• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr. and Toad?

Paper Mario would be a much better character then Bowser Jr. Imagine Paper Kirby! :chuckle:

I don't really see how you could get much of a moveset out of Toad. If a good one has been created I'd like to see it.

I'm definitely for Paper Mario being in SSBB. He may be Mario, but he wouldn't be a clone in any way.
Please, if they could find a good moveset for Captain Falcon, then they can find one for Toad!

Paper Kirby... Would he look something like this?

I can just imagine it... LOL!

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
His final smash should be the 3D thing he does in Super Paper Mario. He change everything 3D temporarily while his opponents remain 2D, and he could hit all of his opponents normally, but the only way they could hit him back is if they use a 3D attack like Link's spin attack. There could even be hidden items in the stages that can only be found in 3D!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
instead of paper mario, i wish they would make a "paper" item (kind of like a metal box) that makes your character paper-like (examples: paper link, paper kirby, etc). the item would make your character smaller, but also faster.
I don't really like the idea.

Paper Mario would be a great addition to the roster. He's popular, and great movesets have already been suggested. It would be a let down to not have him in... and instead have a "paper" item that would make them smaller and faster. That's not what being "paper" is about. -_-

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I have a question:

Paper Mario 2, the color of your Yoshi, does it matter? Because mine is light blue with a yellow swirl on his head. He looks silly and I'd rather have him as any other color, but as long as he still fights the same I'm ok with it. Unless he fights BETTER than the other Yoshi's... then I love him!

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
Please, if they could find a good moveset for Captain Falcon, then they can find one for Toad!

Paper Kirby... Would he look something like this?

I can just imagine it... LOL!
Toad move set-

Speed- 4/5 Power- 4/5 Defense- 3/5 Jump- 1/5

^B- parachute hat, toad takes his hat off and it inflates like a parachute, allowing him to float as if he had an umbrella, and is canceled when he is attacked or when the down button is pushed. While on this parachute his legs flail back and forth, doing damage to anyone who touches them.
Strategy- since this move grant toad no extra height, but gives him floatiness it is best to use this after getting knocked off stage to float back, so if you double jump back and are still below the level of edge grab this move does you no good. Another good way to use this move is to jump over someone and activate it…

B>- summons mushroom, toad reaches down, pulls an item out of the ground, and throws it in front of him. Each item has a different effect, whether it is positive or negative. Move cannot be done in the air
Item list-
Poison mushroom- 5% damage every second for 10 seconds
death mushroom- instant KO
1 up mushroom- gives an extra head in stock battles, or raise score by 1
regular mushroom- heals player 20%
giant mushroom- turn giant for 30 seconds
Turnip- does 15% damage when thrown
Shrink mushroom- shrinks for 1 minute
Bomb- explodes doing 20% damage

VB- release spores, toad releases spores from his mushroom that spreads out in a cloud around him. If an opponent enters the cloud he becomes confused and his movements are reversed, meaning that up becomes down, left becomes right, and visa-versa. This not only effects general movements but button combos, so pressing VB while confused produces your ^B move. Can be used in the air
Strategy- this move is incredibly effective against speed characters, comboers, and jugglers who would otherwise have an unfair advantage over toad because of his poor jumping ability, and if you’ve ever played earthbound when you get a mushroom on your head you know how it feels to have your movements reversed.

B- hat trick, toad climbs into his enormous hat, negating all damage inflicted upon him while in hat. If done in the air the hat will spin, doing damage to anyone it hits in its decent and bouncing twice after hitting the ground. Watch out though because toad can be kicked while in hat trick mode. Lasts three attacks

Final smash- mushroom cloud, toad’s hat builds up energy and expands until it explodes releasing a large cloud of poison gas onto the field. All opponents caught in the blast are poisoned and stunned for 20 seconds.
Toads A moves are a mix of wrestling, grappling, and tackling moves which utilize his speed and power to the fullest. Oh and did I mention that he has the weakest jump in the game.

theres a moveset for yah brawlmart. oh and papermario would be pwn@ge in brawl. but if dedede and IC make it in thats 3 hammer users. i wouldn't mind the spin hammer though, that thing was the best

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
I have a question:

Paper Mario 2, the color of your Yoshi, does it matter? Because mine is light blue with a yellow swirl on his head. He looks silly and I'd rather have him as any other color, but as long as he still fights the same I'm ok with it. Unless he fights BETTER than the other Yoshi's... then I love him!
You think Yoshi looks silly, because he's light blue with a yellow swirl on his head, man, Yoshi all ways looks silly, and the one from Paper Mario 2 is F***ing silly.

Topic:
I love the idea of Paper Mario being on Smash, I mean he's the face of Mario RPG's, and RPG's are big. Also I really think Paper Mario will not be a clone, and will have his own moves set, and yes they will be sick A**. All ways with a new playable character, a new playable stage. Paper Mario character and stage, FTW.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Honestly I would like a Mario(Paper Version) to be in, but I fear that there is a likly hood of having a stage (afterall Paper Mario series now has a legacy to be upheld)

Hejiru

Smash Ace
I think it would be a good idea to include Paper Mario as a character in Brawl.

Moves

B: Smashes with his hammer. If you hold B, you can charge it up.

B+Side: Mario performs a Spin Dash, like he does in the Paper Mario games. It also stuns opponents if you run into them.

B+Up: Mario jumps high in the air, and performs a Spin Jump (aka "Ground Pound")

B+Down: He is made of paper, afer all. When you used this move, Paper Mario falls flat as paper onto the ground, to avoid enemies. (You can't attack like this, and you can not stay like this forever.) This trick can come in handy if someone else has a hammer or something. Paper Mario can, however be hurt my moves that hit the ground, like Kirby's Down+B move.

Also, if Mario uses this move while in the air, he becomes flat, and falls much more slowly, like a piece of paper.

Final Smash: ?

Vali

Smash Ace
Let's bump this thread up a bit shall we? Reposting my moveset from Wiseguy's thread to here.

Paper Mario

Weight: 1
Size: 2.5
Strength: 4
Speed: 4
Reach: 3
Fallspeed: 1.5

Paper Mario's strengths lies in decent speed and strength but has a major weakness in being easily KOable since...well he's made out of paper and thus shouldn't weigh hardly anything at all.

Why?

First of all, he isn't a clone of Mario whatsoever. The fact that he has many attacks RPG style and certain signature moves from his games (such as hammer attacks) that wouldn't befit regular Mario at all proves this, as well as Mario using attacks (punches and kicks) and signature moves (fireball) that have absolutely nothing to do with Paper Mario and when you really take a look back on the moves they actually share in common, that amounts to practically nothing. This ain't a Doc Mario/Mario sort of relationship, Paper Mario really can hold his own against his rather more weighty alter ego.

You may be thinking to yourself now "Yeah, OK, I see your point, he won't be a clone. So what? That isn't a 'why' he should be in!" Well if you actually need a why he should be in, you've obviously never played the Paper Mario games. They are utterly fantastic, RPG brilliance in such a fresh way that breathes life back into a franchise which doesn't deviate from the norm as much as it should. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to play SPM yet (thanks Nintendo! Screwing over Europe since 1975!) but from what I've heard and read it's equally fantastic (deserving in the +9.0 scorewise) as both PM1 and 2 which I can thoroughly recommend. With 3 vastly successful installments in the series, and arguably one of the best Mario spin-offs (in my opinion better than Mario Kart) of all time, I would think that it deserves a little representation.

To those that have never played Paper Mario games, let me explain. In the first 2 you are playing as Paper Mario in a wonderfully colourful and stylised world (different in each game of course). The entire world is 3D yet 2D at the same time and they use this to great advantage in both conveying the art form and style of the game as well as using it in puzzles and environments. The second one also introduces different field abilities and puzzles which use this feature more predominantly too. The whole story is told through the device of a storybook and your goal of both is to collect an amount of object X to thwart the evil doer. It is obviously much more complicated than that (kinda, it's Mario after all) but it illustrates nicely how the game is split up as you play through "Chapters". Character customisation is simple yet effective, at level up you can choose to increase either HP or FP (like mana points for all attacks other than default moves) by 5 or BP (badge points) by 3. Badges are the real ingenius part of Paper Mario 1 and 2 because by equipping them it allows great character customisation, and they add such things as new moves, different stat upgrades and added effects. Anyway if you haven't played either and are a fan of RPGs, I strongly recommend either (Wii VC download for the first if you can or cheap GC buy for the second).

Onto more moveset related things.

Paper Mario brings uniqueness, my moveset will attempt to prove that. Since I haven't played SPM I obviously cannot really use any of those elements found in it for a moveset but since it is more platformer I think I would make a better moveset from using the more RPG orientated first 2. What Mario brings to the table that no other would is partners. Any character could have a moveset based on their game with hammer moves and aerial attacks but what they can't offer are interchangable B moves reaching into a wealthy backcatalogue of partners. If this moveset was done more for SPM I would have a standard B moveset with interchangable B moves with different Pixels, but since the design PM1 and PM2 are so similar it wouldn't make sense to not take advantage of that. After all, half the partners in PM2 are revamped, improved versions of some of those found in PM1.

So what we're looking at here is a potentially very fun, unique moveset with the protagonist from an under-repped but very successful spinoff franchise who just happens to be Mario, albeit a bit flatter. Paintbrush boy (I'm looking at you Bowser Jr.!) can go suck a lemon, or something. That a big enough wall of text? I think so, right, onto the actual moves.

The Moveset

Ok, so here I'll just list the moves that Paper Mario will use, drawn from PM1 and 2 with references showing which game they're coming from. If there ain't a reference, it's because I couldn't think of anything and so yeah, made it up or stole it. Just as a little disclaimer, don't expect this moveset to be balanced or anything since I wouldn't have a clue where to start, any figures produced for damage or lagtime are purely placeholders for if a developer should choose to pick this up (never going to happen) and put some proper figures in their place.

A moves

A - Swings the hammer horizontally to the right - 2%
A,A - Swings the hammer horizontally to the left - 2%
A,A,A - Standard over-the-head hammer attack (PM1+2) - 5% (not an infinite A combo)

A->(tilt) - Fire Drive, creates a fireball and hits it with his hammer which then travels in a straight line for a short distance before fizzling out. Projectile A move? A tilt move? Yeah I went there. (PM2) - 9% (If anyone wants to ***** about it, the far more generic "Ice Smash with a small chance of freezing could be used, but this is far more fun isn't it?)
Av(tilt) - Quake Hammer, slams the hammer down infront of him causing major damage to those infront of him and a small quakey splash damage to those in a line infront of him for a small distance. Those hit by the hammer will also suffer the quake damage. (Adaptation from PM1+2, since he doesn't actually hit them with the hammer) - 7% / 4%
A^(tilt) - Hammer Throw, throws the hammer vertically up and then catches it again (PM1+2) - 8%

A->(smash) - Ultra Hammer, Paper Mario winds up (literally) and then unleashes a devastating blow for large damage. He continues to spin afterwards, doing minor damage to those who contact him for that brief period. The more you charge the smash, the more he winds up, just to be clear (PM2) - 15-23% / 4%
Av(smash) - Mega Quake, slams the hammer into the ground beneath him sending out devastating quakes either side of him. This move has high vertical knockback (Adaptation from PM1) - 14-21%
A^(smash) - Spring Jump, Paper Mario winds down (again, literally, he's paper you know) and then launches himself up vertically. Winds the more you charge and goes a greater vertical distance on top of additional damage (PM2). - 10-20%

Dash attack - Spindash (attack version), Paper Mario spins like a whirlwind dealing damage to anyone in his path (PM1). 8%

Nair - Spin Jump, Paper Mario rotates himself midair, proving a deadly blow to anyone that gets in the way of his spinning legs or finds themselves on the receiving end of Mario's bottom. While this move won't propel you downwards it will stop all upwards momentum (due to no downward stompyness, more of an adaptation of PM1+2) - 12%
Fair - Tornado Jump (PM2 version), Paper Mario spins forward, creating a tornado which combos enemies for 7 hits - 2% per hit, 14% max damage
Dair - Tornado Jump (PM1 version), Paper Mario spins vertically upwards before sharply coming back down again. While it propels you up vertically at first, the overall effect of the move is that you end up lower than you originally started. The downwards component only brings you down for a limited amount of time, and is also a meteor smash - 2% per combo on the way up (max 3 hits for 6%), 8% for the stomp
Bair - Power Jump, Paper Mario kicks behind him with vast power (PM1+2 adaptation) - 13%
Uair - Hammer Jab, jabs vertically upward with his hammer - 10%

Grab Moves

Paper Mario doesn't grab. Feet or hammer to the face is as about as close and personal as he gets, so this section will be improvised.

A - Hammer bonk, hits them on the head with the hammer - 3%

Forward - Throws them up slightly and hits them away with the hammer similar to Fire Drive but with human(ish) fireballs - 10%
Up - Spins round and then throws them vertically upwards - 8%
Backward - Winds up, spins around similar to Ultra Hammer and releases them flying backwards - 12%
Down - Hammers them down towards the ground - 9%

B Moves and Partners

This is where it gets interesting and unique. A simple tap of B will perform "Quick Change" which will simply swap to the next partner of which there are 4. The partner mechanics are simple, they provide the Bv and B> moves for Paper Mario and follow him around wherever he goes but never attack unless initiated with Bv or B>. They also affect the final smash for Paper Mario, as his final smash (to be expounded upon later) will be partner based. First the 2 moves which don't change.

B^ - Paper Mario plane (PM2) - Sure every little boy knows how to make a paper airplane, but only Paper Mario knows how to turn himself into one. He's that awesome. This move is controlled like it in the game, being that you need to push up to control it's descent otherwise it'll fall and be very ineffective, thus decent Paper Mario players will need to master the intricacies of aviation. This move has great horizontal recovery, potentially really awesome if you're good, but no vertical recovery whatsoever. However with Tornado Jump (PM1 version), Paper Mario does has (albeit a very limited) vertical recovery. Should players bump into the plane, they'll suffer a paper cut. Fools! - 8%

B - Quick change (PM2 badge) - Paper Mario switches between his 3 partners; Kooper (PM1), Bobbery (PM2) and Vivian (PM2) which rotate in that order, Kooper being the default partner but holding different buttons (Z for Bobbery, A Vivian) between stage selection and the match starting will result in different starting partners. Not much delay on the partner change and Paper Mario can't attack during it.

Partners

Kooper

Best Koopa going, even with the slightly tacky name.

B> - Dizzy Shell (PM1 Dark Koopa version minus the hilarious grin), Kooper is shot out spinning creating a tornado which disables/dizzies players who run into and then continues to spin on the spot for 2 seconds before returning - Anyone hit by the shell takes 9% damage, tornado does none

Bv - Shell Toss (PM2 improved version), Kooper is jumped on by Paper Mario and shoots out forwards before rocketing backwards past Paper Mario. If B continues to be held, Kooper will stay fixed on the spot until B is released at which point he will fire backwards - 14%

Admiral Bobbery!

You can't not love him, it's technically impossible.

B> - Bomb Squad (PM2), With a cheeky wink, Bobbery throws 3 miniature bomb-ombs in an arc over Paper Mario's head to land apart in a line infront of him. The bombs explode a short time later - 5% each

Bv - Bomb, with a cheeky wink, Bobbery starts to walk at his leisurely pace forwards for 3 seconds before exploding and landing back at Paper Mario's side. Another press of Bv at any time will stop Bobbery in his tracks, but he won't explode instantaneously as he'll take the remaining time of the 3 seconds to explode instead - 20%

Vivian

Much better than Casper.

B> - Shade Fist (PM2), Vivian appears infront of Paper Mario and punches forth with a flaming spectral fist - 14%
Bv - Veil (PM2), Vivian grabs Paper Mario and hides him in the ground for upwards of 1.5 seconds, at which point they resurface and Paper Mario suffers 0.5 seconds of delay. Paper Mario is immune to all attacks while under Vivian's Veil - 0%

Final Smash

Alright so Paper Mario technically has 3 final smashes depending on which partner he has out.

With Kooper out: The Koopa Bros. for PM1 appear and stack onto of Koopa in his shell, making a 5 man Koopa tower. Each Koopa in the tower adds to the height, making the Shell Toss move much harder to avoid. Dizzy Shell is replaced with "Fire Shell" (PM1) which does 22% per hit but you lose 1 of the Koopa Bros. each time you use it until all 4 Koopa Bros. are lost. Affect ends prematurely if Paper Mario is KO'd. Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

With Admiral Bobbery out: Bob-ombast, Admiral Bobbery walks foward, gives a cheeky wink and explodes feriociously damaging all in the blast radius for 50% damage with huge knockback (PM2). Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

With Vivian out: Fiery Jinx, Vivian engulfs the arena in pillars of flame which do 30% damage each. Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

Kirby Hat

Kirby inhales Paper Mario and transforms into Paper Kirby, as seen in this excellent picture posted by Brawlmatt.

While in this form, he gets whichever partner Paper Mario had out at the time and B changes to whatever the partner's Bv was (so either Shell Toss, Bomb or Veil).

Taunt

Paper Mario does his end of chapter celebration pose (I believe they're the same in both PM1 and 2) while his partner does his appeal move from PM2 although in the case of Bobbery this would have to be adjusted to a smaller height after the explosion since he can't go flying off for a star KO. This is accompanied by some confetti.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Not to go off topic, but what do you guys think of this? I know I mis-spelled collided and the graphics at the bottom are a bit off, but still the same, what do ya think?

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
The paper version of Mario sounds like a lot of fun (more fun than G&W), but his chances would be very slim. It's not like he would be a clone of regular Mario, but I don't think are going to be two versions of the same character as seperate slots. Just look at ZSS for example.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Didn't read all the moveset... but Airplane would be a glide function... he'd get something good for an Up B.
If he replaces Game and Watch, or even if not, he can have the assisting friends that he gets throw him up, kinda like Game and Watch's Up B.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Let's bump this thread up a bit shall we? Reposting my moveset from Wiseguy's thread to here.

Paper Mario

Weight: 1
Size: 2.5
Strength: 4
Speed: 4
Reach: 3
Fallspeed: 1.5

Paper Mario's strengths lies in decent speed and strength but has a major weakness in being easily KOable since...well he's made out of paper and thus shouldn't weigh hardly anything at all.

Why?

First of all, he isn't a clone of Mario whatsoever. The fact that he has many attacks RPG style and certain signature moves from his games (such as hammer attacks) that wouldn't befit regular Mario at all proves this, as well as Mario using attacks (punches and kicks) and signature moves (fireball) that have absolutely nothing to do with Paper Mario and when you really take a look back on the moves they actually share in common, that amounts to practically nothing. This ain't a Doc Mario/Mario sort of relationship, Paper Mario really can hold his own against his rather more weighty alter ego.

You may be thinking to yourself now "Yeah, OK, I see your point, he won't be a clone. So what? That isn't a 'why' he should be in!" Well if you actually need a why he should be in, you've obviously never played the Paper Mario games. They are utterly fantastic, RPG brilliance in such a fresh way that breathes life back into a franchise which doesn't deviate from the norm as much as it should. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to play SPM yet (thanks Nintendo! Screwing over Europe since 1975!) but from what I've heard and read it's equally fantastic (deserving in the +9.0 scorewise) as both PM1 and 2 which I can thoroughly recommend. With 3 vastly successful installments in the series, and arguably one of the best Mario spin-offs (in my opinion better than Mario Kart) of all time, I would think that it deserves a little representation.

To those that have never played Paper Mario games, let me explain. In the first 2 you are playing as Paper Mario in a wonderfully colourful and stylised world (different in each game of course). The entire world is 3D yet 2D at the same time and they use this to great advantage in both conveying the art form and style of the game as well as using it in puzzles and environments. The second one also introduces different field abilities and puzzles which use this feature more predominantly too. The whole story is told through the device of a storybook and your goal of both is to collect an amount of object X to thwart the evil doer. It is obviously much more complicated than that (kinda, it's Mario after all) but it illustrates nicely how the game is split up as you play through "Chapters". Character customisation is simple yet effective, at level up you can choose to increase either HP or FP (like mana points for all attacks other than default moves) by 5 or BP (badge points) by 3. Badges are the real ingenius part of Paper Mario 1 and 2 because by equipping them it allows great character customisation, and they add such things as new moves, different stat upgrades and added effects. Anyway if you haven't played either and are a fan of RPGs, I strongly recommend either (Wii VC download for the first if you can or cheap GC buy for the second).

Onto more moveset related things.

Paper Mario brings uniqueness, my moveset will attempt to prove that. Since I haven't played SPM I obviously cannot really use any of those elements found in it for a moveset but since it is more platformer I think I would make a better moveset from using the more RPG orientated first 2. What Mario brings to the table that no other would is partners. Any character could have a moveset based on their game with hammer moves and aerial attacks but what they can't offer are interchangable B moves reaching into a wealthy backcatalogue of partners. If this moveset was done more for SPM I would have a standard B moveset with interchangable B moves with different Pixels, but since the design PM1 and PM2 are so similar it wouldn't make sense to not take advantage of that. After all, half the partners in PM2 are revamped, improved versions of some of those found in PM1.

So what we're looking at here is a potentially very fun, unique moveset with the protagonist from an under-repped but very successful spinoff franchise who just happens to be Mario, albeit a bit flatter. Paintbrush boy (I'm looking at you Bowser Jr.!) can go suck a lemon, or something. That a big enough wall of text? I think so, right, onto the actual moves.

The Moveset

Ok, so here I'll just list the moves that Paper Mario will use, drawn from PM1 and 2 with references showing which game they're coming from. If there ain't a reference, it's because I couldn't think of anything and so yeah, made it up or stole it. Just as a little disclaimer, don't expect this moveset to be balanced or anything since I wouldn't have a clue where to start, any figures produced for damage or lagtime are purely placeholders for if a developer should choose to pick this up (never going to happen) and put some proper figures in their place.

A moves

A - Swings the hammer horizontally to the right - 2%
A,A - Swings the hammer horizontally to the left - 2%
A,A,A - Standard over-the-head hammer attack (PM1+2) - 5% (not an infinite A combo)

A->(tilt) - Fire Drive, creates a fireball and hits it with his hammer which then travels in a straight line for a short distance before fizzling out. Projectile A move? A tilt move? Yeah I went there. (PM2) - 9% (If anyone wants to ***** about it, the far more generic "Ice Smash with a small chance of freezing could be used, but this is far more fun isn't it?)
Av(tilt) - Quake Hammer, slams the hammer down infront of him causing major damage to those infront of him and a small quakey splash damage to those in a line infront of him for a small distance. Those hit by the hammer will also suffer the quake damage. (Adaptation from PM1+2, since he doesn't actually hit them with the hammer) - 7% / 4%
A^(tilt) - Hammer Throw, throws the hammer vertically up and then catches it again (PM1+2) - 8%

A->(smash) - Ultra Hammer, Paper Mario winds up (literally) and then unleashes a devastating blow for large damage. He continues to spin afterwards, doing minor damage to those who contact him for that brief period. The more you charge the smash, the more he winds up, just to be clear (PM2) - 15-23% / 4%
Av(smash) - Mega Quake, slams the hammer into the ground beneath him sending out devastating quakes either side of him. This move has high vertical knockback (Adaptation from PM1) - 14-21%
A^(smash) - Spring Jump, Paper Mario winds down (again, literally, he's paper you know) and then launches himself up vertically. Winds the more you charge and goes a greater vertical distance on top of additional damage (PM2). - 10-20%

Dash attack - Spindash (attack version), Paper Mario spins like a whirlwind dealing damage to anyone in his path (PM1). 8%

Nair - Spin Jump, Paper Mario rotates himself midair, proving a deadly blow to anyone that gets in the way of his spinning legs or finds themselves on the receiving end of Mario's bottom. While this move won't propel you downwards it will stop all upwards momentum (due to no downward stompyness, more of an adaptation of PM1+2) - 12%
Fair - Tornado Jump (PM2 version), Paper Mario spins forward, creating a tornado which combos enemies for 7 hits - 2% per hit, 14% max damage
Dair - Tornado Jump (PM1 version), Paper Mario spins vertically upwards before sharply coming back down again. While it propels you up vertically at first, the overall effect of the move is that you end up lower than you originally started. The downwards component only brings you down for a limited amount of time, and is also a meteor smash - 2% per combo on the way up (max 3 hits for 6%), 8% for the stomp
Bair - Power Jump, Paper Mario kicks behind him with vast power (PM1+2 adaptation) - 13%
Uair - Hammer Jab, jabs vertically upward with his hammer - 10%

Grab Moves

Paper Mario doesn't grab. Feet or hammer to the face is as about as close and personal as he gets, so this section will be improvised.

A - Hammer bonk, hits them on the head with the hammer - 3%

Forward - Throws them up slightly and hits them away with the hammer similar to Fire Drive but with human(ish) fireballs - 10%
Up - Spins round and then throws them vertically upwards - 8%
Backward - Winds up, spins around similar to Ultra Hammer and releases them flying backwards - 12%
Down - Hammers them down towards the ground - 9%

B Moves and Partners

This is where it gets interesting and unique. A simple tap of B will perform "Quick Change" which will simply swap to the next partner of which there are 4. The partner mechanics are simple, they provide the Bv and B> moves for Paper Mario and follow him around wherever he goes but never attack unless initiated with Bv or B>. They also affect the final smash for Paper Mario, as his final smash (to be expounded upon later) will be partner based. First the 2 moves which don't change.

B^ - Paper Mario plane (PM2) - Sure every little boy knows how to make a paper airplane, but only Paper Mario knows how to turn himself into one. He's that awesome. This move is controlled like it in the game, being that you need to push up to control it's descent otherwise it'll fall and be very ineffective, thus decent Paper Mario players will need to master the intricacies of aviation. This move has great horizontal recovery, potentially really awesome if you're good, but no vertical recovery whatsoever. However with Tornado Jump (PM1 version), Paper Mario does has (albeit a very limited) vertical recovery. Should players bump into the plane, they'll suffer a paper cut. Fools! - 8%

B - Quick change (PM2 badge) - Paper Mario switches between his 3 partners; Kooper (PM1), Bobbery (PM2) and Vivian (PM2) which rotate in that order, Kooper being the default partner but holding different buttons (Z for Bobbery, A Vivian) between stage selection and the match starting will result in different starting partners. Not much delay on the partner change and Paper Mario can't attack during it.

Partners

Kooper

Best Koopa going, even with the slightly tacky name.

B> - Dizzy Shell (PM1 Dark Koopa version minus the hilarious grin), Kooper is shot out spinning creating a tornado which disables/dizzies players who run into and then continues to spin on the spot for 2 seconds before returning - Anyone hit by the shell takes 9% damage, tornado does none

Bv - Shell Toss (PM2 improved version), Kooper is jumped on by Paper Mario and shoots out forwards before rocketing backwards past Paper Mario. If B continues to be held, Kooper will stay fixed on the spot until B is released at which point he will fire backwards - 14%

Admiral Bobbery!

You can't not love him, it's technically impossible.

B> - Bomb Squad (PM2), With a cheeky wink, Bobbery throws 3 miniature bomb-ombs in an arc over Paper Mario's head to land apart in a line infront of him. The bombs explode a short time later - 5% each

Bv - Bomb, with a cheeky wink, Bobbery starts to walk at his leisurely pace forwards for 3 seconds before exploding and landing back at Paper Mario's side. Another press of Bv at any time will stop Bobbery in his tracks, but he won't explode instantaneously as he'll take the remaining time of the 3 seconds to explode instead - 20%

Vivian

Much better than Casper.

B> - Shade Fist (PM2), Vivian appears infront of Paper Mario and punches forth with a flaming spectral fist - 14%
Bv - Veil (PM2), Vivian grabs Paper Mario and hides him in the ground for upwards of 1.5 seconds, at which point they resurface and Paper Mario suffers 0.5 seconds of delay. Paper Mario is immune to all attacks while under Vivian's Veil - 0%

Final Smash

Alright so Paper Mario technically has 3 final smashes depending on which partner he has out.

With Kooper out: The Koopa Bros. for PM1 appear and stack onto of Koopa in his shell, making a 5 man Koopa tower. Each Koopa in the tower adds to the height, making the Shell Toss move much harder to avoid. Dizzy Shell is replaced with "Fire Shell" (PM1) which does 22% per hit but you lose 1 of the Koopa Bros. each time you use it until all 4 Koopa Bros. are lost. Affect ends prematurely if Paper Mario is KO'd. Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

With Admiral Bobbery out: Bob-ombast, Admiral Bobbery walks foward, gives a cheeky wink and explodes feriociously damaging all in the blast radius for 50% damage with huge knockback (PM2). Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

With Vivian out: Fiery Jinx, Vivian engulfs the arena in pillars of flame which do 30% damage each. Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

Kirby Hat

Kirby inhales Paper Mario and transforms into Paper Kirby, as seen in this excellent picture posted by Brawlmatt.

While in this form, he gets whichever partner Paper Mario had out at the time and B changes to whatever the partner's Bv was (so either Shell Toss, Bomb or Veil).

Taunt

Paper Mario does his end of chapter celebration pose (I believe they're the same in both PM1 and 2) while his partner does his appeal move from PM2 although in the case of Bobbery this would have to be adjusted to a smaller height after the explosion since he can't go flying off for a star KO. This is accompanied by some confetti.
In my opinion, you should add all sidekicks from every Paper Mario Game.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Acctually despite being a diffrent mario he could easily have a uniqie moveset

OMFG that moveset rocks!

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I wouldnt mind him being in(I think he would be quite fun) but I realy doubt a second mario form takeing a slot. It would be cool, but only if there was a slot a totally different character than mario could fill that was worth while.(for example ray01).

NukeA6

Smash Master
I find it sad that people don't want Japan-only characters yet want alternate versions of playable characters.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
That is one awesome moveset Vali, a lot better than what I what I had in mind. Great job!;)
He'd be an awesome character if that were his moveset. After seeing that, now I really want him to be in the game. I'm crossing my fingers really hard for this.

Paper Mario for Brawl!

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I find it sad that people don't want Japan-only characters yet want alternate versions of playable characters.
I find it dumb that you'd rather a Japan Only character instead of a completely unique version of a character. You'll never convince me he's not Brawl Material.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I find it dumb that you'd rather a Japan Only character instead of a completely unique version of a character. You'll never convince me he's not Brawl Material.
Find it dumb? We already have Mario. He can do everything Paper Mario can. Should we have Link from Zelda 2 as well?

Try telling me this list of characters isn't unique:

Stafy
Demille
Lip
Tatsumaru
Sukapon (who has no chance)

Japan-only characters aren't the only unique characters. We even got these guys:

Ridley
Simon Belmont
Krystal
Ray 01
Midna
Vaati
Micaiah
Any Fire Emblem character not using a sword
Balloon Fighter
Olimar
Any Animal Crossing Character
Waluigi (yes I said it)
Most Pokemon
and many more

And I can care less if this doesn't convince you. You're the one who claimed Ephraim had a high chance being playable anyway.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Find it dumb? We already have Mario. He can do everything Paper Mario can. Should we have Link from Zelda 2 as well?

Try telling me this list of characters isn't unique:

Stafy
Demille
Lip
Tatsumaru
Sukapon (who has no chance)

Japan-only characters aren't the only unique characters. We even got these guys:

Ridley
Simon Belmont
Krystal
Ray 01
Midna
Vaati
Micaiah
Any Fire Emblem character not using a sword
Balloon Fighter
Olimar
Any Animal Crossing Character
Waluigi (yes I said it)
Most Pokemon
and many more

And I can care less if this doesn't convince you. You're the one who claimed Ephraim had a high chance being playable anyway.
What the hell is Ray 01?
Midna is AT material, she's practically one in the game.
Waluigi has no chance.
How dare you say Sukapon has no chance!
Demille..is who?
Stafy...I thought it was Starfi.
Olimar..I heard his game is gay.
You are an idiot. I said it myself that I don't support Ephraim numerous times on the thread.
Most pokemon don't have priority over Paper Mario.

Give a ****ign solid arguement. You're losing my respect with this idiocity.

NukeA6

Smash Master
What the hell is Ray 01?
Midna is AT material, she's practically one in the game.
Waluigi has no chance.
How dare you say Sukapon has no chance!
Demille..is who?
Stafy...I thought it was Starfi.
Olimar..I heard his game is gay.
You are an idiot. I said it myself that I don't support Ephraim numerous times on the thread.
Most pokemon don't have priority over Paper Mario.

Give a ****ign solid arguement. You're losing my respect with this idiocity.
LMAO :laugh:

Look who's talking. You say you heard Pikmin is gay yet fail to see how high his game scored in reviews.

You say you don't support Ephraim but you used to. What's funny is that you bumped his thread for no good reason. It almost looked like you still had hope for the spearmen.

BTW, I did come with solid arguments a few posts back.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
LMAO :laugh:

Look who's talking. You say you heard Pikmin is gay yet fail to see how high his game scored in reviews.

You say you don't support Ephraim but you used to. What's funny is that you bumped his thread for no good reason. It almost looked like you still had hope for the spearmen.

BTW, I did come with solid arguments a few posts back.
I never saw his reviews.

I never did support Ephraim, ad I bumped the thread because the other one was at the front page. If you simply look at my spaced out posts, you'll have no reason to troll the Paper Mario thread.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I never saw his reviews.

I never did support Ephraim, ad I bumped the thread because the other one was at the front page. If you simply look at my spaced out posts, you'll have no reason to troll the Paper Mario thread.
You never did support Ephraim? Then explain to me what were all those posts you made in that thread?

Oh I forgot; you're banned. I guess I'll never get the explanation.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
You never did support Ephraim? Then explain to me what were all those posts you made in that thread?

Oh I forgot; you're banned. I guess I'll never get the explanation.
You shouldn't make a fool out of people who can't hear you. That's just plain cowardice.

Anyways, He made those posts to test out if it would be closed by Mic_128 He tried to defend it, so that wouldn't of been his 6th locked topic for not using the advanced search. (quick search isn't going to help anyone)

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
"We already have Mario. He can do everything Paper Mario can."

Mario can fold into a paper airplane?

I guess we don't need any more people with swords, since Ike and Link can swing their swords. And what is DeDeDe doing getting in? We already had somebody who could use hammers.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario? Bleh, what differentiates him from the regular Mario?

Don't bother to tell me that it is because "he is a paper form", mind you.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace

He's in a different ****ing universe where everyone's paper and the overworld is 3D. Read Biggie's posts. There is no proof to link him to the rest of the timeline. Guess why there's no Wario, Daisy, Bowser Jr. and Waluigi!

His timeline started by the ending of Super Mario Brothers. Unless you can prove that he is just the same guy in paper, you're not doing anything.

Hell, he could have the Icon that Geno uses! They're from the same series. The only problem, though is that SE might object(Because Paper Mario 64 wasn't legally the sequel to Super Mario RPG, but it is in the perspective of nintendo.

I even have proof : http://sotss.classicgaming.gamespy.com/media/prerelease/pm/smrpg2.jpg . Still don't believe me? Look at the overworld map in Paper Mario 64 and the backgrond of the title screen...THERE'S A STRIKING RESEMBLANCE! So yeah. I'll have to copy and paste this to deal with arguers.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet

I think the right way to ask the question would be "What makes him the same as regular Mario?" His name and general color scheme (most of the time)...that's about it. Mario never uses 95% of the moves Paper Mario does; even without partner moves, he'd still have badge/star power moves different from anything Mario ever did outside the Paper series. Spinning hammer attacks, quake/fire hammers, spring jump, maybe something like Supernova as a Final Smash, etc.

At the same time though, I noticed a lot of people saying "he could replace G+W", and I disagree with that. Game and Watch is (in a sense) an older character than Mario, and his presence in the series is sort of like an ongoing tribute to Gunpei Yokoi. (Personally I like to think that if he does get in, his stage will also be a part of "Superflat World".) Having one doesn't mean you can't have the other. The Mario RPGs deserve character(s) to represent them, and Paper Mario is one of the most recognizable, unique, and viable.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I didn't intend to start trouble. I was curious, that's all. I will read Wu Tang Gang's link there among other posts...

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
I didn't think you did, I was just elaborating on the reasons why I think he'd be a good addition (even if he's not the most likely RPG addition). I hope that's the spirit in which my post would be interpreted.

Top Bottom