and the upb, but the window is pretty small and if they mess up they get stage spiked most likely.

also to clarify, the parachute does not have a hitbox when it's deployed

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Late shoutouts to Smiley. I'm having fun remembering that I confused you with some other similar looking guy. I too went to the Big Hit but I went in with no warm up and tons of rust. I got bodied by Bloodcross and I went toe to toe with two players I never heard of but I ended up losing both 3rd matches. I could've advanced to 3rd seed had I unrusted. I know this because I play friendlies with one of the MK players I lost to in pools and I just pretty much whooped him, didn't even lose once.

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
So totally new subject... Is anyone here from the PacWest region, or just from the NW in general? I haven't really met anyone in the regional community... seems more dead than most regions.

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
Really? That's a pretty stupid regional boundary if AZ is WC.

And that's what I thought... everyone up here plays Melee, I ran in to one fellow Brawl player who saw me watching Apex footage in a coffee shop, other than that no contact at all.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^lol

It's because AZ and SoCal and more tight than any of the other states in this region... mainly because these states are barely active or of lower skill... cept Vegas

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we seem to get made fun of a lot up here in the NW... it's a bummer. For a community that's slowly dying and bleeding out members they sure love to ostracize newbies.

Well that might be a bit of a generalization. You guys have been quite welcoming!

Sar

Smash Journeyman
It's always great to see more GWs. We're a little underrepresented on the grand stage, so any new activity is exciting.

I just wish I lived in an area where there were tournaments. I have to either drive 2 hours for NJ/NY tourneys or 2 hours for ones in MA

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I'm in the same situation. Even at college I'm always at least 2 hours away from a tournament, either to get to Columbus/Cincinatti or to a Kentucky tournament. Even though at college it's easier to run into other good players, as at home I'm pretty sure I'm the only Brawler within a 20 mile radius.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
hnnng, had the most stressful wifi session.

played this diddy player a few days ago, only got 2 games in before he had to leave (might've been 1-1? idk). today played him again, i'm using falco and it's pretty much even the whole time. but what i noticed is that he constantly rolls behind me, to where he's almost on top of me. and since it's wifi, i can't really punish it before he throws out a move/grabs me.

so i wind up behind and start laser camping. suddenly he dc's and messages me complaining about camping and how its "punkish and noobish". now i would be laughing at this point, except he keeps winning because of wifi tactics, so he thinks he's a better player than i am. then we just start offing to different other characters and he still resorts to roll behind or (when he played snake) throwing out random fsmashes, and wins because of it. thinking back i should've gone rage g&w, but i just got frustrated and left/removed him without saying anything.

also are you automatically a complete tool if your taunt messages consist of "owned noob" and "why bother?"

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Man I swear mother's day has never been this popular...

It's all over the place this year and I'm not really in contact with my mom anymore...

feels bad man...

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Man I swear mother's day has never been this popular...

It's all over the place this year and I'm not really in contact with my mom anymore...

feels bad man...
edit: I mean it's just inescapeable, I've never ever felt this sensitive about the subject until now...

double edit: oops I meant to edit that post, not quote it

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Been practicing a lot lately for something coming up. Trying to discover something new but this character is just so straight forward. Either way my awareness is getting really good and i'm starting to see things and stuff I didn't notice before. I'm also going ham on my buffering. It's getting smoother.

Still have no way of figuring out this freaking falco matchup though. And I only have like less than 2 weeks so my Pika isn't gonna get solid enough in that amount of time. I'm working on the MK matchup more intensely though.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I find that GW seems really linear too. There really isn't too much diversity in my gameplay, which is something I try to work on too. I've been trying to use grab a lot more? All I know is that I hardly ever used it before, but that seems like its all that Vinnie does O_o

YouKnowMyFunction

Smash Cadet
Really? I think grab is like one of my most used moves, along with upB, Bair, Dtilt, Dair, Nair. (No particular order)

I want to use b-reversal chef more, and hammers

ALL the hammers

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Everyone should use much less dair and Upb and they should see some improvement. GW is linear because you are. Be creative.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yo, My hammer game is so good

I don't use side-b that much anymore though

I was really good at forcing situations to use it too, but the minute i started using those frame traps and baits to net actual good punish options instead of side-b I started to have a much easier time winning lol

my playstyle isnt as cool looking as before though. People still say I look really fun and flashy when I play though which is what I mainly care about, so as long as I can beat the lame characters of the game in a way that looks neat i'm pretty satisfied

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For some reason I try to play GW as a safe spacing character, kinda like Marth. So far it's worked, most GWs seem super aggressive from what I've seen.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah I dunno why that way works. Theoretically it just shouldn't in most cases but in theory gdubs is worse than he is too so meh

Whatever tickles your pickle

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Geez man I hate being so inconsistent. I never know how to feel on tourney day. I'm not nervous because I have the capability to beat most (if not all) of the competition (minus our top 2) but if I play bad (which happens a lot) I'll lose to someone embarrassing. And even if I play mediocre I'll run into some dumb character i'm randomly bad against (Like Olimar or Lucas)

Regardless I'm gonna go in confident and actually use Peach and MK. I always say it but I'm hoping if I post it here I'll actually do it.

Wish me luck ya'll. If I don't post here, I did bad and am embarrassed again.

Edit: meh lost to olimar and marth like always

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You gotta tell me how, I ALWAYS get ****ed up for trying to use bacon like that. For some reason it always perfectly launches with a terrible pattern of trajectory for me. Although I have added bacon into my playstyle with pretty decent success when edgeguarding i'll pop one or two out and then jump offstage and it helps...a little but still at least im managing to use it some.

Top Bottom